Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Random CTD

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> Tech Support >> Random CTD Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Random CTD - 1/12/2009 10:50:52 PM   
Nickel

Just got the game. Started with 1939 scenario. Crashes are random but frequent, at least one -two times per turn. I have a dxdiag, but not sure how to attach to the message. Running XP SP2. Game was patched to 1.30. did not do any other patches

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Nickel -- 1/13/2009 1:05:34 AM >

never in driblets, but in mass
Post #: 1
RE: Random CTD - 1/13/2009 6:07:46 AM   
doomtrader

Can I get your ConsoleOut.txt file after the game crashes?

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 2
RE: Random CTD - 1/13/2009 3:10:45 PM   
Nickel

How do I get that file?

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 3
RE: Random CTD - 1/13/2009 3:11:54 PM   
doomtrader

It is in the main folder of the game

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 4
RE: Random CTD - 1/13/2009 3:43:48 PM   
Nickel

Here it is

Attachment (1)

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 5
RE: Random CTD - 1/13/2009 4:00:36 PM   
doomtrader

Is it from the play just after the crash?

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 6
RE: Random CTD - 1/13/2009 4:08:09 PM   
Nickel

Yes. The game froze. No key board commands work. I could not move the location of my mouse. Occassionally when I get this crash I will hear music frozen in a loop. I have to press the reset button on my computer and reset my whole system to get out of this freeze. I have done clean install 3 times including a disk cleanup and disk defrag before install. I have shut down all programs including Antivirus. Ihave shut done any unrequired program functions in Task. I have a PS2 keyboard and a Logitech wireless mouse. I have onboard Realtec sound which may not be latest drivers but are only 2.5-3 years old. I have EVGA 8800GT Super Clocked GPU with most current drivers. I have ASUS A9M Deluxe mobo. I have an AMD 4200+ CPU with latest drivers from AMD

< Message edited by Nickel -- 1/13/2009 4:42:20 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 7
RE: Random CTD - 1/13/2009 6:54:14 PM   
Nickel

Tried playing again in popup window. Installer page (the red page when you first start the game) does not minimize to task. It interfers with the diplomacy map, in that map would not scroll. Pulled installer down to lower left coner and Diplomacy map worked. Switched back to full window and freeze happened again. got this console out file

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 8
RE: Random CTD - 1/13/2009 7:17:49 PM   
doomtrader

Did you tried to run the game without autostart??
Go to the game main folder and run ww2.exe

Could you also please attache your save game?

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 9
RE: Random CTD - 1/13/2009 7:34:21 PM   
doomtrader

Also please download all the latest windows updates (I see you are still with SP2)
Also please download new video drivers (but not beta versions)
EDIT:
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us - nvidia drivers

< Message edited by doomtrader -- 1/13/2009 7:37:30 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 10
RE: Random CTD - 1/13/2009 9:52:24 PM   
Nickel

Why are you suggesting drivers and SP3? The game came out before either of these updates. I will install the video drivers but I prefer to keep my machine at SP2 because of some of the annoying things Microsoft is doing particularly with Netframework. Here is the last save game before the most current freeze. BTW running from ww3.exe still freezes although Diplomacy screen works.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Nickel -- 1/13/2009 9:53:04 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 11
RE: Random CTD - 1/14/2009 1:25:29 AM   
Nickel

Finally got an actual CTD. Got a windows error message. Any Idea where that log is? I am including the consoleout again

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 12
RE: Random CTD - 1/14/2009 2:40:47 AM   
Nickel

Changing video drivers did not change anything. I suppose I should have written down everything in the error message before I sent it on? Know a way to save those messages if I get another? I like the design of this game, but I am concerned because I do not see other people complaining about anything like this. I run many games that need way more GPU horsepower i.e. The Witcher, Fallout 3, both Stalker games and Gothic 3. They do not crash or freeze. I hope you guys can come up with something. BTW when I did get the CTD instead of the freeze, I had Fraps running to see if I had a frame rate problem (memory leak?) but it stayed glued at 60fps. When it did CTD the game changed size to the popup size window, which is how I had control over the mouse.

I will reinstall one more time and try to run with out any patches

< Message edited by Nickel -- 1/14/2009 2:43:23 AM >

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 13
RE: Random CTD - 1/14/2009 9:14:43 AM   
doomtrader

Indeed you are the only person wit such a problem, and I don't think we should blame your hardware.

Probably this is something with the software.
Despite the look the game has been compiled with the most modern programming tools and it might need some of the resources delivered with some of the MS updates.

We will try to go with your save game later today and let you know. (Altough the ConsoleOut.txt file again looks fine).

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 14
RE: Random CTD - 1/14/2009 1:36:45 PM   
Nickel

No luck w/out any patch. What was this patch 1.215 that came out to fix crashes? I believe that I have all three patches. Does 1.30 include the changes from 1.215? It is not listed in the readme?

I understand that you may use the most modern compiler for your game design. I was not questioning your technology. I have issues with MS high handed behaviour with users. They are not the company they were 15 years ago. The error message started out with App Name ww2.exe, AppVer 0.0.0.0 ModName d3d9.dll ModVer 5.3.2600.2180 offset 00030167.
I believe this is a conflict with Directx 9.03c? Does this help?

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 15
RE: Random CTD - 1/15/2009 1:25:14 AM   
doomtrader

I've played for about ten turns with your save game on three different computers.
No CTD. One of them has got most recent DirectX.

We will try to investigate it.

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 16
RE: Random CTD - 1/15/2009 4:10:30 AM   
Nickel

I have tried different game scenarios 1940 & 1941 as well as using just patch 1.21 and no luck. I have checked for better drivers for my onboard sound and can not find any. I also checked Windows update for Directx updates and nothing new. There is an update for my CPU which I have not installed. I am currently running AMD Optimizer ver 1.13 release date July 3, 2007. There is a newer update on the Windows update site? Always a little twitchy about CPU driver updates. I also tried a standard PS2 mouse w/USB connection wire. Hope you guys can come up with something. I have SECROM installed on my system due to some games that I have played. Could this be interfering in any way? Have you tried the save game on both XP sp2&3 machines?

< Message edited by Nickel -- 1/15/2009 4:13:57 AM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 17
RE: Random CTD - 1/15/2009 8:27:20 AM   
doomtrader

I tried at Vista with and without SP1 and at XP SP2.
Don't have XP SP3.

Don't know about SECROM thing.

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 18
RE: Random CTD - 1/15/2009 4:06:02 PM   
Nickel

SECROM is an anti-piracy software that many games have as part of the installation. It is a disc checking software of a nasty nature. It can mess up your CD/DVD rom auto play function. It is like a rootkit and installs, in a directory that you can not see in Windows, and is never removed when you uninstall the game that it came on. It checks to see that you have a legal copy of the disc in your drive when you play a game. It also searches your system for copying software and may actually cause your ROM to stop working.

BTW I have also tried installs to C:/ programs as a directory no luck. This is too bad as I find this to be an amusing low stress game, fun to play. Perhaps when you finish the new patch something will work. I have some doubts though as the game does this freeze with or w/out any patches. I am starting to suspect it may be related to sound. I have been trying to observe sound and freezes often occur with a rattling sound noise. I will slow down my sound acceleration and see.

This game does have any "call home executables" does it? I shut down my internet connection completely when I play games. I also block all the game executables that I can find from talking to the internet.

< Message edited by Nickel -- 1/15/2009 4:26:00 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 19
RE: Random CTD - 1/15/2009 5:49:35 PM   
Nickel

Thought I had it. Turned my sound acceleration down to basic and sampling to average. Played into 7th turn before the freeze. It did not stay frozen this time. I got a blue screen flash which I could not hold and the computer restarted. i am including the console out. The last lines went to an id77 and then repeated

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 20
RE: Random CTD - 1/16/2009 12:20:00 AM   
doomtrader

This looks strange.
I'll try to hunt this tomorrow or on saturday.

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 21
RE: Random CTD - 1/17/2009 12:59:31 AM   
Nickel

Here is the latest Console out. Game froze immediately after start of turn one 1939 campaign, first mouse click

Attachment (1)

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 22
RE: Random CTD - 1/17/2009 2:26:16 AM   
Nickel

Just had the worst crash I ever had with a game. When I restarted my computer my motherboard setup screen came up, then I was asked if i wasnted to enter CMOS before starting Windows. I had Task running while I played the game in a popup window. It was using 50% of my CPU. Seems like alot for a game without sophisticated graphics or sound? Check out the pic. I am losing faith guys.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Nickel -- 1/17/2009 2:28:20 AM >

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 23
RE: Random CTD - 1/17/2009 4:18:20 AM   
gwgardner

This is not likely to be appreciated by you, but ... I've been playing the game for like 4 or 5 months now, pretty regularly. never had any crash. I did have a bad save one time.

The kinds of problems you're having sound like memory capacity or video card issues.

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 24
RE: Random CTD - 1/17/2009 4:24:02 AM   
cpdeyoung

I hate to comment when I have no real advice, but maybe it can be of some help to know I got the game in August 2008, and have never seen anything like what you are seeing.  I am running Vista, using popup window, on a Toshiba Notebook.  Are there any other games that give you trouble, or even any applications that CTD?  As you say this game does not push the limits of what can be done with gaming.

Sorry for your problems.

Chuck

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 25
RE: Random CTD - 1/17/2009 7:30:01 AM   
Nickel

Yes I know that I appear to be the only with this issue. Any of you guys running anti virus/ firewall. i normally shut it down when i play games offline. I let it run one time when i loaded the game and it does not like what the game does to windows. I had several problems after the last crash. I had to go into CMOS as the crash threw my system clock off time. The crash also wiped away all restore points! It also caused my antivirus to shut down due to the system/ windows clock differences. Good luck, but I am done with this piece of software. BTW I run both Stalker games, The Witcher, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Obilvion and Crysis with no problems what so ever. I have numerous WW2 games by HPS Sim as well as other companies CDV & SSG. I picked up some of the Battlefront games today and can even run those with my antivirus/ firewall turned on w/out any problem. Maybe I got a bad disc for this game or something, but I am not going to risk blowing up my machine.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 26
RE: Random CTD - 1/18/2009 10:57:20 PM   
doomtrader

Nickel, I'm really sorry but we didn't found any solution.

If I understand correctly you have a retail version of the game. Have you got possibility to check how does it works on other computer?

You can also wait for next update. It will take some time until then, but it's going to be very big so maybe there won't be any more problems.

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 27
RE: Random CTD - 2/2/2009 9:12:32 PM   
Nickel

Installed new anti-virus software and tried to run ww2 again. Crashed but different lost my mouse, but I had a false pointer. When I moved my mouse different numbers and letters showed through the game map. I was able to use escape and then click exit to Windows. The menu after escape was greyed out. Here is the console out

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Nickel -- 2/2/2009 9:13:23 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 28
RE: Random CTD - 2/3/2009 8:20:42 AM   
doomtrader

Hi Nickel.
ConsoleOut.txt again looks fine.
What I can say is that we have changed many display aspects with the new update.

What I can propose is to try to run the game on another computer and see is the problem occuring. Have you got such possibility?

(in reply to Nickel)
Post #: 29
RE: Random CTD - 2/3/2009 9:42:51 PM   
Nickel

Sorry no other PC availible except my company laptop. That has too much snoop ware for me to try running the game. They will know. I will see what I can do as we might be able to rule out defective disc at least. BTW I am correct that this game runs w/out the disc in the drive.

< Message edited by Nickel -- 2/3/2009 9:44:17 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Road to Victory >> Tech Support >> Random CTD Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI