Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

System Damage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> System Damage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
System Damage - 1/1/2009 10:05:36 PM   
Marcus Agrippa

In terms of sys damage generated by routine operations, how much is too much? I've noticed my ships seem to be accumulating it pretty rapidly and I'm wondering when I should bring them in for repair. (Part of the problem is I ran them at full speed a lot, something I now know not to do.)

Additionally, will my ships get system damage if they're sitting in a port hex, not moving? Or do I need to disband the task force to avoid suffering damage?
Post #: 1
RE: System Damage - 1/1/2009 11:01:47 PM   
Quixote

How much is too much is going to be different for every player, and will even be different for the same player at different times in a certain game. If it helps, when I have plenty of assets ( like Japan at the start of the war ), I'll start putting ships in for repair with 8 or 9 sys damage. There have been other times when I've felt it necessary ( and once even comfortable ) to use ships with 45+ damage. There's no hard and fast rule, and you'll figure out what works for you as you go along - just have fun with it.

(in reply to Marcus Agrippa)
Post #: 2
RE: System Damage - 1/1/2009 11:03:28 PM   
Quixote

Sorry - and no, your ships won't get damage docked or disbanded. Unless someone bombs them, then all bets are off.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 3
RE: System Damage - 1/1/2009 11:36:42 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quixote

Sorry - and no, your ships won't get damage docked or disbanded. Unless someone bombs them, then all bets are off.

Don't think this is entirely true... if you have ships DOCKED (not disbanded) and enemy recon flights go over the port, or the port is attacked, the ships will usually put out to sea, and redock at the end of the turn and can accumulate SYS damage sometimes (although it is not often)... in addition, they can use up ammo and OP points when this happens... usually this isn't really that noticeable, but it can be when there are a lot of recon flights, etc. over the port.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 4
RE: System Damage - 1/2/2009 1:23:29 AM   
Quixote

Bob,
I only had the patience to run a dozen or so tests, but over 300 recon sorties on each of those turns managed to cause exactly zero damage to 100 docked, not disbanded, ships. I had different ship types, different aircraft types, different altitudes, and different TF types - didn't make any difference. What you say makes sense in real life, but I don't think you have to worry about it in the game. While it's outside the scope of Marcus's question, you CAN be hit by a search plane while docked, but you can also be hit by a port strike when disbanded, so pick your poison - Alex.

(in reply to Marcus Agrippa)
Post #: 5
RE: System Damage - 1/2/2009 1:06:25 PM   
Marcus Agrippa

Thanks for the help. As usual, nothing in this game is simply "the answer is 42."

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 6
RE: System Damage - 1/2/2009 2:49:05 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quixote

Bob,
I only had the patience to run a dozen or so tests, but over 300 recon sorties on each of those turns managed to cause exactly zero damage to 100 docked, not disbanded, ships. I had different ship types, different aircraft types, different altitudes, and different TF types - didn't make any difference. What you say makes sense in real life, but I don't think you have to worry about it in the game. While it's outside the scope of Marcus's question, you CAN be hit by a search plane while docked, but you can also be hit by a port strike when disbanded, so pick your poison - Alex.

Hmmm... well, i used to not infrequently pick up some SYS damage in this circumstance under 1.6xx, however, i haven't encountered it in 1.8xx (not had the same siege condition with ships at port pop up)... i had maybe 5-6 recon flights/day going over the base... don't recall the number of ships, but it was substantial, and the siege went on for some time (weeks-months).

It MIGHT have been changed under 1.8xx, but i suspect the conditions have to be extreme for this effect to show up... however, the loss of OPS points, ammo was noticeable without too much effort.

(in reply to Quixote)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> System Damage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI