Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Excessively fast launch (and landing) speeds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Tech Support >> Excessively fast launch (and landing) speeds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Excessively fast launch (and landing) speeds - 2/3/2009 11:24:33 PM   
karpftj

I'm using .044.

When launching an airgroup from a base (in this case, it's HDS5, scenario 2.0) that contains multiple aircraft types, the aircraft launch as each aircraft type has exclusive use of the runway.

In this scenario, if you launch one of each type of aircraft from Olenogorsk (which has only one runway), ALL of the aircraft launch in just 30 seconds.

The issue happens in reverse when landing.

Also, in that scenario, I ferried all of the Tu-22M aircraft from the two northern bases to Kaliningrad (in the south). ALL 48 aircraft from (I think) Olenogorsk landed in one 30-second period.
Post #: 1
RE: Excessively fast launch (and landing) speeds - 2/4/2009 6:04:35 AM   
YankeeAirRat

This has been a standard issue through out the history of the game. Even the paper rules (of which HCE is based on) can allow aircraft at an airbase take off or land in one tactical turn (which represents one 30sec moment) unless a "house" rule is applied to the scenario.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to karpftj)
Post #: 2
RE: Excessively fast launch (and landing) speeds - 2/4/2009 12:16:10 PM   
karpftj

quote:

ORIGINAL: YankeeAirRat
This has been a standard issue through out the history of the game. Even the paper rules (of which HCE is based on) can allow aircraft at an airbase take off or land in one tactical turn (which represents one 30sec moment) unless a "house" rule is applied to the scenario.

I'm not talking about how quickly aircraft can scramble into the air (as if they were sitting on the runway with engines running).

I'm talking about aircraft taking off/landing more quickly than the number of runways would indicate. The 'Number of Runways' is supposed to indicate/LIMIT the launch/landing rates per 30 seconds for aircraft. A base with Runways=1 should only be launching/landing ONE aircraft in 30 seconds. This issue allowed 3-4 aircraft to launch in the example I gave. It also allowed 48+ aircraft to land in 30 seconds.

(in reply to YankeeAirRat)
Post #: 3
RE: Excessively fast launch (and landing) speeds - 2/5/2009 8:10:26 AM   
YankeeAirRat

That is what I am talking about as well. The computer game and AGSI has tried very hard to mirror the paper rules (current verison is Harpoon 4.1 updated in 2001) Both the computer and paper rules assume that all the aircraft on a ship or on a base are ready to fly with in 30 seconds. All that is needed is the pilots to come running from the lounge and jump up the boarding latter as the maintainers start the engines. As long as the aircraft are in the "ready 30" condition then they can be launched. The only limit in the paper rules is a sea state of 3 or greater there is a 20% chance that the aircraft will crash on take off/landing. Yes it is gamey that you can launch everything at the base right away, but there are ways around that if micro-manage the game a little bit. At the same time if your designing a scenario you can build in time limits between flightings being launched using the time delta event programmer in the scenario. I understand your position, but wonder that if they try to fix this only end up breaking some other vitale part of the code or hinder the AI.

Take my word for it. You never want to be involved in an “International Incident”.

(in reply to karpftj)
Post #: 4
RE: Excessively fast launch (and landing) speeds - 2/6/2009 5:34:51 AM   
VictorInThePacific

I have never seen this before, so I tried it with the demo.

Scenario: USNI 1 (No Man's Land), RED

I launched all 40 planes from Banak to attack Narvik. (see pictures below) The planes are organized as 12 MiG-23BN, 3 x 4 Su-24M, 2 x 8 MiG-29. They are organized in this rather odd way because you get the airplanes in packets, but whether you get those packets is random. Only the MiG-29s are fighters.

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww33/VictorInThePacific/launchbug/group.png

Banak has only 1 runway. Nevertheless, 47 s after scenario start, I had 26 planes in the air. That's 17 s for me to click around, and 30 s for the planes to move down the runway.

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww33/VictorInThePacific/launchbug/launch.png

After that, 6 more planes launched in groups of 2 every 30 s, and then the remaining 8 planes launched at the rate of one every 30 s. That's a total of twelve 30 s launch segments, so all 40 planes were in the air just over 6 min after scenario start.

http://s703.photobucket.com/albums/ww33/VictorInThePacific/launchbug/later.png

< Message edited by VictorInThePacific -- 2/6/2009 5:56:31 AM >

(in reply to karpftj)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Larry Bond's Harpoon - Commander's Edition >> Tech Support >> Excessively fast launch (and landing) speeds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI