Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Have a question regarding HQ's

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> Have a question regarding HQ's Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Have a question regarding HQ's - 2/23/2009 5:02:49 AM   
timberwolf15

I play against the AI for now, just got the game, but anyway I notice on Random Scenarios I create that the AI makes more than one HQ - I use one HQ for all of my troops - I may end up with say 25 units before the scenarios over; whereas, I notice the AI may make 3 or 4 other HQ's at times.

What is the advantage of making more HQ's ??

Thanks in Advance - Bob
Post #: 1
RE: Have a question regarding HQ's - 2/23/2009 1:34:48 PM   
henri51

If a HQ is near its units, it gives them a combat bonus.

Henri

(in reply to timberwolf15)
Post #: 2
RE: Have a question regarding HQ's - 2/23/2009 3:38:24 PM   
srndac

Okay, let's elaborate on the above post:

IF
Your units are within 3 hexes of the HQ they belong to,
AND
That HQ has more than 100% staff points needed,
THEN
Those units get 66% higher combat abilities, and have 33% less chance of running away - if the staff is inexperienced.
As the units kill enemy troops, and staff gains experience - those bonuses grow.
And if you upgrade the staff to the next level - those bonuses grow.
And the higher they grow - the better you troops fight.

cheers!
srndac

Post #: 3
RE: Have a question regarding HQ's - 2/23/2009 11:34:08 PM   
timberwolf15

Thanks so much I missed that somewheres in the documentaion ... guess I got another thing to make now with the PP's ... thanks for explaining it in detail

(in reply to srndac)
Post #: 4
RE: Have a question regarding HQ's - 2/24/2009 4:00:31 AM   
Jeffrey H.

You might also find that having HQ's distributed on large maps eases logistics since produciton can be assigned to individual, local HQ's and you don't have to move the new production around so much. 

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

Post #: 5
RE: Have a question regarding HQ's - 2/24/2009 1:42:59 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

You might also find that having HQ's distributed on large maps eases logistics since produciton can be assigned to individual, local HQ's and you don't have to move the new production around so much. 

I find that sending ALL production to the main HQ is simpler. Otherwise I find that my sub-HQs get overloaded with stuff they don't need, not to mention going over their carry capacity and falling behind the fast-moving troops.

I guess the price to pay is some losses when they are sent back and forth across long distances.

Henri

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 6
RE: Have a question regarding HQ's - 2/24/2009 3:28:55 PM   
srndac

quote:

ORIGINAL: henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

I find that sending ALL production to the main HQ is simpler. Otherwise I find that my sub-HQs get overloaded with stuff they don't need, not to mention going over their carry capacity and falling behind the fast-moving troops.

I guess the price to pay is some losses when they are sent back and forth across long distances.

Henri

Ahem .. that's not the main problem in that picture, Henri ...
Distributing troops from your Supreme HQ has 2 other - more severe - consequences:

1. troops being transferred from any HQ into units subordinated to another HQ get a 75% readiness drop. As opposed to 25% readiness drop if they are transfered to those units that belong to the HQ that is transferring.

2. To actually transfer the troops from Supreme HQ to all the units - especially those far away, you'll need a LOT of trucks (in one game I had 121 trucks in my Supreme HQ because of that) that can be more useful in the front. Besides - if your HQ is close enought to the front - the troops you are transferring will use their own power to move, and you won't need that many trucks.

Yes, correct distributing of production can get tedious (especially when you have a lot of cities and HQ's) and sometimes even deadly (when the enemy hits you the hardest at a point you didn't thought he will) but (IMHO) that only adds up to the challenge.

cheers!
srndac

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 7
RE: Have a question regarding HQ's - 2/24/2009 3:40:48 PM   
timberwolf15

SRNDAC ... where are you getting all your info from .... the documentation I have barely tells me how to play it .. are you just figuring all these gems out by fighting wars and being observant ...

(in reply to srndac)
Post #: 8
RE: Have a question regarding HQ's - 2/24/2009 6:08:17 PM   
Grymme

Played the game almost every week for more than a year.

There is a lot in the documentation. But also in the different tutorials. A lot is in the supply tutorial on the forum "supply for newbies".

Then there the countless battles etc.

Here is a good link to a heated discussion on the subject whether its best to transfer all production to supreme HQ or directly to the combat HQs. Players whom are comfortable with the supply system usually do the latter, IMO.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1994906

Post #: 9
RE: Have a question regarding HQ's - 2/24/2009 7:24:19 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grymme

Played the game almost every week for more than a year.

There is a lot in the documentation. But also in the different tutorials. A lot is in the supply tutorial on the forum "supply for newbies".

Then there the countless battles etc.

Here is a good link to a heated discussion on the subject whether its best to transfer all production to supreme HQ or directly to the combat HQs. Players whom are comfortable with the supply system usually do the latter, IMO.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1994906

Problem with that thread is that so many questions are being discussed that it is unclear finally which method is better.

Here is how I do it in WaW: I could be wrong, but I didn't notice any 75% drop in readiness when transferring units from the main HQ to a sub-unit.

In my game, ALL supplies and production goes to the main HQ OKW, who then distributes it to the AGN,AGC, etc units whose HQs are under OKW. If the sub-units are in Africa, then replacements are sent to the main Italian HQ in Rome (also under OKW), who then send them to a HQ in a port in Africa. When my front moves too far East,to avoid the distance penalty I create OKH in Smolensk under OKW and put all the Eastern Front units under OKH. I haven't paid close attention, but I think that these replacements are over 50% readiness when put into a new unit.

One time I DID try to send Rumanian production directly to the Rumanian HQ; after a couple of moves, that HQ was bloated with supplies and unneeded units, and couldn't follow his combat units, and it took 3 moves to get rid of the extras because it didn't have the trucks to move the extra supplies and stuff back to the main HQ.

The above thread implies that trucks and horses are not necessary in the main HQ. But they ARE, because they determine the number of replacements that you can transfer to field units. BTW except for the main HQ, I use mostly horses in sub-HQs and combat units, especially in the early game, except for a few armored units needed for long exploitation, because horses are MUCH cheaper than trucks.

I understand that my supplies are taking a small hit from traveling all the way to the main HQ and back to combat units, but I don't think that it is a major loss, and the screen at the start of each turn doesn't indicate any heavy loss of supplies for me.I didn't notice any losses of combat replacements over land, but I could be wrong.

I understand that the optimum way to play the game is to send all supplies to the main HQ (OKW in the case of WaW),and to send combat unit production directly to the sub-HQs. But this exponentially increases the amont of micro-management, and can lead to problems like I had with the Rumanian HQ if one is not extra careful. It also requiures one to go over the needs of EVERY unit in the game at the end of each turn, but what does one do after a half hour of planning when he reaches a HQ that needs fighters but no more are available because they have already been atrtributed to another HQ? Personally I don't have enough memory nor patience to deal with this, so until I start to lose, I will keep using the streamlined method of the main HQ deciding where reinforcements go (which is how it was done historically - Patton could yell all he wanted, it was Eisenhower or Bradley who decided who got the petrol (it was usually Monty).

Henri the still slightly confused

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 10
RE: Have a question regarding HQ's - 2/24/2009 7:35:37 PM   
Grymme

Its not that difficult. You yourself say that the optimum is to transfer supply to Supreme HQ and units to combat HQ. if you can manage the planning and micromanagments. Thats just it. It is more difficult to plan, and sometimes your plans take a hit. But you do get rid of the readiness loss.

The readinessloss is not that big a deal if you are playing against the AI and always have a lot of troops, good amount of supply etc. Eg. When you are winning anyway. It is a huge deal when you are fighting a smart human on even terms. I am right now fighting a loosing war (for the moment) where the single biggest difference is that he has better supply lines and is able to transfer units directly to combat HQ while my units have to pass through 1-3 HQs before reaching their combat HQ.

But, as with anything. If you dont have the skill or dedication needed to do this it might even be better strategicly to use the supreme HQ method. Better use the Pistol you can use than the Tank to which you dont even have the key :)

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 11
RE: Have a question regarding HQ's - 3/2/2009 8:43:50 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Grymme makes a good point, against the AI is one thing, against a Human on equal terms is another. In the latter case, the handling HQ's and logistics can make or break a game.

It's certainly easier on the taskload to let everything flow into a single HQ and dole the stuff out from there. But you will be missing some combat bonus and you will also be spending a lot of PP's buying cargo capacity to haul all the reenforcements and resupply to the front. The larger the map is the more penalties you will accumulate.  

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> The War Room >> Have a question regarding HQ's Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI