Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/18/2009 7:43:06 PM   
Yogi the Great

Got the game, enjoy it But,

I'm tired of the repetition, playing Germans, battle ends due to American Morale and retreat says I took over entire area, then I get to fight the same battle over and over instead of being able to move to new areas. It's like a one day offensive and then defense as usually it says Americans's attack before each battle or battle continues.

Also, early in the game, first and second days the Americans on full offensive with lareg numbers of tanks?

I guess I don't get it or some sort of bug is not allowing the game to advance.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Post #: 1
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/18/2009 8:01:32 PM   
Andrew Williams

You are certainly doing something wrong.

Americans don't have large numbers of tanks in the early days.

If one side retreats you own the map and can move on to the next... not fight again on the same map.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 2
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/19/2009 2:26:08 PM   
Yogi the Great

I posted similar under tech advice, it is possible that because I checked end battle when morale gets too low, that is part of the problem, as it often ends before you actually take all the positions.

Not sure what I could be doing wrong on the tanks, just playing the standard 15 day campaign.  I was wondering if Patton made it even quicker, (Like a variable condition) but just made no sense to me at all.  But when I see
about 9-10 shermans show up early in the bulge, and then again as the same battle is repeated, made me wonder.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 3
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/19/2009 7:13:41 PM   
Svend Karlson

Can you post a few screens to illustrate what is happening Yogi?

From what you have described, it sounds a little like:

> As the Germans you attacked an area and the US battlegroup retreated
> The US battlegroup then attacked the same area on it's strategic movement turn, forcing to to defend
> Shermans you knocked out in the first battle, if any, are replaced from the US battlegroup's reserves

I have only played 2 days into the grand campaign, as the Germans, but what I describe above does occur, albeit that I have never had a message indicating that a battle ended due to morale getting too low so my experience of this is based on the strategic movement of new US battlegroups rather than ones I had already fought against. I didn't check the box for that, since the manual set it was on by default and if you checked it that turned it off.

Post #: 4
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/19/2009 8:16:11 PM   
Pzt_Serk

Regarding the tanks, US have two armored battlegroups close to the frontline at start of the gc. The AI will usually send them at the front as soon at it can so this is probably what you are refering to. As for replaying the same battles, are you sure you are facing the same ennemy battle group or is it the US armored bgs counter attacking the front?

There is also a rule about battlegroups speed, so a faster bg (armored for exemple)moving in a map owned by a slower bg (infantry bg) will transport the battle in that map and not the other way around, so preventing the slower bg of moving foward.

(in reply to Svend Karlson)
Post #: 5
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/22/2009 2:28:17 PM   
Yogi the Great

Unfortunately, I guess I will just write off the 16 day campaign for now as not worth the effort.

I turned off the morale loss ending, on "first round" 2 battle continues for failure to take all locations, but then after another round in those areas took all areas, showed as axis control and colored red on the campaign debrief map.  Then the Americans started attacking again, and being given back locations I already took, so I had to fight again in the same areas I already had.  Souith Eifel, here game the 8 American tanks, got lucky with panerkriegs took out six, again contolled all locations but one.  Next turn same area, 8 tanks again and on it will go.  Was enjoying the game but now just frustration and boredom having to fight the same thing over and over. Other areas the same, take everything, but then right back for another round having to take back control, just to have control given back to the Americans so I can do it all over again.

I guess I will try some battles and operations and maybe the 25 day campaign to see if that will work.  I first tried the 16 day as Americans twice, Similar results I switched to Germans after they couldn't get control of any areas from my American defense.  So the 15 day campaign seems useless to play no matter what side I take. Only other question I have is if my save games are causing the problem. I usually save right after I am declared to have total victory.

Echoing some other complaints on the forum, it also gets a little tiring that the AI so easily gets off shots and destroys your tanks and guns, while yours apparentlly even are in constant hesitation to fire mode even when set to defend or having targeted a victim.
Always fun too after a battle ends because of time just before you take the last objective and virtually the entire enemy force is destroyed. When you go abck to finish (battle continues) suddenly the enemy is once again a full strength and near several objectives that you cleared the area out totally the last battle.

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 1/22/2009 5:12:48 PM >

(in reply to Pzt_Serk)
Post #: 6
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/22/2009 6:05:51 PM   
TheReal_Pak40

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great

I turned off the morale loss ending, on "first round" 2 battle continues for failure to take all locations, but then after another round in those areas took all areas, showed as axis control and colored red on the campaign debrief map.  Then the Americans started attacking again, and being given back locations I already took, so I had to fight again in the same areas I already had.  Souith Eifel, here game the 8 American tanks, got lucky with panerkriegs took out six, again contolled all locations but one.  Next turn same area, 8 tanks again and on it will go.  Was enjoying the game but now just frustration and boredom having to fight the same thing over and over. Other areas the same, take everything, but then right back for another round having to take back control, just to have control given back to the Americans so I can do it all over again.

It sounds like you're not moving your Battlegroup forward once you "win" a map. Or, the other possibility is that you are moving your Infantry BG forward on the Strategic map but a faster Enemy BG is moving into yours, in which case the faster unit forces you to replay that same map. This is shown on the the strategic map after the movement phase, I think it's called "results of movement".

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yogi the Great
Always fun too after a battle ends because of time just before you take the last objective and virtually the entire enemy force is destroyed. When you go abck to finish (battle continues) suddenly the enemy is once again a full strength and near several objectives that you cleared the area out totally the last battle.

The enemy is "suddenly" once again full because he has a force pool for every BG just like your BGs do. If you want you can increase the time of the battles but I feel compelled to warn you that you may be forced to play an entire battle when your enemy is on the offensive. In other words, there are times when the attacking AI is hesitant to move his units forward. If the battle time is set to 1 hour then you might very well be waiting that entire hour for the enemy to even move.

Post #: 7
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/22/2009 6:58:41 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheReal_Pak40

It sounds like you're not moving your Battlegroup forward once you "win" a map. Or, the other possibility is that you are moving your Infantry BG forward on the Strategic map but a faster Enemy BG is moving into yours, in which case the faster unit forces you to replay that same map. This is shown on the the strategic map after the movement phase, I think it's called "results of movement".

Thanks for the reply, maybe I'm missing something, I thought the "Battlegroup forward move" was more or less automatic (I understand the faster BG answer). I just keep hitting Next until the battle appears. Seems to work for all the first day battles. I take it that I need to select the next area by your comment? (Click on it?)

If so, shame on me

< Message edited by Yogi the Great -- 1/22/2009 7:01:09 PM >

(in reply to TheReal_Pak40)
Post #: 8
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/22/2009 9:40:13 PM   
Andrew Williams

click on your BG and drag it to where you want to move to... you will see a green arrow appear indicating the move order was successful.

Read the manual.

Post #: 9
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/22/2009 9:43:32 PM   
Andrew Williams

Day 8 playing as Germans.

I've reached the meuse but have over extended my supply lines.

I should have been more cautious on day 6 or so.

Now I have to decide whether to drop back with my spearhead... or to drive my follow up forces harder.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 10
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/22/2009 10:24:19 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: Andrew Williams

Read the manual.

That sounds like an awful drastic action

I know, I know tried to make light of it on my last post. I have the original CC Bulge and CC Bridge to Far, (haven't played in a couple of years of course) thought I would be able to jump right in. So much for my over confidence!

Post #: 11
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/22/2009 10:28:53 PM   
TheReal_Pak40

To add a little bit to what Andrew has said:

The BGs do not move forward on their own! Where's the strategic fun in that? You have to select and move the BG to an adjacent battle map. You have strategic choices to make because not all maps allow you to move to all adjacent maps. There are bottle necks to consider etc...

Tip: when you click and hold a battle group, the available moving options will highlight. Also, in the manual they list where you can find a jpg or pdf of the entire Strategy map which shows the available movement routes.

Yes, just take the little bit of time to read the manual, especially the chapter about the strategic aspect of the game.

Post #: 12
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/23/2009 7:04:43 AM   
Perturabo

Battlegroups moving and fighting on their own would be awesome if player could choose one part of battlegroup and command it during whole campaign.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to TheReal_Pak40)
Post #: 13
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/23/2009 10:49:51 AM   
Platoon_Michael

quote:

I've reached the meuse but have over extended my supply lines

Can you explain that a little more?
In CCIV it seemed that as long as you had a route open to your BG it got supply.
It looks like tou have that covered from the middle of the Bulge

Post #: 14
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/23/2009 6:53:19 PM   
Andrew Williams

The big green area is allied controlled.

They have cut off my supply to my forces in the west (red checkered)

(in reply to Platoon_Michael)
Post #: 15
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/23/2009 9:07:23 PM   
Platoon_Michael

Duh Ahh is it too late to retract my earlier post?

Post #: 16
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/24/2009 2:18:22 AM   
Tejszd

You do make a good point/suggestion, the distance (the number of maps) that the supply has to go through should affect the amount of supply reaching a BG. Right now as long as there is any uncontested route from a BG to a supply depot the supplies reach the BG....

< Message edited by Tejszd -- 1/24/2009 2:22:52 AM >

(in reply to Platoon_Michael)
Post #: 17
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/24/2009 3:03:23 AM   
Andrew Williams

Oh... maybe if you had to cross all of europe... But anything less than 500miles wouldn't matter.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 18
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/24/2009 9:38:11 AM   
advo

I have while only one essential remark. Looking at a strategic card it is impossible to understand precisely, what provinces are connected among themselves. For this reason it is very complex to plan actions for some day forward and it is complex to understand what provinces are the most important.
To make a strategic card more accessible to planning actions it is necessary to put atop of a card connecting lines between provinces. It is possible to make such connecting lines an included option (pressing of the button).

< Message edited by advo -- 1/24/2009 9:39:43 AM >

Post #: 19
RE: Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? - 1/24/2009 10:54:44 AM   
Andrew Williams

Print out  WaR_strat_Connections.pdf

C:\Matrix Games\Close Combat Wacht am Rhein\Support\WaR_strat_Connections.pdf

(in reply to advo)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Question, Just a Poor Game or is there a Bug? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI