Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/11/2009 1:12:41 AM   
wmorris

quote:

Replacement of 130 for IL-2 (IL-10 added in) provides almost exactly the # of historical units produced:

Turn 1-47: 44 per turn- 2068 (replacements x.34 starting turn 1)
Turn 48-77: 88 per turn - 2640 (replacements x2.0 strating turn 48)
Turn 78-351: 132 per turn - 36036 (replacements x1.5 starting turn 78)
Turn 352-end: 199 per turn- 10291 (replacements x 1.5 staring turn 352)
Total 51291 (my research numbers yielded 52K and 48K so I'm all right with this)

No.

I transposed some numbers from research somewhere. Total IL-2 and IL-10 production was 41-42K total, and many of the 5-6K IL-10's were produced after the war, so 39-40K is probably correct.

The replacement # of 120 that I have been using produces ~45,600 aircraft by the formula above. I think that this takes care of city losses in the early period, and may be a bit high. The point is that 304, as in the original design, is extravagantly excessive.

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 271
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/11/2009 3:03:55 AM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

The point is that 304, as in the original design, is extravagantly excessive.

D21 modestly changed the number from 304 to 290, and our production manager comes up with a total of 47,000 aircraft. These numbers have been crunched time and time again over the years, and they always end up being proven as correct as can be expected. You can certainly do what you want, but I'd rather use the time on this thread in assisting Elmer with his dual against a human opponent.

(in reply to wmorris)
Post #: 272
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/11/2009 3:52:14 AM   
wmorris

quote:

I'd rather use the time on this thread in assisting Elmer with his duel against a human opponent.

I just realized that you have different production modifier events in D21, so it makes our numbers different.

I beg pardon, I realize that I have strayed rather far afield and will post in the appropriate thread.

Thanks

< Message edited by wmorris -- 2/11/2009 4:14:58 AM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 273
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/15/2009 5:43:57 AM   
sPzAbt653

Turns 145-152. After clearing the Soviet forces gathering around the Moscow area, and the October 1942 mud (8 turns), it's time to start moving into the south. This is the great expanse that I have always feared, it's a dismal abyss that sucks all units committed to it into a black hole from which there is no recovery. But up 'til now, everything has gone my way, so I must remain confident. I've got all four Panzer Army's intact and on the move, so I curse anything that stands in my way.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to wmorris)
Post #: 274
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/15/2009 5:47:59 AM   
sPzAbt653

With this much force, what can stand in my way? Every unit that Elmer throws in front of me is brushed aside.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 275
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/15/2009 5:55:19 AM   
sPzAbt653

Of course, I do have to guard everywhere to make sure that Elmer doesn't bite me, especially on the flanks. In the far south, he's attacked my Kherson bridgehead a few times but I've held, he took the Beryslav bridge from me, and now two hexes west of Beryslav he gets across the river. I should be able to contain the threat, I hope.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 276
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/17/2009 3:03:15 PM   
larryfulkerson

So um....hey you guys. Steve Sill sent to me the newest version of "Directive 21" and I posted it on the file server so you can download it easily. You can find it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?lhmtzoymjnz

Let me know if there is a problem and I'll see what I can do to fix it. As always, please let us know how your game goes.

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 277
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/17/2009 4:23:19 PM   
Silvanski

Download link OK Larry, thanks

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 278
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/17/2009 4:57:33 PM   
sPzAbt653

Thanks guys.

Stefan allowed me to edit the original background document so that it pertains to D21. It's pretty big but contains a lot of info that raises questions all the time, so it's worth skimming thru. I try to keep it up with the latest changes, if anybody thinks something should be added or changed, just let me know.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 8/15/2009 3:12:43 PM >

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 279
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/22/2009 4:49:26 PM   
Telumar

So, i played until the middle of turn 3 so far, Elmer's behaviour looks quite historical, he pushed all of his Mech Corps forward only to find himself encircled, starved out and mopped up. I blitzed to the outskirts of Minsk and am beginning to envelope the City which seems not well defended. In other areas Elmer could delay me more successfully with counterattacks and throwing everything in my way, though his counterattacks didn't cause much damage. Seems he doesn't care about interdiction, too.

Something catched my attention: The SS wiking has an authorized strength of 99 StuGs 41. Why? Currently it has 83 assigned..

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 280
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/22/2009 6:26:07 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

Seems he doesn't care about interdiction

You shouldn't experience any serious interdiction until '43. Probably none at all for the first 3 turns, and not much at all until after turn 10.

quote:

SS wiking has an authorized strength of 99 StuGs

They did have StuG Abt 5, but I don't think they would have had 99. Maybe it was meant to make up for something else due to the 24 slot limit. I should have made different versions of this unit long ago, so thanks for bringing attention to it.

As far as the initial Soviet reactions, there were several ways to go, and I decided to try for the historical. Generally, Armies had no communication from Stavka for the first two weeks, and up until Case Blue there were no orders to withdraw or defend, only to assemble and attack in order to push the Axis back to where they came from. In the specific case of Minsk, the 13th Army was first ordered to the area to defend the city, then was ordered to assist the West Front in breaking out from the Bialystok encirclement. German movements outpaced these orders and the 13th Army wasn't able to do either. It seems from the playtests that it pretty much works that way, too.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 281
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/22/2009 8:58:45 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

quote:

Seems he doesn't care about interdiction

You shouldn't experience any serious interdiction until '43. Probably none at all for the first 3 turns, and not much at all until after turn 10.

You misunderstood me - i meant he (Elmer) is moving his units no matter how strong german interdiction is. But, be it as it is, there's not much you can do about it.

quote:

As far as the initial Soviet reactions, there were several ways to go, and I decided to try for the historical. Generally, Armies had no communication from Stavka for the first two weeks, and up until Case Blue there were no orders to withdraw or defend, only to assemble and attack in order to push the Axis back to where they came from. In the specific case of Minsk, the 13th Army was first ordered to the area to defend the city, then was ordered to assist the West Front in breaking out from the Bialystok encirclement. German movements outpaced these orders and the 13th Army wasn't able to do either. It seems from the playtests that it pretty much works that way, too.

Elements of 13th Army are indeed defending the City. The Bialystok pocket comprises of elements of four Mech Corps! One success for Elmer however is to hold the bulk of AG Center at the "Baranavichy Bottleneck". Poor terrain outside the road there, i had to fight five hexes along the road this turn (turn 3). Okay, maybe poor deployment by me there, but a success for Elmer.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Telumar -- 2/22/2009 8:59:42 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 282
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/22/2009 10:17:49 PM   
vahauser

Hi guys,

I've been gone for a while dealing with real life. But now I'm back. I'm a little concerned about what I've been reading in this thread about making Directive 21 more "historical". The reason this bothers me it that Directive 21 is based on a non-historical hypothetical premise to begin with: namely, that the Germans invaded the USSR with a more powerful force than they actually had historically.

Further, Directive 21 is bound by the 2,000-unit limit on both sides, which imposes ahistorical constraints on total number of units as well as affecting the units' TOEs. For example, Wiking is given 99 StuGs to start with. But I don't have a problem with that. Why not? Because unless you can represent Wiking in all of its evolutionary stages (which would take how many unique individual units exactly?), then a design compromise must be reached that shows Wiking in a "generic" sense. Which is what Directive 21 gives you. And since we are dealing with "generic" units on both sides, then to me quibbling over historical TOEs and historical replacement rates is largely a waste of time. The larger, and more important, issue is play balance. Play balance is where we should be devoting our precious (and limited) time.

I'm also concerned that the AARs I've been reading show that the human player is pretty consistently smashing Elmer. This is not surprising. But what is surprising is that some folks want to make Elmer's replacement rates more "historical", whatever that means. Here again, I don't have a problem artificially boosting Elmer's reinforcement/replacements because we are talking about human vs. Elmer and not human vs. human.

Since Directive 21 is just a game (and a game based on a hypothetical premise to begin with), then I'm in favor of whatever it takes to make Elmer more formidable, including artificially and "ahistorically" boosting Elmer's capabilities.

Anyway, I've downloaded the latest version of Directive 21 and I'll do my best to contribute until real life calls me away again.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 283
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/22/2009 10:23:01 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

You misunderstood me - i meant he (Elmer) is moving his units no matter how strong german interdiction is.

Yes, I did misunderstand. I think the interdiction level is watered down because of the size of the map. I think.

quote:

Poor terrain outside the road there,

Guderian made it thru that rough terrain and made it to Bobruisk (124,177) on June 28th (end of turn 2, turn 3 starts on June 29th). It's impossible to do that in this scenario. Even if there were no Soviet units, it's about 44 hexes along the most direct road path, and each would cost 2 mp's to enter. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing, or if Guderian had a majik pony!

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 284
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/22/2009 11:22:56 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: vahauser
Since Directive 21 is just a game (and a game based on a hypothetical premise to begin with), then I'm in favor of whatever it takes to make Elmer more formidable, including artificially and "ahistorically" boosting Elmer's capabilities.

Elmer should actually play better after the next patch (I hope anyway.) It's also possible to boost his advantage on the options screen if he's too easy. It won't make him play more intelligently, but it will give him a boost in replacements, morale, and several other areas. I don't think it directly impacts combats, although it does make early turn ending less likely for him.

There's a lso a global handicap in the scenario that could be set by an event to help him as well.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 285
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/22/2009 11:33:28 PM   
Telumar

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

quote:

Elmer should actually play better after the next patch (I hope anyway.) It's also possible to boost his advantage on the options screen if he's too easy. It won't make him play more intelligently, but it will give him a boost in replacements, morale, and several other areas. I don't think it directly impacts combats, although it does make early turn ending less likely for him.

There's a lso a global handicap in the scenario that could be set by an event to help him as well.

Btw, games started with the current version can be continued with the next patch?

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 286
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/22/2009 11:38:33 PM   
vahauser

quote:

Guderian made it thru that rough terrain and made it to Bobruisk (124,177) on June 28th (end of turn 2, turn 3 starts on June 29th). It's impossible to do that in this scenario. Even if there were no Soviet units, it's about 44 hexes along the most direct road path, and each would cost 2 mp's to enter. I don't know if that is a good or bad thing, or if Guderian had a majik pony!

As I recall, only the advance recon elements of a motorized division (the 29th?) actually arrived near Bobruisk on 28 June. But, I agree that this is not possible in Directive 21.

Here again, this does not trouble me since there are other game issues that more than make up for the Germans not being able to duplicate their historical early advance rates (the main issue I'm referring to is the human player's ability to keep moving his units even when they are Red 0% supply). [Some suggested 'House Rules' restricting the human player (he would be on his honor to obey these rules since there is no way to enforce them other than the 'honor system') from moving/attacking with units that are not at a certain supply level. Perhaps something like: "No human unit my voluntarily move or attack if it is 'Red' status", or something like that. Indeed, even this one simple change could have a dramatic effect on play balance in favor of Elmer.]

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 287
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/22/2009 11:45:39 PM   
vahauser

quote:

quote:

Ralph,

I agree with you completely (I'm aware of the +1, +2 handicaps available to Elmer).

However, my complaint is that some people want to "historicize" (is that even a word?) a generic non-historical scenario. And that is what I was really talking about. My position is that it is wasting time and effort (away from larger issues like play balance and programming Elmer) to mess around with "historical" TOEs, etc., since Directive 21 is all generic units anyway.

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 288
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/22/2009 11:52:54 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar
Btw, games started with the current version can be continued with the next patch?

Absolutely.

If you're playing against Elmer, you can do pretty much whatever you want, turn fog of war on and off, etc. I don't want to try to tell people how to play solo.

For PBEM games in progress, the new rules and new supply options can't be used, they could unbalance things. I know that people sometimes play very long games, and I'm doing everything possible to not require a restart.

The 'true' bug fixes and some more minor changes will apply no matter what, and nothing that we're doing should really unbalance any scenarios, they're more in the nature of refining some of the edge conditions. Once we get more things nailed down, I'll put up a separate post detailing them. I've also posted some of this on my blog. If we find out that there is an issue with the tweaks that's going to break some sceanrios, I'll put in an option to let people select the bahavior.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 289
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/23/2009 12:55:29 PM   
MechFO

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ralph,

I agree with you completely (I'm aware of the +1, +2 handicaps available to Elmer).

However, my complaint is that some people want to "historicize" (is that even a word?) a generic non-historical scenario. And that is what I was really talking about. My position is that it is wasting time and effort (away from larger issues like play balance and programming Elmer) to mess around with "historical" TOEs, etc., since Directive 21 is all generic units anyway.

As one of the "historicize" fraction I can understand the sentiment, indeed it is true that a large amount of generisation is inevitable given the scope and length of the scenario. However I don't see why one shouldn't also look at history when striving for balance (though balanced in what way, the Germans take Moscow 3 times out of 5?) I f.e. agree with the sentiment that the Germans initially seem overpowered, however one could also look to "historically" weakening the Germans instead of arbitrarily strengthening the Soviets. F.e. the Pz Divs are about 30% overstrength in terms of Infantry and Support Weapon firepower. Now just cutting them down to size would probably go a long way towards (or even overshoot) the objective.

< Message edited by MechFO -- 2/23/2009 1:05:02 PM >

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 290
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/23/2009 3:00:58 PM   
vahauser

quote:

ORIGINAL: MechFO

As one of the "historicize" fraction I can understand the sentiment, indeed it is true that a large amount of generisation is inevitable given the scope and length of the scenario. However I don't see why one shouldn't also look at history when striving for balance (though balanced in what way, the Germans take Moscow 3 times out of 5?) I f.e. agree with the sentiment that the Germans initially seem overpowered, however one could also look to "historically" weakening the Germans instead of arbitrarily strengthening the Soviets. F.e. the Pz Divs are about 30% overstrength in terms of Infantry and Support Weapon firepower. Now just cutting them down to size would probably go a long way towards (or even overshoot) the objective.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've had this discussion on the Steel Panthers forum. . .

The unit strengths don't bother me. Why not? Because they are just as messed up on the Soviet side. Don't misunderstand me. My claim is that Norm's original algorithms for calculating the combat value of equipment is seriously flawed. So I don't care what the unit strengths in Directive 21 are, since they are built upon a flawed foundation so it doesn't matter what they are. There are far better ways to adjust the play balance in Directive 21 than fiddling around with units strengths.

Unit proficiencies, supply, movement rates, etc., are all superior ways of adjusting the play balance in Directive 21 (in addition to refining Elmer's programmed responses).

I personally think that only 3 changes would greatly modify the play balance in Directive 21. In order of importance:
#1. Improving Elmer's programmed responses.
#2. Prohibiting human players from voluntarily moving and/or attacking with units in 'Red' supply status.
#3. Doing away with the ant units on the human side (all these divisional HQs and individual regiments, etc.).

Those three changes are the 'Big Three', the way I see it. And fooling around with unit strengths are way down on the list (almost to the point of insignificance).

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 291
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/23/2009 4:15:14 PM   
MechFO

quote:

quote:

I wish I had a dollar for every time I've had this discussion on the Steel Panthers forum. . .

The unit strengths don't bother me. Why not? Because they are just as messed up on the Soviet side. Don't misunderstand me. My claim is that Norm's original algorithms for calculating the combat value of equipment is seriously flawed. So I don't care what the unit strengths in Directive 21 are, since they are built upon a flawed foundation so it doesn't matter what they are. There are far better ways to adjust the play balance in Directive 21 than fiddling around with units strengths.

I agree the combat model is not perfect and I see your point. However futzing around with TOE's does give the possibility to get the hierarchies right. A "normal" German Inf division will win over a "normal" Russian Division. Divisions with a lot of Infantry but few support weapons will still win sometimes but will suffer much heavier losses (proportionally). A big infantry division with few AT assets will get overrun by even small armoured units etc. etc.etc.

It's not an end to itself, but a useful starting place.

Where the model IMO really breaks down is in how losses are calculated and this is where I agree that historicity becomes virtually useless. What use is sticking to historical production numbers if the loss rates are so far off in TOAW that it's meaningless?

quote:

Unit proficiencies, supply, movement rates, etc., are all superior ways of adjusting the play balance in Directive 21 (in addition to refining Elmer's programmed responses).

I personally think that only 3 changes would greatly modify the play balance in Directive 21. In order of importance:
#2. Prohibiting human players from voluntarily moving and/or attacking with units in 'Red' supply status.
#3. Doing away with the ant units on the human side (all these divisional HQs and individual regiments, etc.).

Those three changes are the 'Big Three', the way I see it.

I agree, but #1 and 2 is not something the designer can change.

I do see the point in Divisional HQ's with the artillery and some Army level ants are necessary (like for example PzJr) to help create concentrations. The problem with Hex sizes this small is that a lot of artillery will have a range of 2 hexes and more. If these guns are integrated into the units themselves, a lot of supply will go down the drain every time supporting fire is provided (which will be often).

< Message edited by MechFO -- 2/23/2009 4:18:44 PM >

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 292
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/23/2009 6:46:12 PM   
vahauser

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree the combat model is not perfect and I see your point. However futzing around with TOE's does give the possibility to get the hierarchies right. A "normal" German Inf division will win over a "normal" Russian Division. Divisions with a lot of Infantry but few support weapons will still win sometimes but will suffer much heavier losses (proportionally). A big infantry division with few AT assets will get overrun by even small armoured units etc. etc.etc.

It's not an end to itself, but a useful starting place.

Where the model IMO really breaks down is in how losses are calculated and this is where I agree that historicity becomes virtually useless. What use is sticking to historical production numbers if the loss rates are so far off in TOAW that it's meaningless?

quote:

Those three changes are the 'Big Three', the way I see it.

I agree, but #1 and 2 is not something the designer can change.

I do see the point in Divisional HQ's with the artillery and some Army level ants are necessary (like for example PzJr) to help create concentrations. The problem with Hex sizes this small is that a lot of artillery will have a range of 2 hexes and more. If these guns are integrated into the units themselves, a lot of supply will go down the drain every time supporting fire is provided (which will be often).

Actually, my point #1 was specifically intended for the scenario designer. What I meant is that the scenario designer can use events and objectives, etc., to materially affect how Elmer is going to respond to a variety of situations. I think that Directive 21's scenario designer is hard at work on this. Which is what I want him to keep right on doing as Priority #1 (and not let himself be distracted by all this quibbling about "historical this" or "historical that").

Point #2 is admittedly a pipedream since human players will abuse and take advantage of the system pretty much whenever they can get away with it.

Point #3 is a HUGE problem worth addressing by the scenario designer. Way back months ago when the playtest of Directive 21 first started and the first threads were formed, I made my position clear regarding allowing the human player to have lots of ants like divisional HQs and panzer regiments. I'm especially opposed to the divisional HQs. Elmer has his divisional artillery organic to his divisions. So should the human player. Further, allowing the human player to stand out of harm's way with his divisional artillery safely behind the front line is a huge advantage for the human. Further, if you want to talk about "historical realism", divisional artillery almost never operated 10km behind the front. Like 99.9% of the time = almost never. The reasons it was called divisional artillery were: 1) it was organic to the division; and 2) it historically operated usually within 5km or so of the front line (i.e., within the same 10km hex as the rest of the division). Further, the divisional artillery always consumed the bulk of its division's supply. Always. So, detaching the divisional artillery into separate units gives the human an enormous supply advantage that absolutely never existed historically.

So, points #1 and #3 are directly under the influence of the scenario designer. Point #2 is a fully justifiable "house rule" that will admittedly probably never be adopted by human players. Oh well. But Points #1 and #3 can and should be implemented. And that is what I mean by not distracting the scenario designer by all the verbiage (a never-ending stream of it) reagarding making things "historical". Ugh.

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 293
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/23/2009 9:09:28 PM   
MechFO

quote:

Point #3 is a HUGE problem worth addressing by the scenario designer. Way back months ago when the playtest of Directive 21 first started and the first threads were formed, I made my position clear regarding allowing the human player to have lots of ants like divisional HQs and panzer regiments. I'm especially opposed to the divisional HQs. Elmer has his divisional artillery organic to his divisions. So should the human player. Further, allowing the human player to stand out of harm's way with his divisional artillery safely behind the front line is a huge advantage for the human. Further, if you want to talk about "historical realism", divisional artillery almost never operated 10km behind the front. Like 99.9% of the time = almost never. The reasons it was called divisional artillery were: 1) it was organic to the division; and 2) it historically operated usually within 5km or so of the front line (i.e., within the same 10km hex as the rest of the division). Further, the divisional artillery always consumed the bulk of its division's supply. Always. So, detaching the divisional artillery into separate units gives the human an enormous supply advantage that absolutely never existed historically.

The max range of all Soviet Divisional artillery is 1 hex, so they don't have the supply burn problem. Also one can't order the division NOT to fire in support. If it is dug in it will fire by default. This is IMO game breaking. What I agree with is that the present arrangement artificially shields the players arty from harm in retreats (the only time when arty losses really accumulated). Alternatives might be switching to 1 hex guns for German Div arty and integrating them or else giving very few Art guns as replacements. The Germans did have a much more flexible artillery system compared with the Russians and I don't think the present arrangement is bad in this respect. I^d go for sharply reduced replacement numbers instead.

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 294
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/23/2009 11:51:10 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

shields the players arty from harm in retreats

I also can't get the field pieces to get stuck in the mud, or freeze in the ice. The idea of reducing replacement numbers is a remedy, and the 105 and 150 howitzers that make up the bulk of the divisional artillery are on the list of items to monitor. For these items I'd like to see some end files, but that might be a bit much to ask for. In lieu of those, I'll go with whatever we end up with after a reasonable time period.

Along those lines we have already reduced the number of trucks, horses and 251/1's that the Axis receive as replacements. Returns from the playtesters for the period of the first 4-6 months of the campaign show that the Axis suffer no transport difficulties in the scenario. Further reductions are probably warranted, but we have to be careful that the Axis don't end up with hundreds of units with a movement allowance of 1 half way thru the scenario.

The Panzer Divisions and Artillery are an advantage to the Human Player, as they were in the campaign. To reduce the effectiveness of these items is to neuter the Axis force. Elmer has plenty of artillery units with 2-3 hex ranges, and he uses them to great effect.

No worries about us maintaining our focus on making Elmer the best he can be. It's always been the #1 priority. The more looks we can get at in-game situations, the more it helps. Other issues have mostly been cooked many times over the years, but they usually end up tasting the same. However, every now and then we get something very good. Thanks.

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 295
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/24/2009 1:26:04 AM   
vahauser

quote:

quote:

I also can't get the field pieces to get stuck in the mud, or freeze in the ice. The idea of reducing replacement numbers is a remedy, and the 105 and 150 howitzers that make up the bulk of the divisional artillery are on the list of items to monitor. For these items I'd like to see some end files, but that might be a bit much to ask for. In lieu of those, I'll go with whatever we end up with after a reasonable time period.

Along those lines we have already reduced the number of trucks, horses and 251/1's that the Axis receive as replacements. Returns from the playtesters for the period of the first 4-6 months of the campaign show that the Axis suffer no transport difficulties in the scenario. Further reductions are probably warranted, but we have to be careful that the Axis don't end up with hundreds of units with a movement allowance of 1 half way thru the scenario.

The Panzer Divisions and Artillery are an advantage to the Human Player, as they were in the campaign. To reduce the effectiveness of these items is to neuter the Axis force. Elmer has plenty of artillery units with 2-3 hex ranges, and he uses them to great effect.

No worries about us maintaining our focus on making Elmer the best he can be. It's always been the #1 priority. The more looks we can get at in-game situations, the more it helps. Other issues have mostly been cooked many times over the years, but they usually end up tasting the same. However, every now and then we get something very good. Thanks.

Here is another alternative to consider (or perhaps in addition to the above).

Step 1: fold all the 105mm (and other 1-hex range) divisional artillery into the divisions
Step 2: fold all the 150mm (and other 2-hex range) divisonal artillery into the corps HQs
Step 3: remove all the divisional HQs

This accomplishes a several good things. 1) It removes a lot of map clutter by getting rid of lots of units. 2) It reduces player abuses. 3) It removes divisional HQs from the supply equation (which is a good thing) and places supply focus on corps HQs (which is more appropriate given the scale of the game). 4) It places the bulk of the divisional artillery more historically "in harm's way" during combat. 5) It streamlines the game by making overall Axis force management issues simpler (thus potentially speeding play).

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 296
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/24/2009 11:29:28 AM   
MechFO

quote:

quote:

quote:

Here is another alternative to consider (or perhaps in addition to the above).

Step 1: fold all the 105mm (and other 1-hex range) divisional artillery into the divisions
Step 2: fold all the 150mm (and other 2-hex range) divisonal artillery into the corps HQs
Step 3: remove all the divisional HQs

This accomplishes a several good things. 1) It removes a lot of map clutter by getting rid of lots of units. 2) It reduces player abuses. 3) It removes divisional HQs from the supply equation (which is a good thing) and places supply focus on corps HQs (which is more appropriate given the scale of the game). 4) It places the bulk of the divisional artillery more historically "in harm's way" during combat. 5) It streamlines the game by making overall Axis force management issues simpler (thus potentially speeding play).

Both gun types have a 2 hex range, though there are equivalent equiptment types with 1 hex range (in the case of of the 105mm one would have to go with the Russian 107mm gun).

I don't think folding Art into Korps HQ's alone will work since IMO you are missing one important factor. You seem to assume that the default state of a German Division will be as one unit. While I haven't played long enough to find out myself, I strongly suspect this will not be the case in the second half of the war. What I think will happen is that after the initial phase is over, splitting up the division into 2-3 subunits will become the norm since this is the only way to deal with the length of frontage and/or construct a defense with any depth. Also the Germans will probably need to do this in 42 already in order to form concentrations IF they go for a southern strategy in 41 (anybody done this yet?). If this is in fact the case, then having heavily reinforced Korps HQ's will not be do much good, since they cant cover enough frontage by themselves.

A possible alternative I see is deleting the Div HQ's, and splitting up the longer ranged Art between the Korps HQ and new artificial Art Br (f.e. 1 independant Art unit for every 3? Divisions). Doesn't reduce the unit count quite as much, but provides the flexibility the Germans IMO need to have a chance in the later part of the game.

I agree that the unit count is (too) high, but IMO this is an inevitable side effect of the chosen hex size and I don't see any solutions that don't have severe side effects.

< Message edited by MechFO -- 2/24/2009 11:39:54 AM >

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 297
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/24/2009 1:32:33 PM   
Telumar

On another issue which bothered me also in FitE etc - the Mud Season's cease fire. I see no reason for a imo totally unrealistic if not surrealistic cease fire as enough design tools exist to simulate the effects:

- drastically reducing the supply radius (the german more than the soviet)
- reducing force supply (the german more than the soviet)
- a slight shock, in 41 this would mean the Germans go down to 105, later in the war then below 100, let's say -10%. The soviet side too, but less drastically.
- force pestilence, maybe 1 or 2%
- maybe fix the german supply units by a formation orders event
- additionally a random begining and end of the mud season to prevent any gameyness

Any thoughts or comments about this?

< Message edited by Telumar -- 2/24/2009 1:33:56 PM >

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 298
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/24/2009 2:16:38 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telumar

On another issue which bothered me also in FitE etc - the Mud Season's cease fire. I see no reason for a imo totally unrealistic if not surrealistic cease fire as enough design tools exist to simulate the effects:

- drastically reducing the supply radius (the german more than the soviet)
- reducing force supply (the german more than the soviet)
- a slight shock, in 41 this would mean the Germans go down to 105, later in the war then below 100, let's say -10%. The soviet side too, but less drastically.
- force pestilence, maybe 1 or 2%
- maybe fix the german supply units by a formation orders event
- additionally a random begining and end of the mud season to prevent any gameyness

Any thoughts or comments about this?

Um, all of these are in effect except for pestilence. And rather than mess with pestilence, we are most likely going to do away with cease-fires. Elmer doesn't handle them well, and humans handle them too well.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 299
RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread - 2/24/2009 2:25:42 PM   
vahauser

quote:

Both gun types have a 2 hex range, though there are equivalent equiptment types with 1 hex range (in the case of of the 105mm one would have to go with the Russian 107mm gun).

I don't think folding Art into Korps HQ's alone will work since IMO you are missing one important factor. You seem to assume that the default state of a German Division will be as one unit. While I haven't played long enough to find out myself, I strongly suspect this will not be the case in the second half of the war. What I think will happen is that after the initial phase is over, splitting up the division into 2-3 subunits will become the norm since this is the only way to deal with the length of frontage and/or construct a defense with any depth. Also the Germans will probably need to do this in 42 already in order to form concentrations IF they go for a southern strategy in 41 (anybody done this yet?). If this is in fact the case, then having heavily reinforced Korps HQ's will not be do much good, since they cant cover enough frontage by themselves.

A possible alternative I see is deleting the Div HQ's, and splitting up the longer ranged Art between the Korps HQ and new artificial Art Br (f.e. 1 independant Art unit for every 3? Divisions). Doesn't reduce the unit count quite as much, but provides the flexibility the Germans IMO need to have a chance in the later part of the game.

I agree that the unit count is (too) high, but IMO this is an inevitable side effect of the chosen hex size and I don't see any solutions that don't have severe side effects.

Okay, Norm gave the 105s a 2-hex range, but operationally they should only have a 1-hex range (they almost never operated more than about 5-6km from the front). And if the 105s are given to the divisions, then at least when the divisions must divide later in the game to cover wider frontages, then the breakdowns will at least have some organic 105s immediately available (and not dependent on other artillery units that might not be locally available).

[As an aside, I'm still bothered about all those security regiments, too. They should be all folded into divisions and required to divide just like the infantry divisions. Further, having those independent security regiments gives the human player a ready source of throw-away battalions to be used in soak-off attacks against strong Soviet positions (in other words, ANTs), which is a serious abuse. Further, giving all those independent security regiments a proficiency superior to German infantry regiments (which are only 64% proficiency when divided from their parent divisions) is just wrong. Please fold all those independent regiments (and most especially those inferior-quality SS infantry "Volksdeutsch" abominations) into their parent divisions.]

(in reply to MechFO)
Post #: 300
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Directive 21 playtesters thread Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI