Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help - 2/24/2009 1:49:15 AM   
V22 Osprey

I'm trying to try out random battles, but get creamed early on.The Computer always generates me in the worst area possible- surrounded by rivers and/or mountains with no near by cities.My early forces get wasted by enemy Armored Cars and light tank but early on I can't produce armor without risking low supply with only only 1 City.I need help on what to do early on in a random game.
Post #: 1
RE: Help - 2/24/2009 3:57:32 AM   
Jeffrey H.

One thing you can do is to try different regimes within a generated map to get one that is not so isolated, tedious but it works. If you are playing two regimes, you can check 'mirror map' and that will make things essentially even on start up. Lastly, just keep regenrating the random maps until you get one you like.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 2
RE: Help - 2/24/2009 6:01:10 AM   
Grymme

There are basicly three possiblities. Strange map settings, inexperienced play or bad luck. Maybe you could send a screenshot of your starting position. and we can tell you if its normal.

Game settings
- Map size. If its 20*20 or less the AI will come on you very quickly.
- Number of cities. More cities/regime obviously means more cities near your starting location. But the same for the AI.
- Road structure. If you set this at the highest from the start all cities will be connected by roads from the start. Then you will not have this issue of never getting to city 2. But then again, its fun having to build roads yourself.
- River, Swamp, forest and mountain settings. The higher these are obviously the more difficult terraín.
- AI setting. AI+ and AI++ needs a lot of experience to beat. It took me a while to constantly beat the AI at normal level.

Some beginner advice
- Scouting parties doesnt need to be big to explore. You can send out just 10 rifles with a horse or an armoured car with or without 5 inf on. I even start dividing my HQ on t1 and send out 1 staff corps in different directions to scout quickly. Dont forget to send reinforcement when the enemy comes close though.
- Horses are best and easiest if you want to move quickly in difficult terrain. They dont cost much supply either. 1 horse can carry 10 inf.
- Dont forget to build lots of engineers if you dont have any roads. Build units of 20-40 engineeers with horses that build roads and bridges towards the closest city.
- Another trick is to build a transport airplane and some paratroopers (a couple will do). Next turn make them airdrop next to the city you want to take and take the city on the 3rtd turn. Good for jumping over to other islands.
- The fastest moving unit in the game is the armoured car. So they are very good for scouting. Only in good terrain though.
- Keep plenty of supply and see to it that your units are close enouqh for your HQ to get supply. (generally 7 hexes i think) Rivers cut supply. Roads carry supply. Build roads in the direction you want to go.

If you post a screenshot i can give you more specific advice.

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 3
RE: Help - 2/24/2009 7:20:48 AM   
LazyBoy

If you use the para drop option, once you capture the city create an HQ and assign the city to it.
Produce a few supplies, a couple staff and what ever you need to continue exploring, ie engineers.

Hope this helps

(in reply to Grymme)
Post #: 4
RE: Help - 2/24/2009 12:47:15 PM   
Joshuatree

I agree with Grymme, also there might be some inexperience on your side (no offence). There were many times I created a random map, and then when I got to look at my starting position I thought: "oh oh I'm doomed". Nevertheless, I usually play on, and lo and behold, I usually win too. (on normal AI that is).
So yes it is possible, even when you start with a disadvantage.
The AI *will* create armored cars and light tanks early on, if you don't have these, try to use the terrain to your advantage such as woods and hills, mountains. Then the AI will try to cut you off from supply and encircle you. That also means that you can encircle him (uhm, it?). Even light tanks and armored cars will cook off if you attack from multiple hexes with Inf. and AT guns/ bazooka's, especially when they are at a low readiness. 
Personally I don't create maps with just one AI anymore, at least two AI's is more fun I think.

Well, in the end it's a race to conquer the cities, if the AI has a *lot* more then you have... you're into a lot of trouble. Then again, you can always outwit him/it. If he has a lot of planes and you can't afford them, build Flak (cheaper and costs less supply) mobilize them and keep your troops around them. If he has lots of tanks and you can't afford them, build AT's and use the terrain to your advantage.
And ofcourse, build engineers (30-50 with some horses, trucks) because you must build roads.... but you already knew that ofcourse.

(in reply to LazyBoy)
Post #: 5
RE: Help - 2/24/2009 2:51:22 PM   
V22 Osprey

Well I took the advice, managed to conquer 3 other cities by building a road thru the mountains with engineers.Sadly they were only small villages so I still couldn't produce a good enough force and got destroyed in a clash of the 3 other AIs.Tonight I will try another battle and post a screenshot.

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 6
RE: Help - 2/24/2009 4:49:23 PM   
Joshuatree

Hm, okay, you *do* keep your troops suppleid don't you? (stupid question, but you never know...) And you *do* upgrade don't you?
Well just maybe you really are at a great disadvantage, and sometimes it's really hard to win. Post a screenshot please, I wonder what your units look like.
Then again, be glad you have a game where the AI is able to clobber you

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 7
RE: Help - 2/24/2009 7:27:38 PM   
henri51

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joshuatree

Hm, okay, you *do* keep your troops suppleid don't you? (stupid question, but you never know...) And you *do* upgrade don't you?
Well just maybe you really are at a great disadvantage, and sometimes it's really hard to win. Post a screenshot please, I wonder what your units look like.
Then again, be glad you have a game where the AI is able to clobber you

Just in case, don't throw units in to battle on the move that they are created, because they will have low experience and maybe readiness. Let them sit for a move or more and they will be stronger.If they win a battle they will gain experience and be still stronger.

Henri

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 8
RE: Help - 2/27/2009 4:51:40 AM   
Mike Dubost

Something else you might try would be to increase city size. I find that the extra resources help both me and the AI.

I would also urge that you consider not selecting full first level technology in your setup. This gives room for some "technological surprises" by you and the AI, and also means that the AI has to work up to tanks, when you can be working on ATGs.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 9
RE: Help - 2/27/2009 8:33:19 AM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Dubost

Something else you might try would be to increase city size. I find that the extra resources help both me and the AI.

I would also urge that you consider not selecting full first level technology in your setup. This gives room for some "technological surprises" by you and the AI, and also means that the AI has to work up to tanks, when you can be working on ATGs.

The computer is very fast at tech research if you do not play on tiny maps with hardly any cities. It also fights better with an actual economic base. Little maps with hardly any cities are bad for the computer usually.

(in reply to Mike Dubost)
Post #: 10
RE: Help - 2/27/2009 7:34:12 PM   
Jeffrey H.

Another option would be to give yourself and everybody else two regimes, that way even if you get stuck in a bad position on one, you can recover with the other regime. The chances are almost nil that you could get stuck in two bad positions. Almost.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 11
RE: Help - 3/1/2009 4:32:58 PM   
V22 Osprey

Ok, here is my current game:

1v1
Mirror Map
Tell me if I'm doing pretty good for noob.

North:
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/PanzerVIZeke/UO0002-2.jpg

My center Offensive:
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/PanzerVIZeke/UO0003-2.jpg

South, the 3 units will advance south and take some cities but I'm worried of a flank attack:
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/PanzerVIZeke/UO0004-1.jpg

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 12
RE: Help - 3/1/2009 5:33:17 PM   
timberwolf15

Osprey, I bought the game too recently and have been having a lot of the same problems - main thing I want is enjoyment I play Advanced Tactics to have some fun so therefore what I do is EDIT a Random scenario once it has been created in the event I don't like how it look or in the event I don't have the time/energy to micromanage everything so that I might win... So this is what you can do:

First, Click on Random Scenario then create whatever type of scenario you want regarding the size and terrain types BEFORE clicking on "MALE" I suggest also making sure Block Center is on - has a green check and that Full First level Teck is off - Red .. has no check. Also, make sure all the rest of the options on this screen are red with NO green checks - keep things simple.. now click on make. (There is a reason to not allow the Mirror Map option to be green this will be covered shortly but you may eventually always choose Mirror Map) Ok so now you have clicked on make and have Made your map. Click OK on the map made succesfully pop up window now you see the screen showing a group of SETTINGS the OPPONENTS a small MINI MAP of your map and then the SCENARIO DESCRIPTION.

Ok good job so now you can use the benefit of the EDIT Scenario option available once you create a scenario. At the Bottom of the screen are two taps edit and start - Click on EDIT:

The first thing I would do when you click on EDIT is to save it call it something like Osprey edit 1 - Save it by clicking on the System Options button the second button from the LEFT holding your mouse over the buttons reveals what they are. Click on System Options (the blue pc button) Then at the next screen click on SAVE its on the Right side of the screen above the RED Quit button. Ok now create a folder you are in the scenarios folder name the folder "Osprey" for example - you will be creating a sub folder in the folder scenarios. Double click this folder osprey and save your created scenario inside this folder - you automatically save it in this folder because you double clicked on the Osprey folder so you dont have to do anything. name this scenario osprey fly 1 for example. Click on save and you are back at the previous window click on the oranage arrow near the word System Options. Great now you back at this screen again. What we are going to do now is tweak this baby so its playable and then save it. Each time you do something major to this scenario - major changing like the landscapes or adding towns save it in case you mess something up and don't want to start over from scratch. Save each change if you want to a different file name but maybe keep the names similiar for example save you first change to osprey fly 1 a then the next save osprey fly 1 b .. etc.

You save things the same way we did before as explained above but you dont have to create a new directory called osprey matter of fact dont just use one directory for all this for example the directory osprey so everything you do is in one directory. Ok so now you know how to save stuff you do - real quick before you learn how to tweak stuff let's go over how to play a scenario you have created and tweaked. Make sure the scenario you have created has been saved as outlined above then get back to the main AT screen where it reads Load Scenario Create Scenario Load Saved Game Random Scenario etc. This is where you started. ok once here maybe try it now click on Load scenario then double click on the osprey folder you made. then click on the file osprey file 1 or whatever you called it making sure its highlighted and click on OPEN or you can just double click on the osprey file 1 and it will open automatically.

Ok good we are almost at the point where we can make AT really shine for you. now your back at this same screen again with the start and edit buttons it has been saved so you can do whatever you want to with it and save it (to a different file name if you want) and then play it by clicking on the Load Scenario button on that other screen.

Ok so now click on EDIT so we can make this scenario work for you. Ok find where the factions are located hold your mouse over a faction and figure out the names of the factions making note of each name. Now if you want the factions apart from each other you can choose Mirror Map making sure it has a green check when you create a scenario - I dont like doing this all the time cause it slams the Factions on the map edges I like to be able to completely surround my opponent if I feel like it but anyway you may prefer to like the Mirror Maps better. if you do then Make sure Mirror Map is green and that Block Center has a green check to. I would also suggets not putting in any roads make roads read 0 on the slider bar when you create a scenario.

Ok so now you are within the EDIT thing and looking at your map and you have made note of the Faction names. Now we will start tweaking. Do any or all of these tweaks that you like I'm gonna cover quite a few that I know of and you pick which ones when and how you want to do them. There are more but I don't know how to do them.

Ok, at the top of this screen are white buttons click on the one that has REG next to it under Regimes on the left side of screen it shows the two names of the regimes you saw on the scenario you made now click on one of the names. More white buttons - now click on the white button that has NAME: next to it .. it will have NAME:(and the name of a Regime on your map) Click on this to rename the regime if you want. Once you have renamed this regime click on the other regime in order to rename it. ok great, well this does nothing for playability but it impresses the chicks. ok so now decide which regime you want to play then click on the white button that reads IS AI: it will say either IS AI:False or IS AI:True .. click it until it reads False and this means you will play this side when it reads True it means the AI plays it. You could just pick sides before you start the scenario this may be easier but you have to first of course know the name of each Regime you do this by clicking on edit at that other screen. Ok now at this same screen click on the white button with a solid color squad next to it this is how you change a regimes color. Notice too you can also give a Regime more Political points to start with by clicking on a button. ok this is all I do at this screen you may figure out how to do more at this screen more power to you.

Ok, Osprey we are only getting started in this tweaking .. ok so save your progress so far and get back to the screen that reads start and edit for the changes you have made and click on edit so we can edit some more stuff on this scenario. CLICK on the MAP .. white button to save your progress. the top left button up there reads MAP next to it. Once you save it get to the screen that shows the map and has white buttons on top its the same screen you saw when you clicked on the White Button having REG next to it.

Once at this screen click on the Button having MAP next to it - you probably dont have to cause your probably this screen anyway but just do it so we can edit the map !!!

Ok to the right of the white buttons which are above the map that is showing is a little area that reads WHAT? and has landshapes Roads Regimes under it. ok so now Click on landshapes in this WHAT? area. The landshapes area pops up click on plains the Sprites area pops up click on default plane (the one at top) with this sprite highlihgted you can now left click on the map and get rid of unwanted mountains .. cant get rid of roads and rivers but you can change everything except towns to plains. Ok put planes where you want and then click on Light Forest you may have to first click on Landshapes then on Light Forest in the landshapes pop up then make sure the correct sprite (default plainlight forest is highlighted) then put light forest on your map. Click on the other sprite for light forest and its tropics put some around just to check em out. ok save your map as needed and get back to this screen Now we going to really make this scenario work for you also realize you can add other Landshapes too Heavy Forest Swamp Mountains do em all the same way you added trees. ADDING URBAN Land shapes does not give you areas you can get supplies and troops from please dont get ahead of the game here. It is possible to add these areas but its complicated. We will do this next.

Ok get back to this screen Under What? click on Loc Type Click on Town under the Loc Type pop up that is show. click on the map - do not panic - When it asks what is the people number type in THE NUMBER Zero NOT the letter o - THE NUMBER Zero .. click ok name the town osprey rocks click ok. You have just made a neutral town on your map that is worth 2000 points first one there gets it.

Ok here are the stats on these Loc Types it may be different it you make a scenario with say 20 towns and then add some more to them but these figures will be relative.

Town = 2000
Village = 500
City = 5000
Capitol = 10000

Minor Supply Base = 500 * only Political Points and Supplies provided here.

Ok so put these things on the map wherever you want so you dont have to creat 15 different maps until you get one you want and also to add playability to the maps you create. The other Loc Type do different things you can even put an airfield down.

There is probably a way to make for example a town initially owend already buy one side or the other but I havent figured that out yet. It may be in putting it inside a hex you already own I think that is the key. So the Scenarios are not so much of a headache osprey create a map get rid of any stupid mountains and what not in an unwanted area and then give your self say 2 or 3 minor supply dumps close to you so you can have a more enjoyable time or put a rive or mountains near the bad guy and see how he likes it.

The rivers are self explanitory click on them and read the highlights once a road is put down its permanent so make sure you save often and put roads down right also rivers may be able to be removed buy clicking over one you have placed when you have the river sprite enabled. Play around with the other white buttons and landshapes and loc types and try and figure out what they do and why we pay so much for a game that they cant have a manual for us to read about it in .. Thank GOD for the Forums and the internet. I would pay $20 more for a helpful hint manual that covers all the more pertinint info that one has to dig through the forums but anyway hope this helps..

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 13
RE: Help - 3/1/2009 5:40:18 PM   
timberwolf15

Osprey nice JPG's build ARTILLARY did you  research it make them with 2 trucks carrying capcity of 20 each that gives you 40 carrying .. then add 3 arty that takes 30 carrying then like 10 scouts = 40. Make two or three of these highly vulnerale units but they can devastate the enemy. The arty shoots 2 hexes so keep units between your arty and the bad guy your shooting at .. soften up a city before you blitz in .. pummble the flank attacks as you zoom your arty over to the weak spots in your line.. Lot of folks on here like horses with arty instead of trucks .. lot less supply strain .. I need the xtra mobility ... Good Job Soldier !!!

(in reply to timberwolf15)
Post #: 14
RE: Help - 3/1/2009 6:45:38 PM   
V22 Osprey

Well so far I've been using divebombers as my arty.

It seems the AI is focused on fighters, while I'm focused on ground attack aircraft.

Those SMGs in the Center(facing my ''Green Troops'') are killers to my infantry.Thats why I'm producing levelbombers to pound them to shreds.

< Message edited by V22 Osprey -- 3/1/2009 6:46:02 PM >

(in reply to timberwolf15)
Post #: 15
RE: Help - 3/2/2009 2:32:35 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: V22 Osprey

Ok, here is my current game:

1v1
Mirror Map
Tell me if I'm doing pretty good for noob.

North:
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/PanzerVIZeke/UO0002-2.jpg

My center Offensive:
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/PanzerVIZeke/UO0003-2.jpg

South, the 3 units will advance south and take some cities but I'm worried of a flank attack:
http://i361.photobucket.com/albums/oo58/PanzerVIZeke/UO0004-1.jpg

Are there 3 regimes in the game ? It looks like the corners are a different color.

I'd say you are on your way to victory.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 16
RE: Help - 3/2/2009 3:37:03 AM   
V22 Osprey

its just a mirrored 1v1 map.....the 3rd color is probably unconquered territory...

And I can't get cocky, because before I remebered I would think I'm gonna win but as my offensive starts hordes of enemy units counter attack.I may have strengthen my southern force as I think 3 divisions aren't enoguh.

< Message edited by V22 Osprey -- 3/2/2009 3:38:42 AM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 17
RE: Help - 3/2/2009 8:51:19 PM   
Joshuatree

quote:

Well so far I've been using divebombers as my arty.

It seems the AI is focused on fighters, while I'm focused on ground attack aircraft.

Those SMGs in the Center(facing my ''Green Troops'') are killers to my infantry.Thats why I'm producing levelbombers to pound them to shreds.

Hmm, right. First off all Divebombers cost a lot more than Arty, and use up a lot more supply. Divebombers kill tanks and guns, horses and trucks, but not so much inf. Levelbombers are primarily used for destroying enemy towns (bomb them to ruins as it were, they can't produce anything when they are at zero points) but they suck at destroying enemy units. Arty destroys inf, but excells at lowering their readiness.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 18
RE: Help - 3/2/2009 9:01:19 PM   
Joshuatree

Open ground, the terrain for armour of any kind, and rifles.

Looking good here, try to encircle him, attack from multiple sides, and try to keep your HQ fully staffed and close. And try to attack the city with Sub machine guns instead of Riflemen, they get 50% in sub urban terrain (and hills and woods, check their stats). Attack enemy armour with divebombers first, then an attack from multiple hexes.

Open ground, your Inf. is vulnerable there, do they have Anti Tank guns attached? Enemy armour eats up your Inf. faster then you can replace them.

(in reply to Joshuatree)
Post #: 19
RE: Help - 3/2/2009 9:02:41 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

its just a mirrored 1v1 map.....the 3rd color is probably unconquered territory...

And I can't get cocky, because before I remebered I would think I'm gonna win but as my offensive starts hordes of enemy units counter attack.I may have strengthen my southern force as I think 3 divisions aren't enoguh.

Sometimes a tactical retreat to consolidate your units and provide a few turns of buffer can make a big difference.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 20
RE: Help - 3/3/2009 1:10:55 AM   
V22 Osprey

Each unit gets:
50x Rifle
8x MG
4x Mortar
4x Bazooka

Armor I try to mix up with rifle divsions.I try to put meduim tanks where need.I will have heavy tanks soon so I can't wait to put them on the field.

Will try and post a screenshot tonight.

< Message edited by V22 Osprey -- 3/3/2009 1:11:07 AM >

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 21
RE: Help - 3/3/2009 3:07:44 AM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

Each unit gets:
50x Rifle
8x MG
4x Mortar
4x Bazooka

Armor I try to mix up with rifle divsions.I try to put meduim tanks where need.I will have heavy tanks soon so I can't wait to put them on the field.

Heh, watchout for those HT's they heavily drain supply, something to keep an eye on.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 22
RE: Help - 3/3/2009 11:06:02 PM   
Joshuatree

quote:

Each unit gets:
50x Rifle
8x MG
4x Mortar
4x Bazooka

Well this is just my personal opinion, and I'm not as seasoned as some other forum members... but a unit in my opinion may not exceed the 50 points, you have, uhm.... counting counting.... 66. Now if you stack two units on a hex *then* you have a stacking penalty. As stated in the manual, too many troops (defending or attacking) in a hex gets them a penalty. Don't remember the exact calculation, but more ain't better. So usually 50 points each unit, then you can stack them up to two units without a penalty. Because you may attack from one hex with 100 points without penalty again. From two hexes with 100 points again... From three hexes 150 points... and so on. Untill you attack from six hexes with the max. amount of points with the max. amount of bonus and no penalty. (good job Vic, no Über-stacks).
MG's are okay-ish. I've noticed that the AI tends to not attack if a unit has MG's attached to it. Especially when in rough terrain. But they get killed pretty soon in an attack. Bazooka's ditto. Mortars and Anti Tank guns rule. Mortar's up to 5-10 per unit, and AT ... well I put two of them in a unit. Really prevents enemy armour from eating up your troops. Mobilize them with horses, trucks or half tracks if you can.
A dedicated Inf unit for open terrain in my humble opinion would be: 30 inf, 5 MG's, 5 mortar's, 2 AT's = 50 points. (add three half tracks, but boy are they expensive)

If I don't know the exact terrain the unit is gonna fight in I put in some more Sub Machine guns, they really are better in woods and suburban terrain. Usually 15 Sub Machine guns and 15 Riflemen. For a unit dedicated to take a city it's Sub Machine guns all the way... 30-40 and no machine guns attached, only mortars.
Recently I've been experimenting with some sort of "Panzergrenadiere", a Inf unit with armour added. Armour means open ground so no Sub Machine guns, Rifles only. 20 Riflemen, 2 AT guns, 5 machine guns, and two armoured cars and three half tracks to keep them tracked = 45 points, so you can always add some more. Up till now they've done well, allbeit a bit expensive.

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI