Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How do you say "WTF" in Japanese?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: How do you say "WTF" in Japanese? Page: <<   < prev  94 95 [96] 97 98   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How do you say "WTF" in Japanese? - 1/4/2009 10:06:56 PM   
CaptDave

Unless this computer acted up on me (borrowed, since mine is on the fritz, and it sometimes likes to not respond to a page-down until I've done it several times, then it does them all at once), no one else has yet answered this one. So...

Zoom, zoom, zoom!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

OK...a quiz.....I just noticed something..... except for Ito, what do all the named low level Japanese characters in this thread seem to have in common?

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 2851
RE: HMS Trusty - 1/4/2009 11:07:10 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Recon over Singapore show a half dozen likely ASW groups in port.

So maybe he is getting ready for a foray...

Yes...the build up of Jap shipping at Saigon and Singapore is suspicious. Also, no Jap carriers have intervened at Efate of Espiritu Santo. That is why I....err....Lord Mountbottom ordered (at Lord Admiral Tabpub's suggestion) the Burmese Python wargame. Search activity at Tavoy and Moulmein has been beefed up.

As of yet, there are no carriers at Singapore or Saigon. In fact, we haven't seen even a ghostly visage of a Jap carrier for it seems months.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/4/2009 11:13:23 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2852
RE: How do you say "WTF" in Japanese? - 1/4/2009 11:09:16 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

Unless this computer acted up on me (borrowed, since mine is on the fritz, and it sometimes likes to not respond to a page-down until I've done it several times, then it does them all at once), no one else has yet answered this one. So...

Zoom, zoom, zoom!

quote:

OK...a quiz.....I just noticed something..... except for Ito, what do all the named low level Japanese characters in this thread seem to have in common?

Ah...yes...that is perilously close to the answer.....in fact, that is so good I am going to flip over the cards.

Johnny! Please tell Mr. or Ms. Cpt Dave what he or she has won.......Johnny? Mr. Donovan? ....Is this on?

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/4/2009 11:12:31 PM >

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 2853
Burma and Siam - 1/4/2009 11:25:17 PM   
Cap Mandrake

**********SITREP, Burma and Siam, April 10, 1943**********

Bangkok/Singapore railway: 12th Army laid on a big attack on the 9th. No less than SEVEN Indian Infantry divisions, Bengal Engineer Regt. and one each of British and Australian Brigdes (251 and 27). They fell a few points shy of 1:1 but did inflict rougly equal casualties to those taken. A field artillery regt has just arrived and two more fresh brigades are 1-3 days away. 12th Army will have to rest again. In the Interim, medium bombers from Tavoy are softening up the Japs.

Krung Thep: No attack near here today. The big attack means it would take weeks for Burma Area Army to cross the river to the SE into friendly territory. They will need many days to reorganize after the big assault. USAAF heavies from Moulemin are visiting daily. Allied supply now good in Krung Thep.

Burma Road: Quiet today. There are now over 110,000 Japs at Lashio. 2nd British Inf. is on its way to prevent a Jap breakout toward Mandalay.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/4/2009 11:26:05 PM >

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 2854
Wait, is aluminum magnetic? - 1/5/2009 8:40:40 PM   
Cap Mandrake

******Aboard USS Allen, Amchitka Is., April 10, 1943*******

Sweeping for mines in Amchitka Harbor in wartime, and within range of Jap bombers, no less, was a far cry from another conference on "New Concepts in Active Deguassing, 1943(b)", which the good professor was scheduled to attend, but this was FAR more exciting and he would have not been anywhere else. This was HIS baby. The idea had struck him like a religious epiphany. He had heard from a friend that, because of a house rule on restrictions on upgrading to 4 engine bombers, the USAAF had hundreds of unused B-24's. What if floats were added..and a rudder? With their aluminum frame, they could be used as manned, steerable, demining sleds! Months of meetings and training followed, culminating in their first operational use..and he was there!

He held the binoculars up to his eyes and was pleased to see how well the two B-24's fared in rough seas, one to port and one to starboard 600 yds astern. Waves splashed over the wings and into the engine cowlings, draining back down in white foam. Beautiful! ......."ENGINE COWLINGS! OH DEAR GOD!" Huge, nearly simultaneous fountains ov water erupt astern of the ship.

TF 1078 encounters mine field at Amchitka Island (96,36)

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
B-24D Liberator: 2 destroyed

Allied Ships
DD Allen

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/5/2009 8:41:51 PM >

Post #: 2855
RE: Wait, is aluminum magnetic? - 1/5/2009 8:45:23 PM   
rtrapasso

Post #: 2856
RE: Wait, is aluminum magnetic? - 1/6/2009 5:16:15 AM   
bradfordkay

I think that the good professor needs a good long rest... possibly on a deserted island with no modern amenities. 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2857
Lemon juice - 1/6/2009 5:48:03 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

I think that the good professor needs a good long rest... possibly on a deserted island with no modern amenities.

That is a good idea. I think he may want to make himself scarce around the Pentagon for a bit. He once wrote a paper titled, "How I Created a Battery Using Cocconut Halves and Lemon Juice". He could put that to use.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 2858
Emperor Kool Aide - 1/6/2009 6:33:21 PM   
Cap Mandrake

******SITREP, Burma, Siam, April 12, 1943*******

Krung Thep: 90,000 Kool Aide crazed Japs shock attacked north of Krung Thep. They bumped up against 40,000 Indians (and 200 British officers ). Casualties were 3:1 in favor of the Indians, but the Burma Area Army achieved a 1.5:1 ratio in combat power, so they retain a potent sting. One brigade of 20th Indian is ordered down the rail from Rahaeng and every bomber at Tavoy, Moulemein and Rangoon is ordered to bombard the BAA. The Burma Area Army is a big prize. Any future Allied in SE Asia will be much easier if these troops are destroyed.

Burma Road: Attrition battle continues SE of Myitkyina.

Bangkok/Singapore Railway: 12th Army buidlup continues for another push in 2-3 days.

Post #: 2859
Global Cooling Confirmed! - 1/7/2009 8:06:04 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 2860
RE: Global Cooling Confirmed! - 1/7/2009 10:30:28 PM   
witpqs

Here is a shot of a newspaper illustration in Belgium today:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2861
RE: Global Cooling Confirmed! - 1/8/2009 12:57:42 PM   
Yakface

Very selective data in that article.  For example - rainy britain has suffered from uncharacteristic dry spells the past few springs.  What it doesn't say is the rest of the year it has done nothing but rain making it, 2008 one of the top 5 wettest years on record.  Global warming doesn't just mean things get warmer and drier.  One of the features is more erratic weather patterns.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2862
RE: Global Cooling Confirmed! - 1/8/2009 1:19:20 PM   
Chijohnaok2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yakface

Global warming doesn't just mean things get warmer and drier.  One of the features is more erratic weather patterns.

The entire matter can become very confusing. A week or two ago I saw an article where someone claimed that the recent decline in temperatures (this past decade) was proof positive that the rate of global warming was accelerating.

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 2863
RE: Global Cooling Confirmed! - 1/8/2009 2:25:22 PM   
witpqs

Weather has always varied greatly and climate has always been changing.

But they tell us that any change in weather or climate is proof that global warming is real and we're all gonna die unless we do what they tell us to do... Yes, Master!

I say that Global Cooling caused WWII(b)! And I have here in my hand the names of more than 200 card-carrying climatologists in the Department of Defense!

(in reply to Chijohnaok2)
Post #: 2864
RE: Global Cooling Confirmed! - 1/8/2009 7:03:08 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yakface

Very selective data in that article. ...

Look at the date and author of the article. It's June 24, 1974(b) I'm guessing there is some left over inventory of winterized Quonset huts to "move".

(in reply to Yakface)
Post #: 2865
RE: Global Cooling Confirmed! - 1/8/2009 7:05:59 PM   
Cap Mandrake

OT..if anyone here gave my email address to AARP you are in SERIOUS trouble. I'm not kidding, either.

Post #: 2866
Longboat Search Committee - 1/8/2009 7:17:00 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Attention anyone willing to serve on the Viking longboat search committee. It might be a good time to dust off your copy of Roberts Rules of Order

I am fairly certain it is going to be needed by mid to late Summer. I am partial to red oak. Oh, maybe a dragon on the front, too. No canvas needed and seaworthiness not that important.

Post #: 2867
VIP Ride Along - 1/8/2009 7:59:36 PM   
Cap Mandrake

April 12, 1943(b)....the US Navy policy of wartime VIP ride alongs comes to a permanent end.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 2868
RE: VIP Ride Along - 1/8/2009 9:38:59 PM   
Cap Mandrake

************Bridge of Liberty Ship, USS Daniel S Lamont, Amchitka Harbor, 07;45, April 12, 1943**********

Ship's Captain: Did you ever think you would have a US Navy vessel named after you, sir?

Aged Fellow in Tweed Suit: No, Captain, I did not. The United States Navy was a small operation when I was Sec. of War.

Ship's Captain: Was that in the McKinley administration, then, Mr. Secretary?

Aged Fellow in Tweed Suit: McKinley? Oh, good heavens no! Grover Cleveland. Did you vote for Mr. Clevleand, Captain?

Ship's Captain: I'm afraid not sir. I wasn't of age.

Aged Fellow in Tweed Suit: Ah, yes. I forget myself. Mr. Cleveland was quite the host. We had Summer houses near each other on Cape Cod. <grows pensive> He was quite the ladies man, you know?

Ship's Captain: Grover Cleveland a babe magnet?! You don't say?

Aged Fellow in Tweed Suit: Oh yes, I remember once when two sets of identical twins....<The conversation is interrupted by the shouts of a lookout> "ENEMY AIRCRAFT BEARING 270!"

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/8/2009 11:04:06 PM >

Post #: 2869
Smackdown - 1/8/2009 11:04:31 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Day Air attack on TF, near Amchitka Island

Japanese aircraft
J2M Jack x 31
B5N Kate x 6
G4M1 Betty x 14
Ki-61 KAIc Tony x 16
Ki-21 Sally x 19

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 54

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M Jack: 5 destroyed
B5N Kate: 1 destroyed, 2 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 3 destroyed, 4 damaged
Ki-61 KAIc Tony: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged
Ki-21 Sally: 5 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 34 destroyed

Allied Ships
DD Craven, Bomb hits 1, on fire
AK Daniel S. Lamont, Torpedo hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
AK Francis P. Blair, Bomb hits 1
AK George S. Boutwell, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
DD Allen
AK Frederick J. Turner, Bomb hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
266 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

The P-40's belonged to a reformed AVG, the original group having been merged into the now famous 24th FG. 54 P-40E's vs 49 Jacks and Tonys. It was ugly. Admiral "Tabpub" Theobald was not happy. So he got even.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/8/2009 11:22:42 PM >

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 2870
Pentagon - 1/8/2009 11:17:42 PM   
Cap Mandrake

************Pentagon, D-Ring, Office of Adm. King, 18;40, April 12, 1943************

Captain X: Sir, excuse me, but we just recieved word about the loss of USS Daniel S Lamont.

Adm. King: Daniel S. Lamont? That doesn't ring a bell. LSI?

Captain X: No sir, Liberty Ship, in the Aleutians.

Adm. King: Captain, you interrupted my call for a Liberty Ship? We EXPECT to lose some. That's why we ordered so many. It's a war, Captain.

Captain X: Yes sir, it's just that there was a VIP ride-along aboard...and he's missing.

Adm. King: Oh dear. Who was he?

Captain X: Daniel S. Lamont, former Sec. of War.

Adm. King: Hmmm...early Hoover?

Captain X: No, sir Grover Cleveland.

Adm. King: WHAT IN THE NAME...! Who authorized that? he must be 100.

Captain X: Late 80's sir.

Adm. King: OK, that's it! The ride along program is cancelled. I don't care if it the President's dog. Is that clear?

Post #: 2871
RE: Pentagon - 1/8/2009 11:43:45 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

************Pentagon, D-Ring, Office of Adm. King, 18;40, April 12, 1943************

Captain X: Sir, excuse me, but we just recieved word about the loss of USS Daniel S Lamont.

Adm. King: Daniel S. Lamont? That doesn't ring a bell. LSI?

Captain X: No sir, Liberty Ship, in the Aleutians.

Adm. King: Captain, you interrupted my call for a Liberty Ship? We EXPECT to lose some. That's why we ordered so many. It's a war, Captain.

Captain X: Yes sir, it's just that there was a VIP ride-along aboard...and he's missing.

Adm. King: Oh dear. Who was he?

Captain X: Daniel S. Lamont, former Sec. of War.

Adm. King: Hmmm...early Hoover?

Captain X: No, sir Grover Cleveland.

Adm. King: WHAT IN THE NAME...! Who authorized that? he must be 100.

Captain X: Late 80's sir.

Adm. King: OK, that's it! The ride along program is cancelled. I don't care if it the President's dog. Is that clear?

Dang - now we'll never get to hear about the twins!

Post #: 2872
RE: Longboat Search Committee - 1/9/2009 1:56:38 AM   
Moondawggie

Yow, Cap!

It sounds as though your relationship with Stalker Girl is getting formalized!

Congrats!

How many fire arrows you gonna want shot into the sails?

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 2873
RE: Longboat Search Committee - 1/9/2009 4:58:19 AM   
witpqs

It sounds like a deprogramming team and some electro-shock therapy are in order.

Do ya think she'll mind when we burn a scale model longboat at the nuptials? For good luck, I mean!

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 2874
RE: Longboat Search Committee - 1/9/2009 4:44:27 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

Yow, Cap!

It sounds as though your relationship with Stalker Girl is getting formalized!

Congrats!

How many fire arrows you gonna want shot into the sails?

Well, she gave me a cool budoir photo collage for Christmas. I thought it was the least I could do. I'll see if I can find the picture with the rose petals.

BTW..the fire arrow idea is cool.

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 2875
RE: Longboat Search Committee - 1/9/2009 4:47:32 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

It sounds like a deprogramming team and some electro-shock therapy are in order.

Do ya think she'll mind when we burn a scale model longboat at the nuptials? For good luck, I mean!

Wait till me family finds out. They will have ECT paddles out in no time.

Perhaps an ice carving of a longboat? Good idea.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 2876
RE: Pentagon - 1/9/2009 4:48:31 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

Dang - now we'll never get to hear about the twins!

War is Hell.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 2877
Kai - 1/9/2009 5:07:47 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******Kai Island Airfield, April 15, 1943*******

<a group of men cluster around the North side of the runway near a number of Kai Island Greater Snatch nests>

Col. Irvine: Colonel, this is Mr. Skipper, from the SPCA.

Col. Corleone: Mr. Skipper, I am here at the request of Gen. Short. These are my lieutenants <motions to a group of junior officer with oddly thickend brows and broad shoulders>. Gen. Short has directed me to insure the full operation of Kai Airfield. Operation Inchorm II is dependent on this goal. Do I have your cooperation on this matter?

Skipper: Col., I have a court order from the 12th District, in San Francisco.

Col. Corleone: We know people on the 12th District.

Skipper: Fine, when you have a new court order come back and talk to me. Until then, the order stands.

Col. Corleone: But Mr. Skipper, a plane cant take off safely on one engine. I appeal for you to reconsider.

Skipper: You are right. I have reconsidered. I am hereby shortening the allowed flight operation window to 1 hr.

Col. Corleone: Mr. Skipper, it would be prudent of you to change your position.

Skipper: Col., you tell Gen. Short that no khaki boy scout tells the SPCA what to do. This beautiful snatch <motions toward a bird> will survive the ugliness that you and your ilk have brought into the world...........

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/9/2009 5:18:10 PM >

Post #: 2878
Payback at Kiska - 1/9/2009 5:16:44 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******Adak Airfield, 07:00, April 13, 1943********

32 USAAF and RCAF B-24's warm their engines then begin to taxi into takeoff positions. Nearby, jeeps deliver the men of 6th Fighter Squadron to their waiting P-38's which are parked on steel mats. The weather is good by Aleutian standards.

120 miles to the West, a squadron each of Marine TBF's and brand new Marine Corsairs (some are even without paint save a roundel on the shiney aluminum wings) and half a dozen RCAF Kittyhawks go through a similar prep.

The target is Kiska.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 1/9/2009 5:21:52 PM >

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 2879
RE: Longboat Search Committee - 1/9/2009 6:10:07 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Perhaps an ice carving of a longboat? Good idea.

Oooooo, how about we rig the ice sculpture with a tube from underneath attached to a hole drilled through. At the signal a few ounces of hi-octane pumps up and out the top of the mast and ignites...

Post #: 2880
Page:   <<   < prev  94 95 [96] 97 98   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: How do you say "WTF" in Japanese? Page: <<   < prev  94 95 [96] 97 98   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI