Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/18/2009 4:11:10 PM   
BB57

Happy Birthday

BTW Old is someone that is 20 years older than you are whatever your age.

Keep up the great work.

Just noticed another milestone 200,000+ hits!!!

< Message edited by BB57 -- 1/18/2009 4:17:02 PM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4081
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/18/2009 6:09:33 PM   
Marc gto

well put :)

(in reply to BB57)
Post #: 4082
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/18/2009 6:43:03 PM   
John 3rd

CF--You have passed 200,000 hits!  Wow.  I was excited when mine passed 50,000 but 200K--Damn...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 4083
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/18/2009 9:31:40 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 2, 1945

Course: None
Attached to: Disbanded in port
Mission: None
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 475

Orders: None

---

Torpedoman Chuyo looks out the window of his comfortable room onto a pine-clad mountainside. He is in a situation many would envy; a private room, excellent food, a relaxing and pleasant atmosphere, and plenty of attractive female nurses. Yet he has spent the past week trying to do nothing but get out of the sanatorium at the base of Mount Fuji and return to Hibiki.

There is a polite tap at the door and he crosses to it and opens it. Doctor Yamada bows politely and asks to be admitted, and Chuyo steps aside to let him in.

“And how are you today, Mr. Chuyo?” Yamada asks as he comes in.

“Fine, thank you, I am fine,” says Chuyo. “Look!” He holds up his hands and points his two index fingers at one another, then brings them together so that the tips touch. He does it smoothly and his hands do not tremble. It hasn’t always been this easy; when he first got here, several months ago, he could not manage to make his fingertips meet at all.

Doctor Yamada beams. “Excellent!” he says. “Your progress lately has been remarkable. I venture to say you are nearly cured.”

“I am!” says Chuyo. “And since that is the case, may I please be released to return to my ship?”

Doctor Yamada sighs. He picks up Chuyo’s chart and looks at it, then sets it back down.

“I fear I cannot grant your request,” he says reluctantly. He listens patiently to Chuyo’s protests, then speaks again. “Come with me, please,” he says.

Curious, Chuyo follows him out into the corridor. Doctor Yamada leads him to another wing of the facility. Once there they proceed to the entrance of one of the larger wards. Yamada pushes open the swinging door and motions for Chuyo to preceed him inside.

The last time Chuyo was here only three or four of the perhaps forty beds were occupied. Today all of them are full, and all the occupants are young men. All of the ones Chuyo can see are showing the same symptoms Chuyo himself displayed when he first came here – shaking and lack of motor control. Yamada comes and stands beside him.

“All of them are pilots,” says Yamada grimly. “The doctor aboard your ship was correct – the chemicals used in the new cleaning process for the pilot’s uniforms is what made you sick, and what has stricken them. We are now getting dozens of new cases every day. At this rate one third of Japan’s pilots will be unable to fly within two weeks.”

“But that – that is a catastrophe!” says Chuyo. Doctor Yamada nods grimly.

“So far,” he says, “you are one of the few to recover. We are not keeping you here because you are sick, Seaman Chuyo. We are keeping you here because we desperately need to find out why you got well.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4084
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/20/2009 7:28:30 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 3, 1945

---

It is early afternoon. Lieutenants Kuwaki and Sugiyura are on their way back to the ship after a visit to Kuwaki’s parents and grandfather, who live in the north part of the city. It is a long walk but not a difficult one for the two men.

Their path at one point takes them past a school. As they pass a large number of girls are outside, under the watchful eye of their teachers, practicing an air raid drill. The girls, who Kuwaki judges to be eight or nine years old, are organized in long lines and passing buckets back and forth from the lone pump outside. All are in their school uniforms and look quite serious as they practice. There is very little giggling or talking. Off around one side of the building older children are putting the finishing touches on a series of slit trenches. The two men stop to watch for a moment.

Sugiyura smiles. “They are doing splendidly,” he says to Kuwaki. “Good organization! Look at those lines, I’ve seen recruits with less precision.”

Kuwaki looks around at the narrow, crowded streets lined with wooden buildings. “One incendiary bomb here and none of them would have a chance,” he says grimly. Sugiyura follows his gaze.

“You are probably right,” he says with less enthusiasm. “But still, they are trying. It is good to see such dedication, even from the children.”

“It would be good to see them studying math and letters and playing together,” says Kuwaki. “Keeping them safe is supposed to be our job.”

“It is everyone’s job now,” says Sugiyura. “It has to be, if we are to survive as a people. I wish it wasn’t that way too, Kuwaki, but this war won’t spare them just because they are children.” The children, now mindful of the two naval officers watching them, pick up their pace a little bit.

Kuwaki does not disagree but he is still bothered by what he is seeing. The two men watch for a moment longer and then continue on their way back to the ship.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4085
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/21/2009 1:29:46 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Kuwaki looks around at the narrow, crowded streets lined with wooden buildings. “One incendiary bomb here and none of them would have a chance,” he says grimly. Sugiyura follows his gaze.

An ominous forecast. And it won't be too much longer until the airbases in the Bonins are ready . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4086
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/21/2009 5:55:34 AM   
Hornblower

once again, well done

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4087
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/21/2009 6:53:17 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 4, 1945

---

After two months of brutal combat on Iwo Jima American troops now control the southern two thirds of the island. The airfields, at last free from the threats of Japanese shelling and attack, are declared secure and serious efforts begin to repair them and put them into operation on the Allied side.

The battle is far from over, however. It will take almost two more months of hard fighting before the last defenders of Iwo Jima are finally eliminated.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4088
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/21/2009 6:55:19 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 5, 1945

---

"Who will be the new Prime Minister?" says Lieutenant Sugiyura. Tojo's government, battered by the impending defeat at Iwo Jima, has at last fallen. News has just reached the ship that Tojo tendered his resignation earlier in the day and speculation is rife about who the Emperor will ask to form the new government.

"I don't know," says Lieutenant Miharu. The executive officer is widely regarded as the most politically savvy man aboard. "I personally hope Admiral Yonai will be chosen, but I imagine that the Army would see him as a potential Badoglio." The name of the Italian Prime Minister who signed an armistice with the Allies has become a noun in Japan, applied by hard-liners to anyone who would seek peace with the enemy rather than fight to the end.

"Yonai is an admiral in the Imperial Japanese Navy!" exclaims Sugiyura. "He would never give up, not while any chance of victory remains!" Lieutenant Miharu looks at Sugiyura for a moment, perhaps weighing the wisdom of honestly discussing Japan's chances of victory with him. In the end he simply shrugs.

"I agree," he says. "Well, we will have to see what happens. I would love to be a fly upon the wall in the Imperial Palace right now."

---

"He will see you now," says Kido, the Privy Seal. Yonai stands and adjusts the jacket of his uniform.

"You have told him that I will not accept?" says Yonai. Kido simply inclines his head slightly.

"Come," is all he says. He opens the door and announces Yonai, then ushers the admiral into the audience chamber. Seated on his throne, looking over some papers, is the Emperor. He is wearing a dress coat and striped trousers. As Yonai approaches and bows deeply Hirohito sets aside the papers.

"It is the belief of many in the military that the enemy will strike next at Okinawa or the Philippines," the Emperor says in his high-pitched voice. "They think that this is where the decisive battle will occur. Is this also your belief, Admiral Yonai?"

"Yes, Your Majesty, it is," says Yonai. The question seems to have left him a little off-balance.

"Do you think Japan will win this battle?" says Hirohito.

"Your Majesty, I…I think that yes, there is a chance we can win." The Emperor just looks at him for a moment.

"It seems to me that we have made many plans in this war," he says finally, "but there is often a gap between the plans we make and the execution of them."

"Your Majesty, the Imperial Forces are doing their utmost to bring this war to a successful conclusion," says Yonai somewhat weakly.

“Yes,” says Hirohito rather ambiguously. He then changes the subject. “I am told you have reservations about my request.”

“I have doubts the Army would accept me, Your Majesty,” says Yonai. “I believe that I can best serve Japan in my current post.” Yonai is currently the Naval Minister.

“The current situation is a difficult one,” says the Emperor. “It may become necessary to consider many different paths. Who in your view possesses the necessary qualities to form a new government?”

Yonai blinks. He understands what the Emperor is suggesting and is staggered by it. “I…I do not know, Your Majesty,” he says.

“Please think upon it,” says Hirohito.

“I shall,” says Yonai. The Emperor nods, indicating the interview is at an end. Yonai bows deeply once again and leaves the throne room. Kido does not ask any questions about the interview but instead politely sees him out of the palace.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4089
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/21/2009 10:34:42 PM   
Marc gto

Could the end be near???

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4090
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/22/2009 3:13:13 PM   
kaleun

I believe auto victory checks happen on Jan 1st.
Am I wrong?

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 4091
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/22/2009 8:26:03 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Could the end be near???

We've been told that 1945 will be Hibiki's hardest year yet. My guess is there will be at least two more major defeats (as a possible example, the fall of Rangoon), plus some serious bombing of the Japanese Home Islands.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 4092
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/22/2009 9:45:17 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Could the end be near???

We've been told that 1945 will be Hibiki's hardest year yet. My guess is there will be at least two more major defeats (as a possible example, the fall of Rangoon), plus some serious bombing of the Japanese Home Islands.

I don't think it's giving too much away to say that the war will not end any time soon.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4093
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/22/2009 9:47:36 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 6, 1945

---

“The Navy’s prestige has risen since the battle at Iwo Jima,” says Captain Ishii, “but I do not think it is high enough to push Yonai through as Prime Minister.” Hibiki’s captain and his officers are talking about the rumors coming out of Tokyo regarding who will be the next prime minister.

“The Army will want one of their own, preferably a hard-liner who would entertain no thoughts of ending the war,” comments Lieutenant Miharu. “I have heard many favor General Hisaichi.” Hisaichi, well known as a hard-liner, is currently in overall command of Japanese forces in Southeast Asia.

“But surely even the Army must accept Yonai if that is the Emperor’s wish?” says Lieutenant Kuwaki.

“Yes, I think they would,” says Lieutenant Miharu. “But that would involve the Emperor making his wishes explicitly clear. Tradition makes this unlikely. And don’t forget that the War Minister can dissolve any cabinet the new prime minister forms simply by resigning.”

“But the war has reached a crisis!” Lieutenant Sugiyura bursts out. “Who can think of playing at politics at such a time? Surely the wishes of the Emperor and the good of Japan must be paramount in the minds of everybody!” A short silence greets this rather idealistic outburst.

“That is how it should be, Sugiyura,” says Ishii after a moment. “And this is a good time to remind all of you of something you have heard me say before: we are officers in the Imperial Japanese Navy. Our job is to follow orders and to fight. Politics and statesmanship are the tasks of others.” He pauses. “Not that this will stop you and I and every sailor aboard this ship from talking about it and having opinions,” he adds wryly.

“Sailors talk about politics almost as much as they talk about women,” observes Sakati, entering the conversation for the first time. “And in similar ways. Though it’s more likely that politicians will scr…”

“Thank you, Sakati,” says Captain Ishii hastily. “I think we get the idea.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4094
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/23/2009 2:49:31 AM   
Alikchi2

It must be hard NOT to speculate, sitting in port so close to the centers of power.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4095
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/23/2009 7:12:37 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 7, 1945

---

Riku stands on a pier waiting for a boat from Hibiki to come and collect him. At his feet are a couple of crates, the result of a successful morning’s trading with the crew of heavy cruiser Tone. They contain dried squid, a commodity requested by the ship’s cooks. Squid is considered a treat by the crew and the cooks like it because it takes so much effort to chew the men tend to think they’ve been fed more than they really have.

An officer comes down the pier and approaches him. Riku turns and salutes as he draws near. With mild alarm he notes that the officer is one he knows: Captain Shimura of the Tokeitai.

“Seaman Ariga,” says Shimura. “I am pleased you are back in Osaka. I have been wishing to speak with you.” Riku’s mind races through a list of possible offenses, past and present, and wonders what might have caught up with him this time.

“Relax,” says Shimura, as though reading his thoughts. “You are not in trouble. Quite the contrary, actually. I wish to offer you a promotion.”

“Sir?” says Riku. His past dealings with Shimura have mostly ended well but he can’t imagine why an officer in the naval equivalent of the kempeitai wants to offer him anything, much less a promotion.

“At ease,” says Shimura genially. He pulls up one of the crates and sits on it, gesturing for Riku to use the other one. He does so.

“These are difficult times for Japan,” Shimura begins when they are both settled. “We are beset by enemies both within and without. The enemies within – communists, pacifists, traitors, those who would sap our resolve by speaking of surrender – are more subtle and in their way even more dangerous to Japan. Catching them requires vigilance, subtlety, and cleverness.

“I have reason to believe that you possess all these qualities and more,” says Shimura. “You are well connected. You are – and I mean this as a compliment – one of the most naturally gifted liars I have ever met. You are highly intelligent. You understand people and what motivates them. You would make a superb addition to the Tokeitai.”

“You give me far too much credit,” says Riku modestly. He is trying to buy time to think. He knows that Shimura could pull strings and simply have him transferred, rendering this interview unnecessary. But he also knows that Shimura is reasonably clever, for an officer, and he obviously appreciates that a willing recruit is far more valuable to him than someone unwillingly dragooned into the position.

“Oh, I don’t think so,” says Shimura with a chuckle. “I have seen what happens to those who underestimate you. I think it is a grave oversight, in fact, that you have not been elevated to petty officer. We can rectify that immediately. And for someone with your gifts I would say a field commission is not impossible.”

Riku knows very well why he has not been promoted, though Lieutenant Miharu has never spoken to him about it. For one thing he is still doing penance for certain acts in his past. And for another there are some, unaware of the true story, who might see it as favoritism towards the man who married Chief Shun’s daughter. Riku has no problem with this and even sees it as fair.

What he does have a problem with is joining the Tokeitai. He thinks of things he has seen in Japan’s POW camps and represses a shudder.

In a flash of insight he realizes that Hibiki is his home, far more than his parent’s house ever was. Someday, after the war, he and Nanami will make a home. But for now the slightly battered and aging destroyer is where he belongs. The problem, of course, is to convince Lieutenant Shimura of this. He has no doubts that if he simply refuses Shimura will have the orders drawn up anyway.

“Your offer is a generous one, sir,” says Riku. “May I have a day to consider it?” He would like to ask for more time but judges that Shimura might become suspicious were he to do so.

“Of course,” says Shimura. “It is always best to consider a situation from all angles. Just do not take too much time. Call on me at Tokeitai headquarters to let me know your decision.”

“I will, sir, and thank you,” says Riku. To his relief he spies Hibiki’s boat approaching. Shimura sees it too and stands to leave. Riku of course also stands.

Shimura takes a few steps away and then turns. “Oh, by the way, Ariga,” he says. “Congratulations on your recent marriage. Your wife is on Okinawa, I believe?”

“Thank you, sir, and yes she is,” says Riku.

“That is perhaps no longer as safe a place as it used to be,” says Shimura. “As a member of the Tokeitai you would be in a better position to do something about that.” He nods and then departs, leaving Riku to stare after him in dismay.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4096
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/23/2009 7:23:39 PM   
Mike Solli

"But he also knows that Shimura is reasonably clever, for an officer..."

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4097
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/23/2009 9:59:09 PM   
Feinder

quote:

“That is perhaps no longer as safe a place as it used to be,” says Shimura. “As a member of the Tokeitai you would be in a better position to do something about that.” He nods and then departs, leaving Riku to stare after him in dismay.

Bingo.

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 4098
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/24/2009 3:11:42 PM   
princep01

Shimura's parting shot is a telling one, but Riku is easily clever enough to both graciously decline the offer and remove his wife and Shun's mother from the danger of Allied invasion.  A well written segment representing those real life dilemas that warfare brings and leaves crying at our doorstep.

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 4099
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/27/2009 4:46:08 AM   
bradfordkay

We can't let Small Ship, Big War fall off the front page! 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 4100
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/28/2009 4:06:21 PM   
mdiehl

Bumpage.

We are all awaiting our next installment in the serial, Cuttlefish.

Hellooooo.....

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 4101
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/28/2009 4:46:42 PM   
Marc gto

lol yes we are

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 4102
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/28/2009 5:31:26 PM   
Cuttlefish

I apologize for the delay. I chose this past weekend to begin fulfilling a pledge I made to myself to quit smoking when I turned 50. So far I've been successful but it has been a difficult past few days.

I feel better this morning, however, and my ability to concentrate is at least partly restored, so with luck I will have a post or two up later today.

---

On another note, "Small Ship" just passed its second anniversary. I did not imagine when I started this as an odd little experiment two years ago that I would still be writing it today. And we aren't done yet!

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 4103
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/28/2009 5:57:13 PM   
kaleun

Congratulations on quitting, I know it is hard.
Just so long as you don't quit drinking!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4104
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/28/2009 7:12:01 PM   
Marc gto

amen

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 4105
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/28/2009 7:23:40 PM   
Dave3L

Looks like I picked a bad week to quit sniffing glue.....

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 4106
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/28/2009 10:29:38 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 8, 1945

---

Riku considers the problem Captain Shimura has left him with from several possible angles. In the end he decides that if he is going to fight the Imperial Navy he is going to need the Imperial Navy’s help. He seeks out Lieutenant Miharu and tells him the tale.

Hibiki’s executive officer does not ask him if he has considered accepting the offer to join the Tokeitai. The two men have discussed their feelings about the military police before and are in fact co-conspirators in bribing the commander of a certain prison camp in the Yokohama area.

“Officially I can delay such a request,” he tells Riku. “And even once the process begins forms can be misfiled, signatures conveniently forgotten, that sort of thing. But in the end it will come down to who can pull the most strings. I suspect we will lose that fight.”

“Then what should I do, sir?” Riku asks. “I do not wish to leave Hibiki and I certainly do not want to join the Tokeitai!”

Lieutenant Miharu leans back in the single chair in his small cabin. “I am going to make a suggestion that you might find odd, Ariga,” he says. “It is going to sound strange but please consider it. Try being straightforward with him. I think it is your best chance.”

Riku blinks. “Sir?” he says. “I can’t just tell him what I think of that gang of thugs he works for.”

“No indeed,” says Lieutenant Miharu. “Be diplomatic. Convince him he doesn’t want you and don’t try to snow him, either. He’s too smart for that.”

“Yes, sir.”

“Good luck,” says the lieutenant. He stands to indicate the interview is over. “One more thing, Ariga. Captain Shimura may not be wrong about Okinawa, but have you talked to Chief Shun about that?”

“No sir, I have not,” says Riku.

“Do so,” says the lieutenant.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4107
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/29/2009 10:51:07 AM   
tocaff

Good luck and keep up the good work on not smoking.  I quit a million times and finally, years ago, for good.  I think that the key is to realize and never stop telling yourself this that your next butt is going to start you up again so don't have the next one, ever.  It gets easier and easier not to smoke with time.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4108
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/29/2009 8:13:37 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 9, 1945

---

“My mother will not leave her house,” Shun says. “My daughter will not leave her mother. There is really nothing further to discuss.”

Riku opens his mouth, then closes it again. He wonders if Nanami would leave if he ordered her to do so, but quickly realizes that he can’t put her through having to make that kind of choice. Shun turns away from the rail and looks out over the bay.

“Our traditions are old and very strong,” Shun says. “My mother was born in that cottage, in the year before the Japanese invasion. Generations of my family have lived there and died there. She won’t leave.” Shun half smiles. “I did try to convince her,” he says. “It did not go well.”

Riku bows his head in acknowledgement and hopes that his next conversation goes better than this one did.

---

Riku has no trouble in being admitted to see Shimura at Tokeitai headquarters; Shimura seems to have left word that Riku is expected. In very short order Riku finds himself seated across a desk from the Tokeitai officer.

“Thank you for coming,” says Captain Shimura. “I take it you have reached a decision?”

“It is good of you to receive me,” says Riku. “Yes, I have. Though your offer is a generous, more generous than I deserve, I fear I must decline.” Captain Shimura’s eyes narrow slightly.

“Indeed?” he says, his tone noticeably colder. “May I inquire why?”

“Sir,” says Riku, “you told me before that I had several qualities that the Tokeitai would find useful. I have decided, after considerable reflection, that I also lack several qualities that you would find necessary. I would be a sadly flawed tool, not at all deserving of serving within your ranks.”

“Oh?” says Captain Shimura. “With respect, I might be in a better position to judge what we need and what we don’t than you are. What qualities do you think you lack?”

“First of all, sir,” he says, “those of the Tokeitai must be visionaries, able to look beyond what is merely good to what is good for all. My own point of view, I fear, is hopelessly limited.

“Second, it pains me to reveal that I have an excitable nature. This means that since I lack the quiet, patient attitude serving with the Tokeitai requires I am fit only for front-line duty.

“Finally, sir,” Riku says, “I seem somehow unable to bring my full abilities to bear in situations where the odds favor me to any great extent. This regrettable weakness would seriously limit my effectiveness, I fear.”

Captain Shimura simply sits there for a moment, gazing levelly at Riku. Riku sits still, not betraying his nervousness. He wonders what Shimura truly thinks of the Tokeitai, how he views the actions of the organization for which he works.

After a long moment Shimura speaks. “It is regrettable,” he says. “I may in fact have been mistaken, Seaman Ariga. You might not be a suitable candidate after all.”

Riku ducks his head. “I apologize for having wasted your time, sir,” he says.

“Not at all,” says Shimura. “I found it…interesting. Good day, Ariga.” Riku rises and salutes, then leaves. Without further ado he finds himself outside, heading back to where he belongs. Back to Hibiki.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4109
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 1/29/2009 9:57:24 PM   
Cuttlefish

January 10, 1945

---

The chemical process used to clean pilot’s uniforms was slow to be discontinued. Even when early cases of the nerve disease it caused, cases such as Torpedoman Chuyo’s, seemed to point in its direction officials were slow to act. Face-saving and bureaucratic inertia delayed its discontinuation for weeks.

By January 1945 the process has not been used for a month but due to prior exposure the number of cases continues to develop. Almost overnight, it seems, Japan faces a major crisis as hundreds of expert pilots are knocked out of action. The scourge is especially bad among Army pilots in bases on the mainland but no unit or area is immune.

Japan’s ability to defend herself from an aerial assault has been crippled just as the Allied airbase on Iwo Jima becomes operational. The public is not informed of the problem but those in the know turn anxious eyes skyward and wonder what will happen now.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4110
Page:   <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  135 136 [137] 138 139   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI