Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Flight Sim Recommendation?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/2/2009 7:21:17 AM   
JudgeDredd

tbh I always found the missions in IL2 to be very soulless. I am almost certainly in the minority. It looks beautiful, but I just found myself thinking it was one scripted mission after another

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 31
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/2/2009 10:49:27 AM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

tbh I always found the missions in IL2 to be very soulless. I am almost certainly in the minority. It looks beautiful, but I just found myself thinking it was one scripted mission after another

Same here. The pacific mission pack was marginally interesting but generally I never really liked the IL2 missions. The main reason I play flight sims is dynamic campaign.

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 32
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/2/2009 2:42:17 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarganto

I finally got my hands on IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 and to make a long story short: That's not what I wanted.
Sure, there are "dynamic campaigns" but still, the missions are assigned to me and I don't have any freedom in picking my own targets.

But at least it's a decent simulation. Still, I have no joystick but it is "playable" with mouse and keyboard...but I will surely get a new joystick and maybe after that BOB2 or CFS3 with Mods/Addons. They seem to have that "choose your own mission on the map" feature instead of generating random missions to simulate a "dynamic" campaign.

LOL, sure you do, you can do what ever you want, the only thing will be, if there are any targets around, but most maps have lots of little goodies lying around, myself, I love to go train hunting

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 33
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/2/2009 4:30:27 PM   
wdboyd

Hi,

Missions actually were assigned to pilots in WWII. Perhaps you aren't really interested in a combat simulation.

Regardles, with IL-2, one can build custom missions and link them together to form a unique campaign. Doing this, one can set things(missions) up any way desired. Performance in a mission can effect future missions in a campaign. The front lines can be impacted as a result. Thus, ones performance provides campaign dynamics.

It is unlikely you could have checked out all of the capabilities and options offered in IL-2 1946 in such a short time. But, to each his own.

Oh, I think you will find the flight models in the CFS3 mods much more challenging to fly. Especially, the Mediterranian Air War (MAW) mod. Although you can set things on "easy" for a lesser flight simulation experiance or to use during early flight training.

< Message edited by wdboyd -- 3/2/2009 4:38:24 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 34
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/2/2009 5:10:10 PM   
JudgeDredd

I've had IL2 and every expansion thereafter and I can honestly say I did not get on with any of them. I had hoped with each new release that they managed to inject some life into it...but I never saw it. A complete waste of £100 here.

I didn't buy it to make custom missions or campaigns. And the stock missions and stock campaigns were...well, as I said...souless. Wasn't there a new DGen put out by thrid party to give people "something to do" because the original DGen was very sparse on action??

(in reply to wdboyd)
Post #: 35
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/2/2009 6:04:34 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdboyd

Regardles, with IL-2, one can build custom missions and link them together to form a unique campaign. Doing this, one can set things(missions) up any way desired. Performance in a mission can effect future missions in a campaign. The front lines can be impacted as a result. Thus, ones performance provides campaign dynamics.

Then should there be plenty of missions & campaigns available over Internet?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to wdboyd)
Post #: 36
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/2/2009 6:56:43 PM   
Hertston

quote:

Missions actually were assigned to pilots in WWII. Perhaps you aren't really interested in a combat simulation.

I'm not sure that's quite the point, is it? A genuine dynamic campaign just adds another layer to the game; and the 'simulation' element of the missions is unaffected whether you happen to design them yourself as part of dynamic campaign or not. Certainly the campaign makes BoB 2, and helps you appreciate the overall context a lot better.

(in reply to wdboyd)
Post #: 37
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/2/2009 9:00:32 PM   
wdboyd

Hi,

Yes, there are a LOT of player created custom missions and campaigns available for download.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 38
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/2/2009 9:07:45 PM   
wdboyd

Hi,

I think I know what you are referring to. The stock missions tend to lack a sense of immersion.

I am a modder of Starshatter:TGS and was able to add a lot of life and immersion to my SolCom mods custom missions by adding new or unique voice-over files at key points or in reaction mission events.

It helps a lot to hear your enemy threaten to blast you to atoms or plead for mercy before you do the same to him.

There is a mission/campaign editor available for IL-2. I remember doing things to add player immersion when I was working on my old copy of IL-2 but I don't remember if I could add sound files to liven things up.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 39
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/2/2009 9:12:11 PM   
wdboyd

Hi,

You obviously like or prefer BOB 2. That's fine. I know nothing about it, but I do know that a custom mission builder can create better player immersion if there is a good mission/campaign editor for the simulation in question.

Does it include a mission/campaign editor?

< Message edited by wdboyd -- 3/2/2009 9:16:08 PM >

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 40
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/2/2009 10:06:24 PM   
Hertston

quote:

You obviously like or prefer BOB 2. That's fine. I know nothing about it, but I do know that a custom mission builder can create better player immersion if there is a good mission/campaign editor for the simulation in question.

Who, me? I've enjoyed both BoB2 and IL-2, but the OP had a specific requirement regarding dynamic campaigns which is why I made the recommendations I did.

quote:

Does it include a mission/campaign editor?

It includes a full strategic layer which is actually an excellent strategic BoB game in its own right, even if you never put hand to joystick. There is only one 'campaign', obviously the Battle of Britain, in which you manage resources and plan the raids or interceptions. You can then jump into the cockpit of any plane at any stage of any mission (or not, as you see fit).

< Message edited by Hertston -- 3/2/2009 10:10:28 PM >

(in reply to wdboyd)
Post #: 41
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/3/2009 1:40:48 PM   
Zakhal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston
It includes a full strategic layer which is actually an excellent strategic BoB game in its own right, even if you never put hand to joystick. There is only one 'campaign', obviously the Battle of Britain, in which you manage resources and plan the raids or interceptions. You can then jump into the cockpit of any plane at any stage of any mission (or not, as you see fit).

Its excellent but I cant really stand BoB anymore after 7 years of ww2ol. They really should use the game engine on som other ww2 campaign - perhaps even pacific one. If needed add statistically handled troops and navy as extra.

EDIT 1942 Pacific Air War actually had that kind of campaigns allthough in much smaller scale (more like single carrier battles).

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 3/3/2009 1:46:20 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 42
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/3/2009 7:22:33 PM   
Jeffrey H.

What I'd really like to see in a flight sim is a game based on the boardgame Airstrike/Air Superiority. That wouldn't really qualify as a flight sim per se, but I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it were available.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 43
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/3/2009 11:51:15 PM   
JagdFlanker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

What I'd really like to see in a flight sim is a game based on the boardgame Airstrike/Air Superiority. That wouldn't really qualify as a flight sim per se, but I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it were available.

what you'd like is Flight Commander II - now ancient but it's abandonware and free

http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/simulations/games_f_h/flight_commander_2.html

(in reply to Jeffrey H.)
Post #: 44
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/4/2009 5:59:56 PM   
Sarganto

Ok this is bullshit. I bought a new Joystick with Gameport connection, because I have an adapter from USB to Gameport. My Sidewinder didn't work that way, but I thought my joystick is broken.
Now it turns out, that the adapter is crap and my joystick could be perfectly ok

I'll go to the shop tomorrow, where I've bought the Gameport-adapter and throw it into the vendor's face.

empty signature fanboy

(in reply to JagdFlanker)
Post #: 45
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/4/2009 7:13:48 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flanker Leader

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeffrey H.

what you'd like is Flight Commander II - now ancient but it's abandonware and free

http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/simulations/games_f_h/flight_commander_2.html

Perfect, I nabbed it off that site since home of the underdogs went under. Thanks for the tip !

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to JagdFlanker)
Post #: 46
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/4/2009 8:06:22 PM   
Lützow

quote:

Ok this is bullshit. I bought a new Joystick with Gameport connection, because I have an adapter from USB to Gameport. My Sidewinder didn't work that way, but I thought my joystick is broken.
Now it turns out, that the adapter is crap and my joystick could be perfectly ok

I'll go to the shop tomorrow, where I've bought the Gameport-adapter and throw it into the vendor's face.

If your new stick is any good, it could been worth the purchase though.

About ten years ago I picked Falcon 4.0 along with a MS Force Feedback Joystick. The stick was quite expensive back to the day and on top of it not really applicable for flightsims - so I disposed it sometime. In 2004 I purchased FS 9 together with a Logitech Joystick and this one also lacked of accuracy, necessary for controlling aircrafts. Some months ago I obtained a Saitek and this one was worth every buck, as it gives me the degree of precision I demand.

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 47
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/5/2009 6:18:38 PM   
Sarganto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lützow

quote:

If your new stick is any good, it could been worth the purchase though.

About ten years ago I picked Falcon 4.0 along with a MS Force Feedback Joystick. The stick was quite expensive back to the day and on top of it not really applicable for flightsims - so I disposed it sometime. In 2004 I purchased FS 9 together with a Logitech Joystick and this one also lacked of accuracy, necessary for controlling aircrafts. Some months ago I obtained a Saitek and this one was worth every buck, as it gives me the degree of precision I demand.

The Joystick might be good, but I have to find an adapter, that will make it work on my Laptop. My Laptop only has USB-Ports, so I made a big mistake by buying that Gampeport-Joystick. Maybe I will resell it in ebay and buy a new one with USB-Port...

empty signature fanboy

(in reply to Lützow)
Post #: 48
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/5/2009 6:44:52 PM   
Zakhal

I thought they quit selling gameport joysticks years ago. The last soundcard that I bought that had gameport was sounblaster live value and I bought that card like 9 years ago.

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 49
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/5/2009 9:32:02 PM   
Marc von Martial

Uhmmm, it happend that I just today finished the boxartwork for a german IL2 '46 addon

(in reply to Sarganto)
Post #: 50
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/5/2009 10:08:22 PM   
JudgeDredd

oh god spare us! I couldn't (will not) possibly layout money for yet another add on for this series of games!

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 51
RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? - 3/6/2009 1:28:26 PM   
Marc von Martial

Don't worry, I think it will be released in Germany only.
Note that's not a Matrix product or so. Another client of mine.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 52
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Flight Sim Recommendation? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI