Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

USS Cole

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> USS Cole Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
USS Cole - 10/13/2000 10:26:00 AM   
Randy

Once again the real-world aspects of the games we play has become reality. Let us take a moment to remember the crew members of the USS Cole who gave their lives today in the service of the United States Navy and of America. God bless you and your families. SEMPER FI Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear
Post #: 1
- 10/13/2000 10:39:00 AM   
Wild Bill

How very sad but true. Thanks Randy. My own heart goes out to the bereaved families and to those who survived but suffered horrible wounds. It is a tragedy and a travesty! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 2
- 10/13/2000 11:02:00 AM   
yegor21

What do you think who did it?I think the palistinians did it and whats going to hepend is that avry one is going to blame this on Isriel.Just my oppinion. ------------------ Ruski General Yegor

Ruski General Yegor Yegor21@hotmail.com Im making a web page any help or tips on how to make it like matrix web page.

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 3
- 10/13/2000 11:15:00 AM   
Ismael

in a wargame of decisions luck can favor or appall recreational ambitions but each die roll represents in the real life events fallen brothers, heroes all [This message has been edited by Ismael (edited October 13, 2000).]

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 4
- 10/13/2000 11:19:00 AM   
Tankhead

quote:

Originally posted by Randy: Once again the real-world aspects of the games we play has become reality. Let us take a moment to remember the crew members of the USS Cole who gave their lives today in the service of the United States Navy and of America. God bless you and your families. SEMPER FI Randy
Well said Randy. AMEN Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://tankhead.home.icq.com

Tankhead

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 5
- 10/13/2000 11:27:00 AM   
Tsknrdr

My heart also goes out to those brave sailors on the Cole. I can only hope that this tragic event does not lead to US involvment in this conflict. In response to Yegor, I believe that any blame that is heaped upon Israel is well deserved. Their human rights record is not exactly impeccable, and that gunship assault was a little much, especially given the disparity in body count between the two sides. Anyways, sorry about the rant. I am sorry that those young men and women had to lose their lives, and I am grateful that there are those who are willing to make the ultimate scarifice in defense of our country. I just hope and pray that their sacrifice will not be used for some nefarious political end.

The unexamined life is not worth living.

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 6
- 10/13/2000 1:05:00 PM   
Spellbinder

Salute to the men of the Cole Spellbinder ------------------ "Semper Paratus"

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 7
- 10/13/2000 4:58:00 PM   
Rickenbacker

It sure is a tragedy, it's not like those men went to war expecting to be attacked. Bad way to go, IMO. I hope Clinton will really try to find out who did this, instead of just using it as an excuse to bomb the hell out of whatever country is "officially" the home of terrorism this week. ------------------ Mats 'Rickenbacker' Nylund -------------------------- rickenbacker@innocent.com

Mats 'Rickenbacker' Nylund -------------------------- rickenbacker@innocent.com

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 8
- 10/13/2000 5:21:00 PM   
troopie

"Hear us when we pray to thee For those in peril on the sea" Salute! troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 9
- 10/13/2000 6:41:00 PM   
Nikademus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rickenbacker: [B]It sure is a tragedy, it's not like those men went to war expecting to be attacked. The real tragedy is that they should have. Its unfortunate that we have periodically recieve a painful reminder of the dangers of overseas deployment. CNN of course whipped that point up heavily quoted previous terrorist attacks all the way back the 1898. There seems to be some confusion on the attack though. One source claims it was an ammo explosion and not a suicide run and that the Navy has not officially classified it as an attack yet. that was yesterday though, seen a picture of the ship, certainly looks like a hit.

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 10
- 10/13/2000 7:33:00 PM   
Grumble

Yeah, the photos I've seen indicate a blast from outside directed in. What I've read points to two groups: Yemeni Islah ("get the US presence out of Yemen"/Islamic state), and an Egyptian group, with similar motives. Hizbollah is possible, I guess, but since they've come out and said UN mediation over the crisis is acceptable, not much to gain by this.

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 11
- 10/13/2000 7:51:00 PM   
Leibstandarte

God Bless my fellow service members. I wish them all a speedy and safe journey home. For those that have fallen you have made the ultimate sacrifice for your country. I can only hope that I and the rest of your brothers and sisters in uniform can find and punish those responsible. Save a place at the Fiddler's Green for we all shall meet again. ------------------ Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 12
- 10/13/2000 10:08:00 PM   
chief

"The Cole" They sailed in harms way, heroes all...... Smooth sailing Shipmates.....chief

"God Bless America and All the Young men and women who give their all to protect Her"....chief

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 13
- 10/14/2000 12:09:00 AM   
silentsurfer

even though they are in the business of laying down their lives for their country, no one expects or deserves to have it end in such an un nessesary way. As an ex military man, my heart goes out to them. Long live the brave, death to the cowards surfer

what the ....

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 14
- 10/14/2000 12:19:00 AM   
Rhone

This is nice. I am preparing to be stationed in Turkey early next year. I was kinda hoping that the opportunity allows me the chance to do some site-seeing, I hope the region isn't enveloped in warfare when I get there. As for the Isreali response, it may not of been fair, but damn, when they want to send a message, they send one. None of this cowardly Muslim crap. If you have a problem with someone, you stand toe to toe with them and see who wins. Terrorism is for the lesser people.

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 15
- 10/14/2000 1:49:00 AM   
Grumble

Understand your sentiment, terrorism IS the weapon of the weak, but like most Americans don't lump Muslims in with the boneheads who pull terrorist acts, like this latest one. It's NOT about religion, never is really, it's about profane stuff like political power.

Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 16
- 10/14/2000 6:08:00 AM   
Rhone

I disagree. The Muslims are ruled by the Koran and the leaders of these states do not allow their people to be lumped seperately. Everyone is in agreement that they died for Allah. Terrorism has always been accepted as a means to be vengeful by Muslim states. Until the governments denounce such acts and assist in snuffing it out (they won't) they will always be stereotyped. If they wish...

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 17
- 10/15/2000 5:55:00 AM   
Huffy

God's speed to all....and thanks to all our service men and woman ...past ...present ...and future. Huffy

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 18
- 10/15/2000 6:58:00 AM   
Drex

God bless the wounded and fallen of the USS Cole -Heroes all.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 19
- 10/15/2000 4:31:00 PM   
The MSG

Anyone saying that terrorism is a Muslim perogative really should buff up on his/her history lessions... Read about the early years in Israel, and who were the terrorists then... And, btw, if you´d be outmatched the way the Palestinians are, would you try to put up an army and fight a conventional war? That would just be stupid... I dont condone terrorism, but the world did a fine job ignoring their problems before some people started blowing up ****. Another point, who has to gain the most of the bombing of the Cole? Its probably not the ones you first thought! ------------------ The MSG [This message has been edited by The MSG (edited October 15, 2000).]

"Arf! Arf! Thats my other dog impression."
-Oddball

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 20
- 10/15/2000 9:18:00 PM   
Rhone

The point is not about reading history. The point is that all hatreds and warfares and political enemies are based on stereotypes. If the Palestinians/Isrealis/Iraqis/Americans base their concerns on something other than slighly inflated stereo-typical values then I would be impressed. So in the meantime, All Americans are police man, all Isrealis can fly the hell out of Jet airplanes, all Iraqis are wildly irrational, all Palestinians are terrorists. And all Christians stand up and fight like men and all Muslims hide behind masks and hope to terrorize the unsuspecting. Stereotypes are a terrible tool, but highly effective in motivating the lesser informed. So my point being, until the Muslim community actively snuffs terrorism out, the stereotype will exist and be used against them. Such is the way of the world.

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 21
- 10/16/2000 9:02:00 PM   
Grumble

"Stereotypes are a terrible tool, but highly effective in motivating the lesser informed. So my point being, until the Muslim community actively snuffs terrorism out, the stereotype will exist and be used against them." The Koran considers Jews and Christians as "people of the book" worthy of respect and friendship. You may wish to reread it. ..and your ARE stereotyping the "Muslim Community" whatever that is. You are saying ALL Muslims support terrorism, blatantly untrue, and they died "for Allah". Your intel must be different than mine-didn't see that anywhere. Sure the propaganda is religiously oriented, but the REALITY is it's political; whether state-sponsored or individual action. Many of these groups were rabid Marxists until that line of support died out. Then, with the rise of the Iranian Islamic state, they amazingly became fundamentalist.

Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 22
- 10/16/2000 11:26:00 PM   
jsaurman

Muslims are unfairly categorized as being "terrorist oriented" when most of them are not. They are totally at the mercy of stereotypes. Like any other religion in the world, there is a liberal, centrist, and radical-extreemist wing. Unfortunately, it is the radical wing that gets all the press when they call for "holy wars" against the infidels who are poluting their culture. All religions have the same problem, though. In the United States, we have religous extremeists who shoot and bomb doctors that work in abortion clinics, because they have been whipped into a religious frenzy by someone. Same difference. Doesn't mean that all religious people are bad, just that some are suseptible to the charismatic extremeist leaders who twist their followers weak wills to their own nefarious purposes. Unfortunately, there are governments in this world who turn a blind eye to the extreemists and when things get blown up, they sort of shrug their collective shoulders and say "Well we can't control them" and that is what makes me mad. These governments are not actively sponsoring terrorism, but they passively stand by and watch when it is directed at other countries. If it were directed at their own country, you know that they would be tearing sh*t up to find out who did it. JIM

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 23
- 10/17/2000 2:38:00 AM   
U235

Nikademus, You right, it was a hit. It was a zodiac loaded with explosives. I read the CNO's message to the fleet, but they still are not sure (publicly) who did it, as no group has come forward. I don't think it's fair to Moslems or Arabs in general to accept terrorism as a national/group trait. Having spent some time in the area, I found the people to be very friendly and forthcoming. I wonder if we (the US) are doing the right thing sometimes by trying to be the "world police" force. I hate to see my fellow shipmates lives wasted for no apparent reason. It one thing to die in a declared war or action, but this makes me sick. My prayers are for the surviors, injured, thier families and the families of the dead. They are the ones that must live on without thier friends and loved ones. And I hope that those that past on are in a much better place.

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 24
- 10/17/2000 4:28:00 AM   
Dean Robb

"There but for the Grace of God..." Let us not forget that women serve on the Cole as well; and at least one has given her life in service to her country. As a former destroyerman who has served in the area during "peacetime", I empathize with those sailors. You are on your guard anytime you're within small boat range of shore, only a "trusted" boat could get near. The Cole's sailors literaly had no chance. Prayers for the dead, the wounded...and the scarred survivors. As to the culprit: Let us not forget that Iraq isn't exactly out of the question. Especially as Cole was en route to blockade duty.

Job Security: Being a Micro$oft lawyer...

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 25
- 10/17/2000 7:28:00 AM   
Ismael

Valiant women of the Cole we remember you are there facing danger for one goal, “to prevent one must prepare”.

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 26
- 10/17/2000 5:41:00 PM   
Heartland

quote:

Originally posted by Rhone: If you have a problem with someone, you stand toe to toe with them and see who wins. Terrorism is for the lesser people.
That's easy to say for the big guy. I don't see Barak and Arafat lining up with six-shooters to settle the matter, nor did Clinton and Milosevic, so I don't see why this is the fault of the Palestinians, for example. When they are armed to the hilt with F-16s and Abrams tanks, then they can stand toe to toe and settle it, otherwise it's just a big guy beating up and small kid, and that's just as cowardly as being a terrorist IMO.

"Spare some change for a homocidal maniac..."
-- Homeless guy in the London subway

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 27
- 10/17/2000 6:34:00 PM   
Fredde

To add to the last note, one can seriously question if bombing a country with cruising missiles and high-altitude bombs is standing toe to toe with the enemy

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 28
- 10/17/2000 7:59:00 PM   
Grumble

Since when is warfare "fair"? I've been shot at on two continents and believe me if I can kill you without risking myself or my bro's-I'm going to do it, and it's going to suck to be you. Warfare is not some Medieval joust-it's a national contest of wills; yes I'm sure I read that somewhere... Only an idiot, or someone with an inadequately developed sense of self-preservation, fights how his opponent fights best.

Nigel Tufnel

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 29
- 11/9/2000 9:49:00 PM   
David F. Wall

Here's a reference to a site with some pretty interesting pictures of the USN packing up the Cole for transport. http://ollies.net/usscole/ Do they still call those things LSDs? (Landing Ship Dock) My dad's second ship in the navy was and LSD (after a stint on the carrier Princeton) and I was wondering if the other ship is a more modern version. DFW

(in reply to Randy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> USS Cole Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI