Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Worst Actors Ever

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Worst Actors Ever Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 6:23:30 PM   
Brigz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri Rebel

Don't know his name, but the guy who stared in Twister and Titanic is the absolute worst. The dumb look on his face only makes the moment more horrible. Anyone mention 'The Duke'?

mo reb

What?!! Bill Paxton is an excellent actor. Had the best part in "Aliens" and played it great. "Sharp sticks", "Game over!!", "Why don't you put her in charge?"
He was also great in "A Simple Plan" and "Apollo 13" just to name a few. Remember the punk ass-hole he played in "The Terminator"? That was great.

“You're only young once but you can be immature for as long as you want”

(in reply to Missouri Rebel)
Post #: 31
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 6:33:56 PM   
Grell

I think Brad Pitt is the worst actor out there.

Regards,

Grell

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 32
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 6:52:53 PM   
Goblin

Kevin Costner
Ben Afflek

(in reply to Charles2222)
Post #: 33
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 7:14:35 PM   
Missouri Rebel

Now I did it. I awoke the sleeping giant of the Bill Paxton Fan Club. 

mo reb

We must act... against the Sioux, even to the extermination of men, WOMEN and CHILDREN.The more Indians we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed next year. They all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers.- w.t. SHErMAN

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 34
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 9:02:27 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

Anyone mention 'The Duke'?

Now, now, let's not start on the Duke. As a long-time student of movies, I am particularly fond of John Wayne and the story behind his rise to fame - and the sometimes funny, sometimes sad, but always fascinating things that followed. He was slated to be the big-time singing Western star after Tom Mix's untimely demise in that Arizona wash. He was tall, handsome, and had a certain screen presence that just oozed stardom. Problem was, he couldn't sing a lick. The studio tried an early version of the lip synch thing, but it just wasn't working.

So, Gene Autry stepped in, and the rest is history. John Wayne was found to have enough pizazz to do some silly, superficial Western actioners, but it looked like he wasn't going to get very far in the movie biz.

He took it to heart. He was under no illusions about the extent of his talent. He studied himself and the renderings of that self on film. He sought advice from people in the business who he respected. He learned.

What he did next is almost unique in the history of actors and acting. He created the John Wayne persona, all the way down to facial expressions, mannerisms, and even that curious walk of his (he would have himself filmed while walking, then study the rushes and refine it until it was absolutely unique). He got a few parts, and people started to take notice. He even learned a bit about acting, but throughout his life, he never thought of himself as much of an actor.

What he was, was John Wayne. What you got was neither more nor less than that. I find most of his films tremendously enjoyable to watch, kind of like that guilty pleasure we all get from listening to a particular singer or group because we love 'em, but would hate for anybody to find out about it.

Well. To make a long story short, he got together with some powerful people and iconic directors (John Ford, et al.), and made a boatload of movies. Late in his career, Hollyweird tried to take that iconic image and paste it into some movies that just weren't John Wayne (anybody remember the Duke as a Bullitt-style homicide detective? Do we even want to remember movies like "The Green Berets"?).

One story I really enjoy about the Duke is the one told by a friend of mine, who had something of a career in the publicity end of the entertainment biz. He was part of a luncheon group that included John Wayne some several months before his death from cancer. They went to a swank restaurant, and everyone was provided with glitzy, gaudy, glossy menus that had pictures of all the bar drinks depicted on them.

The Duke looked over the menu, saw one drink that had a lot of orange and yellow to it, tapped his finger on the picture three or four times, smiled up at the waitress, and said, "I'll have somethin' THAT color."

I really like the Duke, bless him.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 35
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 10:11:55 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: pasternakski

quote:

Anyone mention 'The Duke'?

Now, now, let's not start on the Duke. As a long-time student of movies, I am particularly fond of John Wayne and the story behind his rise to fame - and the sometimes funny, sometimes sad, but always fascinating things that followed. He was slated to be the big-time singing Western star after Tom Mix's untimely demise in that Arizona wash. He was tall, handsome, and had a certain screen presence that just oozed stardom. Problem was, he couldn't sing a lick. The studio tried an early version of the lip synch thing, but it just wasn't working.

So, Gene Autry stepped in, and the rest is history. John Wayne was found to have enough pizazz to do some silly, superficial Western actioners, but it looked like he wasn't going to get very far in the movie biz.

He took it to heart. He was under no illusions about the extent of his talent. He studied himself and the renderings of that self on film. He sought advice from people in the business who he respected. He learned.

What he did next is almost unique in the history of actors and acting. He created the John Wayne persona, all the way down to facial expressions, mannerisms, and even that curious walk of his (he would have himself filmed while walking, then study the rushes and refine it until it was absolutely unique). He got a few parts, and people started to take notice. He even learned a bit about acting, but throughout his life, he never thought of himself as much of an actor.

What he was, was John Wayne. What you got was neither more nor less than that. I find most of his films tremendously enjoyable to watch, kind of like that guilty pleasure we all get from listening to a particular singer or group because we love 'em, but would hate for anybody to find out about it.

Well. To make a long story short, he got together with some powerful people and iconic directors (John Ford, et al.), and made a boatload of movies. Late in his career, Hollyweird tried to take that iconic image and paste it into some movies that just weren't John Wayne (anybody remember the Duke as a Bullitt-style homicide detective? Do we even want to remember movies like "The Green Berets"?).

One story I really enjoy about the Duke is the one told by a friend of mine, who had something of a career in the publicity end of the entertainment biz. He was part of a luncheon group that included John Wayne some several months before his death from cancer. They went to a swank restaurant, and everyone was provided with glitzy, gaudy, glossy menus that had pictures of all the bar drinks depicted on them.

The Duke looked over the menu, saw one drink that had a lot of orange and yellow to it, tapped his finger on the picture three or four times, smiled up at the waitress, and said, "I'll have somethin' THAT color."

I really like the Duke, bless him.

Rather reminds me of Andy Griffith, but something of a different turn. Anybody who saw Pray for the Wildcats, knows what I mean. He did, however, spring back into a reasonable acting career with the Matlock series though. I didn't like him there, though the show was irritating mostly, but it was a decent gig.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 36
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 10:15:21 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charles_22

No, I'm totally sorry. apparently I had bad eyesight when I saw 6:00. It was actually at the 8:00 mark.

Don't be sorry, it meant I got to see 2 more 'bonus' minutes of the cinematic tour de force There isn't a word yet to describe Turkish Star Wars, but when there is it is totally that word

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 37
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 10:23:17 PM   
morvwilson

Interesting story about the "Duke" Paster.
But I heard that John Wayne got his walk from an encounter with Zsa Zsa Gabour in an elevator.

http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!

Post #: 38
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 10:26:08 PM   
Canoerebel

Charleton Heston. He was a good guy, but "Omega Man" is one of the worst movies ever made and definately had the worst music.

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 39
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 10:36:19 PM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

No, I'm totally sorry. apparently I had bad eyesight when I saw 6:00. It was actually at the 8:00 mark.

Don't be sorry, it meant I got to see 2 more 'bonus' minutes of the cinematic tour de force There isn't a word yet to describe Turkish Star Wars, but when there is it is totally that word

Oh, but there's so much more bonus if you will just reach for it. What's the matter, don't you want to? I don't think there was even any trampoline jumping on that clip, or the innovative leg weights. Now why didn't Lucas use those things when he stole SW? I guess I have to realize that Luca would had, only the original turkish script didn't have such innovation, and so Lucas was stuck with the much less imaginative big ol' battlestation that blows up when a sissy boy shoots it while using the force, that we have seen a million times. Maybe Lucas thought of Vader anyway? So big deal, a man with a breathing condition and a deep voice and a silly black outfit. Now how many times have we seen that done before? If only Lucas had given him a Snidely Whiplash sort of mustache, the cliche would had been set.

If I'm not mistaken though, I think somewhere through those 10 or so TSW parts, there is the Deathstar attack. Man, Lucas was a larger thief than I thought; poor turks!

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 40
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 10:38:44 PM   
Brigz

quote:

mo reb

You didn't wake anything. I'm not saying he's the greatest actor, he's just not a bad actor. Maybe he reminds you of someone who used to beat you up as a kid or stole your girlfriend in high school. Those bad adolescent memories can really skew your world view.

Post #: 41
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 10:44:50 PM   
Arctic Blast

Kevin Costner, Keanu Reeves, Charlton Heston (though good lord is his hammy acting entertaining!!!).

Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 42
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 10:47:21 PM   
Brigz

quote:

Rather reminds me of Andy Griffith, but something of a different turn. Anybody who saw Pray for the Wildcats, knows what I mean. He did, however, spring back into a reasonable acting career with the Matlock series though. I didn't like him there, though the show was irritating mostly, but it was a decent gig.

Ever see "A Face in the Crowd"? Andy Griffith at his best. "No Time for Sergeants" was good too.

Post #: 43
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 10:55:17 PM   
Missouri Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Briggs

quote:

mo reb

You didn't wake anything. I'm not saying he's the greatest actor, he's just not a bad actor. Maybe he reminds you of someone who used to beat you up as a kid or stole your girlfriend in high school. Those bad adolescent memories can really skew your world view.

Lol

So those are the memories I am suppressing. Actually, it was the same person. He pummeled me prior to stealing the girl. Why couldn't you have waited a couple of years until I met the girl who would become my wife?

Dang you Bill Paxton!

< Message edited by Missouri Rebel -- 1/10/2009 11:01:15 PM >

We must act... against the Sioux, even to the extermination of men, WOMEN and CHILDREN.The more Indians we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed next year. They all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers.- w.t. SHErMAN

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 44
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 11:06:13 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvwilson
But I heard that John Wayne got his walk from an encounter with Zsa Zsa Gabour in an elevator.

That was "the clap" he got then, not "the walk."

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 45
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 11:08:55 PM   
pasternakski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

Charleton Heston. He was a good guy, but "Omega Man" is one of the worst movies ever made and definately had the worst music.

Attachment (1)

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 46
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/10/2009 11:18:20 PM   
Missouri Rebel

This talk of bad acting and Charlton Heston remind me of this.

Waynes World

mo reb

Post #: 47
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/11/2009 12:06:48 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

quote:

Ever see "A Face in the Crowd"? Andy Griffith at his best. "No Time for Sergeants" was good too.

No, but had seen them around. The Sergeants one looks like it would be irritating, but seems to be pre-Anj comedy. Yes, I have seen the Eve Plumb movie (Dawn Portrait of a teenage Runaway) with him in it though . He played a priest if you can believe that. William Shatner is another funny one to follow. his movie career is probably more reason to suggest him as a candidate than Star Trek was, and that's saying something. And then there's his "singing" career. Perhaps, right up there at the top was White Commanche, where he's such a good actor he plays two different people. Sort of like Sellers playing more than one role, and almost as funny, though not deliberately. I have for some time studied the art of Shatner in pain, or Shatner in some form of bombast. Dagger of the Mind really opened up Bill's "powers" to express pain (Star trek episode). He was a gigolo in one movie, and, last buy not least was his inclusion in Pray for the Wildcats. This movie has to be seen to be believed. I mean when you have Andy Griffith trying to shed his good boy image, and does so in spades, and you have William Shatner, and Mr, Brady, you know you have a movie tour de force. Oh, one last thing to add to the PFTW movie, though Bill wasn't that obnoxious as he can be, they all wore some shirts that looked awfully Star Trekish. I actually saw this tripe in it's entireity as the tv movie it was when it was first broadcast. That alone was marked as a day I became somebody . Oh, Angie Dickinson was in it too.

So, you knew I couldn't describe this tasty tidbit and not give you examples. This may rank in the top five for the greatest scenes in cinema history (a bit behind the TSW arms scene). See if Anj sufficiently lost his good boy image or not. See Anj say 'boy' just like back on his old show. See greatnes you have never seen!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz6wYcvu0hc

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 1/11/2009 12:10:13 AM >

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 48
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/11/2009 12:46:56 AM   
fvianello

quote:

1. He's turkish or at least the one film I know of is turkish.
2. The film is commonly called Turkish Star Wars. Look that up on youtube, you will wish you had not.

My god!! it's...it's.... HORRIBLE!! I've just seen it and now I'll have to spend the next 2 years trying to remove it!

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

Post #: 49
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/11/2009 12:52:13 AM   
Brigz

"Pray for the Wildcats" was TV schlock. But you really should see "A Face in the Crowd". You will be surprised. It is really an excellent highly rated movie. TMC shows it a few times a year.

As far as Bill Shatner and Angie Dickenson, this must be what you were talking about:

< Message edited by Dave Briggs -- 1/11/2009 12:53:57 AM >

Post #: 50
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/11/2009 12:55:10 AM   
morvwilson

quote:

quote:

I stand corrected.... Pilgrim!

http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!

Post #: 51
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/11/2009 1:05:06 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

. But you really should see "A Face in the Crowd". You will be surprised. It is really an excellent highly rated movie. TMC shows it a few times a year.

I second this recommendation. This is one movie I wish everyone could see.

Andy did a good job-he could play a role.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 52
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/11/2009 3:00:04 AM   
rayven998

Until last night, I would have added Micky Roarke's name to the list without even a second thought.

I saw The Wrestler last night.

Now, I know that a good director and a good script can make anybody look good, but the man is brilliant in this movie; plain and simple!

I think He's gonna take home one of them little gold dudes this year, you watch.

As far as directors are concerned, Uwe Boll has got to be the worst. The man has, almost singlehandedly ruined the whole video game to movie concept.

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 53
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/11/2009 3:17:07 AM   
Zap

A lot of actors are good in only a certain character portrail. And many more shine in only one memorable movie

(in reply to rayven998)
Post #: 54
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/11/2009 3:36:18 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

Rather reminds me of Andy Griffith

John Wayne is to Andy Griffith as Raquel Welch is to Twiggy.

And I carry on anyhow.

Post #: 55
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/11/2009 3:38:13 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

quote:

quote:

I stand corrected.... Pilgrim!

Always glad to help, dahling...

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to morvwilson)
Post #: 56
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/11/2009 3:41:32 AM   
pasternakski

quote:

Those bad adolescent memories can really skew your world view.

Kinda like the "Emmanuelle" movies. After I watched those, I definitely wanted my world view to get skewed.

And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 57
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/11/2009 4:56:49 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

ORIGINAL: HanBarca

quote:

1. He's turkish or at least the one film I know of is turkish.
2. The film is commonly called Turkish Star Wars. Look that up on youtube, you will wish you had not.

My god!! it's...it's.... HORRIBLE!! I've just seen it and now I'll have to spend the next 2 years trying to remove it!

Oh come on, be a sport and see the WHOLE THING! I described how this can be done later in the thread. I have seen most of it in spots, but I'm afraid of the killer joke effect may hit me should I see it all. I mean, I was laughing so hard at the montage I've seen a great many times, that I was in tears. That sounds like killer joke all over the place to me. Perhaps we have somebody who is less susceptible, that can be our sacrifi... I mean volunteer?

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 1/11/2009 5:20:40 AM >

(in reply to fvianello)
Post #: 58
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/11/2009 5:09:59 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

"Pray for the Wildcats" was TV schlock. But you really should see "A Face in the Crowd". You will be surprised. It is really an excellent highly rated movie. TMC shows it a few times a year.

As far as Bill Shatner and Angie Dickenson, this must be what you were talking about:

Nope Dave, Ang is on there (and Anj too - Andy Griffith). youtube has more PFTW clips I didn't feature, and one of them shows Angie there. Now why would I want to see a good movie in the midst of such great schlock? The clip I presented was the highlight of the movie, the loss of innocence for the great Anj, but if you will play the Angie clip that is there, you will see all those high quality stars. Yes, it occurs to me the clip didn't have Shat, it didn't have Angie, and it didn't have that awesome Mr. Brady. You just don't know what greatness it was, but see there, that clip was so great, you just cannot imagine there was anything more to the movie can you? Why they could had stretched that scene out and America should've been satisfied, but whoever made that movie, knew that while it might make a great Andy movie that way, a tour de force it would not be, so in came Brady, in came Shat, in came Angie, and then that blond-headed dork called Marjoe. I guess they had to bring Marjoe in case America demanded a PFTW 2. So many of those actors were closing on the end of their careers, and since they were such great actors, they would probably hold out for a ton of money anyway, so in comes Marjoe.

About your Big Bad Mama photo, you just know it's got to be a great movie, when it's pretty much just a big shoe photo!

< Message edited by Charles_22 -- 1/11/2009 5:11:56 AM >

(in reply to Brigz)
Post #: 59
RE: Worst Actors Ever - 1/11/2009 5:19:16 AM   
Charles2222

quote:

quote:

Rather reminds me of Andy Griffith

John Wayne is to Andy Griffith as Raquel Welch is to Twiggy.

It was something of a stretch, but I was referring to Wayne's early career taking a nosedive and getting back on his feet. Anj, similarly, hit a nose dive (seeing Pray for the Wildcats should confirm that) and sort of recovered with Matlock. So if Anj and Wayne fought it out, who would win? One had guns, the other did not. Well skip that question. Well at least he got an axe in PFTW, that has to count for something.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Worst Actors Ever Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI