Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

patch 1.2

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> patch 1.2 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
patch 1.2 - 5/8/2002 9:51:03 AM   
terry cook

has anyone had problems installing 1.2 patch? i've installed 1.1 with no problem, but 1.2 does not want to work. i've downloaded patch 3 times thinking i had a bad file and reinstalled game twice. no joy. any thoughts?
Post #: 1
- 5/8/2002 12:21:48 PM   
madmax88

I installed 1.2 over 1.1 without a problem.
You simply have to make sure you install it in the right folder. The folder that contains the file "sudg.exe".

- -mAdMAx

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 2
I've had 1.2 probs also - 5/10/2002 12:34:48 AM   
BP

I downloaded and THOUGHT I'd installed the 1.2 patch correctly but in the game it still says version 1.1. I've also run that little automatic update program and it tells me I have the most up to date version. Maybe the installer stuck the patch in the wrong directory? I think I just ASSUMED it would know where to put the thing but we all know what happens when we assume...

If I uninstall/reinstall the patch, taking care to put it in the correct directory will I lose my save game files?

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 3
Patch Installation - 5/10/2002 12:48:37 AM   
Erik Rutins

Everyone, please read the following to make sure your patch is properly installed.

If the game still shows the previous version when you load it, that means the patch was installed in the wrong directory. We've recently gone to a new TrueUpdate program to correct this problem, but unfortunately since STUN was one of our first games we'll just have to deal with it the manual installation here for the time being.

The original 1.0 installation placed the game (by default) in:

c:\MatrixGames\St... etc.

The default 1.2 patch installation puts the patch in:

c:\Matrix Games\St... etc.

See the difference of a space? It's very easy to miss and I wish as much as anyone that we hadn't caused this confusion. Nevertheless, double and triple check. Chances are you now have a c:\MatrixGames\ folder and a c:\Matrix Games\ folder. I would suggest uninstalling the 1.2 patch, then reinstalling it and making sure you set the path to your original installation (c:\MatrixGames\.... etc. with no spaces).

Uninstalling and reinstalling the patch will not delete any saved games.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 4
It works! - 5/10/2002 8:24:42 AM   
BP

Uninstalled (making sure to run the uninstall from the "Matrix Games" folder - the one with the space between "Matrix" and "Games") then downloaded the patch again and reinstalled (in the "MatrixGames" folder - no space) and boom, I'm back in my old save games and it says version 1.2! Awesome! Very nice to have this little mystery solved. Now, if I could only get the "software playback" music to do like it says and quit spinning my hard disk every time I turn the music volume above zero...

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 5
Better Control of Music - 5/11/2002 10:04:07 AM   
D-Ray

While the constantly-spinning CD didn't bother me for music playback, the fact that the volume jumped back up to 100% at the beginning of every track did bother me.

I copied the music folder from the CD into the STUN game directory and use Winamp to play the music from my HD instead. Works great!

[COLOR=burlywood]-=-=-=-=--=---=-=-=
D-Ray
[/COLOR]

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 6
Music - 5/12/2002 10:09:49 AM   
BP

I didn't experience the volume problem and I don't care so much about the CD spinning - it's my hard drive spinning that bugs me. I've had a couple of hard drive failures in the past and am a bit wary of anything that will spin the thing for long periods. Why can't the short song bits be loaded and played from memory? I have 256Meg - plenty of space. I thought that's what "software playback" meant...

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 7
- 5/12/2002 10:58:36 PM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Hard drives are suppose to constantly spin. If you're having so many HD failers they you either have a dusty, dirty environment or you keep dropping your PC :) The next thing you'll be complaining about is that the game causes your CPU fan to spin :D

Anyways, the "short song bits" are loaded into memory and played. It's called streaming and its the way you play long multi-megabyte files. Sheesh.

FYI "software playback" refers to using system memory rather than sound card memory for mixing.

Developer of Starships Unlimited

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 8
Admitedly a minor issue - 5/14/2002 12:37:39 AM   
BP

Andew-
Thanks for responding. Admitedly, this is a minor issue. However, to clarify, I don't live in a dirty environment or frequently drop my PC. I have had two hard disk failures in 12 years of owning hard disks. They are infrequent but really un-fun when they do happen. Hard disks wear out just like anything else even if not abused. Secondly, I disagree that hard disks are supposed to spin continuously when the power is on. They spin only when some program is trying to access stored information. Perhaps we are using a different definition of "spin". Mine is when the hard disk light is on and you can audibly hear noise coming from the drive. Maybe that's just when it's reading/writing? Either way, my contention is that I perceive more wear and tear on my equipment when the light is on and noise is coming out of the drive and that only seems to happen with the music playing and I don't think it needs to happen just because the music is playing. Power supply fan is not your fault. I'll take that up with the power supply manufacturer (kidding)....

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 9
- 5/25/2002 11:41:55 AM   
MikeToth

Question to all:

If I have the 1.0 version, can I patch it to 1.2 without first patching to 1.1 (is the 1.2 all inclusive???).... haven't gotten the game yet but figured I would download any patch I need first.

Thanks

Mike

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 10
- 5/26/2002 3:30:02 PM   
madmax88

You can install 1.2 directly.

- -mAdMAx

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 11
- 5/27/2002 10:32:39 AM   
MikeToth

Thanks!!!!>....................

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 12
Re: Admitedly a minor issue - 5/29/2002 11:20:58 PM   
zorach

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BP
[B]Secondly, I disagree that hard disks are supposed to spin continuously when the power is on. They spin only when some program is trying to access stored information. Perhaps we are using a different definition of "spin". Mine is when the hard disk light is on and you can audibly hear noise coming from the drive. Maybe that's just when it's reading/writing?[/B][/QUOTE]

You're using an incorrect definition of spin, as a matter of fact :) Hard drives are always spinning. The light indicates access (read/write usually), noise indicates the heads are seeking.

If you're unhappy with the rate of hard drive failures, I'd suggest taking a second look at what you buy (check storagereview.com). Since IBM seems to be really screwing up with IDE drives these days I'd strongly recommend sticking with Western Digital; I still don't trust Maxtor or Fujitsu (although Maxtor looks to be improving).

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 13
- 5/30/2002 11:27:28 AM   
Kahn

Zorach is on the right track, though I might dissagree with his assesment of Maxtor. Any of their IDE drives made in the last three to five years are fine, just don't buy any of their SCSI drives.

And yes, disks DO spin continuously unless in the computer is in hibernation mode (you will note there is even a setting under Windows 98/2000/XP that even lets you set the timeout for this). You can just imagine the ware and tear that your car would take if you stopped for every stop light and traffic sign, the floored it after every stop to a crusing speed of 80 mph, just to slam on the breaks at the next stop! Why should you expect a disk drive to be any different; stop, then accellerate to 7200 rps (revolutions per second!) within the space of 2 seconds or less, then stop again... OUCH!

Rather, the unfortunate state you are refering to is the "bloatware phenomonon" which is simply put "as computing power and memory increases, so does the software memory allocation". Just the basic size of Windows 2000 OS alone in memory is between 62 and 70 megs with no other program running. That just blew through 1/3rd of your memory right there. Add say, a firewall, anti-virus software, intellimouse driver, and IE Explorer (which is all that I have up now as I write this) and I'm up to 165 megs, that's 3/5ths of my memory gone. When you figure that a game (in the worst case) is going to stream over 1.3 million pixels (32 bits each) at a frame rate of 60 to 70 times a second AND keep tract of how many shots, what items you still have, recalculate all the verticies in each frame so you don't walk through a wall, etc. you can see that your memory is going to be used up mighty quick. That is why windows gets around these limitations by using what is called a "swap file" (this is sometimes refered to as "virtural memory", and again this can also be set under the any of the Windows OS's) A swap file resides on your hard disk and is ment to augment your systems memory by storing data that is not as volitile as as that kept in system memory. A good example of this is to take a very large document in MS Word (say one with lots of graphics), or a large image in Photoshop. Only the parts that are being actively edited need to be in directly accessable memory, the rest can be stored on the hard drive until needed (like when you hit the save button).

When you get right down to it, we ask our machines to crunch numbers at a fantastic rate. Given the enormous burden in overhead that Windows and DirectX add to this number crunching, combined with the fact (and no offence to those programmers out there, since most of you weren't even born yet when the 8080 or Z80 chips were king, and you had to program to conserve clock cycles in order to make a kick ash program) most programmers just are not taught much about what routines use more time and memory that other routines that accomplish the same thing, so building a compact program is not of primary concern nowadays.

Heck, with two hard drive failures in 12 years! You have a much better average than any IT organization on the face of the planet!

"The one you have to watch out for is the one you don't see comming!"
[B]Kahn[/B]

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 14
- 6/12/2002 7:19:30 PM   
Marc von Martial

Excellent post Kahn ;).

allthough I must say that I´m very very satisfied with IBM HD´s. In 10 years of owning a PC I only had one HD gone yet and that due to a blewn up PSU that send it´s very last EM impulse right in to the HD platine, destroying it (well, a few other pieces also went down the pipe in that last attempt of producing energy ;) ).

Two disk in 12 years? Man, that´s really peanuts.

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 15
- 6/13/2002 4:26:27 AM   
madmax88

Especially when realizing that hds 12 years ago had at best a 10megs capacity.

Even if they still worked today, they wouldn't much help. You couldn't even install an operating system... :)

- -mAdMAx

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 16
- 6/13/2002 9:11:53 AM   
Kahn

...and some folks think I'm nuts to insist on Cat 5e shileded cable in my home installation. ;)

[B]Kahn[/B]

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 17
- 6/14/2002 4:35:47 AM   
EaglenOH

To continue on the 1.2 patch, I have just recently purchased the game. When I try to run it, I get stuck at the opening menu because of a sound problem - music gets stuck.

I tried to install the patch, but when I did it dumped into a Kodak - Imaging for windows program, and could not be run.

Help!!!!

I have heard many great things about this game, and seen excellent reviews. How do I fix the problems that I have?

Any help will be most appreciated.

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 18
- 6/14/2002 6:29:05 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]I tried to install the patch, but when I did it dumped into a Kodak - Imaging for windows program, and could not be run. [/QUOTE]

What exactly do you mean by that?

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 19
- 6/14/2002 9:09:57 PM   
EaglenOH

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]

What exactly do you mean by that? [/B][/QUOTE]

This is a program that was pre-loaded in my computer. It is used for viewing picture files. I did not specify for the patch to download there; I had it running from the location when I downloaded. For some reason it is coming up as a file for this program.

That is the best information I can give you. Do you think it would be better for me to just try to download the 1.1 patch and then try to download 1.2 after that? Or should I just stick with 1.1?

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 20
- 6/14/2002 9:47:53 PM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]This is a program that was pre-loaded in my computer. It is used for viewing picture files. I did not specify for the patch to download there; I had it running from the location when I downloaded. For some reason it is coming up as a file for this program. [/QUOTE]

Okay, that´s a problem with how file extensions are registered on your system. Check that Kodak Image viewer and look what file extensions he registers.

Anyway, the best thing is to download the patch right to your HD and then install it to the directory you have SUDG in.

You don´t need v1.1 you can apply v1.2 right away.

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 21
- 6/18/2002 4:19:34 AM   
EaglenOH

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]

Okay, that´s a problem with how file extensions are registered on your system. Check that Kodak Image viewer and look what file extensions he registers.

Anyway, the best thing is to download the patch right to your HD and then install it to the directory you have SUDG in.

You don´t need v1.1 you can apply v1.2 right away. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to continue to appear like a dolt, but I tried to do what you suggested, and it still is not working. I thought I found where I could change the file extensions, but I am still not able to download onto the HD. I have tried this with both 1.2 & 1.1.

Is there anything else you can suggest?

Thanks

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 22
- 6/18/2002 7:49:42 AM   
EaglenOH

...to continue, I have found where the .zip extension is set up to be opened up by this imaging program, but I confess, I don't know what to change it to so that it doesn't continue.

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 23
O.K., I'll try and talk you through this... - 6/18/2002 10:20:36 AM   
Kahn

If you are running Windows 98/Me/2000/XP, you may change the .zip extention by running Windows explorer (NOT Internet Explorer!!!). This can usually be found under the Start>Programs>Accessories menu. If you can't find this, then just click on Start>Run... and type "explorer" in the dialog box and click on the OK button. In the file listing find a file that has the .zip suffix (assuming that you don't have the "Hide known file types" option chosen under folder options, if you do, uncheck this now and click on apply, then OK). Right mouse button click on the file with the .zip suffix and in the drop-down menu that appears click on "Properties". The second line of text under the first tab will say something like "Opens with:" followed by the icon and name of the program that is currently associated with opening your .zip files (in your case this should read "Kodak Image viewer") followed by a button that is labled "Change". click on this button and after a few moments it will open a list box full of Icons, each followed by a program name. Assuming you have installed WinZip or PKZip, or one of the many file extraction programs available, scroll down to it and select it with your mouse, then click on OK.

Don't sweat breaking the old association the image viewer had to zip files. It serves no purpose as a zip file is not a valid format (as you've already found) for the Kodak image viewer anyway.

Hope this helps :)

[B]Kahn[/B]

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 24
- 6/19/2002 7:18:30 AM   
EaglenOH

Thanks, Kahn. I think I have got it. My pc had "unzip". Took me a while to find it, but I got the patch to install. I will give it a whirl.

I really appreciate the help!!

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 25
- 6/19/2002 8:20:02 AM   
EaglenOH

Success!!! Once again, thanks, Kahn. The patch worked great and it is running great. Now all I have to do is get into it and enjoy.

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 26
- 6/22/2002 12:47:13 PM   
Kahn

Glad I could be of help :)

[B]Kahn[/B]

(in reply to terry cook)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> patch 1.2 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI