Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Website is now up!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Website is now up! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Website is now up! - 5/9/2002 9:19:09 PM   
Paul Vebber

A couple screen shots and info - more to come!

http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/KorsunPocket/
Post #: 1
- 5/10/2002 6:09:21 AM   
Hartmann

Site looks great! 8)

Hmm, and the game looks really like TAO2 (which I loved, so this doesn't hurt). :)
I wonder how one could ever hope to win this one as the Germans, though ...

Hartmann

(in reply to Paul Vebber)
Post #: 2
- 5/10/2002 7:00:09 AM   
Peter Fisla

Looks great Paul !

Post #: 3
Finally! - 5/10/2002 8:40:59 AM   
mariovalleemtl

Finally:)

I just hope the 2 players would be able to play at the same time and not one after the other.

Post #: 4
- 5/10/2002 9:28:32 AM   
Fred98

I am looking forward to this.

But i the meantime .....still waiting for Uncommon Valour

Post #: 5
Looks Great! - 5/10/2002 4:02:41 PM   
Matthew Urch

We were beginning to wonder if it would ever happen!

There's alot of TAO2 gamers over at the BLitz who will be very glad to see development of this game is continuing, and seems to be at quite an advanced stage. The look of the game seems close to TAO2, but better! The combat screen shows some interesting changes, new terrain types and perhaps a some new rules about attacking over rivers. The large number of bullets for the German units may indicate a welcome simplification of the bullet / ACC / DCC system.

Anyways, well done to all concerned, keep working hard!

Matthew Urch

Post #: 6
Great! - 5/11/2002 1:31:11 AM   
U2

Hi!

Also very impressed by the look of the game and its very nice webpage. I sure will buy it but I am still concerned for I bought the first game ( Ardennes ) when it came out for 40 bucks and I think I played it for 2 hours and then left it alone. But SSG/Matrix seems to promise improvements so I guess I have to trust them. Sure hope that Matrix will have a good look at the product before it is released to avoid another Fortress Europe disaster.

Good luck:)

Dan

Post #: 7
SSG - 5/12/2002 6:43:05 AM   
Ralph1961

I do not think that anyone has to worry about Korsun Pocket being a semi-completed game. All anyone has to do is download and play through TAO version 2.4 to get an idea of how Korsun will play.
I have been playing TAO intermitantly since its release and I still learn things about the game. With SSG in charge the game will be a polished product that can be purchased with no qualms.
I look foward to Korsun and hope that many other gamers will join me in buying it to ensure future volumes of the decisive battles series.

Ralph

Post #: 8
I agree - 5/12/2002 1:59:08 PM   
U2

Hi Ralph

At first I was just worried because the game seemed to have appeared from nowhere and at the beta stage. But because it is SSG and Matrix ( a company that will help you for sure ) I no longer feel that way. I just wanted to remind Matrix to check it like any other game. I would also like to hope that my fellow wargamers will buy this product so to that we can see more games in this decisive battle series.

Dan

Post #: 9
Observations - 5/13/2002 12:12:27 PM   
leaderx

The dynamics of the battle itself appear to have changed a bit in relation to TAO2, the German armor has superb supplies compared to the Russian units displayed, with 4 bullet armor the German will really be able to wage some good non-static warfare, giving those units a major advantage when breaking through, those 1 bullet Russian units should die in no time when cut off. Thus the German is gaining a significant advantage, at least in the breakthrough phase of an attack with such supplies, even if the numbers don't look very even. The screen shot shows 55 Russian vs. 41 German units so that isn't that significant of an advantage if the German armor is of superior quality. Note that all those German armored units not only have 4 bullets, they also have 4 steps, now those are going to be some tough bastards. There also appear to be some changes in the air support/interdiction/transport pool/replacements system, with two running totals displayed below these in the screen shot. I'd like to think that the before mentioned will now be drawn from a total pool of more then one turn, instead of like in TAO2 where you HAVE to use for example x number of replacements on x turn or you lose them.

As Matthew mentioned changes in terrain types are also evident, the impact of these remains to be seen. Hill terrain is apparently using the forest CRT moved up a shift (a 1.5-1 in forest is equivalent to 2-1 in hill from the screenshot). There appear to be at least 3 or 4 types of bodies of water now, three different sizes of streams/rivers and there are a few lakes/reservoirs that appear as if they occupy an entire hex. From the screenshot which shows the new combat screen, it is evident that one of the new bodies of water, I would suppose that is a stream, has no effect on the tactical shift, but does bring upon a decrease in attack strength as is depicted.

Many features appear to have been made more userfriendly/easier to figure out, % divisional integrity of each unit on attack and defense is now shown clearly when the units are selected (or attacked), clear distinction between single and double dice, more information is displayed on the selected hex (the exact amount of interdiction/damage, whether it's supplied or not) etc. I just hope they haven't added too many things clunking up the screen, I think that people should read the manual if they want to know the difference between a white and red dice result, etc, I mean that is just basic stuff.

One thing I really like though, that appears to have been clarified is the armor vs. infantry modifier, now this is clearly depicted as a new shift in the combat screen.

Another small change I can see from the screenshot is that now when two units are selected they apparently can leave a heavy SP (2 defense value), I wonder if 3 units can leave a 3 strength one, etc.

The selected units screen appears to big enough for 5 units to fit, perhaps stacks can now have more then 3 units in them.

Infantry now has some major legs when using forced march (those 10 OP Russian units show 16 OP's of movement on forced march).

The site says there will be networking support..can't wait for those endless nights of TAO3 online play..I just hope a save feature is integrated to the network play. Just about all wargames of this type fail to include a save game feature for directplay, which is hard to understand, is it really so hard to put a save game feature.

Post #: 10
Ooops - 5/13/2002 12:16:14 PM   
leaderx

Hmmm..what did I do, why did my post come out in italics, I didn't select that..oh well.

Post #: 11
I tried TAO2 - 5/14/2002 2:46:53 AM   
U2

Hi Guys

Since I bought TAO years ago I lost interest in the game very quickly as I wrote earlier. I dont know how but I missed the TAO2 version that is availible for download. I tried it today and gave the game and its engine another try. I must say that I am impressed and I cant wait for the Korsun battle to arrive. With the further improvements promised it should be excellent.

I tried my first HPS game yesterday and it just happened to be PZ CMPGNS 6 Korsun and I did not like it at all. I always wondered if I had missed anything with HPS and now I know.

If the game sells enough copies so that another game could be produced I would vote for Kursk 43 or maybe Berlin 45 or the Soviet summer offensive 1944. I really hope SSG will continue this project.

Dan

Post #: 12
- 5/16/2002 6:21:17 AM   
Matthew Urch

Dan

If you want to try TAO2 2.4 to see how good it plays PBEM, and brush up your skills prior to Korsun pocket , why not check out the Blitz website, home to a very active TAO2 ladder!

[url]www.theblitz.org[/url]

See you there, hopefully!

Matthew

(Blitz Classic wargames ladder custodian)

Post #: 13
- 5/18/2002 7:09:33 PM   
U2

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Matthew Urch
[B]Dan

If you want to try TAO2 2.4 to see how good it plays PBEM, and brush up your skills prior to Korsun pocket , why not check out the Blitz website, home to a very active TAO2 ladder!

[url]www.theblitz.org[/url]

See you there, hopefully!

Matthew

(Blitz Classic wargames ladder custodian) [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks! I sure will.

Dan

Post #: 14
Follow on Battle - 5/30/2002 4:38:52 AM   
pxreiman

How about Rommel and the African Campaign? lots of tanks - seems built for the TAO system.

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> Website is now up! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI