Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/1/2009 2:56:22 PM   
Grotius

Ah, I had no idea the sync bug was related to having other programs running simultaneously. Good to know. I play a mix of PBEM and AI, so it's good to be warned. So nygiants, do you run WITP at full screen and exit the program to look at Tracker?

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 811
RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/1/2009 3:09:11 PM   
Ambassador

Great, a new update !  What a wonderful way to start the new year !

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 812
RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/1/2009 4:16:53 PM   
ny59giants

quote:

Ah, I had no idea the sync bug was related to having other programs running simultaneously. Good to know. I play a mix of PBEM and AI, so it's good to be warned. So nygiants, do you run WITP at full screen and exit the program to look at Tracker?

I mainly have played the Allies in all my PBEM games. I always ask for the Combat Report, Ops, and Allied SigInt to be sent with the Combat Replay (file 001) along with the game file by the Japanese player. I use Bodhi's Utility to keep track of intel and movement patterns, so I copy and paste them into the SAVE folder (keep a shortcut on my Desktop). I run this Utility first. I do a quick look over. This Utility automatically keeps a folder in the SAVE for all past reports. I close all programs and then run the Combat Replay. Occasionally, you receive Combat Replay and there is the sync bug, but Bodhi's will give me most of the info. I load the game file as soon as the Combat Replay is over. I can then do the "Alt+Tab" to allow me to start Tracker. I can bounce back and forth afterwards. If there is a sync problem, I let my Japanese opponent know that they may be doing their Replay with other programs running. I run both programs with full screen. Some players put WITP into Windows, but the "Alt+Tab" works fine for me to switch back and forth.

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 813
RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/1/2009 4:26:17 PM   
Nomad

I use a utility I found that allows me to make hot keys for various screen resolutions. I use 1152x864 to run WitP in on my 24" widescreen. That gives me room at the bottom for a tool bar so I can easily switch between various programs. I have not heard that my opponent has a replay problem, but I do send all of the reports with the turn. I usually have at least 4 other programs other than WitP running during turn processing.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 814
RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/1/2009 5:02:35 PM   
Knaust

Please take note that in the Ship Production table the column DOA is NOT sorted by date

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 815
RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/2/2009 1:43:38 PM   
Chris21wen

Thanks for the work guys, invaluable as Japan.

Your upgrade the air production upgrade screen to reflect damaged aircraft is good but you missed adjusting the the total needed.  Arn't we picky

(in reply to Knaust)
Post #: 816
RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/3/2009 10:26:50 AM   
n01487477

Sorry Chris I thought that I fixed that, but bugs still remain (sigh) And this screen is a bugbear of mine because of the mysteries of the different mods and how they have implemented so many upgrade-downgrade paths...

Todays efforts (complex sorting takes some understanding) and next tonight I will fix the upgrade stuff...
**Remember you can sort on delay ...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 1/3/2009 10:31:59 AM >

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 817
RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/3/2009 11:39:56 AM   
Chris21wen

That's Ok, it'll get done eventually. However I've got another problem that has appeared since the upgrade. I've posted a jpg here but there's more than I can't fit on the screen. Note also that since the upgrade I've had to increase the heap size. Can I send the error mesages to a text file?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 818
RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/3/2009 11:57:20 AM   
n01487477

Chris,
I could be wrong but I believe this to be reading in a turn while in a non-static screen. Try reading your turns when you are in the airplane(not production)/shipclass/air comparison windows. I know it is a little troublesome, but this is how is works.

I am interested that people are having to increase the heap size, I haven't had to yet and I am using it a lot to test. Maybe Floyd and I will have to look into memory management more closely if it becomes a larger problem.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 819
RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/3/2009 10:45:52 PM   
JeffroK

Great work Guys,

Picking Nits.

A game versus the AI.
As the Allies, In the Aircraft production tab I can see japanese aircraft & engines and theit pools..    Is this as designed?

In the Victory points tab, the chart for VP is great, can we get similar for aircraft & ships?

The compare button in the ship upgrades tab is fan bloody tastic..... Now I can see if its worth updating as I might loose the 8" guns off the Lex & Sara, or loose some cargo carrying ability or a few knots of speed.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 820
RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/3/2009 11:41:17 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK
Great work Guys,

Picking Nits.

A game versus the AI.
As the Allies, In the Aircraft production tab I can see japanese aircraft & engines and theit pools..    Is this as designed?

• Definitely not designed like that EVEN for AI games ... Is it all the aircraft ? Can you see Allied planes too ? This was blocked at source, so I can't see how it happened unless you changed the parameters(sides) in the witptracker.properties file and then loaded a turn.

Jeff, can you please confirm what your properties file says and whether you upgraded tracker or was it a fresh install.

quote:

In the Victory points tab, the chart for VP is great, can we get similar for aircraft & ships?

The compare button in the ship upgrades tab is fan bloody tastic..... Now I can see if its worth updating as I might loose the 8" guns off the Lex & Sara, or loose some cargo carrying ability or a few knots of speed.

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 1/3/2009 11:52:25 PM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
  • Post #: 821
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/4/2009 12:01:21 AM   
    n01487477

Well Jeff,
    I have just confirmed my hypothesis. IF and ONLY IF you are playing the AI you can change the parameters in the Witptracker.properties file to switch side and see the AI's planes. IT probably will not load the full turn and tracker will halt.

So Jeff I believe that you have upgraded, changed the parameters to the Japanese and loaded a turn. This is impossible Vs PBEM partners as the program checks for the correct password.

Damian

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 822
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/4/2009 2:19:05 AM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Chris,
    I could be wrong but I believe this to be reading in a turn while in a non-static screen. Try reading your turns when you are in the airplane(not production)/shipclass/air comparison windows. I know it is a little troublesome, but this is how is works.

I am interested that people are having to increase the heap size, I haven't had to yet and I am using it a lot to test. Maybe Floyd and I will have to look into memory management more closely if it becomes a larger problem.

That type of error comes when you're showing a table that depends on data that changes from turn-to-turn ("non-static") while a new turn is being loaded. In this case, you were looking at the LCU panel and probably switched context to another application and then back to the WitPTracker. These types of errors can be ignored.

I have seen cases where I ran out of heap space, but that was because of some development-in-progress which was fixed. Since I fixed that code, I never saw problems again. I run Vista with 3GB RAM and usually have WitPTracker running with WitP, Eclipse, IE and several other programs running at the same time. If it can be reliably reproduced, we may have a shot at fixing it, but debugging memory problems with Java is not simple...

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 823
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/4/2009 2:21:42 AM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

Great work Guys,

[...]

Glad you like it.

I'll work on more graphs later - put these in at the last minute to "compete" with the new charts Damian added.

The Upgrade Comparison was my interpretation of a suggestion from Nemo, I think. I hope it helps.

(in reply to JeffroK)
    Post #: 824
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/4/2009 5:19:52 AM   
    JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: n01487477

Well Jeff,
    I have just confirmed my hypothesis. IF and ONLY IF you are playing the AI you can change the parameters in the Witptracker.properties file to switch side and see the AI's planes. IT probably will not load the full turn and tracker will halt.

So Jeff I believe that you have upgraded, changed the parameters to the Japanese and loaded a turn. This is impossible Vs PBEM partners as the program checks for the correct password.

Damian

?

From memory, when I set up properties I made it a japanese view. When it didnt run I checked the DOS file and it told me, so I changed it back to Allies.

But since then I have loaded about 6 turns (I only do it once per fortnight) and it has continued to show japanese aircraft.

I'll be more careful for V1.7 and it doesnt affect the game for me.

Wots a heap??

< Message edited by JeffK -- 1/4/2009 5:21:18 AM >

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 825
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/4/2009 8:24:17 AM   
    n01487477

Jeff,
    I think you will have to delete your DB files and start again ... delete all the trackerdb.* files (as shown in the pic and restart Tracker). This will clear up your problem, but you will lose your saved data unless you still have the savefiles to reload ...

Java Heap (the long) :
    quote:

Garbage collection is the VM process of de-allocating unused Java objects in the Java heap.The Java heap is where the objects of a Java program live. It is a repository for live objects, dead objects, and free memory. When an object can no longer be reached from any pointer in the running program, the object is garbage.

The JVM heap size determines how often and how long the VM spends collecting garbage. An acceptable rate for garbage collection is application-specific and should be adjusted after analyzing the actual time and frequency of garbage collections.

If you set a large heap size, full garbage collection is slower, but it occurs less frequently. If you set your heap size in accordance with your memory needs, full garbage collection is faster, but occurs more frequently.

The goal of tuning your heap size is to minimize the time that you spend doing garbage collection while maximizing the number of clients that you can handle at a given time.

To ensure maximum performance during benchmarking, you might set high heap size values to ensure that garbage collection does not occur during the entire run of the benchmark.

(the short): Just the memory allocation allowed for the program. Don't worry about it unless you have a problem

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 1/4/2009 8:35:43 AM >

(in reply to JeffroK)
    Post #: 826
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/5/2009 9:01:47 AM   
    Chris21wen

I'm continually getting error similar to this. The errors do not occur during the loading process now turn update but when I switch between witp and tracker. I have increased the max heap size to 256 as can be seen from the jpg. Any ideas?
    Oh and I've deteted the old db files and reinitiated the java database.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to n01487477)
    Post #: 827
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/5/2009 11:35:16 AM   
    Local Yokel

Chris,

I'm no expert on Java, but I understand the "-xmx" syntax you are using sets the maximum amount of memory that your program can employ, whereas the "-xms" syntax is used to fix the program's initial allocation of memory. Also, I don't know what the effect is of using the "<" and ">" to wrap the figure you supply as the memory amount parameter; I don't use these symbols myself.

A couple of points that may be worth considering.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
    Post #: 828
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/5/2009 12:16:37 PM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

I'm continually getting error similar to this. The errors do not occur during the loading process now turn update but when I switch between witp and tracker. I have increased the max heap size to 256 as can be seen from the jpg. Any ideas?
    Oh and I've deteted the old db files and reinitiated the java database.

Yes, these are real memory issues. And I agree with Yokel -- ditch the "<" and ">" and try setting the initial heap size (Xms) to 128m (default is 32m). Let us know if that works.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
    Post #: 829
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/5/2009 2:51:56 PM   
    Ambassador

Hi guys,

The charts are really cool.

One question, still.  I've just installed CHS, does Tracker work with it okay ?  I believe it's an information that probably lies somewhere in the 28 pages of the thread, but one of my resolutions for the new year is to lose a lot less time on forums...  So, thanks for the future answer.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 830
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/5/2009 10:04:53 PM   
    Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ambassador

Hi guys,

The charts are really cool.

One question, still.  I've just installed CHS, does Tracker work with it okay ?  I believe it's an information that probably lies somewhere in the 28 pages of the thread, but one of my resolutions for the new year is to lose a lot less time on forums...  So, thanks for the future answer.

Works fine but the only thing you will need to import and possibly change the correct base-region definition file. These are stored in the region-mappings folder and can be imported by going to 'File/Import base-region definition.

(in reply to Ambassador)
    Post #: 831
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/5/2009 10:12:58 PM   
    Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: floydg

Yes, these are real memory issues. And I agree with Yokel -- ditch the "<" and ">" and try setting the initial heap size (Xms) to 128m (default is 32m). Let us know if that works.

Thanks guys. There are not <> but (), I think changing the jpg resolution for the forum caused that. And yes, I should have removed them and I now have a very sore head and a hole in the wall.

I think the problem is the brackets not xmx but I'll experiment with both as I'm unsure why the minimum value set by xms should be important.

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 832
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/5/2009 10:49:41 PM   
    Ambassador

Thank you, Chris.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
    Post #: 833
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/6/2009 12:10:23 AM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris H

quote:

Thanks guys. There are not <> but (), I think changing the jpg resolution for the forum caused that. And yes, I should have removed them and I now have a very sore head and a hole in the wall.

I think the problem is the brackets not xmx but I'll experiment with both as I'm unsure why the minimum value set by xms should be important.

Some times it's easier to accept that something works rather than understanding why it works...

But I'm glad you got it to work.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
    Post #: 834
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/6/2009 10:00:54 PM   
    boba

I'd tried to install WitPTracker, but keep getting this message.
    Any idea what's the problem?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 835
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/6/2009 10:21:28 PM   
    n01487477

boba - TRacker for some reason has not loaded the aircraft data from the savefile. I suggest that you delete all the database files (trackerdb.*), recheck your tracker.properties file and then try again.

(in reply to boba)
    Post #: 836
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/6/2009 10:23:27 PM   
    floydg

quote:

ORIGINAL: boba

I'd tried to install WitPTracker, but keep getting this message.
    Any idea what's the problem?

EDIT: Damian beat me to it...

It seems like it didn't initialize the database. Do you have files named "trackerdb.data" and three others that start with "trackerdb"? If so, delete all of them and start again. You should see a message "Initializing WitP Tracker database.".

Floyd

(in reply to boba)
    Post #: 837
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/6/2009 11:00:39 PM   
    boba

quote:

EDIT: Damian beat me to it...

It seems like it didn't initialize the database. Do you have files named "trackerdb.data" and three others that start with "trackerdb"? If so, delete all of them and start again. You should see a message "Initializing WitP Tracker database.".

Floyd

It worked! Thanks guys!

(in reply to floydg)
    Post #: 838
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/7/2009 3:43:18 AM   
    Grotius

I'm new to Tracker, and I want to thank you guys for writing this tremendous program. The most important thing about it is that it makes the game more fun -- I just get a kick out of tracking how my pilots improve, or how fast ships repair, or how my Heavy Industry or Armaments stockpiles are developing. But it also helps me play better. If Tracker weren't warning me about oil and resource shortages at various bases, I'd have no clue. Thanks to Tracker, I now have a clear understanding of what I get when I upgrade ships, and what ships to move when. It's almost February 1 in my game as Japan against the AI, and by golly I have every DD in place (or sailing to a repair facility) for the February 1 upgrade.

I do have one minor question. Is there a way to view the stats/history of minor ships, like PC, PG, MSW, etc.? I ask because those ships have actually seen most of the action in my game -- they do constant ASW battle every turn, and I'm curious whether their XP has improved. The Ships screen lets us look at SS, APD, DD, DE, but I don't see MSW, PC, PG, and other small ships. Not a big deal, obviously.

Also, I second the motion for more graphs -- they're great! I'd especially like a graph showing changing levels of oil and resources, especially oil. I can see it go down about 9000 every turn, and Tracker tells me how many days I have left, but a visual reminder would be nice. :)

Finally, I'm still not entirely sure how to play around with the "calc" feature for merchant/naval yards. I'll probably figure it out.

Anyway, thanks for all your hard work on this terrific program.

(in reply to boba)
    Post #: 839
    RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 - 1/7/2009 9:51:02 AM   
    Ambassador

Hi Damian & Floyd,

It's a long time since the last idea I got, but here is a new one : an alert for the complete repair of a ship.  That is, whenever a ship goes down from any damage to a sys/flt/fir 0/0/0, a warning would tell it in the Alert panel.  Maybe only if said ship is in a port which has a repair yard.

This would allow the user to put a ship in a port for repair, and not having to worry about it each turn.

Otherwise, keep up the good work.

(in reply to Grotius)
    Post #: 840
    Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Happy New Year -- WitPTracker now at 1.5 Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI