Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Vehicle Reversing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Vehicle Reversing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Vehicle Reversing - 5/12/2002 9:47:25 PM   
Westralia

This may sound like a overly simple question, but can you reverse vehicles whilst still keeping the same facing direction. For example reversing a tank keeping your best armour facing the opposing forces rather than getting shot up the arse in a poorly armoured area?

Logic tells me that this would be possible but how to do it has escaped me so far
Post #: 1
- 5/12/2002 9:57:00 PM   
Mojo

You'd think you could do this but you can't. You always end up showing the enemy yer bum. With predictable results:D

I guess the only answer would be to always attack!;)

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 2
- 5/12/2002 10:10:42 PM   
Supervisor

It's an inherant flaw in the old SP code, it's unavoidable.

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 3
- 5/13/2002 12:25:18 AM   
Resisti

Hopefully should be implemented in Combat Leader.
In spwaw only thing you can do when in troubles (besides praying, of course ;) )is popping smoke in front of you and then move back.
Remember some tanks are equipped with smoke discharger; in this case clicking on "D" key you'll pop a consistem quantity of smoke in the 3 hexes in front of your tank.

Federico "Resisti" Doveri

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 4
- 5/13/2002 12:42:38 AM   
Supervisor

I think, but not completely sure it has been addressed in CL. I'll look in the private sector.

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 5
Not all is lost - 5/13/2002 7:34:40 AM   
Capt. Pixel

One thing that IS going for you - the hull turns in direction of movement, but the turret doesn't. So you still have a 50/50 chance the round will hit frontal turret armor. If your new hex position makes you hull down to the firer, then the only valid hits would be the front turret.

You can 'aim' your turret prior to moving by right-clicking on some hex in the direction you want the turret to point. This is really handy when you're approaching a side shot situation and want at least SOME of your better armor presented.

Some is better than none. :p

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 6
- 5/13/2002 11:07:11 PM   
Larry Holt

In the past Paul has resisted calls for a reverse gear in SPWaW saying that tanks just did not drive in revese for tens of yards. Given that the smallest CL scale is 16.7m per hex, perhaps he will reconsider.

Personnally I've served in a tank battalion and I know that tanks reverse often. Its just a question of how far. I also know how hard it is to reverse when you can't see what is behind you. If reverse gear is allowed (& I think it should be), it should be very slow and have a higher chance of short periods of immobilization due to the crew hitting things, running into ditches, etc.then pausing to see what they really hit.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 7
- 5/14/2002 7:57:07 PM   
Paul Vebber

The problem with reverse movement is players ask for it on the grounds of "realism" but if given it will use it totally unrealistically to "retire by prolong" like horse artillery...

Yes tanks reverse all the time, but typically in adminsitrative movement (Ie not under fire) for any thing near the typical hex size.

In the current game if you are adjacent to an obstacle that breaks LOS, you can AUTOMATICALLY in your turn "duck behind it" with ZERO chance that the enemy can do anything about it.

So in essence you can "reverse" out of trouble much more effectively than in real life. This will eventually be addressed.

IIRC in CL right now in "creep" stance you can move either forward or backward - without changing facing. But you have to be unbuttoned to do so (move to the rear arc).

Players will find vehicel movement SEVERELY curtailed in CL. Particularly for vehicles with high ground pressure. The worse the trafficability of the ground and the higher your ground pressure the more "random" the movement point cost for entering a hex will be - and if a slope is over 15 or 20 degrees, don't try driving ACROSS the face of it... (sung to the tune of Paul Simon "slip-sliding away" ;))

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 8
- 5/14/2002 8:01:11 PM   
Seagull

Weren't some models of German armored cars equipped with a forward and a reverse driving position, and a range of 'reverse' gears in order to bug out quickly?

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 9
- 5/14/2002 8:31:31 PM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Seagull
[B]Weren't some models of German armored cars equipped with a forward and a reverse driving position, and a range of 'reverse' gears in order to bug out quickly? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, the SdKfz 234 had a reverse driving position. Not sure if all variants had it, but at least the 234/2 8-rad Puma. Practical in streets, if you had no place to turn around quickly.

Ofcourse that hideous Polizei-Panzerkampfwagen ADGZ (M35 mittlere Panzerwagen) sported double driving positions - it even looks like two front ends welded together! :p

Got StuG?

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 10
- 5/15/2002 7:55:49 AM   
Easy8

When my tanks stumble into an untenable situation, I pop the smoke dischargers (D key) to cover my rear, and turn away.

Easy8 - an Easy8's best weapons are his smoke dischargers and a radio;)

"The problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the present" -Hobbes

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 11
- 5/15/2002 8:38:19 AM   
Easy8

Oops!

Resisti already said it -
"Hopefully should be implemented in Combat Leader.
In spwaw only thing you can do when in troubles (besides praying, of course )is popping smoke in front of you and then move back.
Remember some tanks are equipped with smoke discharger; in this case clicking on "D" key you'll pop a consistem quantity of smoke in the 3 hexes in front of your tank."

I really should read the entire thread before posting.

Easy8 - An Easy8 is redundant;)

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 12
Band of Brothers - 5/15/2002 12:29:23 PM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Easy8
[B]When my tanks stumble into an untenable situation, I pop the smoke dischargers (D key) to cover my rear, and turn away.

Easy8 - an Easy8's best weapons are his smoke dischargers and a radio;) [/B][/QUOTE]

And four other Easy8 targets :p

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 13
Re:And four other Easy8 targets - 5/15/2002 7:20:50 PM   
Easy8

Smoke to hide
The radio to call in the Jabos:eek:

Easy8 - An Easy8 appreciates air superiority

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 14
- 5/16/2002 9:08:07 PM   
Westralia

Many thanks for everybodiys input. It has finally put to bed a frustration that I had thought I was tantalisingly close to solving! it seems not to be.

The idea of limited reverse movt with a greater short duration immobilisations seems good. Allows a little risk assessment by the player in the situation, because popping smoke when the opposing T34/85 is in an adjacent hex does not help!

(in reply to Westralia)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Vehicle Reversing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI