Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No widescreen resolution support?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> No widescreen resolution support? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 3:23:01 PM   
SlickWilhelm

Is it really true that the resolution is fixed at 1024x768 as stated in the Matrix announcement?

If so, that might be a deal breaker for me. All my monitors are wide screen now, and I'm getting tired of having to play some games in "fuzzy mode" because they don't support wide screen resolutions.

I can totally understand if this is the case with a game developed in 2005, but not 2008.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42
Post #: 1
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 3:28:40 PM   
Floyd

Yes, resolution is fixed and, IIRC, there is no 'window mode'.

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 2
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 3:36:19 PM   
Joram

FWIW, I have a widescreen monitor and it looks and plays perfectly fine.  If that's not good enough for you, then don't know what to tell you.

(in reply to Floyd)
Post #: 3
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 3:37:19 PM   
Roger Neilson II

I thnk the issue is that the original base game engine is from around 2005.... FOF and this one are significant programming variants on the base engine as far as I can tell so the game is, by the look of it, stuck becuase the engine would need a complete rewrite to give that functionality.

Its a pity as I don't like this fixed display at all. I guess its economics though.

Roger

Post #: 4
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 3:42:12 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joram

FWIW, I have a widescreen monitor and it looks and plays perfectly fine.  If that's not good enough for you, then don't know what to tell you.

Joram, I'm happy for you that it looks perfectly fine. But it's a fact that if you force a wide screen monitor to use any other resolution than it's native mode, it will most likely result in blurry or fuzzy graphics.

If you boot up Napolean's Campaigns in 1200x800 mode, and CoG in it's native resolution, you'll see what I mean.

I hate to sound like a naysayer, but I was really hoping for wide screen support in the Emperor's Edition.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 5
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 3:43:05 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson II

Its a pity as I don't like this fixed display at all. I guess its economics though.

Roger

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 6
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 3:43:53 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Wilhelm,

Yes, it is fixed at 1024x768 because the underlying graphical engine is the same (though the graphics are improved). With that said, I play this in 1680x1050 and 1280x1024 and 1440x900 and in all resolutions it does not look fuzzy. I think a lot of folks with widescreen monitors are not getting the most out of them.

A lot of widescreen monitors and video cards have options that will make fixed resolution games look great even when stretched, but if you don't use those and just leave all settings at the default, some of them don't automatically adjust. For example, of the three monitors I've tried this on, it looked great on two of them without any adjustments. On the third I had to change a scaling setting in my video driver (which did not mess up my other games) and it looked great on that one afterwards too.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Roger Neilson II)
Post #: 7
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 4:08:06 PM   
cdbeck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm
Joram, I'm happy for you that it looks perfectly fine. But it's a fact that if you force a wide screen monitor to use any other resolution than it's native mode, it will most likely result in blurry or fuzzy graphics.

If you boot up Napolean's Campaigns in 1200x800 mode, and CoG in it's native resolution, you'll see what I mean.

I hate to sound like a naysayer, but I was really hoping for wide screen support in the Emperor's Edition.

I was disappointed, as well, that there isn't widescreen or high resolution support, but I can say, with personal experience, that the graphics do not look blurry or fuzzy and the text is perfectly readable. I am running it on a 1440x900 laptop LCD screen, so the scaling is significant, and yet not overly noticeable. I am VERY picky about this, but lately I have gotten over some of my hangups with this because it is the only way to play certain classic games (pretty much anything offered by GoG.com, like Fallout, Captialism, etc).

However, I am using an nVidia 8600M GS, and nVidia has its own scaling program that may make this work better (in fact, with the latest driver update I would SWEAR that the scaling looks much clearer, but this is probably anecdotal and perception). YMMV.

EDIT: I do want to support Erik's statement that the graphics have been updated. The map is much crisper, the tactical battle terrain is sharp and clearly defined, the textures in general are much brighter and stand out against the backdrop. The overlays are also nicely done. The only improvement I am not crazy about is the animated sea in the naval battles, it creates a little slow-down for me and seems too "busy." However, you can disable it during the battles, it doesn't look as realistic, but helps me focus on the battle at hand.

SoM

< Message edited by Son_of_Montfort -- 2/28/2009 4:10:44 PM >

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

Post #: 8
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 4:26:02 PM   
Panama Red

Erik:
You said that you run this game on 1280x1024. If this game is "fixed" at 1024x768, how do you manage to run it at 1280x1024 ???

Panama Red

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 9
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 4:28:09 PM   
Erik Rutins

Panama Red,

Monitors and video cards automatically resize the 1024x768 resolution of the game to fill the 1280x1024 screen. It's all done transparently to the user. There are also scaling options in monitor and video settings (which vary based on your monitor and video card) that allow you to adjust how different resolutions are shown on your display.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Panama Red)
Post #: 10
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 4:52:54 PM   
Fintilgin

It does look fine at 1680x1050 on my computer.

I do hope future products try to give native support to widescreen though.  I don't have a big problem with scaled games, but when I go back to one that supports my native resolution it always looks so much crisper and cleaner.  CoG:EE looks good... but it could look better.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 11
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 7:19:25 PM   
PDiFolco

I have a 1280*1024 monitor. The game looks nice in 1024*768, but the images are somewhat distorted, because 1280*1024 is 5:4 ratio where 1024*768 is 4:3.

(in reply to Fintilgin)
Post #: 12
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 8:12:04 PM   
Matto

It is possible use D3DWindower to play it in window !!! BUT !!! Some windows are wrong and some are causing game crash (morale and glory logs, strategy goals etc.) ...

Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... :o)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 13
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 8:33:10 PM   
PDiFolco

Matto, how do you do that ? And if it crashes it's not really "possible to play" .. 

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 14
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 9:33:14 PM   
Matto

Download D3DWindower utility ... add CoG:EE exe file to this utility. Start game from this utility ... it is running in window 1024x768 on my laptop 1280x800 ...

It is possible to play, I must only avoid using three mentioned report window ... if I can see it, I must start a game in full screen ... so it is usefull for PBEM games, where you need only play one turn or at games, where you do not need see morale, glory and political goals windows ...

Btw. political goals you can see on the map ... morale situation on the main screen and if you know rules, you know why is your morale falling down ... similar with glory ...

My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 15
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 2/28/2009 11:41:40 PM   
PDiFolco

Matto
I was not clear, I already have D3DWindower and tried, but the game keeps changing res to 1024*768 and display full screen, whatever options I put..

(in reply to Matto)
Post #: 16
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/1/2009 5:49:14 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

I play this in 1680x1050 and 1280x1024 and 1440x900 and in all resolutions it does not look fuzzy. I think a lot of folks with widescreen monitors are not getting the most out of them.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

I was disappointed, as well, that there isn't widescreen or high resolution support, but I can say, with personal experience, that the graphics do not look blurry or fuzzy and the text is perfectly readable. I am running it on a 1440x900 laptop LCD screen, so the scaling is significant, and yet not overly noticeable. I am VERY picky about this, but lately I have gotten over some of my hangups with this because it is the only way to play certain classic games (pretty much anything offered by GoG.com, like Fallout, Captialism, etc).

Thanks guys. Perhaps I was too hasty. I just might grab that CoG discount and order CoGEE afterall.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 17
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/1/2009 7:47:08 PM   
SlickWilhelm

I went ahead and purchased CoGEE and I have to admit that while it's not as crystal clear as it could be, it looks much better than CoG and is definitely good enough to pass muster. I'll keep tweaking, too. But it does look very good as is.

Post #: 18
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/1/2009 8:00:25 PM   
Hard Sarge

hey, don't you have a Palace to storm or something ?

Post #: 19
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/1/2009 9:39:24 PM   
SlickWilhelm

LOL Sarge, I'm giving HG a bit of a rest while we await a patch for it. In the meantime, I'm reading the book "How Far from Austerlitz" and playing CoGEE at the same time. 

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 20
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/1/2009 9:43:08 PM   
Matto

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

Matto
I was not clear, I already have D3DWindower and tried, but the game keeps changing res to 1024*768 and display full screen, whatever options I put..

Hmm, nothing special ... just added to D3DWindower and running it from it ...

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 21
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/1/2009 9:58:45 PM   
Joram

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

I went ahead and purchased CoGEE and I have to admit that while it's not as crystal clear as it could be, it looks much better than CoG and is definitely good enough to pass muster. I'll keep tweaking, too. But it does look very good as is.

Good to hear. Glad you made the dive.

Post #: 22
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/1/2009 11:32:28 PM   
Canuck_jp

If anybody has a netbook, especially an Eee PC 1000, could you please try this and let me know how it runs?  My resolution is only 1024x600 but the Eee PC can run at 1024x768 emulated (some games work well some not so well)
I don't want to drop $50 on a game that won't work on my PC and I'm sure the standard "no demo" Matrix position applies here.

(in reply to Joram)
Post #: 23
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/2/2009 12:15:16 AM   
henri51

I just got the game and am running it at 1900x1400 resolution on a 24 inch monitor (Imac), and it looks just fine. At the max zoom, the map is clear and crisp, and the icons are not quite crisp, but quite tolerable. I would not avoid getting the game because of the resolution from what I have seen so far.

Henri

(in reply to Canuck_jp)
Post #: 24
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/2/2009 6:05:32 PM   
SpaceBum

To Canuck35:

I installed CoGEE on my EEE PC 900 (also 1024x600), and it runs fine in emulated 1024x768 mode.  Moving the mouse cursor between the top and bottom of the screen, however, does sometimes cause the map to scroll. Otherwise, even on a slow SSD model like my EEE PC 900, CoGEE is definitely playable.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 25
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/2/2009 10:04:36 PM   
sabre100

I run it on a 1080p monitor (1920x1080 resolution) and have no issues at all with the game running at fixed resolution of 1024x768 looks and works fine... Kudos to the team on this game, had the old version and this new one is much better.

Post #: 26
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/3/2009 10:54:41 PM   
SlickWilhelm

For those folks running ATI video cards, if the graphics are not crystal clear enough for you, I found the solution. Go into the Catalyst Control Center, under the "Digital Panel Attributes"..."Image Scaling". Select the radio button for "Use Centered Timings". This will place black borders around the game, but the graphics will be very sharp and much improved from using any of the other choices.

Hope this helps any other OCD graphics snobs like me.

< Message edited by Slick Wilhelm -- 3/4/2009 4:16:49 PM >

(in reply to sabre100)
Post #: 27
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/4/2009 1:05:08 AM   
ASHBERY76

The game looks really poor at high res,but still playable.I hope windows mode is supported in a future patch.

Post #: 28
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/4/2009 11:46:44 AM   
Canuck_jp

Hi Spacebum-thanks for the reply. What do you mean by scroll exactly? Shouldn't the screen scroll when you move the mouse to any side of the screen? When you move around the map does it scroll smoothly? I've found in some games in emulation mode that it can be quite choppy when scrolling around the screen. HTTR on the other hand worked beautifully.

(in reply to SpaceBum)
Post #: 29
RE: No widescreen resolution support? - 3/4/2009 7:07:28 PM   
SpaceBum

Canuck35:

Given that scrolling for both the emulated 1024x768 resolution and the map within the game are accomplished by moving the mouse cursor to the top and bottom of the screen, the action occasionally accomplishes both.  It's not a big deal, though.  Map scrolling is smooth, even on my 900MHz Eee PC 900, although it does have 2GB of RAM installed.

(in reply to Canuck_jp)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> No widescreen resolution support? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI