Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Rafts for infantry in River crossings in Custom maps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Rafts for infantry in River crossings in Custom maps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rafts for infantry in River crossings in Custom maps - 5/2/2002 10:07:11 PM   
Check Mate

Last weekend a friend and I was playing a hot-seat battle.

We were playing in a Custom map with a wide river (North-South). Battle is a Soviet advance vs. German Delay. I was surprised that my infantry didn’t carry any raft.
After some experiments we realize that we need to set an assault and set Mayor Water option in order that our infantry had rafts for a river crossing.
The problem is that we like to play and advance in a custom map.
Is there any tricking to have rafts for the infantry in a custom map advance? Or at least in an assault on a custom map?
Tanks
Post #: 1
Custom Rafts? - 5/2/2002 11:51:01 PM   
RockinHarry

I also played with these ideas some time ago and found the problem is the rafts are non loadable due to 255 load cost. A tweak in the OOB (at least in ONE natiions OOB) should do the trick. Another issue is, once the rafts are used by infantry, they are permanently absorbed or even disappear completely. This editing is somthing that might cause othe side-problems, but I´ve not yet fully explored the rafts issue.

I forgot to mention that you can only do these things in scenario editor and not in make Battle screen. Usually you can buy some snipers, load them onto a truck and then with sniper accessed with "n" key, change unit to raft with "R" key function while it´s still loaded!!

Keep trying and post your results here.:)

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to Check Mate)
Post #: 2
- 5/3/2002 1:32:35 AM   
Warrior

When you make your map, put in a stream then change it to a wide river. Keep or delete the river as you like. Troops then deployed on the map will have rafts.

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to Check Mate)
Post #: 3
Frozen Rivers - 5/3/2002 2:44:52 AM   
Capt. Pixel

I've found that if you DON't select Assault with a river (or beach) and your custom map displays a river, you can drive right over the river as if it weren't there (or frozen over).

It appears to me that if you want an 'active' river, you're only going to get it in an Assault w/ river setup. :rolleyes:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Check Mate)
Post #: 4
Re: Frozen Rivers - 5/5/2002 9:04:20 PM   
RockinHarry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Capt. Pixel
[B]I've found that if you DON't select Assault with a river (or beach) and your custom map displays a river, you can drive right over the river as if it weren't there (or frozen over).
[/B][/QUOTE]

What does the map info box say when hovering the mouse cursor over the "river" hexes?? If it´s "shallow water -1" then you can drive through, with danger of vehicles get "flood out" though. Only "water" or "deep water" hexes are impassable without a bridge, no matter if it´s a lake, or a 1~x wide river!

_________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to Check Mate)
Post #: 5
Further Investigation - 5/6/2002 2:07:50 AM   
Capt. Pixel

After looking over several custom maps and running Scout cars all over the river banks -

You can cross any body of water that's defined as 'Shallow water'.
Depth (-1, -2, -3) appears irrelevant. If the hex is defined as 'Water' or 'Deep water' - then you need to find another way across (or around).

I checked these maps with both Meeting and Assault engagements, with water options both On and Off.

Apparently the map that caused me to make my previous comment must have been created with all 'Shallow water' river hexes. :rolleyes:

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Check Mate)
Post #: 6
- 5/6/2002 3:18:48 AM   
TotenkopfZZ

In one game recently, I had German VG who would throw their raft in the water but then not "get in" themselves. What is worse, is that the rafts could then be moved all over the map without restriction (except I could not get them back across the water) and would reveal enemy units with no reaction from them. It was the invasion of the incredible recon dingys!

Also, how can we define a frozen river when making a map? The above game was in the middle of winter 1944 and the water was not frozen.

(in reply to Check Mate)
Post #: 7
- 5/7/2002 9:24:21 PM   
RockinHarry

I once found some workable solution for "Ice" rivers, but I´ve not used it for a scenario yet. Only a test map was made and I did the stuff as usual with Freds Editor.

For those interested..

Attachment (1)

RockinHarry in the web:

(in reply to Check Mate)
Post #: 8
- 5/7/2002 10:40:55 PM   
WhiteRook

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TotenkopfZZ
[B]In one game recently, I had German VG who would throw their raft in the water but then not "get in" themselves. What is worse, is that the rafts could then be moved all over the map without restriction (except I could not get them back across the water) and would reveal enemy units with no reaction from them. It was the invasion of the incredible recon dingys!

[SIZE=4]Eureka - Stelth Rafts!! [/SIZE] :D :D :D

(in reply to Check Mate)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Rafts for infantry in River crossings in Custom maps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI