Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strange course

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Strange course Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strange course - 1/12/2009 8:13:09 PM   
Xavier5733

Is somebody could explain to me why one of my TF follow such a strange course between PH and Midway

Does my TF try to avoid the 2 IJN subs east of Midway ?

The Tanker you can see in Midway arrived the day before... and the two subs where already spotted in the area.

(I play a game vs AI, CHS mod with AB extended map)
Post #: 1
RE: Strange course - 1/12/2009 8:16:03 PM   
wernerpruckner

enemy subs ahead!!!

The pathfinding trys to find a secure path to Midway.
Yous ee some enemy subs, maybe the pathfinding AI knows of some more threads....

(in reply to Xavier5733)
Post #: 2
RE: Strange course - 1/13/2009 12:24:16 AM   
Mobeer

I've just come across another strange course.

At first glance it looks ok.

But it is going to pick up resources at Port Arthur, refuelling at Bonin, and currently nearer to Marcus Island?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wernerpruckner)
Post #: 3
RE: Strange course - 1/13/2009 1:22:22 AM   
stuman

Your captains must be getting paid by the mile.

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 4
RE: Strange course - 1/13/2009 3:12:11 AM   
wwengr

The answer is a little more obvious when you consider what the routing algorithm does.  The algorithm considers several factors:
  1. Undesirable hexes - Shallow, Coastal
  2. Enemy threat - Close to enemy bases, enemy TF's along route
  3. Destination
  4. Home port

It will try to take the shortest route, while avoiding threats and undesirable hexes, that allows it to get to the destination and return to the home port with the current available fuel.  If the endurance of one of the ships in the TF will not make it on its current fuel, the algorithm will take the shortest route.

Woody, your route is short enough and your ships have fuel enough, even the destroyers, to make that circuitous route avoiding the threats.  If you want to run the gauntlet, either set the home port to a far away point or actively manage the destination with each move.

Mobeer, my guess is that your TF home port is at Bonin or the routing to the home port takes it near Bonin and that avoidance of Coastal hexes doesn't happen because the more ideal routing (going between Amami and Osumi to stay in deep water) results in not enough fuel...  Either that or the algorithm is simply confused!

< Message edited by wwengr -- 1/13/2009 2:04:51 PM >

I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 5
RE: Strange course - 1/13/2009 10:18:07 AM   
Bogo Mil

Why are shallow and coastal hexes "undesirable"? I think subs are penalized in these hexes, thus it should be very desirable to use as many shallow hexes as possible for surface ships, shouldn't it?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 6
RE: Strange course - 1/13/2009 11:40:19 AM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bogo Mil

Why are shallow and coastal hexes "undesirable"? I think subs are penalized in these hexes, thus it should be very desirable to use as many shallow hexes as possible for surface ships, shouldn't it?

Historically, ships run aground in shallow water (or hit the coast)... the game is trying to reproduce this, and thus TFs try to stay in deep water.

Of course, if the game allowed groundings (and subsequent destruction) of ships in shallow water, players might not be so anxious to route ships this way.

(in reply to Bogo Mil)
Post #: 7
RE: Strange course - 1/13/2009 12:59:33 PM   
Sayar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mobeer

I've just come across another strange course.

At first glance it looks ok.

But it is going to pick up resources at Port Arthur, refuelling at Bonin, and currently nearer to Marcus Island?

This is because yuor TF is going first to pick up resources and only then go to bonin for refuel

(in reply to Mobeer)
Post #: 8
RE: Strange course - 1/13/2009 1:27:35 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bogo Mil

The game engine penalises coastal hexes due to the lack of depth to hide in, although in reality the clutter more than makes up for the additional vulnerability to underwater explosions. It also slows TFs down and makes it more difficult for CVTFs to launch, now due to the islands that get in the way of a course into the wind.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Bogo Mil)
Post #: 9
RE: Strange course - 1/13/2009 2:37:27 PM   
Feinder

It's a bug in the game. Your TF is trying to find a safe path around subs or enemy TF.

Probably baddies in the ?-triangle, my guess is where the circle is. And where the X is.

-F-

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Feinder -- 1/13/2009 3:28:55 PM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Xavier5733)
Post #: 10
RE: Strange course - 1/13/2009 5:50:47 PM   
Chris21wen

quote:

ORIGINAL: wwengr

The answer is a little more obvious when you consider what the routing algorithm does.  The algorithm considers several factors:
  1. Undesirable hexes - Shallow, Coastal
  2. Enemy threat - Close to enemy bases, enemy TF's along route
  3. Destination
  4. Home port

Pity it soen't take into account emamy aircraft ranges, or at least if it does why doesn't it take note.

(in reply to wwengr)
Post #: 11
RE: Strange course - 1/13/2009 6:18:58 PM   
Rainer

I believe (but never tested) that AIR ZOC is taken into consideration with recent versions of WitP.
In my campaigns (1.806, Allied vs AI, Stock, no mods) I discovered that convoys from US West Coast to Australia/Papua-New Guinea sometimes (not always) avoid the Japanese occupied Central Pacific Islands (Marshalls etc.).
Because I developed the habit to re-route these convoys manually it came as a mild surprise to see several convoys doing this on their own.
Then again, could very well be that said convoys simply did it because of enemy subs lurking in the vicinity.

(in reply to Chris21wen)
Post #: 12
RE: Strange course - 1/14/2009 3:22:39 AM   
wwengr

Aircraft range is taken into account.

The routing algorithm seems to have a Monte Carlo component becuase you can sometimes get a route change by changing destinations, then changing back.  It has trouble with long distances.  Probably the most reliable way to feed ships to the Japanese LBA is to take a TF in Pearl or on the West Coast and give it a destination in Oz or there about.  The TF will run right through the gauntlet.

I have been inputting my orders for the campaign game first turn since July 4, 2009. I'm getting close. In another month or two, I might be able to run the turn!

(in reply to Rainer)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Strange course Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI