Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT - WWII quiz

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 1/22/2009 11:06:45 PM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

Perhaps if you ship everything overseas to fight, knowing how much it weighs is one of the most important things to know about the weapon?

Of course there is not much seeming advantage in knowing that your anti-tank gun is a "6 pounder." Perhaps its not weight, after all. Perhaps thats what it is worth!

< Message edited by Michael the Pole -- 1/26/2009 2:41:29 AM >

"One scoundrel is a disgrace, two is a law-firm, and three or more is a Congress." B. Franklin

Mike

A tribute to my heroes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fRU2tlE5m8

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 961
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 1/23/2009 3:30:00 PM   
composer99

Someone not a fan of the British war effort?

~ Composer99

(in reply to Michael the Pole)
Post #: 962
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 1/23/2009 4:00:38 PM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Not at all, not at all. For clarification, please see my posts concerning the French, accordions, the number of Frenchmen required to defend Paris and the (unique) results of their civil war.

"One scoundrel is a disgrace, two is a law-firm, and three or more is a Congress." B. Franklin

Mike

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 963
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 1/23/2009 5:55:25 PM   
composer99

With commentary like that, one would expect you to be English.

As one English writer once commented on "diplo-speak", "the strongest term in the diplomat's lexicon is 'unfortunate'. Obviously, this is reserved for dealings with the French".

~ Composer99

Post #: 964
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 1/24/2009 2:32:52 AM   
brian brian

quote:

I read my first Len Deighton volume this year. Talk about someone not a fan of the Royal military forces. I look forward to reading some more eventually. It is nice to read stuff based on information that became public decades after the war though.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 965
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 1/24/2009 2:47:33 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: brian brian

quote:

I read my first Len Deighton volume this year. Talk about someone not a fan of the Royal military forces. I look forward to reading some more eventually. It is nice to read stuff based on information that became public decades after the war though.

Warspite1

How so? What is his beef?

(in reply to brian brian)
Post #: 966
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 1/24/2009 3:01:22 AM   
brian brian

I read one of his books that consisted of a number of short pieces on various topics, not a more focused volume like the more well known "Fighter" and some similarly named titles.

iirc, he thought North Africa was a waste of time, the strategic bombing campaign was as well, and that the British Army was terribly slow to adapt to changing tactics and technologies even after the war got rolling. there were more criticisms I can't recall right now; I'll probably re-read the book I read some day. (at my local library, forgot the title)

still intrigued to learn what kind of tanks the Finns might have had. can't recall Crescendo of Doom giving them any. And in that game, it was always hard to get anyone to agree to play the Russians.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 967
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 1/24/2009 4:04:19 AM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

still intrigued to learn what kind of tanks the Finns might have had. can't recall Crescendo of Doom giving them any. And in that game, it was always hard to get anyone to agree to play the Russians.

I thought that I answered that one. Was I (gasp) incorrect?

Mike

Post #: 968
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 1/24/2009 7:57:06 AM   
Grymme

Here is the very sparse information i havw...

"they didnt have any tanks to speak of'(144) and in the entire Karelic front there were only 67 of the excellent Bofors antitank gun. (Edwards, Roberts, the Finnish Winter War, y 2008)

'(144) The fleet of finnish tanks consisted of 20 year old renault models topped of with a couple of Carden-Vickers, of which the latter were mostly unarmed for because of cost.

From another book i got the information that the finns had an independent cavalry brigade and that the armoured elements were a part of this. Do you know anything about that? Where did you get your information?

Post #: 969
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 1/24/2009 6:43:29 PM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grymme

Here is the very sparse information i havw...

"they didnt have any tanks to speak of'(144) and in the entire Karelic front there were only 67 of the excellent Bofors antitank gun. (Edwards, Roberts, the Finnish Winter War, y 2008)

'(144) The fleet of finnish tanks consisted of 20 year old renault models topped of with a couple of Carden-Vickers, of which the latter were mostly unarmed for because of cost.

From another book i got the information that the finns had an independent cavalry brigade and that the armoured elements were a part of this. Do you know anything about that? Where did you get your information?

On the Net, somewhere, but it was quite a while ago. Might have been wikipedia, I tend to graze that site in a sort of orgy of mindless link-chasing. Thank God I cant access it in the bathroom. I'd never get out.
I'll see if I can't find the article again.
I do highly reccomend winterwar.com

< Message edited by Michael the Pole -- 1/24/2009 6:46:43 PM >

Mike

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 970
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 1/24/2009 11:13:06 PM   
Grymme

Thanks Michael

Found this in the links section. An entire webpage dedicated to finnish armour use in WWII. Main page is mostly pictures. But there is gold in the forum part of the webpage. http://www.andreaslarka.net/

Cut from the webpage.

"The Vickers 6-ton tanks were late model VAE 6-ton Mk.E Type B tanks, fitted with the hull and turret arrangement (but not the engine) designed for the prototype Belgian VAE 6-ton Mk.F Type B tank. This arrangement is visible in every wartime and post-war photo I have seen of Finnish VAE 6-ton tanks...extended hull fighting compartment, turret offset to the right-rear. This hull form wasn't designed until 1935, though, so the test model purchased in 1933 had to be of the older hull type (short fighting compartment, turret offset to the left, commonly seen on the T-26 which was based on the older design as well).

Some sources state that only 26 of the "new" Vickers tanks were in service during the Winter War. The others, presumably seven in number, were in transit/still being completed.

Some suppositions I have, and would like comments on:

1) 13 tanks were armed for the Winter War, this being one company's worth of tanks. Coincidentally, 14 FT-17 tanks were "out of service" at the start of the Winter War, probably because these were the tanks which had their mantlets removed so the mantlets could be fitted to the 6-ton tanks for training purposes. Is this assumption reasonable? I assume that the same tanks that were outfitted for training would be the easiest to ready for combat as they had been fitted with at least some of the parts left off for cost-savings reasons.

Note that I have seen at least one photo attributed as a Finnish FT-17 captured by the Russians which had it's entire mantlet removed...the attribution seems to indicate this was one of the eight FT-17 captured still on board the train moving them to the front-lines. Therefore it is quite possible that the "out-of-service" FT-17 did see service...I cannot imagine why the Russians would remove the entire mantlet of an ancient FT-17 after capture.

2) Kimmo's post indicates the Vickers tanks were given registration numbers R-646 through R-677 (32 numbers inclusive). www.winterwar.com gives one of the Vickers tanks damaged at the battle of Honkaniemi as R-644; could this possibly be the testing tank purchased in 1933? If one assumes a theoretical (but never accomplished) issuing of the registration numbers R-600 through R-645 to the existing FT-17 tanks and the various prototype tanks purchased and/or considered during the 1930's, this numbering seems reasonable.

As for the T-26 tank, one of my sources (translated from Russian) indicates that the following numbers of T-26 tanks were repaired in 1940-1941 in time for the battle: 10 T-26 M1931, 20 T-26 M1933, 2 T-26 M1937/1939, 2 OT-26 and 4 OT-130. The same source indicates 70 non-flamethrower T-26 were captured during the Winter War - assuming a similar ratio of M1931 (two-turret) to other models, this gives almost exactly the correct number of too-damaged T-26 tanks so as to provide 45mm guns and mantlets for the Vickers tanks.

The same source quotes 102 T-26 tanks in service in 1942. Some appear to have been converted from existing tanks; the source states that six M1931 were converted using turrets from broken T-26 M1933 and BT-5 tanks, while two more were converted with turrets from broken M1937/1939 tanks. Similarly the OT-26, OT-130 and OT-133 tanks were converted. The source states that the OT-26 tanks which had their new turrets mounted to the right were the ones which received bow machine guns, while some OT-130 and OT-133 conversions received the same.

The source also notes that several of these Finnish OT-tank conversions used turrets from BT-5 and BT-7 tanks (which apparently have different pistol port closure types?). Since these conversions were done in 1942-1943, it seems possible that some of these turrets may have come from the hulls used to make the BT-42 SP guns. Any thoughts on this?

Aside from this, if anyone has any suggestions on books to purchase regarding the use of tanks in Finland, I would appreciate a posting of this information. I already have "Wehrmachtin Panssarit Suomessa" and plan to purchase the book Kimmo listed. I have also found information in David Glantz's book on the battles of 1944 in Lapland and the US Army Special Series on the Northern Theatre of Operations. Russian language books I have found info in include the Frontline Illustrations books on the T-26, BT and KV series, Armes Militaria magaine (in French) and the Osprey book on the T-34. I have also dug up some Russian language references on Russian tank forces arrayed against Finland. "

Post #: 971
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 1/25/2009 6:56:09 AM   
paulderynck

quote:

I read one of his books that consisted of a number of short pieces on various topics, not a more focused volume like the more well known "Fighter" and some similarly named titles.

iirc, he thought North Africa was a waste of time, the strategic bombing campaign was as well, and that the British Army was terribly slow to adapt to changing tactics and technologies even after the war got rolling. there were more criticisms I can't recall right now; I'll probably re-read the book I read some day. (at my local library, forgot the title)

Sounds like Deighton's book "Blood, Tears and Folly", subtitled "An Objective Look at World War II". Have it on my bookshelf but its been quite awhile since I read it.

Paul

Post #: 972
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 1/26/2009 1:38:02 AM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grymme

Thanks Michael

Found this in the links section. An entire webpage dedicated to finnish armour use in WWII. Main page is mostly pictures. But there is gold in the forum part of the webpage. http://www.andreaslarka.net/

"

very interesting... really amazing what you kind find on the internet. Whatever did we do before it? (Played incredibly long, intricate and pointless board games, interspersed with all night FRP sessions while the frat boys were chasing tail.)

Mike

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 973
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/2/2009 10:15:36 AM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Sounds like Deighton's book "Blood, Tears and Folly", subtitled "An Objective Look at World War II". Have it on my bookshelf but its been quite awhile since I read it.

Wanted to thank you very much for the info about "Blood, Tears and Folly", I recieved my copy Friday, and it seems excellent and informative. I had never heard of it until you mentioned it even though I have copies of "Fighter" and "Blitzkrieg."

And just a quickie from the first chapter to keep things going ---

Why is anti-aircraft artillery called "flak?"

Mike

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 974
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/2/2009 2:54:34 PM   
cockney

Flak refers to anti-aircraft gunfire, derived from the German Flugabwehrkanone, for "aircraft defense cannon",

never piss off a sgt major

Post #: 975
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/2/2009 10:07:54 PM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: cockney

Flak refers to anti-aircraft gunfire, derived from the German Flugabwehrkanone, for "aircraft defense cannon",

Absolutely correct!

Mike

(in reply to cockney)
Post #: 976
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/3/2009 5:51:30 AM   
JagWars

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael the Pole

If I remember correctly, the Finn's had a TOE of thirty Vickers Mark E's (or "6 ton tank" -- perhaps Warspite could enlighten us about the weird English prediliction of naming their weapons systems by how much they, or their shells, weigh!)

Not actually unique to the British. The US Civil War guns were called 10lb Parrots, 20lb Parrots, 12lb Howitzers, etc. Of course, they were not consistant, because there was also the 3" Ordinance or 3" Rifled and the Napoleon. Throughout history, there were probably others that used weight rather than size as a way to differentiate their ordinance. All of the Napoleonic war era cannons are usually rerfered to in pouldage, but that is probably because they were writtne by English speakers or translated into English.

Actually, it seems more logical to me to call them by poundage. A 6lb er has a given weight and an impact expectation based upon that weight. But 57mm simply states the diameter of the shell, but gives no idea of its total size or likely impact value.

Post #: 977
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/3/2009 10:16:42 AM   
terje439

Was not the weight of the guns used to figure out the relativity between broadsides in the sail-ship era? After all 20x18pounders would usually do more damage than 20x6pounders.
Either I read it in some history book, or it might have been the Hornblower-series, whichever it stated their gun value in ammo-weight per broadside. That actually makes sense to me, more than "well we have the same number of guns, but their guns have a larger diameter of shells..."

(in reply to JagWars)
Post #: 978
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/3/2009 8:35:32 PM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Was not the weight of the guns used to figure out the relativity between broadsides in the sail-ship era? After all 20x18pounders would usually do more damage than 20x6pounders.
Either I read it in some history book, or it might have been the Hornblower-series, whichever it stated their gun value in ammo-weight per broadside. That actually makes sense to me, more than "well we have the same number of guns, but their guns have a larger diameter of shells..."

Usually true. It was called broadside weight and was a good indicator of combat strength until the advent of rifled artillery.
Churchill makes a great deal of broadside weight, both in his communications with Admiral Jellicoe when serving as First Lord of the Admiralty, and in his books on WWI. His arguement with Jellicoe concerned the relative strengths of the German and English fleets, and Churchill goes into great detail comparing the relative weights of broadsides of the various ships, esp the 15 inchers that were mounted on the Queen Elizabeth class super dreadnaughts (such as our friend Warspites namesake) versus the shells thrown by the German 12 inchers. However, the comparison was flawed due to other factors such as the higher muzzle velocity of the German guns, the superior penetration of their shells and the superiority of their optics and gunnery.

< Message edited by Michael the Pole -- 2/3/2009 8:40:26 PM >

Mike

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 979
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/4/2009 4:13:53 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

There is at least one WWII general who has a minor planet named after him.
(maybe more than one?)

1) What is his name?
2) In what country was the very first monument to him erected?

-Orm

This was a bit tough so I give you some more to go on.

He is one of the most highly decorated in WWII. Among his decorations you find: 2 of the Order of Victory (one of the rarest awards in the world. Only 20 has been awarded - The only American to recive it was Dwight D. Eisenhower). He was four times Hero of the Soviet Union. Commander grade of the American Legion of Merit. Order of the Bath - Knight Grand Cross (Military Division), United Kingdom.

He commanded the winning side in The Battle of Khalkhin Gol.

-Orm

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 980
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/4/2009 4:28:19 PM   
rowan8915

A minor planet 2132 Zhukov discovered in 1975 by Soviet astronomer Lyudmila Chernykh is named in his honor.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 981
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/4/2009 4:40:30 PM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

quote:

(maybe more than one?)

1) What is his name?

-Orm

He is one of the most highly decorated in WWII. Among his decorations you find: 2 of the Order of Victory (one of the rarest awards in the world. Only 20 has been awarded - The only American to recive it was Dwight D. Eisenhower). He was four times Hero of the Soviet Union. Commander grade of the American Legion of Merit. Order of the Bath - Knight Grand Cross (Military Division), United Kingdom.

-Orm

Has to be Zhukov.
Is the monument in Mongolia?

Mike

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 982
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/4/2009 4:53:38 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

(maybe more than one?)

1) What is his name?

-Orm

-Orm

Has to be Zhukov.
Is the monument in Mongolia?

You got both right.

< Message edited by Orm -- 2/4/2009 4:55:48 PM >

Post #: 983
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/6/2009 2:34:43 PM   
Michael the Pole

Try this one!

What was the Peter Strasser? And in a similar vein (Warspite, you'll know this one) What was HMS Cromwell (hint: I'm not thinking of the "C" class late-WWII destroyer)?

And one more -- What is the name of the only municipality in the world named after a WWII Royal Navy warship?

< Message edited by Michael the Pole -- 2/6/2009 6:07:05 PM >

Mike

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 984
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/6/2009 6:48:47 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Try this one!

What was the Peter Strasser? And in a similar vein (Warspite, you'll know this one) What was HMS Cromwell (hint: I'm not thinking of the "C" class late-WWII destroyer)?

And one more -- What is the name of the only municipality in the world named after a WWII Royal Navy warship?

Warspite1

Peter Strasser was to have been a German aircraft carrier but she was not built

The other two I am at a loss about

Post #: 985
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/7/2009 12:55:20 AM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

Try this one!

Warspite1

Right, Warspite! The Peter Strasser was the provisional name for the Flugzeugträger B, the Graf Zeppelin's sister ship (the Kriegsmarine never gave names to ships until they were launched.)
As for the other two, HA HA, I triumph!

< Message edited by Michael the Pole -- 2/7/2009 12:58:49 AM >

Mike

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 986
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/7/2009 12:56:47 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Try this one!

Warspite1

Right, Warspite! The Peter Strasser was the provisional name for the Flugzeugträger B, the Graf Zeppelin's sister ship (the Kriegsmarine never gave names to ships until they were launched.)
As for the other two, HA HA, I triumph!

Warspite1

I assume Cromwell is a trick question - and you have to give a clue on "municipality" surely??

Post #: 987
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/7/2009 1:02:56 AM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

I assume Cromwell is a trick question - and you have to give a clue on "municipality" surely??

Sure, old comrade.
For Cromwell think of First Lord Churchill. For the municipality, think of the Battle of the River Plate.

Mike

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 988
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/7/2009 1:10:12 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Sure, old comrade.
For Cromwell think of First Lord Churchill. For the municipality, think of the Battle of the River Plate.

Warspite 1

Okay you got me on Cromwell - never heard of her. The municipality is a one in three chance so I`ll go for Exeter as she took mopst of the pain that day.

Post #: 989
RE: OT - WWII quiz - 2/7/2009 3:49:29 AM   
Michael the Pole

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure, old comrade.

Warspite 1

Okay you got me on Cromwell - never heard of her. The municipality is a one in three chance so I`ll go for Exeter as she took mopst of the pain that day.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning... ...it smells like, victory.

Churchill had a HUGE (well, considering the disputants) arguement with King George V over Churchill's repeated insistance on naming one of the Queen Elizabeths, HMS Oliver Cromwell. Churchill wanted to name the ships King Richard I, King Henry V, Queen Elizabeth and Oliver Cromwell. (The fifth ship in the class had been paid for by the Federation of Malay States and recieved the name Malaya.) The arguement got so bitter that the King is reported to have said, "...absolutely not,... not while I am King of England." This was remarkeable considering that Churchill was a Royalist of almost medieval loyalty. Churchill was eventually persuaded to drop his insistance, and the Cromwell was christened the Valiant. Also of interest is the fact that a late war C Class destroyer was eventually named Oliver Cromwell. I wonder why King George VI let it through? Warspite, any ideas?

Ajax, Ontario was named for HMS Ajax.

< Message edited by Michael the Pole -- 2/7/2009 3:57:49 AM >

Mike

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: OT - WWII quiz Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI