Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Recommend Good PBEM Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Recommend Good PBEM Game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Recommend Good PBEM Game - 1/22/2009 11:10:58 PM   
Rhizy

Hi,

I'm interested in playing something of a Grand Strategy PBEM game. I'm currently considering Birth of America 2 or GGWBTS. Basically if I play a turn a day how long would it take me to complete these games - any other recommendations? I recently purchased WitP - but looking for something somewhat less massive/monster I guess you would say. Basically I want to play a turn a day, a few more over weekends, and be able to get through a few games in a reasonable time-frame.

Any other titles I should consider. I'm also playing and enjoying BOTA. But am looking for something more grand strategy for PBEM fun.

< Message edited by Rhizzy -- 1/23/2009 12:57:00 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Recommend Good PBEM Game - 1/23/2009 12:28:12 AM   
2ndACR

WITP.........oops, you did not want a monster game.

(in reply to Rhizy)
Post #: 2
RE: Recommend Good PBEM Game - 1/23/2009 12:50:09 AM   
Rhizy

I actually purchased WITP and have been playing through it with AI - but finding it somewhat daunting. Looking for something a little more approachable to enjoy a few PBEMs - I do like complexity - but WITP - well that's a whole new level of complexity. Well let's say more I like complex - a game as deceptively simply as GO is actually deep and complex - but doesn't have the complexity of crazy micromanagement. I don't mind micro to an extent, of course it is necessary, but wow WiTP takes Micro to a whole new level! I have twin three year old girls, work and family commitments etc - so basically have an hour or so each evening in which to kick back and play - am looking for a Grand Strategy title that I can reasonably play in that time commitment - and get through a game or two in a reasonable time-frame.

I don't mind investing time in a game to learn the system etc. Just not the incredibly steep curve that something like WiTP has.

< Message edited by Rhizzy -- 1/23/2009 12:58:53 AM >

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 3
RE: Recommend Good PBEM Game - 1/23/2009 1:03:25 AM   
2ndACR

Just takes getting used to.......my average grand campaign PBEM turn takes roughly 30 minutes to complete with about 2-3 "admin" turns at 1-2 hours per game month.

Once you set alot of things in motion, well it takes sometimes a week or more just to get close to the action, so those turns are super fast. Alot of us have currently or have had multiple PBEM games going.

I have 2 teens, wife and job that can keep me busy for 60+ hours per week, nice thing, you can almost always find another player with the same type of schedule. Just find someone that expects just 1 turn per day with more or less some days or try the multi day turns........those turns can take longer, but game time progress's faster.

Just saying, hate seeing new players get the jitters......

(in reply to Rhizy)
Post #: 4
RE: Recommend Good PBEM Game - 1/23/2009 2:25:52 AM   
sabre1

1. Gary Grigsby World at War: World Divided
2. Commander Europe at War
3. Crown of Glory
4. Forge of Freedom
5. WW2 Road to Victory
6. Ageod's American Civil War
7. Ageod's WWI, (maybe not prime time yet)
8. Commander Napoleon at War
9. Uncommon Valor (WITP lite)
10. War in Russia (free)
11. Pacific War (free)
12. TOAW (there are some monster scenarios in that one)
13. Advanced Tactics (monster scenarios in that one too)

The list just goes on and on, and that's just for Matrix games.

(in reply to 2ndACR)
Post #: 5
RE: Recommend Good PBEM Game - 1/23/2009 5:13:10 AM   
thegreatwent

WitP really has been my favorite for the last few years. TAOW would be number 2 but I haven't played it in months since I got stomped at Anzio

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 6
RE: Recommend Good PBEM Game - 1/23/2009 5:31:50 AM   
balsampear

SSG s Battles In Italy/Battlefront/Kharkov

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 7
RE: Recommend Good PBEM Game - 1/23/2009 7:18:39 AM   
JeffroK

War in the Pacific, but be prepared to lose any spare time, and hair and any sanity thats left.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to balsampear)
Post #: 8
RE: Recommend Good PBEM Game - 1/23/2009 11:55:58 AM   
invernomuto

TOAW3: difficult game, but there are some great small/medium scenarios that are fast for PBEM.
GGWAW AWD

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 9
RE: Recommend Good PBEM Game - 1/23/2009 1:39:43 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhizzy
I'm interested in playing something of a Grand Strategy PBEM game. I'm currently considering Birth of America 2 or GGWBTS. Basically if I play a turn a day how long would it take me to complete these games - any other recommendations?

Both of those are excellent choices, IMHO. I haven't played through BOA2 via PBEM but it has a variety of smaller scenarios too which would not take too long to PBEM. When I played WBTS via PBEM it generally took about a month to six weeks to finish the entire war, assuming a couple of turns a day.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Rhizy)
Post #: 10
RE: Recommend Good PBEM Game - 1/23/2009 9:27:28 PM   
Rhizy

Thanks Erik. I read through your AAR for WBTS last night and that has convinced me to give it a try - month to six weeks sounds good. It means you can then get thorugh a few games and learn from your mistakes, try it from the other side etc. From reading reports on here sounds like it can be somewhat challenging and confusing initially though so might need to give it some time to gain a sense of how the system hangs together.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: Recommend Good PBEM Game - 1/24/2009 12:32:17 AM   
JD63

Have you tried the original Birth of America? I suppose it may be more difficult to find a PBEM opponent as it has been "superceded". The price is right.

(in reply to Rhizy)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Recommend Good PBEM Game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI