Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: What is worth to see in US for average European

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What is worth to see in US for average European Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/17/2009 5:37:57 AM   
JMHawkins

Hard to say without knowing what you (or the other folks on the trip) really enjoy, but for natural beauty, I'd agree with Yellowstone.  It's amazing.  Maestro's comment about the Redwoods is good too (that's where I grew up).  A drive up from SF to Eureka (or Arcata) CA, and splitting a day between Patrick's Point State Park and at the Lady Bird Johnson grove is something to consider.   Or add some time and meander through the wine country north of SF on your way there.  For military history, the USS Hornet (http://www.uss-hornet.org/) is in the Bay Area. 

For southern california, I love San Diego (well, and Disneyland).  In SD, there's Balboa Park, the Zoo, and the Wild Animal Park. 

Hard to fit everything into a three week driving trip though.  You could do Yellowstone -> Brice/Zion -> Vegas -> LA/San Diego -> SF/Napa -> Redwoods for a nature-heavy trip.  You'd have one or two driving-days each week, maybe not relaxing enough depending on what you're looking for.  But yu'd have three different types of amazing natural beauty, the Vegas nightlife, and the southern California beaches.   

Or you could come up to Seattle, rent a boat and spend three weeks floating around the San Juan Islands.  Very relaxing (as long as the boat doesn't sink). 

-----------------------
-JohnH
-----------------------

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 31
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/18/2009 3:12:32 AM   
cdbeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie
New York City sucks. I wouldn't go there if you gave me an expense account and an armored car.

Barbarian... Philistine...

I am originally from the Midwest in the US, but moved to New York City. I have found New York City to be one of the most exciting, amazing, beautiful places on the planet. Sure, it is a huge city, but you can see nearly anything and everything, and the neighborhoods are much like small towns in themselves. I suggest that you don't dwell too long at the tourist sites, even though they are iconic. Take a nice boat tour around Manhattan, there you will get to see the skyline as you cruise the river and hear a little history. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (the Met) is nice, but being from Europe you can see things like that pretty easily (like the Louvre). New York is very safe, I never felt in danger no matter what time of night we were out (and I am not some huge imposing guy or anything).

New York is best explored "off the guidebook," going around and trying to find things that interest you - not some tour guide writer. Eat NY pizza, have a drink (overpriced) at a club/bar that you find charming, go to Central Park, cruise Broadway and 5th avenue, take a movie tour (takes you to places that have featured prominently in movies), wander into the Museum of Sex (or some other smaller, stranger museum). Just go with the flow, you'll have much more fun.

I really love Maine, Acadia National Park, very picturesque. They have mountains and the sea, right next to each other. Vermount's Green Mountain range and New Hampshire's White Mountains (my personal favorite) are also very nice.

Out west, you should try to see the Badlands. You really won't see anything like this anywhere else. The sights are nice in California's Yosemite national park, but it is basically like a nature oriented Disneyland with all the tourists and you would be better staying out of the valley and going around the park perimeter on your own (heavy hiking required). Or you could go to some of the quieter and nearly as nice parks like Zion National Park in Utah, which has breathtaking red rocks and huge canyons.

Just saw the above post - missed it before - I was trying to think of Brice national park as well, both it an Zion are great. Yellowstone, although very busy, is also great fun - strange terrain, almost like another planet.

SoM

< Message edited by Son_of_Montfort -- 1/18/2009 3:14:31 AM >

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Doggie)
Post #: 32
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/18/2009 4:06:22 AM   
Missouri Rebel

Do you have any idea what the penalty for animal cruelty is in this state? Well, I bet it's pretty severe.

Attachment (1)

We must act... against the Sioux, even to the extermination of men, WOMEN and CHILDREN.The more Indians we can kill this year, the less will have to be killed next year. They all have to be killed or be maintained as a species of paupers.- w.t. SHErMAN

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 33
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/18/2009 4:07:55 AM   
Mangudai

Random driving vacations are a great way to see the USA.

All the national parks are great. Whenever you cross a state line on the interstate there will probably be a visitor center at a rest area, stop there and find out about all the local interest sites.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 34
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/18/2009 4:19:37 AM   
balto

Canoerebels South and Northeast selections are great and well thought out.  But right now in the Northeast, it is cold as crap.  Any chance you would wait till Winter is over?  I work right outside of DC.  If you do go to DC (which you definitely should) talk to me - you could very easily be murdered if you go off the beaten path.  I could explain to you where to park outside of DC and how to use the subway, which is safe, to see everything you could ever want to see. 

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 35
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/18/2009 4:27:11 AM   
06 Maestro

Perhaps I was too negative about Southern Cal-San Diego is my home town, after all. The mention of Balboa Park sparked some memories-a fantastic place. San Diego also has Sea World (the Dolphins are unbelievable) and the S.D. Zoo-one of the greatest anywhere.

A tourist would find San Diego very interesting and entertaining-40 years ago it was also a paradise on earth-no more (from my vantage point).

(in reply to Mangudai)
Post #: 36
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/19/2009 1:28:58 AM   
cdbeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

If you do go to DC (which you definitely should) talk to me - you could very easily be murdered if you go off the beaten path. 

I'm guessing you work for the D.C. Office of Tourism...

Not exactly a great way to get people to come to our fair capital. Although, to be fair, it has a terrible crime rate.

SoM

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 37
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/19/2009 3:44:36 AM   
hgilmer3

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: hgilmer3
You're from Poland!  You should come live here, we need all the Polish people we can get!

Too late - we're already getting the best of them

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

You haven't got all of them, yet. You didn't get me, although I'm willing to relocate, if it is for a good job!

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 38
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/19/2009 8:49:17 AM   
RyanCrierie

Wright Patterson AFB, Ohio. Biggest collection of rare aircraft ever

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 39
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/19/2009 9:49:54 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.
San Diego is worth a few days, in fact I'd avoid LA completely and head South.

Our trip takes us through Palm Springs, which is relatively close to San Diego, and the main reason I'd visit it is to have a look at a real life aircraft carrier. Any way to find out if there's one there late June ? And if you can get close enough for a good look ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 40
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/19/2009 10:28:58 AM   
doomtrader

Last time when I was in San Francisco, Blue Angels were there flying over the bay

ATM we are going trough our USA guidebook and I'm starting to be scared as there is so many things worth to see at both coasts.

It would be really hard to decide. Most probably we are focusing on the rural area, but of course we would like to hit one or two big cities.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 41
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/19/2009 10:50:25 AM   
cdbeck

quote:

quote:

Our trip takes us through Palm Springs, which is relatively close to San Diego, and the main reason I'd visit it is to have a look at a real life aircraft carrier. Any way to find out if there's one there late June ? And if you can get close enough for a good look ?

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Eddy, there is ALWAYS an Aircraft Carrier at San Diego. It is a decommissioned one that they turned into a museum - The USS Midway. So, not only can you get close, you can get ON it and see a collection of aircraft and such. We have one in New York City, The Intrepid and it just reopened. My wife and I went to it and I had tons of fun! They may not be the ones actually in use now, but they aren't too old and give you the general sense of the size and power of these awesome platforms!

SoM

< Message edited by Son_of_Montfort -- 1/19/2009 10:51:04 AM >

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 42
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/19/2009 11:57:22 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort
Eddy, there is ALWAYS an Aircraft Carrier at San Diego. It is a decommissioned one that they turned into a museum - The USS Midway. So, not only can you get close, you can get ON it and see a collection of aircraft and such.

Thanks a million ! - a daytrip to San Diego just became a must - I knew about the one in New York, but that was just too hard to fit in our schedule.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 43
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/19/2009 6:32:37 PM   
morvwilson

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

Last time when I was in San Francisco, Blue Angels were there flying over the bay

ATM we are going trough our USA guidebook and I'm starting to be scared as there is so many things worth to see at both coasts.

It would be really hard to decide. Most probably we are focusing on the rural area, but of course we would like to hit one or two big cities.

Maybe this has been suggested already but, you might consider Yellow Stone Park and Mount Rushmore as part of the rural part.
I have driven coast to coast befor, and if you dont play tourist the drive can be done in about 5 days. Playing tourist, as we did when I was 8 on our first trip, we took a week.
I would also advise you to avoid interstate 80 between Salt Lake City UT and Winnamucca Nev. Its the salt flats, absolutely NOTHING there!
I am already guessing you are a historian/wargame buff since you are posting here. But what is your wife interested in? That could narrow down the choices a little.

http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 44
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/19/2009 7:22:26 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

Eddy, there is ALWAYS an Aircraft Carrier at San Diego. It is a decommissioned one that they turned into a museum - The USS Midway. So, not only can you get close, you can get ON it and see a collection of aircraft and such.

Thanks a million ! - a daytrip to San Diego just became a must - I knew about the one in New York, but that was just too hard to fit in our schedule.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

There is also the Flying Leatherneck Aircraft Museum out at Miramar Marine Air Base, outdoor display.

http://www.flyingleathernecks.org/

Downtown in Balboa park is the Air and Space Museum which is cool as well. I'd say you could do any two of these in a day, trying to hit all 3, (the midway, the two aircraft museums) might be a bit of a stretch.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 45
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/19/2009 7:27:16 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Come to think of it, Palm Springs used to have a really neat Aircraft Museum, indoors as well. It's in the same location as the airport. I haven't been there in years so I don't know what it's like these days.

The 3rd army desert museum is not too far away from PS, just about 45 minutes SE on the 10 from PS proper. It wasn't much to speak of when I was there a few years back but who knows what it's like today.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 46
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/19/2009 9:20:35 PM   
fvianello

Spend some days in NYC and Washington DC, you can't miss them. From there, a trip to Gettysburg could be a good idea if your family can stand it. Yorktown could be a good choice too, it's inside a wonderful natural park.

Done that, move West to San Francisco, the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas. If you're up for some extra adventure, fly to Phoenix and move to Tombstone (O.K. corral duel) by car; the route 66 is near there too.

A personal advice: avoid the park-and-sleep motels (the ones where you park your car in front of your room and go in without passing in front of a reception); they're used by trouble makers, drug dealers and such as base for their activities, I slept there 2 times and it was always troubles. Once I woke up at 6AM with the police smashing the door next to mine; when it was over I thought "Woha!!", but the first 2 minutes weren't nice.

H. Barca,
Surplus Consuls Dispatcher

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 47
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/20/2009 8:44:10 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

quote:

quote:

There is also the Flying Leatherneck Aircraft Museum out at Miramar Marine Air Base, outdoor display.

Downtown in Balboa park is the Air and Space Museum which is cool as well. I'd say you could do any two of these in a day, trying to hit all 3, (the midway, the two aircraft museums) might be a bit of a stretch.

I'll have to score some major points with the wife first to go see all 3

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 48
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/20/2009 1:59:51 PM   
morvwilson

One other point you may have already thought of, is a one way rental. You don't have to return the rental car to where you started.
For instance, you could fly into New York, rent your car there. Then drive to Los Angeles, using what ever route you want, and fly home from Los Angeles.

Hope this helps.

http://www.outskirtspress.com/Feud_MichaelWilson

Courage is not measured by the presence of fear, but by what a person does when they are scared!

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 49
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/20/2009 2:32:47 PM   
Greybriar

quote:

....We are planning to come for about three weeks. I know it should be at least three years. I also understand that trying to cover whole country has got no sense at all. So I'm trying to choose best area....

I agree. The United States is so large no one could begin to see everything in only three weeks. I suggest deciding what you and your wife want to see most and then planning on spending your time in that part of the U.S. Otherwise you will be wasting a lot of time driving from one part of the country to another. That was a major consideration when I suggested New England in my previous post. Most of the states there (e.g. Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut) are so small you can visit them all in the time you have.

If, on the other hand, you decide to see one particular sight like the Badlands in South Dakota, for example, you're going to be driving a long, long way and there isn't much to see once you get there but the Badlands (and Wall Drug). Ditto the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, and any number of other "must see" places. The time spent on the road will eat up your vacation.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy yourself. You can do that visiting any of the places mentioned.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to JMHawkins)
Post #: 50
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/20/2009 7:41:13 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'll have to score some major points with the wife first to go see all 3

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Heh, I know how that works, just turn her loose in Horton Plaza or Fashion Valley with the plastic.....problem resolved in the short term.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 51
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/20/2009 9:04:04 PM   
James Ward

quote:

Hi All.

I'm planning a trip to US this autumn for about three weeks, taking my wife and maybe a couple with us.We are planning to rent a car (some large SUV), and stop in motels without previous reservations (unless we know earlier we would like to stay for more than one night in one city).

I've already been in USA (living in CO, tripping to the west), and less more know what is worth to be seen, but I would be thankfull for your advices. Let me know what is worth to visit, what is must see.

I would say the girls in South Beach but since you are bringing your wife that might not fly

Niagara Falls, the giant Sequioa's, Grand Canyon, Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone Park are some of the greatest attractions in the world. You probably can't go wrong at any of them. If you like city life NY, DC, Chicago, LA and SF all have a lot going for them but ditch the car. Better yet ditch the car and go to Hawaii!

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 52
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/20/2009 11:42:59 PM   
jnier

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doggie
New York City sucks. I wouldn't go there if you gave me an expense account and an armored car.

Barbarian... Philistine...

I am originally from the Midwest in the US, but moved to New York City. I have found New York City to be one of the most exciting, amazing, beautiful places on the planet. Sure, it is a huge city, but you can see nearly anything and everything, and the neighborhoods are much like small towns in themselves. I suggest that you don't dwell too long at the tourist sites, even though they are iconic. Take a nice boat tour around Manhattan, there you will get to see the skyline as you cruise the river and hear a little history. The Metropolitan Museum of Art (the Met) is nice, but being from Europe you can see things like that pretty easily (like the Louvre). New York is very safe, I never felt in danger no matter what time of night we were out (and I am not some huge imposing guy or anything).

New York is best explored "off the guidebook," going around and trying to find things that interest you - not some tour guide writer. Eat NY pizza, have a drink (overpriced) at a club/bar that you find charming, go to Central Park, cruise Broadway and 5th avenue, take a movie tour (takes you to places that have featured prominently in movies), wander into the Museum of Sex (or some other smaller, stranger museum). Just go with the flow, you'll have much more fun.

SoM

Very well put. If you want to see history I would add Ellis Island, the Intrepid Musuem, and a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (start in Brooklyn Hieghts for the best view).

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 53
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/21/2009 2:16:35 AM   
JSS

quote:

Hi All.

I'm planning a trip to US this autumn for about three weeks, taking my wife and maybe a couple with us.We are planning to rent a car (some large SUV), and stop in motels without previous reservations (unless we know earlier we would like to stay for more than one night in one city).

I've already been in USA (living in CO, tripping to the west), and less more know what is worth to be seen, but I would be thankfull for your advices. Let me know what is worth to visit, what is must see.

For what its worth (given the same timeframe), my personal choice for 18 days in the US is being spent between Monterey and San Diego, CA. Would also recommend including San Francisco area on the trip.

Anyways, that's where I'm spending my R&R leave.

JSS

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 54
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/21/2009 2:30:28 AM   
hgilmer3

quote:

quote:

quote:

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

Eddy, there is ALWAYS an Aircraft Carrier at San Diego. It is a decommissioned one that they turned into a museum - The USS Midway. So, not only can you get close, you can get ON it and see a collection of aircraft and such. We have one in New York City, The Intrepid and it just reopened. My wife and I went to it and I had tons of fun! They may not be the ones actually in use now, but they aren't too old and give you the general sense of the size and power of these awesome platforms!

SoM

Bingo, The Midway's a goody. And the tour is pretty good, too. Good stories about what action the Midway saw.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 55
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/21/2009 3:09:42 AM   
Anendrue

Since we are such a divesr nation in heritage, geography, history, and culture. It might help to know what your interests are?

Integrity is what you do when nobody is watching.

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 56
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/21/2009 3:56:29 AM   
SeaMonkey

If your really into CVs and some military history, don't miss Texas.  Everyday my commute takes me over the harbor bridge with a bird's eyeview of CV16.  That's the "Blue Ghost" for you nostalgic fans, otherwise designated as the replacement for the Lexington, sunk in the Coral Sea.

Essex class, from my vantage point, it must be similar to just what a Japanese "Kate" torpedo armed pilot must have seen making his run on the starboard side and then on the way home I imagine a bow shot with a 500 lb bomb.  What a beautiful carrier!  Inside are all sorts of goodies, TBDs, SBDs, F4u, F6F, and a wonderful tribute to CV6, that's our beloved Enterprise that was cut up and used for scrap metal before it could be saved.  A nice tribute to the CVEs and CVLs also resides near the Admiral's quarters.

On to Fredricksburg for the Nimitz museum and the Pacific War museum also, most awesome Texas hill country.  Ohh  yeah, right down the road, SA...San Antonio, the true capital of Texas....you know the place with the Alamo!  I won't mention the best food on the planet...Tex-Mex and wonderful margaritas.

Back north, in Bagdad on the Bayou.....that'd be Houston, on the area around where Sam Houston and some wily Texans gained our independence at the Battle of San Jacinto sits the old WW1 restored BB museum,...yep you guessed it, USS Texas.  I believe it pounded some beaches in Normandy with 14 inchers way back in 44.

And finally...well maybe, not sure, since Ike's visit, but there was a restored WW2 sub near the ferry that used go from Galveston to Crystal Beach.  That status is surely uncertain, better check before you go.

Ohhh and like the song says...."the friendliest people and the prettiest women you'll ever meet."   Just come on home with the Armadillo.

(in reply to Anendrue)
Post #: 57
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 1/23/2009 2:12:46 AM   
Whisper

There is a lot of different Americas to see. One America is where this nation here came from and that's in the East. Lexington, concord, saratoga, ticonderoga, and williamsburg, newport, boston, philly, gettysburg, antietam, manassas, and all that.

Another America is the unique geography and culture. I like SW best for that. Painted desert, Navajo towns around Las Cruces, Arizona, New Mexico. Somebody could make a good case for Montana, Dakotas, and there's always yellowstone.

New Orleans ain't much no more, but we still got crawfish and gumbo in LA (and that ain't los angeles) and we are unique too.

< Message edited by Whisper -- 1/23/2009 2:15:50 AM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 58
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 4/6/2009 4:09:50 PM   
doomtrader

Just to refresh this thread.
Exchange rates don't look promising but I didn't resign (yet) and it looks like we will choose Southwest.

(in reply to Whisper)
Post #: 59
RE: What is worth to see in US for average European - 4/6/2009 5:05:58 PM   
rickier65

quote:

Just to refresh this thread.
Exchange rates don't look promising but I didn't resign (yet) and it looks like we will choose Southwest.

You can get some good deals on lodging in Las Vegas now, but be prepared for the heat.

Rick

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: What is worth to see in US for average European Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI