Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Newbie Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Newbie Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Newbie Questions - 10/13/2000 11:06:00 AM   
Paul Lakowski

OK I'm looking to upgrade my SP series as theres just no competition out there so I guess we have to flogg SP in to some kind of shape. First bussiness, there's no way in hell I'm going to down load a >300Mb anything , is there any retail outlets for this product?Can you buy it on line and is that secure?

Post #: 1
- 10/13/2000 11:28:00 AM   
Tankhead

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Lakowski: OK I'm looking to upgrade my SP series as theres just no competition out there so I guess we have to flogg SP in to some kind of shape. First bussiness, there's no way in hell I'm going to down load a >300Mb anything , is there any retail outlets for this product?Can you buy it on line and is that secure?
Hi Paul! Please DO NOT send us money for a CD as we can not make you a CD do to our agreement with Mattel/SSI. It is a free game and the best SP ever. If you ask very nice maybe someone will send you a CD. If you look in the last 2 weeks on this forum, some folks burn CD for some fellow gamers. I don't have a CD burner so I can't help you there but maybe someone else might. Tankhead ------------------ Rick Cloutier [email]rcclout@telusplanet.net[/email] Coordinator: Tankhead's SPWAW Resources http://tankhead.home.icq.com

Tankhead

(in reply to Paul Lakowski)
Post #: 2
- 10/13/2000 10:19:00 PM   
Lurker

Paul: Another option that you might want to look into is asking your ISP to copy the game onto a CD for you. I live in a small town that doesn't have any of those high speed connections out of the home ( the biggest thing we have out here is good ol' Copper wires and tin cans ( read: 33.6 regular ol' telephone lines) ), so when I found this game ( and you boys at Matrix Games can thank the good Colonel over at PC Gamer for THIS man's introduction to your game ), THEN found the huge download time that it would take on a regular 33.6 modem,. the first thing I did was header down to my ISP, who is probably the only one around this place who actually can afford DSL. He agreed to charge me an undisclosed amount of money to get it off the net. Might be something you want to look into. Lurker

"A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow. " -General George S. Patton

Post #: 3
- 10/13/2000 10:57:00 PM   
Wild Bill

We spent thousands of man hours working on this update over a one year period. I realize that is of little interest to you, Paul. I'm sorry that we cannot afford to not only do the game, but to personally burn you a Cd and send it to you. There are limits to what we can do. I hope you are able to get the game and enjoy it. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 4
- 10/14/2000 2:58:00 AM   
Red Baron

Hi paul.. Mail me your snail-mail and i will ship you a copy ASP. No charge..Well maybe you could buy me a beer if i ever get the kind of cash to get past you country Regards..Red Baron ------------------ "SEMPER PARATUS" An Old Hawk Soldier Is Allways Ready!!

Post #: 5
- 10/14/2000 3:21:00 AM   
thaBuce

The game is on a CD with the Oct (I think) issue of PC Mag. That's how I got. Iam at work now so I'll check when I get home and make sure that is the issue.

Post #: 6
- 10/14/2000 4:10:00 AM   
Paul Lakowski

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: We spent thousands of man hours working on this update over a one year period. I realize that is of little interest to you, Paul. I'm sorry that we cannot afford to not only do the game, but to personally burn you a Cd and send it to you. There are limits to what we can do. I hope you are able to get the game and enjoy it. Wild Bill
I'sorry did I do or say something wrong????

Post #: 7
- 10/14/2000 5:07:00 AM   
Latka

Nah, all I saw in your post was you complaining about the download size. It *is* quite mammoth, but then again, these folks are giving away their hard efforts. If you can't pick up PC Gamer or have one of the gents on the board mail it to you, I'd suggest trying "Get Right" (download manager). You can set it so that you start the download and go to bed at night In the morning, you can stop the download and resume it the next evening. Don't worry about Wild Bill. I'm a new guy to the scene here, and in my eyes he seems like a nice guy... you probably just got him at a grumpy moment -Andy

Post #: 8
- 10/14/2000 5:07:00 AM   
Warhorse

Paul, nah, you didn't do or say anything wrong, although from the message, I could see where it could be construed as a slur or something!!! Bill didn't mean anything other than to let you know how much time, etc. but realizes that doesn't mean as much to you as actually getting the game, and finding out for yourself Your alright man, we'll get you hooked...er, I mean fixed up ASAP!!!! ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 9
- 10/14/2000 5:16:00 AM   
rexmonday

paul - I think you just got slightly misinterpreted. Don't worry about it. If you want something to worry about, just wait until you see the Tiger II's crawling towards you across the funky new maps. You've got a helluva a rough time in store for you then.

Post #: 10
- 10/14/2000 6:56:00 AM   
Paul Lakowski

OK I was worried at first,Bill I do know what its like .I spent hundreds of hours developing the armor file for Steel Beast. Didn't get a penny for my efforts but at least I'm starting to get credit.[got a free copy of the game as well]. At the risk of starting out on the wrong foot could some one fill me in on how the AI is changed from SP-1& 2. For example , in a set piece battle ,I could never program the computer to get the tanks to follow the mine clearing tanks through the gap they just ploughed. They just took the shortest route to there deaths impailing themselves on the mine field. Also is there any ablity to 'pre programm the arty for the computer in a scenario'..for more than the first turn.

Post #: 11
- 10/15/2000 12:41:00 AM   
Paul Lakowski

I think I'll check out the PC Gamer thing but if I can't find it , I may take one of you guys up on the offer for a copy...maybe I can send some thing in return...any one interested in terminal ballistics ....oh I'm also working on a simplified penetration formula that alread works for Steel APFSDS and I'm trying to adapt it to Ogive AP shot types. [ DU & WHA formulas aren't needed cause they have already been done by Anderson et al]

Post #: 12
- 10/15/2000 4:34:00 AM   
silentsurfer

Hey Paul, dont worry about WB, he's really a great fella from what I can tell about his posts, we've just gotten some newbies around here and all they seem to want to do is complain, I think WildBill is feeling unloved (lotsa kisses to WB everyone )but you did nothing wrong. Anyway, the game is available in the October issue of PCGamer, available at your favorite magazine stand in September. The mag is likely off many of the selves now as the November issue would have just come out. If you dont have any luck finding one, let me know and I'll ship it to you, I have two. My only payment will be in creating good karma The mag cover is one with a Starfleet ship getting an ass kicking by a Romulan warbird. Good luck and hopefully next time you write WB will have just woken up from his afternoon nap and be his usuall self Surfer

what the ....

Post #: 13
- 10/15/2000 5:25:00 AM   
Paul Lakowski

quote:

Originally posted by silentsurfer: Hey Paul, dont worry about WB, he's really a great fella from what I can tell about his posts, we've just gotten some newbies around here and all they seem to want to do is complain, I think WildBill is feeling unloved (lotsa kisses to WB everyone )but you did nothing wrong. Anyway, the game is available in the October issue of PCGamer, available at your favorite magazine stand in September. The mag is likely off many of the selves now as the November issue would have just come out. If you dont have any luck finding one, let me know and I'll ship it to you, I have two. My only payment will be in creating good karma The mag cover is one with a Starfleet ship getting an ass kicking by a Romulan warbird. Good luck and hopefully next time you write WB will have just woken up from his afternoon nap and be his usuall self Surfer
No problem about Bill, I just checked out the local mag store and they just have the Nov issue. Theres one option left that I'll check before I cry uncle and start hollering for help.

Post #: 14
- 10/19/2000 9:38:00 PM   
Paul Lakowski

I'm still waiting to find out if my local News store can get the back issue of PC Gamer to get the CD, in the meantime I have a question. In SP 1&2 the AI almost always moved the unit before firing where as most players probably fire first , then move as you get a better hit %. Is this changed in SPWAW? It seems to me there ought to be some kind of 'short halt fire ' routen or allow you to choose tactics for units when you plot 'waypoints' etc. What do you think?

Post #: 15
- 10/19/2000 11:43:00 PM   
Major Destruction

in a set piece battle...... * I assume you mean a scenario as opposed to a generated battle? ......I could never program the computer to get the tanks to follow the mine clearing tanks through the gap they just ploughed. They just took the shortest route to there deaths impailing themselves on the mine field. *You might try using the waypoints. Also is there any ablity to 'pre programm the arty for the computer in a scenario'..for more than the first turn. * In my 'Job for the Infantry" scenario, I was able to set the preliminary bombardment for both preliminary and at the end of turn 1. Those that came in at the end of turn one were positioned using the prelim bbmt option and moved until the delay was long enough. I have not experimented with any longer delays but that might work for you.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

Post #: 16
- 10/20/2000 12:34:00 AM   
Paul Lakowski

quote:

Originally posted by Major Destruction: in a set piece battle...... ......I could never program the computer to get the tanks to follow the mine clearing tanks through the gap they just ploughed. They just took the shortest route to there deaths impailing themselves on the mine field. *You might try using the waypoints.
I did but it didn't make any difference, my version was 1.01, could that make a difference.
quote:

Also is there any ablity to 'pre programm the arty for the computer in a scenario'..for more than the first turn. * In my 'Job for the Infantry" scenario, I was able to set the preliminary bombardment for both preliminary and at the end of turn 1. Those that came in at the end of turn one were positioned using the prelim bbmt option and moved until the delay was long enough. I have not experimented with any longer delays but that might work for you.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "prelim bbmt option"? I just plot the arty and let the computer do the rest, this works fine in the first turn but after that the computer may or maynot hit the same hexes again.

Post #: 17
- 10/20/2000 1:53:00 AM   
Major Destruction

Set your preliminary bombardment by selecting the target hex and the artillery unit in the normal fashion. If you leave it as is, the bombardment will come in before turn 1 starts. Now move the target hex using the movement arrow button. Each time you do so, the delay will increase. Once the delay has exceded 1.0 the bombardment will come in at the end of turn 1. That is as far as I went. Maybe you can increase the delay to 2.0, 3.0, you will have to test this. One caveat. I did this in version 2.3. no telling if it still works in 4.3.

They struggled with a ferocity that was to be expected of brave men fighting with forlorn hope against an enemy who had the advantage of position......knowing that courage was the one thing that would save them.

Julius Caesar, 57 BC

Post #: 18
- 10/24/2000 5:59:00 AM   
Paul Lakowski

Hi all what are the system requirments for the full version?

Post #: 19
- 10/24/2000 1:44:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Paul Lakowski: Hi all what are the system requirments for the full version?
Go to the general - tech support - forum; http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/Forum15/HTML/000004.html Your questions is discussed there sufficiently. Arralen [This message has been edited by Arralen (edited October 24, 2000).]

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

Post #: 20
- 10/24/2000 8:49:00 PM   
Supervisor

Whenever, or if ever, it becomes available where you are, get an ADSL line. The a 300mb download becomes a snap.

Post #: 21
- 10/25/2000 10:57:00 AM   
AmmoSgt

???? ok let me see what we got here.... i can wait till december for a mag days for snail mail or i can just download the whole game in under 40 hours while chatting online goofin off sleepin reading boards and then i will spend probably 1000's of hours over years enjoying the heck outta this game ..do get the getright manager the sucker works ...and the sooner ya start the sooner you play i luv this game

"For Americans war is almost all of the time a nuisance, and military skill is a luxury like Mah-jongg. But when the issue is brought home to them, war becomes as important, for the necessary periods, as business or sport. And it is hard to decide which

Post #: 22
- 11/11/2000 8:31:00 AM   
Paul Lakowski

Another question , is there any where a good SPOBEDIT program that I can down load for SPW@W? In the SP-1&2 ROF was indicated but you couldn't change it... thats to say even if I used the SPOBEDIT it made no difference to the game. Has this been changed to the game?

Post #: 23
- 11/11/2000 9:11:00 AM   
Redleg

Two things, guys. One: Red Baron. Your generosity amazes me. You are an asset to the gaming community. Two. Computer Gaming World (Dec Issue) has what I believe is V4 in the envelope. It cost about $8 or $9 U.S. This cuts down dramatically on what it takes to get a current copy of the game.

Post #: 24
- 11/11/2000 9:12:00 AM   
Don

Yes, there is an OOB editor included with the game - many gamers use this. There is also a link in the OOB editor to a better editor that you can buy. It's $20, and it's pretty good! Don

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

Post #: 25
- 11/12/2000 9:02:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Hey Paul, sorry, this thread got lost to me somwhow. I'm glad you have the game and it is working (I assume that it is). No, no bad feelings on my part. I want everyone who can to get the game. I wish I knew better ways of distribution but with no income from it, it limits what can be done. Fortunately we have good folks around here always ready to help. Steel Beasts, huh? Quite a game. A nice tank sim. I did not know you worked on that. Good job! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 26
- 11/12/2000 9:24:00 PM   
Lou

Like you, I blanched when I saw that SPWAW required a 300M download. I got version 3 via PC Gamer (I think that's right). However, I saw that upgrading to v.4 would require another big download (I live in the wilds of Maine. I'm grateful I even have phone service that works 75% of the time). The December issue of Computer Gaming World has come to my rescue with v.4. Plus there's a really good article about the upcoming "Return to Wolfenstein" (hmmmmmm, killing Nazis). Have fun. Lou
quote:

Originally posted by Paul Lakowski: OK I'm looking to upgrade my SP series as theres just no competition out there so I guess we have to flogg SP in to some kind of shape. First bussiness, there's no way in hell I'm going to down load a >300Mb anything , is there any retail outlets for this product?Can you buy it on line and is that secure?

Post #: 27
- 11/12/2000 10:24:00 PM   
Paul Lakowski

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: Hey Paul, sorry, this thread got lost to me somwhow. I'm glad you have the game and it is working (I assume that it is).
Yes Thanks I got it running , now I just have to work out how to convert my SP-1s scen to W@W.....Hey does anyone know if theres a big archive to send Scen to for SPW@W? I thought that 'WWW wargammer.com' would of by now but doesn't seem that way?
quote:

No, no bad feelings on my part. I want everyone who can to get the game. I wish I knew better ways of distribution but with no income from it, it limits what can be done. Fortunately we have good folks around here always ready to help. Steel Beasts, huh? Quite a game. A nice tank sim. I did not know you worked on that. Good job!
No problems Bill, I've got a bad rep going on boards like CM and raising hell because I don't like the way they've done things ....make enemies fast...but its all in the interest of making the games better 'so its all good'!! My roll in SB was the advisor cap and I redid the armor for them...helping SPMW in the same way.But I realy love what Al & Nils have done and I'm really proud to be apart of there team [even if we don't get paid]....we're working on T-72 extension for SB , so look out for that! Bill we're a part of a fraternity of people who work on these games for the luv of it!

Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Newbie Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI