Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

First day of game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> First day of game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
First day of game - 1/1/2009 9:08:57 PM   
rasnell

Read the entire manual and dug right in with small, random scenarios. Getting the hang, but really find the manual lacking on these basic questions:

1. Land cap. Not one reference to this in the index of the manual, but it appears that trucks help the land cap. How do I know and track this? How important is it?

2. Transfer costs. When trying to make a transfer of units from supreme HQ to subordinates, a cost is shown. What is this cost and how do I raise the funds/points to cover it?

3. Bombers. I have created bombers and put them in their own formation. I cannot figure out how to use them. I click on an enemy unit, see the button to attack with bombers, and choose my bomber formation, but they are never eligible to attack. I don't get it.

4. Are Production Points (PP) the same as cost mentioned in #2 or do they only relate to expenses for formations, HQ and research?

5. No view of enemy attacks. When I click to end a turn, the AI goes through its steps. I hear combat and see a generic table of my losses, but why don't I see the same battle screen with stats as when I make the attack?

Thanks for any help on these key points.
Post #: 1
RE: First day of game - 1/1/2009 10:24:24 PM   
british exil

3. Bombers might be out of range of hex you want to attack. Be careful to add a few fighters to protect your bombers, otherwise you won't have bombers left to bomb anything.

5. You have to look at the history after every turn. Click on the icon lower left with the little book pic.

Hope I could help you a little.

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 2
RE: First day of game - 1/1/2009 10:34:18 PM   
SSFSX17

1. In the generic game, LANDCAP is absolutely important. It determines your capacity for transfers and strategic transfers.

2. The cost is the weight * basic transfer cost. To increase the points to cover it, you need more LANDCAP. The basic transfer cost may be different in certain scenarios, but it is usually 10 per hex.

4. Political Points are different from Production Points. Production Points go towards the costs for building things, while Political Points are used for formations, HQs and research. However, in other scenarios, Political Points may also be required to declare war, build certain kinds of locations, etc.

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 3
RE: First day of game - 1/1/2009 11:21:14 PM   
rasnell

How do you increase landcap? Add trucks? How do you use them? Transfer trucks to where needed or just have them in HQ to handle landcap costs?

Also, my bombers were adjacent to the attack hex. Simply cannot use them. Enemy had no aircraft so I felt safe with bombers alone. Just don't know why they won't function.

(in reply to SSFSX17)
Post #: 4
RE: First day of game - 1/1/2009 11:39:52 PM   
SSFSX17

In the generic game, you increase LANDCAP for specific HQs by giving them trucks, horses and halftracks. Trucks are the most efficient way to provide LANDCAP.

About your bombers, can you provide screenshots of your actions? The bomber formation is resting on a town or airfield, correct?

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 5
RE: First day of game - 1/2/2009 1:21:59 AM   
Mike Dubost

About the bombers, there are 2 different "air attack" functions, "bombing raid" and "air strike". The first is for strategic bombardment of production centers or attacks on bridges and the other for tactical bombardment of the units.

Is it possible you are clicking on the strategic bombing button with a unit of dive bombers alone? Or, would the dive bombers still attack the location? I haven't tried it with only dive bombers.

One thing that I had trouble remembering at first was that after clicking on the air raid button (or artilley bombardment, same deal), you select the unit(s) to do the raid, and then have to select the green check mark to issue the attack order to them. I frequently forgot the check mark and wondered why nothing happened when I hit the "attack" button. When the units are actually ordered to attack, you will see them below the defenders in the "battle order" box on the right hand side of the screen. You then just click the "attack" button and watch the carnage (ideally, of the defender, not of your attackers, ).

Is this the exact sequence of events in your attack, or are you confused like I was?

< Message edited by Mike Dubost -- 1/2/2009 1:22:04 AM >

(in reply to SSFSX17)
Post #: 6
RE: First day of game - 1/2/2009 1:26:29 AM   
rasnell

quote:

ORIGINAL: SSFSX17

In the generic game, you increase LANDCAP for specific HQs by giving them trucks, horses and halftracks. Trucks are the most efficient way to provide LANDCAP.

About your bombers, can you provide screenshots of your actions? The bomber formation is resting on a town or airfield, correct?

There's the problem. I moved the bombers outside of the city. Wow. Lot of hidden stuff not in the manual. Thanks for solving my issue -- I think, after I try that.

(in reply to SSFSX17)
Post #: 7
RE: First day of game - 1/2/2009 5:31:39 AM   
rasnell

Another question: Is it a bad idea to leave yourself without any action points or to transfer units into the only existing division defending in a city? It appears that you weaken yourself so significantly that you can lose the city easily.

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 8
RE: First day of game - 1/2/2009 1:28:25 PM   
Twotribes

I do not agree. A unit is not weakened by adding troops to it UNLESS they are from a different HQ's. Even then if a unit is depleted enough it will fall with out reinforcement.

Now AIR units with fighters set to intercept you do not want to add more to if you want that unit to fly any intercepts that turn.

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 9
RE: First day of game - 1/2/2009 3:03:58 PM   
Joshuatree

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I do not agree. A unit is not weakened by adding troops to it UNLESS they are from a different HQ's. Even then if a unit is depleted enough it will fall with out reinforcement.

Now AIR units with fighters set to intercept you do not want to add more to if you want that unit to fly any intercepts that turn.

Indeed. Be very carefull with reinforcing from your Supreme Headquarters to a unit which is subordinate to another HQ. They'll lose a lot of readiness... so only do this in an emergency situation, or when the unit is in a safe spot.

Oh and about the fighters/ bombers not functioning.. are you using the advanced pt master? ... with the seasons? Then when it's... autumn if I'm correct they can't fly because flyboys hate cold weather :-)

< Message edited by Joshuatree -- 1/2/2009 3:05:47 PM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 10
RE: First day of game - 1/2/2009 3:40:43 PM   
Twotribes

there are 2 mud turns after summer and 2 more after a 4 turn winter. Planes can not fly in Mud turns, they fly fine in winter.

One of the reasons I do not use many low level Headquarters is because of the readiness thing.

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 11
RE: First day of game - 1/2/2009 4:20:30 PM   
82ndtrooper

keep trucks in your hq for landcap. (trucks,horses,halftracks,trains) if you look at the information on a unit landcap is reffered to as TRANSCAP  its the same thing.

planes in your HQ will prevent it from moving normally so watch out for that.

the history button is on the lower right.

divebombers only do airstrikes not bombing raids

level bombers can do both.

read this it really helps you learn about supply in the game

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1723339

practice doing stratic transfers  thats a big trick in this game that helps a lot.

there are topics in these forums that will explain just about anything you need, I am new also and I have been able to find out allmost everything i needed by browsing these forums.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 12
RE: First day of game - 1/2/2009 5:18:35 PM   
82ndtrooper

also go here and download the small hotfix for version 1.2 it think it is  just scroll down a little and you will see it.  this will save you a lot of grief took me two weeks to find out you needed this.

http://www.advancedtactics.org/index.php

this is needed especially for the WaW scenario's

this is also where you can download player made scenarios which are awesome and make this game extrodinary.

< Message edited by 82ndtrooper -- 1/2/2009 5:22:02 PM >

(in reply to 82ndtrooper)
Post #: 13
RE: First day of game - 1/2/2009 7:59:12 PM   
rasnell

When auto-upgrading, do you need supplies, PP or what to fulfill the request?

What is People's Republic in the settings?

What is AI Optimization? Several threads talk about using it, but they don't specify exactly what this strategy does for gameplay speed, toughness of AI opponent, etc.

Post #: 14
RE: First day of game - 1/2/2009 8:13:17 PM   
82ndtrooper

auto upgrading uses your supplies in stock aka "real"

peoples republic i think means all the towns and cities start under the control of the peoples republic which isnt very strong but you have to take them from it.

ai optimization means that the map will be created to make the AI function better  which means you will have small towns about every 5 hex's in every direction.  ( I think thats the main premise for it)

can read this thread
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1990083

and this thread
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1990316

hope this helps

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 15
RE: First day of game - 1/3/2009 4:51:42 AM   
rasnell

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me enjoy my first two days of this game. As I begin to understand, this is an amazing game that pushes chess-like strategy to a whole new dimension.

One more question: When a city is captured, is damaged and is red, what needs to be done to heal the city and get full production? Hold turn by turn, use engineers to do some sort of repair?

Post #: 16
RE: First day of game - 1/3/2009 4:57:48 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rasnell

Many thanks to everyone who has helped me enjoy my first two days of this game. As I begin to understand, this is an amazing game that pushes chess-like strategy to a whole new dimension.

One more question: When a city is captured, is damaged and is red, what needs to be done to heal the city and get full production? Hold turn by turn, use engineers to do some sort of repair?

Use your engineers to "build or repair"; button on the right side of the series of buttons below the main map display. It also happens every turn but it can be too slow sometimes.

Also note that your planes and other units that go into damaged cities take a readiness penalty, not good.

< Message edited by Jeffrey H. -- 1/3/2009 4:58:30 AM >

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 17
RE: First day of game - 1/3/2009 5:07:15 AM   
Twotribes

Also be aware that if you enable Nuclear weapons that a city or town can be completely destroyed by attacking it even non nuclear.

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 18
RE: First day of game - 1/4/2009 10:24:02 AM   
Joshuatree

Note on the engineer thing, engineers have EP points, "engineer points", they collect them each turn. The more EP points your engineer unit has the more it repairs the city. Also the more engineers your unit has the faster it collects EP points as each engineer collects a certain number of EP points.
I usually create engineer units of 40-50 engineers.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 19
RE: First day of game - 1/4/2009 11:27:02 AM   
Twotribes

2 points per engineer and max 10 times the number of engineers. I too make 50 engineer units, 100 points a turn, max of 500.

Be aware though, while aboard Naval transport they lose all EP and when they off load have zero.

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 20
RE: First day of game - 1/5/2009 9:32:19 AM   
rasnell

What are your tips and strategies regarding the use of air? Do you create a separate formation blending fighters with bombers? Do you place this formation in a city? Are you able to set the formation outside of a city?

What area of intercept is covered if they are simply left to defense?

If you want to protect an area of artillery or tanks, can you simply move the formation to that area (outside of a city or airfield) and leave them there on defense?

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 21
RE: First day of game - 1/5/2009 9:40:40 AM   
rasnell

Supply question: I have sent units far ahead to scout unexplored and unoccupied territory. They are so far removed from HQ and the nearest city and there are no roads that they are stalled, red, out of supply and no longer able to move.

What is your strategy for solving this:?

1. More trucks at HQ which would push supply farther along to fill requests?
2. Engineers to move roads toward them and connect supply lines?
3. New HQ closer to stranded units? Does this extend the supply lines?
4. Look at supply grid, begin building roads or place HQ at exactly the point where the grid turns to a color other than green?

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 22
RE: First day of game - 1/5/2009 10:47:31 AM   
Westheim

quote:

If you want to protect an area of artillery or tanks, can you simply move the formation to that area (outside of a city or airfield) and leave them there on defense?

I'm not good at air strategy at all, but if I get that one right, the answer would simply be: you can't move air units outside a city or airfield (or carrier).

quote:

2. Engineers to move roads toward them and connect supply lines?

That's why in random games I always create two or three motorized engineer units first for doing that exploration thing. The point is: they build roads while they explore and that way always are in supply. 60 engineers with 3 trucks can build six hexes of road each turn (if I'm correct).

Don't be scared - I'm almost sure that I just want to play!

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 23
RE: First day of game - 1/5/2009 10:59:10 AM   
rasnell

That's why in random games I always create two or three motorized engineer units first for doing that exploration thing. The point is: they build roads while they explore and that way always are in supply. 60 engineers with 3 trucks can build six hexes of road each turn (if I'm correct).

Hmm. That gives me an idea. Could I put engineers with armored cars and press forward that way while building roads? Obviously slower way to move, but gets me where I'm going with some protection.

(in reply to Westheim)
Post #: 24
RE: First day of game - 1/5/2009 2:29:07 PM   
Joshuatree

Well you could do that, but armored cars are great for fast sweeping pincer movements (remember, attacking from multiple sides, opposite sides gives you extra attack bonus). If you put them ( waste them IMHO) in an engineer unit they too lose all action points when the engineers build a road. So I think most if us build engineer only units and protect them... most of the time :-)

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 25
RE: First day of game - 1/5/2009 2:31:18 PM   
Westheim

So the 1 PP for the extra unit of armoured cars is well invested instead of putting them with the engineers.

Don't be scared - I'm almost sure that I just want to play!

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 26
RE: First day of game - 1/17/2009 3:51:55 PM   
rasnell

I love this game. Started with all land battles and I'm now trying my first blend with navy. Need help again. I really don't understand seacap.

I believe I create cargo ships to build seacap. But why doesn't it show up to allow me transfers? Do the cargo ships have to have a HQ on board? Do the ships have to be in the sending and receiving ports?

Manual is utterly lacking on this one.

(in reply to Westheim)
Post #: 27
RE: First day of game - 1/17/2009 4:06:38 PM   
Grymme

Strategic transfer is always done from a HQ. So you need to have your cargoship in a HQ. This HQ has to be in a port/city. The hex where you want to transfer the unit to/unit which you want to reinforce also have to be a HQ (i think). Then when you choose transfer/strategic transfer you will get the option to use landcap or seecap (down to the right in the screen). Then you need to have enough seecap. Each cargoship gives 2 000 points (i think).

Wrote this of the top of my head. But try to do it during theese conditions and see if it works.

(in reply to rasnell)
Post #: 28
RE: First day of game - 1/17/2009 4:59:27 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Think cargoships=trucks for seacap and landcap. Not literally of course, but in practice that's how it works. Leave them in your HQ's, the more you have the more seacap you will have for resupply, reenforcement and strat moves.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 29
RE: First day of game - 1/18/2009 9:45:38 PM   
rasnell

I wish Grymme and Jeffrey H. had written the manual. Very clear. Just one more detail. Do you have to keep the sea lane open from the continent where you are transferring units and the HQ in port where the cargo ships are?

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> First day of game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI