Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RHS install problems

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RHS install problems Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RHS install problems - 2/3/2009 7:02:23 PM   
johanb

Trying to install RHS with version 7 maps and having some problems.

Australia and New Zeeland maps don't line up with bases, and some aerplane art is not right (see pictures). This jake looks like a zero and some others aer different also.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: RHS install problems - 2/3/2009 7:03:30 PM   
johanb

Here's the jake.

I know some files from install are wrong or old version, but which ones?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to johanb)
Post #: 2
RE: RHS install problems - 2/3/2009 8:08:22 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Johanb, you are using a map and pwhex from different versions.

Make sure you use the right versions. For example:

v7
- map v7
- pwhex v7

V6
etc.

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to johanb)
Post #: 3
RE: RHS install problems - 2/3/2009 8:46:15 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Johanb, you are using a map and pwhex from different versions.

Make sure you use the right versions. For example:

v7
- map v7
- pwhex v7

V6
etc.

Start with a clean copy of WitP 1.804+1.806 and use the files I've given you links for here. The Level7 Installer 1.6 will set things up, and then download the XXX073 stuff at the top of the page and copy it into the SCEN directory (replacing the old scenario files).

< Message edited by herwin -- 2/3/2009 8:50:01 PM >

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 4
RE: RHS install problems - 2/3/2009 9:08:57 PM   
TulliusDetritus

So I take it that the installation is as kafkaesque as always?

P.S.: don't get me wrong, I [somehow] managed to install and play RHS. But I am a hound dog. Or a mule for that matter

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 5
RE: RHS install problems - 2/3/2009 9:46:15 PM   
dwbradley

quote:

ORIGINAL: johanb

Trying to install RHS with version 7 maps and having some problems.

Australia and New Zeeland maps don't line up with bases, and some aerplane art is not right (see pictures). This jake looks like a zero and some others aer different also.

The most common reason for this behavior is that you need to run only the RHS scenarios which start quite a bit further down the scenario selection page. This isn't made clear in the installer documentation (mea culpa) and for the next version I'll fix that and maybe delete the stock scenarios so that it cannot happen. I hope this advice helps. If not, please say so, and we'll do so more involved trouble-shooting.

Dave Bradley

(in reply to johanb)
Post #: 6
RE: RHS install problems - 2/3/2009 9:56:05 PM   
herwin

quote:

So I take it that the installation is as kafkaesque as always?

P.S.: don't get me wrong, I [somehow] managed to install and play RHS. But I am a hound dog. Or a mule for that matter

It's a six-step process:

Install WitP. I installed it into C:/Matrix Games/RHS
Install 1.804
Install 1.806
Run the Level7 Installer 1.6
Download the revised XXX073 scenario files from my site.
Drop the scenario files into the C:/Matrix Games/RHS/SCEN subdirectory.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

Post #: 7
RE: RHS install problems - 2/3/2009 10:06:40 PM   
johanb

Was not able to dl the 073.dat file from your site, but it is on the RHS site. Can I use from there?

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 8
RE: RHS install problems - 2/3/2009 10:24:55 PM   
herwin

quote:

Was not able to dl the 073.dat file from your site, but it is on the RHS site. Can I use from there?

I don't think they've been updated on the RHS site yet. What's the problem with downloading? Just right click the link and save them to the desktop. I just tried it.

This link will take you to the page. The files you need are that list of 14 towards the bottom of the first screen, starting with NDetail073.txt.

< Message edited by herwin -- 2/3/2009 10:26:55 PM >

Harry Erwin

(in reply to johanb)
Post #: 9
RE: RHS install problems - 2/3/2009 10:42:43 PM   
johanb

Here's the error message. I can download all except the .dat file.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 10
RE: RHS install problems - 2/3/2009 10:49:04 PM   
herwin

quote:

Here's the error message. I can download all except the .dat file.

My fault. It's a .cmt file. It should be fixed now.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to johanb)
Post #: 11
RE: RHS install problems - 2/3/2009 11:16:35 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Herwin, I installed RHS on july 2007. A 100% manual stuff. And yes, Kafka himself coud have written the installation steps...

So I see the installation of the mod is now [finally] more er... sophisticated. An installer! Now bring the caviar, champagne and starlettes!

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 12
RE: RHS install problems - 2/4/2009 12:09:54 AM   
dwbradley

quote:

Herwin, I installed RHS on july 2007. A 100% manual stuff. And yes, Kafka himself coud have written the installation steps...

From wikipedia (bold emphasis mine)
quote:

"Kafkaesque" is a term used to describe concepts, situations, and ideas which are reminiscent of the literary work of Prague writer Franz Kafka, particularly his novels The Trial, The Castle and the novella The Metamorphosis.

The term, which is quite fluid in definition, has also been described as "marked by a senseless, disorienting, often menacing complexity: Kafkaesque bureaucracies" [1] and "marked by surreal distortion and often a sense of impending danger: Kafkaesque fantasies of the impassive interrogation, the false trial, the confiscated passport ... haunt his innocence" — The New Yorker. [2]

It can also describe an intentional distortion of reality by powerful but anonymous bureaucrats. "Lack of evidence is treated as a pesky inconvenience, to be circumvented by such Kafkaesque means as depositing unproven allegations into sealed files ..." Another definition would be an existentialist state of ever-elusive freedom while existing under unmitigatable control.

The adjective refers to anything suggestive of Kafka, especially his nightmarish type of narration, in which characters lack a clear course of action, the ability to see beyond immediate events, and the possibility of escape. The term's meaning has transcended the literary realm to apply to real-life occurrences and situations that are incomprehensibly complex, bizarre, or illogical

Franz Kafka did not come to mind when I put the installer together but I must admit I like the comparison.

quote:

So I see the installation of the mod is now [finally] more er... sophisticated. An installer! Now bring the caviar, champagne and starlettes!

Sophisticated the installer is not, but I'd be happy to partake of the cavier, champagne, and starlettes.

Dave Bradley

Post #: 13
RE: RHS install problems - 2/4/2009 12:21:07 AM   
TulliusDetritus

"The Trial, The Castle and the novella The Metamorphosis"

I read all three. Great Literature (with capital l). Well, "The Castle" was quite boring to be honest

I was basically thinking about the installation steps back on 2007, when the first "stable" version appeared. In fact, I think I have that txt somewhere. I may PM it if I find it [and in case you like Kafka, just like me]. I'm glad someone managed to make the mythic installer (and I say "mythic" because it was postponed many times: it was either Kafka or a rational solution... which never came)

(in reply to dwbradley)
Post #: 14
RE: RHS install problems - 2/4/2009 3:49:10 PM   
johanb

reinstalled all files and still Australia not lining up. Not sure why

Post #: 15
RE: RHS install problems - 2/4/2009 4:11:20 PM   
herwin

quote:

Sounds like the PWHEX doesn't belong with the maps.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to johanb)
Post #: 16
RE: RHS install problems - 2/4/2009 4:19:34 PM   
herwin

This is what I did Tuesday:

1. Temporarily rename the War in the Pacific directory something else, say FOO
2. Reinstall War in the Pacific from the installation disc to the default directory and test
3. Patch this new copy of War in the Pacific to 1.804 and test
4. Then patch the patched copy to 1.806 and test.
5. Run RHS_Level7_Installer_1.6.exe against the patched copy, installing BBO and test. This should show the new map, correctly aligned.
6. Drop the XXX073 files into the SCEN subdirectory of the patched copy and test. This should show the new map, correctly aligned.
7. Rename the directory of the new patched copy to RHS.
8. Create an icon to point to the exe in the RHS copy.
9. Rename the FOO directory back to War in the Pacific and test with an old scenario. This should work with the old map, correctly aligned.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 17
RE: RHS install problems - 2/4/2009 4:52:10 PM   
ChickenOfTheSea

quote:

Make sure that you are using an RHS level 7 scenario (slots 67-79). It is the scenario files that place bases on the map, so what you are describing is loading scenarios designed for some other map (like stock or CHS).

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen

(in reply to johanb)
Post #: 18
RE: RHS install problems - 2/4/2009 5:44:06 PM   
dwbradley

quote:

I’m sorry you are having difficulties. Let’s see if we can penetrate the fog and fix it. Harry’s steps SHOULD result in a successful install and ability to run RHS but we may be missing something, so here are some troubleshooting steps that may give some info and help up determine what has gone wrong.

1. When you start the game and select a scenario, you should be selecting scenarios only from the range 68-79. Which scenario number are you using?
2. If the answer to question 1 is within the range specified then when the game is started take a look at the map and scroll down to the bottom edge. If you have Level 7 map art you should see the distinctive protected sea channels that are a feature of this map. Do you see these channels?
3. If the answer to question 2 is yes then you have the correct map art but there may be something wrong with the underlying data file, pwhex.dat. We can restore the pwhex file by running the pwhex switching utility. This utility is found in the folder C:\RHS\War in the Pacific\RHS\Level7_install\Utilities (using Harry’s example, your path may differ depending upon what you have named the new WITP install folder into which RHS Level 7 was installed) The program is named Switcher_MarkII_V1.2.exe. Exit WITP (if you haven’t already done so), and double-click and start the Switcher MarkII program. Check to see that it points to the correct path (you should see “Current path is C:\RHS\War in the Pacific , using Harry’s example again). If the path is not correct use the “Set Installation Path” button to make the indicated path correct for your installation. Next look for a button labeled “Restore PWHEX to STANDARD”. Press that button and then exit the utility. Restart WITP with the same scenario as above and please tell me what you see now. Is the map still misaligned with the bases?

That’s enough troubleshooting for now. I know the above may be a pain to work through but I think that getting RHS to work will be worth it for you. Good luck with getting this to work!

Dave Bradley

(in reply to johanb)
Post #: 19
RE: RHS install problems - 2/4/2009 5:48:22 PM   
dwbradley

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickenOfTheSea

quote:

Make sure that you are using an RHS level 7 scenario (slots 67-79). It is the scenario files that place bases on the map, so what you are describing is loading scenarios designed for some other map (like stock or CHS).

This is the most likely culprit but I don't rule out some other anomaly so I gave johanb some more involved instructions that I hope will help us get to the bottom of this if the wrong scenario number selection proves not to be the issue.

Dave Bradley

(in reply to ChickenOfTheSea)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RHS install problems Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI