Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Surveyer General: USA Brig. Gen. William Emory

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Surveyer General: USA Brig. Gen. William Emory Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Surveyer General: USA Brig. Gen. William Emory - 2/5/2009 10:53:49 PM   
Battleline

Brig. Gen. William H. Emory (b. 1811, d. 1887) While William Hemsley Emory won every brevet to major general of both volunteers and in regular service, he was not appointed to the full rank of major general of volunteers until Sept. 25, 1865, well after the Civil War had come to a its conclusion. Emory came from a long line of soldiers. His grandfather came to the colonies from England and served in the American Revolution. His father fought in the War of 1812. Emory was born Sept. 7, 1811, at Poplar Grove in Queen Anne’s County, Maryland. He graduated from the U.S. Military Academy (14th of 33) in the Class of 1831. There, his classmates called him “Bold Emory.” He was commissioned a lieutenant in the 4th Artillery, but left this post after five years. In 1838, he returned to the army as a first lieutenant of topographical engineers. He was second in command of the northeastern U.S.-Canada boundary survey and then served in the Mexican War. There, as a lieutenant colonel of volunteers, he won two brevets for gallantry. After that war, he returned to survey work, including marking the boundary between California and Mexico and the Gadsden Purchase. He also wrote. One of his most popular works was Notes of a Military Reconnaissance from Fort Levenworth in Missouri, to San Diego in California. He was promoted to captain in 1851, major of the 2nd Cavalry in 1855. At the start of the Civil War, Emory was lieutenant colonel of cavalry. He was sent to Fort Smith, Arkansas and ordered to hold the Indian Territory. Forced to retreat, reportedly, he was the only officer to bring out all of his troops from Confederate territory without the loss of a man. Emory was recalled east, where he was commissioned brigadier general of volunteers March 17, 1862. He went with Maj. Gen. George McClellan to Virginia for the Peninsular Campaign commanding the army’s Cavalry Reserve Division. His best moment there came when he devised a plan to separate wings of the Confederates at Hannover Court House May 27, 1862. There, he led a mixed force of cavalry and artillery. On July 6, 1862, he was given command of a IV Corps brigade. He later In 1863, he was sent to lead the 3rd division of the XIX Corps under Maj. Gen. Nathaniel Banks in Louisiana. During the failed Red River Campaign of 1864. At the Battle of Mansfield, April 8, 1864, Emory’s stand helped the division of Brig. Gen. Robert Cameron to organize long enough to give the Federals an orderly retreat. He was given command of the XIX Corps after that campaign. The XIX Corps was recalled to Virginia later in 1864 and served under Maj. Gen. Phil Sheridan in the Shenandoah Valley, standing out at Fisher’s Hill and Cedar Creek. In 1865, Emory was placed in charge of the Department of West Virginia. After the close of the war, Emory finally got his promotion to major general of volunteers, ranking 126th of 131 to be boosted to that grade. Emory led different departments until his retirement in 1876. He left the army as a brigadier general. Emory died in Washington, D.C., Dec. 1, 1887, and was buried in the Congressional Cemetery.
Post #: 1
RE: Surveyer General: USA Brig. Gen. William Emory - 2/5/2009 11:48:00 PM   
Joram

Amazing work and dedication Battleline!

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 2
RE: Surveyer General: USA Brig. Gen. William Emory - 2/9/2009 8:48:43 PM   
jkBluesman

Another great bio, Battleline. I will soon rejoin you in the project. Have been busy with work and writing an article on Lincoln in German for his bicentennial.

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to Battleline)
Post #: 3
RE: Surveyer General: USA Brig. Gen. William Emory - 2/9/2009 9:04:53 PM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jkBluesman

Another great bio, Battleline. I will soon rejoin you in the project. Have been busy with work and writing an article on Lincoln in German for his bicentennial.

Interesting! Where's the Lincoln piece going to run?

By the way, "hangarflying" recently asked to join the team, so I've given him a few Union generals from out west (guys important enough to hold division commands at Shiloh).

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 4
RE: Surveyer General: USA Brig. Gen. William Emory - 2/13/2009 9:51:24 PM   
Battleline

Joram and jkBluesman,
Thank you for the praise. jkBluesman, I'm looking forward to seeing you get back into the bio-writing business!
And everyone else out there, still plenty of blue generals to write up!
Battleline

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Surveyer General: USA Brig. Gen. William Emory Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI