Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Brings Back Memories

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Brings Back Memories Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brings Back Memories - 1/27/2009 5:06:46 PM   
Popeye

Retired from the Navy after a 26 year career, 17 of which were sea duty. Have seen more sea bouys go by than telephone poles! Did 4 as an RM, got my degree, and did another 22 as an officer. Retired a Commander. Now a high school teacher.

Only had this game a couple of days, but it sure brings back memories. Played in various at sea war games and computer generated games ashore. Best were CVBG vs CVBG as one was coming home and one was heading out on deployment.

Fired one Harpoon in a SINKEX off either the USS Reid (FFG-30) or the USS Marvin Shields (FF-1066) I forget, but blew the crap out of the target!

Was once TAO on Shields when we tripped over a Victor class sub. Put our helo up and chased her all over the place. NMCC finally told us to break off. Dropped a couple of SUS chargers on her before we left! LMAO!

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello and, although early in the game learning process, am having a ball! You guys seem to have hit a home run.

One quick question. In the game is there anyway to combine two SAG's into one formation? Looking, but as of yet have not found the answer?

Post #: 1
Harpoon Classic Scenarios - 1/27/2009 5:24:56 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Popeye

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello and, although early in the game learning process, am having a ball! You guys seem to have hit a home run.

One quick question. In the game is there anyway to combine two SAG's into one formation? Looking, but as of yet have not found the answer?

Always nice to see the approval from former professionals.

You can join groups together with the F7 Join Command. The groups need to be fairly close. For example, if the maximum Formation range ring of a task group AAs is 10nm, the group that wants to join AAs should be within 10nm of AAs for the command to work.

Welcome aboard, shipmate. Looking forward to all your sea stories (even if your students don't )

(in reply to Popeye)
Post #: 2
RE: Harpoon Classic Scenarios - 1/27/2009 7:09:44 PM   
TonyE

welcome Popeye

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to hermanhum)
Post #: 3
RE: Harpoon Classic Scenarios - 1/28/2009 4:28:33 PM   
CV32

Welcome welcome.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to TonyE)
Post #: 4
RE: Brings Back Memories - 1/30/2009 11:35:46 PM   
NefariousKoel

quote:

The Join/Merge Group command is also on the dropdown menu at the top (somewhere). I often use it to join a P-3 to a surface group for better buoy coverage. Just gotta remember to watch the fuel/loadout & detach it when needed.

(in reply to Popeye)
Post #: 5
RE: Brings Back Memories - 1/31/2009 12:47:15 PM   
Popeye

Thanks for the welcome. Been playing as best I can during my planning period at school. Game is tough....feel like an Ensign! Another question? In some senariors my subs run around? They're well off the beach? How do you tell where the shallow water is?

Forced one time to visit one of our diesel subs. Yup, long time ago. Asked if any of us wanted to join the sub fleet. I asked why one would ask to serve on a ship that sinks on purpose? Threw me off the boat! Kinda like serving on an amphib that on purpose runs aground? Give me Tin Cans any day!

Also saw reference to STANAVFORLANT. That squadron still around? Did a deployment with them in about 77 or so.

(in reply to NefariousKoel)
Post #: 6
RE: Brings Back Memories - 1/31/2009 4:06:53 PM   
TonyE

Popeye, with a group selected near where you want the water depth you can bring up the weather report Ctrl-W that shows water depth.  HC uses a very simple model of water depth, the farther away you are from land, the deeper the water.  There is no mid-ocean trench, or shallow continental shelf. 

In the next patch you will be able to gauge the water depth anyway (you can see this in the demo version in the status bar when you click around the map). 

Sincerely,
Tony Eischens
Harpoon (HC, HCE, HUCE, Classic) programmer
HarpGamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to Popeye)
Post #: 7
Harpoon Classic Scenarios - 1/31/2009 4:40:00 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

Also saw reference to STANAVFORLANT. That squadron still around? Did a deployment with them in about 77 or so.

StaNavForLant is now called Standing NATO Maritime Group ONE
http://www.seawaves.com/fleets/naval%20fleets/nato/navforlant.htm

(in reply to Popeye)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Brings Back Memories Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI