Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mouse/Game Lag

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Tech Support >> Mouse/Game Lag Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mouse/Game Lag - 3/1/2009 5:02:45 AM   
TheOx

Ok, so far game looks great. Moderate issue however. When I move the mouse to a edge of the map it waits a sec or two then starts scrolling. The flags stop waving too like I'm jammed up. Takes a sec or two to get a response when clicking on objects (but buttons seem ok). IF I mouse over a unit (getting the "Get Info" label) then send my mouse to somewhere else, the label reamins even in the "desktop" area in the bottom. Just general lagginess in getting my commands.

Running:
Vista x64
AMD Phenom 9600 QuadCore
Nvidia 8800GTS
4 GB RAM

Post #: 1
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/1/2009 5:41:11 AM   
Gil R.

I've found that the game can be this way on my 1GB, circa 2006 laptop when I've been using memory-intensive programs and repeatedly hibernating my computer instead of rebooting. I never have this problem if I fire up the game right after firing up the computer. Does this sound like it might be related to what you're experiencing?

(in reply to TheOx)
Post #: 2
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/1/2009 6:55:07 AM   
hadberz

I'm noticing this too. Scrolling in the tactical battles lags pretty bad on my computer. I also have lag when I select a province with large number of my troops in it and scroll the map. When I have nothing selected on the main map there is no lag at all.

Just curious, is it normal for CoG EE to use 559MB of memory, when I select tactical battles it jumps to 673MB.

Other then this bit of lag, the game is pretty awesome.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by hadberz -- 3/1/2009 6:56:17 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/1/2009 10:03:53 AM   
neil123

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz

I also have lag when I select a province with large number of my troops in it and scroll the map. When I have nothing selected on the main map there is no lag at all.

You might have already found this but the button B will toggle on/off the quick build icons for the province. Toggling them off on my system noticeably speeds up scrolling when a province is selected (even if there is nothing to build). It may help a little.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 4
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/1/2009 1:21:45 PM   
Erik Rutins

Also please try turning off anti-virus/security software and starting a new game. Some other customers reported that Ad-Aware and NOD32 was slowing down detailed combat for them.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to neil123)
Post #: 5
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/1/2009 1:22:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheOx
Running:
Vista x64
AMD Phenom 9600 QuadCore
Nvidia 8800GTS
4 GB RAM

Vista 64 is not officially supported, but could you post a DxDiag please? Do you have a lot of other software running in the background? Have you tried ending other processes to see if any of them are the cause of the lag?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to TheOx)
Post #: 6
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/1/2009 1:24:20 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: hadberz
I'm noticing this too. Scrolling in the tactical battles lags pretty bad on my computer. I also have lag when I select a province with large number of my troops in it and scroll the map. When I have nothing selected on the main map there is no lag at all.
Just curious, is it normal for CoG EE to use 559MB of memory, when I select tactical battles it jumps to 673MB.
Other then this bit of lag, the game is pretty awesome.

Looks like you're also running Vista 64-bit - can you also please try turning off all background apps?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 7
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/1/2009 2:54:08 PM   
TheOx

Not a problem, heres my dxdiag. I'll try shutting down some background processes and maybe even use Prifinity to force COG to be a high priority process.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/1/2009 5:54:15 PM   
hadberz

I been testing and discovered that when I shift and move the mouse there is no lag at all, in fact the mouse moves way too fast. This happens on both the main map and tactical battles map. I'm using the Logitech G5 laser mouse. I'm going to load CoG on my laptop, which runs Win XP, but uses a Logitech mouse also and see what happens.

The hotkey listing says "Shift + mouse Scroll map in direction of mouse cursor movement" when I scroll the mouse to the right the map moves to the left. Probably should say Scroll map in opposite direction of mouse cursor or something like that.

Post #: 9
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/1/2009 7:07:42 PM   
ericbabe

I suppose the map moves in the direction of the mouse cursor, but the viewer of the map moves in the opposite direction.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 10
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/2/2009 12:33:13 AM   
TheOx

Ok, I used Prifinity to make this a high priority process and utilize all 4 cores, but the problem persists. I have closed my anti-virus and most other non-essential background apps. No joy. The game freezes up when clicking units, moving the mouse from one province to another, clicking the arrows of the development advisor to scroll through provinces, etc. Pretty much unplayable for me ATM. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated.  

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 11
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/2/2009 3:30:58 AM   
TheOx

IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!!  Through a bit of testing, this issue only arises when "Advanced Economy" is selected! Everything runs normally when "Simple Economy" is on.  Unfortuntely,  I want to play with the Advanced Economy.

(in reply to TheOx)
Post #: 12
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/2/2009 12:02:11 PM   
hadberz

I have the same problem, I just tried advanced economy and everything was unplayable slow. Even using shift mouse was a slideshow. I wonder if this is a Vista 64 problem. I still got to test this on my laptop.

Does anyone know how to change the mouse cursor graphic? I want to use the normal windows mouse cursor. I had a problem like this with Warlords 3 were everything was super slow, but when using the windows mouse cursor Warlords 3 played fine. It's a shot in the dark, but I want to see if the same is happening with CoG EE.

(in reply to TheOx)
Post #: 13
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/2/2009 1:27:51 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheOx
IMPORTANT NOTE!!!!!  Through a bit of testing, this issue only arises when "Advanced Economy" is selected! Everything runs normally when "Simple Economy" is on.  Unfortuntely,  I want to play with the Advanced Economy.

Ok, that's very interesting information. I'll see if that sparks any ideas. So if you play with Simple Economy there's no lag at all anywhere?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to TheOx)
Post #: 14
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/2/2009 2:04:19 PM   
TheOx

No, game plays wonderfully and with no lag in Simple Economy. I can click provinces and have them light up instantly rather than waiting 2-3 seconds. Flags never stutter when waving, etc. I tried a variety of scenarioes and options and was definitely narrowed down to "Advanced Economy".

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Keep me informed, I want to play!

< Message edited by TheOx -- 3/2/2009 3:40:07 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/2/2009 9:36:42 PM   
ericbabe

That's useful information.  The advanced economy does do many calculations when updating the little bar at the bottom of the screen showing resources and resource income.  It's possible that there is something causing a slowdown on systems with a certain memory configuration during those calculations.

(in reply to TheOx)
Post #: 16
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/2/2009 9:39:34 PM   
TheOx

Suggestions? I'm open to everything, including ritualistic dance.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 17
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/3/2009 1:57:34 AM   
hadberz

I have no clue, CoG runs fine on my laptop it's 5 year old Dell 9100. My desktop should be pretty clean, I formatted last month when I installed a new harddrive. My memory is Corsair CM2X2048-8500C5D, it's the 2MB sticks that run at 1066 on my MSI motherboard.

What neil123 said up top about the b key does make a difference, but it shouldn't be this slow not when my 5 year old laptop is faster.

(in reply to TheOx)
Post #: 18
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/3/2009 8:59:39 AM   
moose1999

I can confirm these things.
There's an obvious lag when playing with advanced economy - same symptoms as mentioned above.
The lag disappears when playing simple economy.

Quick build icons produces lag on both simple and advanced economy.

regards,

Briny

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 19
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/3/2009 12:49:55 PM   
Erik Rutins

Briny Norman,

Can you post your DxDiag for us too please?

Guys, this is not going to be an instant fix since we're still working on duplicating it, but the info you've provided is extremely useful. Although Vista 64-bit is unsupported, I'm pretty confident this is fixable once we duplicate it here. I'd suggest playing in Simple Economy until we figure out what's causing this.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 20
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/3/2009 1:17:17 PM   
moose1999

Here's my DXDiag.
I'm running Windows XP, though, so it's not a Vista 64-bit problem here...

Attachment (1)

regards,

Briny

Post #: 21
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/3/2009 1:20:06 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks, that's actually good info to know that it's also happening on XP.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to moose1999)
Post #: 22
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/3/2009 1:59:05 PM   
CeltiCid

i have the same problem.

Im under Windows Vista 64.

Playing under simple economy and the game runs great.

But under Advanced economy, the movement over the map is frustating, and if you select "trade router" vision, you can close the game because if absolutly unplayable.

My computer have 4gb of Ram and a Core2Duo 2,13 ghz processor. And a nice Nvidia card.

Anmy idea to optimice will be greatly appreciate.

Post #: 23
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/3/2009 2:53:46 PM   
Erik Rutins

Also just to confirm, are you all still seeing the slowdown in Advanced Economy mode if you turn off your various security/anti-virus applications?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to CeltiCid)
Post #: 24
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/3/2009 3:04:25 PM   
CeltiCid

Yes, all background process closed and same issue.

Post #: 25
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/3/2009 3:09:56 PM   
moose1999

Ditto.

regards,

Briny

(in reply to CeltiCid)
Post #: 26
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/3/2009 6:04:30 PM   
hadberz

Yep, I turned off my anti-virus. Makes no difference.

Post #: 27
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/4/2009 12:41:00 AM   
ericbabe

There might be a difference in mouse-events causing a slowdown on certain systems.  The game refreshes the economic numbers in response to certain types of mousemoves, and normally this refresh doesn't happen that often.  It might be possible that different types of mouse hardware / drivers are sending the triggering message all the time.  To test this, I'll try making the economic refresh happen in response to something else that doesn't depend on the mouse.

(in reply to hadberz)
Post #: 28
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/4/2009 1:27:38 AM   
TheOx

Anything we could do in the meantime would be awesome. Could we perhaps disable our mouse to test this? Perhaps try another mouse? Something? Anything? LOL   Let me test your ideas!

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 29
RE: Mouse/Game Lag - 3/4/2009 6:21:03 AM   
Walloc

Odd question, but in the interrest of solving this. Do you guys with the issues have a wireless mouse?

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to TheOx)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Tech Support >> Mouse/Game Lag Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI