Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Isn't it pretty???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Isn't it pretty??? Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 6:16:46 AM   
John 3rd

BANZAI!!!

(Thank you for the complement)

BANZAI!!!

If anyone makes a 'realism' comment you will be shot at sunrise.  The war is lost but this COULD be fun...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 1741
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 8:17:52 AM   
Nemo121

Aye, once all those tanks were shown as being part of the landing this target became almost inevitable.

Couple of points:
1. Don't forget that the enemy can counter-land using ships etc from Burma/Malaysia.

2. If you want to get ashore quickly at Triv land there with paras the day BEFORE you are to land amphibiously. That way your forces will land in a friendly base, will suffer fewer casualties and will unload more quickly ( crucial to your success ).

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1742
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 9:29:58 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alikchi

You are insane!

This should be fun to watch.

hehe, exactly my thoughts...

(in reply to Alikchi2)
Post #: 1743
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 10:37:30 AM   
JeffroK

While I'd love to see a jfb perform a banzai attack.....

Dont forget that Dan can get so much airpower into range in 1 or 2 days and make a mess of both your armies and KB.

The Killer Bees can be hitting you tomorrow!!

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 1744
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 10:55:28 AM   
ny59giants

quote:

Couple of points:
1. Don't forget that the enemy can counter-land using ships etc from Burma/Malaysia.

2. If you want to get ashore quickly at Triv land there with paras the day BEFORE you are to land amphibiously. That way your forces will land in a friendly base, will suffer fewer casualties and will unload more quickly (crucial to your success).

I was part of the General Staff that came up with this plan. I had originally started with just a raid and then John took it further. I had thought of using paras, but the closest base is 34 hexes away.

quote:

Dont forget that Dan can get so much airpower into range in 1 or 2 days and make a mess of both your armies and KB.

There is over 300 Aviation Support available in 6 static BF in that part of India that John will have to overcome. Part of the plan is to suppress the AF on Ceylon AND hope for that notorious poor weather to prevent attacks. The fatigue factor should help after and long transfer to be in range.

Just a few Bde in the wrong places fully prepped for that base could make life difficult. John and I had a phone call late last night going over what to do after the landing. There are a lot of "what ifs" to deal with.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1745
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 4:05:20 PM   
John 3rd

For every answer there are about 20 'what ifs.'

IF I had a base close enough for the Para Landing that is what I would do; however,...

Figure we'll land at Trivandrum with one TF unloading to capture the city and THEN unload everyone.  It'll be rough but should put one heck of a scare into Dan when he realizes the scope of the assault.  Lord knows he might be in Shanghai at that point.

The comment about counter landings is good.  Most of the 15+ I-Boats will be moving into the Bay of Bengal for commerce attacks.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1746
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 6:12:15 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

For every answer there are about 20 'what ifs.'

IF I had a base close enough for the Para Landing that is what I would do; however,...

Figure we'll land at Trivandrum with one TF unloading to capture the city and THEN unload everyone.  It'll be rough but should put one heck of a scare into Dan when he realizes the scope of the assault.  Lord knows he might be in Shanghai at that point.

The comment about counter landings is good.  Most of the 15+ I-Boats will be moving into the Bay of Bengal for commerce attacks.

ever thought on putting a nav guard unit onto a fast transport to unload it before your real invasion? Of course this only works against an undefended or very lightly defended target but the same goes for a para attack...

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1747
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 6:24:20 PM   
John 3rd

DAMNed Fine idea!  Consider that thought immediately placed into the plan.  Thank You Sir...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 1748
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 6:30:52 PM   
castor troy

quote:

DAMNed Fine idea!  Consider that thought immediately placed into the plan.  Thank You Sir...

you´re welcome

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1749
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 8:04:18 PM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

quote:

Couple of points:

2. If you want to get ashore quickly at Triv land there with paras the day BEFORE you are to land amphibiously. That way your forces will land in a friendly base, will suffer fewer casualties and will unload more quickly (crucial to your success).

I was part of the General Staff that came up with this plan. I had originally started with just a raid and then John took it further. I had thought of using paras, but the closest base is 34 hexes away.

quote:

There is over 300 Aviation Support available in 6 static BF in that part of India that John will have to overcome. Part of the plan is to suppress the AF on Ceylon AND hope for that notorious poor weather to prevent attacks. The fatigue factor should help after and long transfer to be in range.

Just a few Bde in the wrong places fully prepped for that base could make life difficult. John and I had a phone call late last night going over what to do after the landing. There are a lot of "what ifs" to deal with.

Have you included the Allied bases in Karachi & the Calcutta/Chittagong region
B29 & maybe B24 could strike from these areas as well.

Plus the USN could get their CV's into a position to interdict your run to safety.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1750
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 10:40:26 PM   
vettim89

I don't care about the sanity/insanity. John has assured us of two things:

1. The end of this war will not be the typical Japanese being slowly ground to dust postscript

2. This game will now forever be considered one of the greatest WITP contest ever (as if it weren't already)

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1751
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 11:16:15 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

quote:

Couple of points:

quote:

Have you included the Allied bases in Karachi & the Calcutta/Chittagong region
B29 & maybe B24 could strike from these areas as well.

Plus the USN could get their CV's into a position to interdict your run to safety.

Who says I'll RUN for safety???

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1752
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 11:16:48 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

I don't care about the sanity/insanity. John has assured us of two things:

1. The end of this war will not be the typical Japanese being slowly ground to dust postscript

2. This game will now forever be considered one of the greatest WITP contest ever (as if it weren't already)

It'll end with a bang. THAT much is certain.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 1753
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/23/2009 11:57:26 PM   
John 3rd

Castor--Your idea was outstanding.  I found the 3rd Cavalry Regiment sitting SW of Soerabaja.  I will fill it onto a Fast TF.  Those ships will dart ahead of the landing force and grab the base before it might even be apparent as to where I am landing. 

Only did two turns today so not much to report.  No big Strategic Strikes or much of anything.  Gonna run a Tracker Report to see just how BAD things are...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1754
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/24/2009 12:18:57 AM   
JeffroK

I'm not meaning to pick on you specifically, but,

After 12mths of Allied offensive where you have been strong enough to interfere with Dans plans you decide its time for a Death or Glory offensive to end the game.

Dan, and every other Allied player, has to put up with a rampant japanese player with little chance to do more than plug the gaps, and when to going gets tough for the japanese.......

I dont think its fair to your opponent to end the game in this way, IMHO it would be better to call it quits rather than go through an ahistorical death ride.

What was one of the best PBEMs here will now proceed as a farce.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1755
RE: Isn't it pretty??? - 2/24/2009 12:25:54 AM   
Sayar

great plan.
i'm sure you thought about it - but why not to land at the base that have some garrison? this could help your armored forces to advance quickly, if you only could to achieve first breakout.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1756
Rude - 2/24/2009 12:32:06 AM   
John 3rd

Wow.  Anything I have to say will be rude.

I just ran tracker and it couldn't be much more grim.  There is oil in the Home Islands for 22 Days.  Resources are good for 140 days.

NO--Scratch that--I will comment to Jeff's posting.

I have fought Dan tooth and nail in a great fight for over 18 months of my life where my own life has been subject to indescribable fear, anger, and depression.  In many ways this stupid game and AAR have kept me afloat through some horrifically dark days and nights.  I expect comments and criticism but won't tolerate that Bullshit.

An AAR is a labor of love to write where one exposes themselves to all sorts of things. Your posting is the first time I have been truly offended

The fact that I decide to try a desperation move is because Dan has ALLOWED me to do this.  ALL his CV are now accounted for.  He has made the choice to continue into China and leave the door open elsewhere.  There is no conceivable way for me to fight off the onslaught about to hit China.  I will fight and my army shall die.  The troops I am using for Downfall come from areas that SHOULD be taken.  The Philippines and Malaya survivors are where these troops come from.  They SHOULD have been wiped out six-eight months ago but weren't and they lived to fight another day. 

I will speak no more on this without drawing a moderator into the AAR.

If it is now a farce then GET OUT and STOP READING IT!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 1757
RE: Rude - 2/24/2009 12:54:10 AM   
Redd

Awesome AAR! Don't bother with the BS. Keep goin'. Can hardly wait to see what happens. Good luck.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1758
RE: Rude - 2/24/2009 12:57:16 AM   
HarryM

I've really enjoyed this AAR!

(in reply to Redd)
Post #: 1759
RE: Rude - 2/24/2009 1:09:44 AM   
BLurking

Nicely put John.

I've had a PBEM last to the end as Japan, and my opponent actually got bored of pounding Japan. So much so, that he invaded the Home Islands with poor results. He probably would've enjoyed it if I had made a last ditch effort such as this. But I had beaten on him for years, and was willing to let him have his time.

PBEM partners get to know each other pretty well, and I've read nowhere where you intend to end the game at the conclusion of this effort. As long as you're willing to live with the consequences, I'm sure Dan will appreciate the diversion.
It oughta be good. Best of luck.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1760
RE: Rude - 2/24/2009 1:48:33 AM   
Q-Ball

Good comments John.

Of course that attack is fair, any debate otherwise is ridiculous. Now, whether it is WISE, well that's up for debate.....

Whether it will be ENTERTAINING, that's not even debateable. I can't WAIT to read Dan's post when he sees the troops unloading!

This will only make the AAR more interesting. Who wants to read about 200 bombing raids?

Keep it up!

(in reply to BLurking)
Post #: 1761
RE: Rude - 2/24/2009 1:50:15 AM   
Miller

Go for it!

(in reply to BLurking)
Post #: 1762
RE: Rude - 2/24/2009 1:55:13 AM   
SierraJuliet

John. Maintain the entertainment. Dan caught you off guard earlier on. The fact that you have managed to maintain sufficient forces to even contemplate such a daring move at this late stage should not preclude having a go. It is reminiscent of the audacity and desperation of the late war German attack in the Ardennes.

Your move will certainly liven up this particular end game.

(in reply to BLurking)
Post #: 1763
RE: Rude - 2/24/2009 2:29:25 AM   
SierraJuliet

Now that I have thought about it a little more I can see a number of striking similarities between your Indian adventure and the Germans in the Ardennes:

The careful gathering together of a strike force and the efforts at concealing this process.
The hopeful reliance on the weather to keep the overwhelming reach of the enemy air on the ground and out of the fight.
The last throw of the dice.... there is nothing left in the tank after this.
The blitzkrieg style of attack... just look at the use of tanks in both cases.
A sting in the tale even in the face of insurmountable odds.... look at the forces arrayed on the doorstep of Japan.... and the Germans - a monstrous Russian army behind them.
Audacious... without a doubt.
Desperate.... breathtakingly so.
Chance of ultimate success..... not a hope.

The stuff of legends.... for sure. 

(in reply to SierraJuliet)
Post #: 1764
RE: Rude - 2/24/2009 3:19:33 AM   
vettim89

I read both AAR's and therefore try to keep silent as far as anything regarding strategy, unit locations, etc.

As far as Downfall goes John, here are my thoughts

1. This game has been like a wildly swinging pendulum with both sides having their day. Unlike some, I think it is the ONLY way for this game to go as you near 1945. Anything else and it would not be the Forlorn Hopes we all love

2. As for Dan, I think he will at first soil himself and then likely smile. He has come to both respect and appreciate your style of play. Quite frankly I think he would be disappointed if you didn't try something outrageous

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to SierraJuliet)
Post #: 1765
RE: Rude - 2/24/2009 3:28:12 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

Wow.  Anything I have to say will be rude.

I just ran tracker and it couldn't be much more grim.  There is oil in the Home Islands for 22 Days.  Resources are good for 140 days.

NO--Scratch that--I will comment to Jeff's posting.

I have fought Dan tooth and nail in a great fight for over 18 months of my life where my own life has been subject to indescribable fear, anger, and depression.  In many ways this stupid game and AAR have kept me afloat through some horrifically dark days and nights.  I expect comments and criticism but won't tolerate that Bullshit.

An AAR is a labor of love to write where one exposes themselves to all sorts of things. Your posting is the first time I have been truly offended

The fact that I decide to try a desperation move is because Dan has ALLOWED me to do this.  ALL his CV are now accounted for.  He has made the choice to continue into China and leave the door open elsewhere.  There is no conceivable way for me to fight off the onslaught about to hit China.  I will fight and my army shall die.  The troops I am using for Downfall come from areas that SHOULD be taken.  The Philippines and Malaya survivors are where these troops come from.  They SHOULD have been wiped out six-eight months ago but weren't and they lived to fight another day. 

I will speak no more on this without drawing a moderator into the AAR.

If it is now a farce then GET OUT and STOP READING IT!

John (moderator here! ) a man's AAR is his castle in my book - if you feel someone is offending you consistently in your AAR then let me know via PM and we will try to address.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1766
RE: Rude - 2/24/2009 3:46:10 AM   
Mad66

I've read both AARs, and enjoyed them. Carry on, John. I too want to see how this works out.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 1767
RE: Rude - 2/24/2009 3:52:37 AM   
John 3rd

I was so steamed I had to walk away for a bit and then come back to find all this.  Thank you all VERY much. 

Mr. Wilkerson (this will sound corny) I am honored that you would contribute your thoughts in a such a strong manner.  I do appreciate it VERY much.

For the rest of you nuts---THANKS---for providing a bit of a confidence boost.

SierraJuliet---I had not thought of the striking comparison of Bulge versus this plan until you laid it out like that.  well done!

Vettim--I think you are dead on with your evaluation of Dan.  He will have a heart attack, smile, and then--hopefully-over-react!

Miller and QBall--you guys have been great contributors from the beginning of this AAR.  Now one of you is an allie in another piece of insanity!

Redd--Harry--B--Mad appreciate the support.  PLEASE jump in anytime.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 2/24/2009 4:02:34 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 1768
RE: Rude - 2/24/2009 4:01:02 AM   
thegreatwent

Just a semi-lurker who has only occasionally commented. Yet I've enjoyed this AAR immensely and have learned a great deal about the game from it. As for a fascicle death ride HA! Tell that to the Yamato... Erm... Wait... What the heck, Banzai!!! What's the worse that can happen

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 1769
RE: Rude - 2/24/2009 4:11:31 AM   
John 3rd

BANZAI!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to thegreatwent)
Post #: 1770
Page:   <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Isn't it pretty??? Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI