Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Atomic Bombs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Mods and Scenarios >> Atomic Bombs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Atomic Bombs - 2/5/2009 2:41:42 AM   
Hakmeister

I don't know if this is the correct place to discuss this, but the A-bombs stick in my craw. W Germany got toasted by Allied bombers and lost all of its population centers in a single A-bomb run. Seems like the Allies had dozens of A-bombs to smash German cities. Yes, maybe the A-bomb also represents firestorms and not just nukes, but this seems like overkill. In my view, it spoils the game.

Suggestions:

1) A-bombs destroy population in stock, but not population centers.
2) A-bombs destroy only one population center when 2 factories are destroyed, not 1/2 factories destroyed.
3) Only one A-bomb attack can be made per turn, and it destroys only one population center. A box appears at time of bombing asking if you wish to use and A-bomb. If yes is selected, the box will no longer pop up for the rest of the turn.

Just my two cents. Anyone else have an opinion on this subject?

Jon
Post #: 1
RE: Atomic Bombs - 2/6/2009 9:00:55 AM   
Lucky1

With the longer build times for bombers (e.g., Global Glory), I don't actually mind the way A-bombs affect population points. This forces Germany to engage in some measure of late game fighter and AA production and provides real consequences for what really is a horrible weapon.  I do not think that Germany would have stayed in the war at all if atomics were falling from the sky with any regularity. Yes, Germany took a horrible aerial pounding, but the phsychological (not to mention physical) effect of one plane with one bomb wiping each city would bring any country to its knees. Keeping in mind that it is nigh impossible to get the bomb before 1945 (I have never done it or seen it), you are actually doing reasonably well with Germany to even be affected by the bomb at all. (I say this as I face an opponent with 7 heavy bombers rining Germany in summer 1945 - I expect to not be producing an awful lot of troops fairly soon....)

But, I realize my opinion is only one among many.

Playing devil's advocate (and representing the time/resoureces it took to build the bomb) one might contemplate lowering the research necessary to attain the bomb and then - once this tech is attained - one would need to build specific planes (only these carry the bomb) 'armed' with A-bombs....

(in reply to Hakmeister)
Post #: 2
RE: Atomic Bombs - 2/6/2009 4:31:41 PM   
Marshall Art

I do not have a problem with the current implementation -

If a large number of Allied bombers attack they can easily flatten most factories (i.e. cities) in a 3-month span. It did not take more in 1944 to take out most of Germany's key oil refineries among other prior to D-Day. But even with all factories destroyed in one region and possibly all pop centers reduced to zero Germany does not surrender - simply to prevent the WA to sit back and research the bomb without doing anything else.

(in reply to Lucky1)
Post #: 3
RE: Atomic Bombs - 2/9/2009 12:58:53 AM   
Hakmeister

To Lucky1:  I don't have a problem with destroying a population center, my problem is destroying 6 in one fell swoop.  The US did not have the capacity.  Atomic bombs were very difficult to produce.  Hence my argument for a once per turn atomic attack.  Maybe that should be an option to be selected at the start of the game.

To Marshall Art:  I have no problem with the destruction of factories.  The destruction of population is my concern.  Too much too quickly.  That's my only point.

Jon

(in reply to Marshall Art)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Mods and Scenarios >> Atomic Bombs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI