Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> Tech Support >> Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/9/2009 9:45:42 PM   
jagdwolf

I have to say I am pretty disgusted with Matrix right now for selling this clearly unfinished product. (Before you assume anything, my system is well over the needed specs and I have patch 1.05I installed; oh yeah and running XP - so it's not a vista issue)

It is flatly impossible to play the game for any length of time without it hanging, locking up or crashing outright. The most common area to hang seems to be siege resolution in WEGO mode, but it happens nearly as often during the breakthrough phase in strict turn mode. Those are just the most common of course, it also locks up randomly with a chance to happen at seemingly every pop up message or AI phase.

At this point I have tried multile games as different powers, different scenarios and changed every setting there is; none of makes the game stable enough to get past 4-5 turns. Saving constantly is simply not an option because trying to reload and remember what has/hasn't everywhere is just too much of a pain.

< Message edited by jagdwolf -- 2/9/2009 9:46:22 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/9/2009 10:13:22 PM   
Erik Rutins

If you can't get the game to work properly for you, e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com please.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to jagdwolf)
Post #: 2
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/10/2009 12:27:40 AM   
MorningDew

Do you have sounds/music enabled? From what I've seen, almost every urrent lock is related to issues with the sounds engine. Try disabling all sound/music.

Also, there is a 1.05L build on the AGEod site.

(in reply to jagdwolf)
Post #: 3
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/10/2009 1:13:22 AM   
jagdwolf

Fetching the 1.05L patch and trying with ALL sound disabled - already had music disabled as that was obviously causing hangs every time it swapped tracks.

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 4
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/10/2009 3:58:14 AM   
jagdwolf

First game off the bat after installing 1.05L - no sound effects at all enabled
CTD in military phase of August 1914
DR Watson:
The application, C:\Program Files\World War One\WW1.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 02/09/2009 @ 11:02:04.484 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 0096A7FC (WW1)

Event Log:
Faulting application ww1.exe, version 1.0.5.9, faulting module ww1.exe, version 1.0.5.9, fault address 0x0056a7fc.

Data:
0000: 6c707041 74616369 206e6f69 6c696146
0010: 20657275 31777720 6578652e 302e3120
0020: 392e352e 206e6920 2e317777 20657865
0030: 2e302e31 20392e35 6f207461 65736666
0040: 30302074 37613635 0a0d6366

Next idea?

< Message edited by jagdwolf -- 2/10/2009 3:59:03 AM >

(in reply to jagdwolf)
Post #: 5
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/10/2009 4:10:30 AM   
MorningDew

I'd post your save game on the AGEod forums ASAP. There is a new patch due this week. Maybe your issue has already been resolved but, if not, get it to them so they can get it resolved for the upcoming patch.

(in reply to jagdwolf)
Post #: 6
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/10/2009 4:29:31 AM   
06 Maestro

Make sure that the ai logs is not checked in the game configuration-that was a big problem for many players.

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 7
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/10/2009 8:27:46 AM   
jagdwolf

2nd Try with 1.05L  = game freeze at a newspaper popup in diplomacy phase of Sept 1914.
No idea what "AI Logs" is - there is no option/bar for it on my options menu. (I haven't changed any of the AI settings from the preset so far as I know)
Also, from what I can read of the AGEod forums, I don't have "one" issue, I have the entire slew of game crashes and hangs this game seems to be plagued with.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 8
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/10/2009 10:58:21 AM   
jagdwolf

Reload from last Autosave after that Sept. 1914 crash led to a CTD in the Nov-Dec turn:

Faulting application ww1.exe, version 1.0.5.9, faulting module ww1.exe, version 1.0.5.9, fault address 0x0057175c.

It's probably possible to keep reloading from autosaves and staggering forward a turn or two until the next crash/hang, but thats a bit of a ridiculous way to have to play a game.

(in reply to jagdwolf)
Post #: 9
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/10/2009 2:46:56 PM   
06 Maestro

Go to "configure game" in the WW1 menu accessed from your start menu. Make sure that ai logs is unchecked-it is very important with many systems. From the number of CTD's you are having, I suspect that is the culprit. The AI logs add nothing to game play-disable it.

Using the square military icons may help also. (accessed from the game options menu).
Hopefully that helps.

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 2/15/2009 6:09:11 AM >

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to jagdwolf)
Post #: 10
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/10/2009 4:41:22 PM   
MorningDew

quote:

ORIGINAL: jagdwolf

Reload from last Autosave after that Sept. 1914 crash led to a CTD in the Nov-Dec turn:

Faulting application ww1.exe, version 1.0.5.9, faulting module ww1.exe, version 1.0.5.9, fault address 0x0057175c.

It's probably possible to keep reloading from autosaves and staggering forward a turn or two until the next crash/hang, but thats a bit of a ridiculous way to have to play a game.

Agree. That is no way to play a game. Have you got your save game to the developers?

(in reply to jagdwolf)
Post #: 11
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/10/2009 5:34:38 PM   
jagdwolf

Ahh - found it, sadly AI LOGs was already unchecked; I'm using NATO counters as well (I've always found them quicker and more informative than soldier-sprites)

I'm not sure sending a save game would accomplish much, it doesn't seem to be a persistant fault - I.E. I can reload the same save after a crash repeatedly and it will crash again at completely different points. So it's not like there is some data error in the save game causing it, just something new that hiccups each time.

PS Tried a complete removal and reinstall/repatch just to see if something was corrupted or something, doesn't seem to have made a difference.

PPS No it doesn't hurt to try,but I have no idea where to send said saved game...sorry but I'm not really interested in registering for yet another forum and slogging through AGEod stuff to figure out who to send something to.

< Message edited by jagdwolf -- 2/10/2009 7:44:39 PM >

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 12
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/10/2009 6:44:24 PM   
MorningDew

quote:

I'm not sure sending a save game would accomplish much, it doesn't seem to be a persistant fault - I.E. I can reload the same save after a crash repeatedly and it will crash again at completely different points. So it's not like there is some data error in the save game causing it, just something new that hiccups each time.

Doesn't hurt to try.

(in reply to jagdwolf)
Post #: 13
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/10/2009 6:51:28 PM   
MartNick

Sending your savegame files to Calvinus on the Ageod forum is a good way to go, I've seen plenty of bugs/errors fixed this way. He is on the boards virtually the whole time. Plus by sending them in, may help others if the fix is then included in the next patch. You have nothing to lose anyway.

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 14
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/10/2009 9:35:28 PM   
dunnsa

quote:

Ahh - found it, sadly AI LOGs was already unchecked; I'm using NATO counters as well (I've always found them quicker and more informative than soldier-sprites)

PS Tried a complete removal and reinstall/repatch just to see if something was corrupted or something, doesn't seem to have made a difference.

PPS No it doesn't hurt to try,but I have no idea where to send said saved game...sorry but I'm not really interested in registering for yet another forum and slogging through AGEod stuff to figure out who to send something to.

You can send an email describing your issues with attached save games to support@ageod.com
No forum registration is required for that.

AGEOD Volunteer
Visit the AGE Wiki at http://www.ageod.net/agewiki/Main_Page

(in reply to jagdwolf)
Post #: 15
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/11/2009 1:12:30 AM   
jagdwolf

Will do - currently trying again with all sound disabled (the switch in the game configurator set up program - which is odd since I had all sound turned off in the game already, but whatever), so far that seems like it might be the "fix"....not going to say til I get a solid half dozen turns in though.

Edit: So much for that, made it a couple of turns further in, to Jun 1915 then CTD again while trying to set an Italian grand offensive.
Sending savegame.

< Message edited by jagdwolf -- 2/11/2009 3:50:24 AM >

(in reply to dunnsa)
Post #: 16
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/11/2009 8:39:31 AM   
Doc o War

Jagdwolf- just put this game away until they fix it right and play Guns of August- the new 1.3 patch is good and its a fun gaming experience- which this one isnt anymore..

Tell me the story of the common foot soldier, and I will tell you the story of all wars.
... Heroditus.

(in reply to jagdwolf)
Post #: 17
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/11/2009 12:47:15 PM   
Hanal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doc o War

Jagdwolf- just put this game away until they fix it right and play Guns of August- the new 1.3 patch is good and its a fun gaming experience- which this one isnt anymore..

So you implying that there was a moment when World War One was actually "fun" for you?......

Personally, I have been very patient with this game but I have shelved it for awhile...I will admit that my experience with this game has changed my buying habits...I now wait a good three months or more before I will even consider buying a new release and so have delayed buying Jagged Edge, Supremacy at Sea, and a few others. I no longer care about "release dates" since my personal date will always be months later...I guess I should thank AGEOD for that much....

(in reply to Doc o War)
Post #: 18
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/13/2009 2:41:28 PM   
MorningDew

Just a quick FYI that a short beta of 1.06 has been released. Hopefully that will fix your issues, but if not, you can report and provide a save to the developers.

http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?p=130952&posted=1#post130952

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 19
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 2/15/2009 3:37:21 AM   
jagdwolf

Thanks for all the help and advice here, especially to the AGEod team who are really trying hard. I am sure you will fix all the issues eventually. Unfortunately, I am not really interested in slogging along for weeks or months more with this many problems.

My thanks to the Matrix team for being very understanding about these problems, definately a class act.

I will definately be watching WW1 forums and such and may try it out again once all the gremlins are chased out.

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 20
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/8/2009 2:29:12 PM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: J P Falcon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Doc o War

So you implying that there was a moment when World War One was actually "fun" for you?......

Personally, I have been very patient with this game but I have shelved it for awhile...I will admit that my experience with this game has changed my buying habits...I now wait a good three months or more before I will even consider buying a new release and so have delayed buying Jagged Edge, Supremacy at Sea, and a few others. I no longer care about "release dates" since my personal date will always be months later...I guess I should thank AGEOD for that much....

I can empathize with the frustration of the other gamers in this thread.

I'm also a little disappointed in how tolerant of this whole mess some gamers have been. It really should not be considered "okay," how this game release has worked out. Having 'optoins' like: turning off sound, or changing default settings to minimal levels, or turning off basic game functions, or turning off processes in your taskmanager, may indeed be workable ways to make a game that works poorly work well enough to enjoy it for a few hours at a time, but it should never by any of us, be considered okay for that state of affairs to be common among a significant fraction of players with rigs that are well within spec range.

Since buying this game weeks back, I've been very active over at the WWI Ageod forum, and I have to say: Ageod, and Calvinus, and almost everyone involved (testers, developer-helpers, Ageod managers, even the gamer/forum members) has been very reasonable in what they say and do. The Ageod crew has clearly gone 'above and beyond' the call of duty to try to fix or repair the issues with the game, and they have generally been very responsive, nice and committed. Most of the gamers who have complained have been patient, helpful, detailed, polite. Even most of the guys who 'defend' Ageod, and the WWI development team have been pretty reasonable. So, I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone. All you guys seem like really nice fellows, and pretty much everything I've read from most of you seems very nice and reasonable.

But I want to make one point that is a simple fact: IT SHOULD _NEVER_ HAVE BEEN LIKE THIS in the first place.

When problematic launches become considered to be 'okay' that is a slippery slope for this industry.

Innovation should not come at the expense of playability. Market-efficiency and innovation should not be made to be oppositional. Could release have not been delayed through an additional six-months to a year of beta-testing? Look at how long we are waiting for Admiral's Edition; and I'm sure it will turn out to be worth it, and the magnitude of technical problems will be negatively correlated with the dilated wait to release. It might be that Matrix is having to swallow some fiscal overhead right now, during this pre-sales, long development phase, but imagine how much better immediate, short-term and long-term post-release sales will be if that pre-sales period was actually efficient at improving the final product.

Patches are of course a given. But the way things have worked with WWI goes beyond mere patches.

The game was released way too early. Heck, for all I know, there are some fundamental flaws in the game design/code that might require serious workarounds to get past them or else are not fixable at all.

This game has an excellent design, look-and-feel, and an innovative engine and overall structure. In terms of potential the game clearly has a great deal of potential. This is an ambitious, groundbreaking, innovative game design. For promoting the design and marketing of a game like this in the first place, Ageod and Matrix are to be applauded. Pushing the gaming industry forward, with innovative new concepts and designs is a risk-fraught venture, which the gaming business is understandbly loathe to consider. A consequence of this is that popular lines (Empire: Total Frustration comes to mind) become so popular and hyped up, that the maker employs increasingly tricky and 'secure' security and installation procedures, as well as increasingly shiny and fancy 'chrome' (graphics, and other eye-candy that does not actually involve innovations in strategy game design.

All of this makes the situation all the more poignant. The long-term potential of WWI to push the industry in exciting new directions is bound to have been negatively impacted by its early release problems and its persisting problems, and that is a damn shame for all of us.

I was not able to get the game to run after DLing it, but the CD arrived within a couple days of my order. There is a long (and still somewhat contradictory) manual that can be downloaded.

If the developers keep working on this one the way they have been since it was released back in the fall 2008, I think that this game will live up to about 95%+ of its tremendous potential as a very innovative, and groundbreaking game.

Right now I'd say it is at about 80%. There were such serious problems with the game during the first couple weeks that it was released that Ageod offered a money-back offer. Because the most serious issues have been fixed with patches, that offer has been withdrawn. The problems that remain are mostly subtle and fine-detail points, but the game remains fundamentally conflictual with background processes for many machines, with Autoupdaters and Antivirus apps being putatively the biggest problem.

Honestly, when I play this game, I find that I need to turn off my wireless so I'm not networked, and then go into my Taskmanager and turn off as much as possible in order to have close to zero chance to suffer hangs, delays, and CTDs.

That to me is really not acceptable: the game should WORK on a wide-range of systems; Civ certainly does; FoF does; TOAWII does; Pirates! does; LOTS of games work fine with infrequent hang/delay/CTD issues without having to reconfigure your system to prevent conflicts.

I resent the time I have to spend opening up Taskmanager and turning off processes in order to make this game run 97% smoothly, and so should any of us who spent $50 or $60 for a computer game.

Time will tell if the developers actually work this out, but at present, addressing basic bugs, and the few remaining game design issues seems to be their primary focus.

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 4/7/2009 2:36:09 PM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 21
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/8/2009 5:59:27 PM   
GShock

The AgeOD DEVs know what they are doing, they always did. It's all a matter of reaching the potentials before and not after the release because that's how you can reach the SALES potentials: The game is supposed to be READY at the v1.0 with no major issue and a few minor ones.

In AACW at V1.12 we have a less than mediocre AI.
In WiA 1.4 we have besieged troops receiving replacements and supplies.

What could you have expected from WW1...it shall take a dozen patches and they will come, and unerringly the game will reach a good status but it will never hit the mark on its real sales potential because players can't be expected to be betatesters.
They don't buy the game with that purpose and u need to maximize sales with game quality immediately after the release, not years after through patching. Devs should be coding new projects, not always running to catch up with mistakes coming from previous ones.

You've seen what this user posted...you probably have seen what other users posted in WW1 tech support @ageod (and surely u have seen those here @matrixgames).
I am wondering if u've seen the player reviews, as i have, at gamespot, armchair general, gamersgate, etc. This is not the DEVs' fault but those reviews are bummers.

How long will you pretend you can't do anything about it? Support www.animalsasia.org

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 22
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/8/2009 9:11:12 PM   
JastaV

Well GShock, you decided to call me in!
I do not know what a bummer is.....I apologize for my poor English, then the word is not reported in my dictionary.
But it, (a bummer) I should expected to be in so far I'm with ones who reviewd WW1 at Gamespot.com as at Play.com

I carefully read this full thread: I no wonder there're many peoples disappointed with WW1.
Truly, I had no chance to go after last WW1 patch and I gave up with WW1 gaming from weeks: that's because of frustration with instability and bugs in a game I bought out of my money.
Anyway, I kept running the boards searching for positive reports following patches release so to recover trust in a game I'd love because of its subject, its complexity: unfortunately reports are very frustrating up to date.... even following last patch gamers are reporting CTDs and Calvinus is till excusing with users and hunting for solutions.
It's all very disappointing and we cannot see the end of the nightmare.
You mentioned Ageod AACW and WIA, both suffering for bugs and AI weaknesses so many time after their publication. You forgot to mention AGEod NCP: the game is not getting support by a patch publication from months, although many issues have been reported and although Ageod promises of future improvements.
I trust and share your opinion of AGEod products in many aspect but I'm very disappointed to notice YOU missed and confused a primary point.
You are charging AGEod DEVs, -(developers, I suppose)- of WWI troubles.
That's wrong!
It was not Calvinus' choice, to publish at the wrong time a week, alpha state game, unplayable because of tons of bugs, CTDs, incompatibility with most common programs, and even manual unsupported.
That was Ageod publishers' decision. That was a PhilThib’s decision.

BTW, that same tradition of publishing games without adequate beta-testing is then responsible for troubles you reported for Wia, AACW, and NCP as I had to remember. Is it a searched publishing and marketing strategy? Is it a proof of AGEod company weakness or perhaps an evidence of ThilPhib strength that, but many games troubles is trusted by so many enthusiastic supporters?
I do not mind. As a customer I bought games supposing to be able to enjoy them as they come out of the box: that was not true and it's not true months, (WW1 and WIA) and even years after publication (NCP, AACW): so, as a disappointed customer, I claim my right to address my complaints to the publisher.

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 23
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/8/2009 10:57:01 PM   
Blueprint

quote:

ORIGINAL: GShock

The AgeOD DEVs know what they are doing, they always did. It's all a matter of reaching the potentials before and not after the release because that's how you can reach the SALES potentials: The game is supposed to be READY at the v1.0 with no major issue and a few minor ones.

In AACW at V1.12 we have a less than mediocre AI.
In WiA 1.4 we have besieged troops receiving replacements and supplies.

What could you have expected from WW1...it shall take a dozen patches and they will come, and unerringly the game will reach a good status but it will never hit the mark on its real sales potential because players can't be expected to be betatesters.
They don't buy the game with that purpose and u need to maximize sales with game quality immediately after the release, not years after through patching. Devs should be coding new projects, not always running to catch up with mistakes coming from previous ones.

You've seen what this user posted...you probably have seen what other users posted in WW1 tech support @ageod (and surely u have seen those here @matrixgames).
I am wondering if u've seen the player reviews, as i have, at gamespot, armchair general, gamersgate, etc. This is not the DEVs' fault but those reviews are bummers.

As far I know, WW1 is selling well. Life is a liitle more complex than your post.

and AACW is at V 1.13. 2 minor bugs in your post. Waiting the 1.01.

< Message edited by Blueprint -- 3/8/2009 11:10:22 PM >

(in reply to GShock)
Post #: 24
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/8/2009 11:07:45 PM   
Blueprint

quote:

ORIGINAL: JastaV

Well GShock, you decided to call me in!
I do not know what a bummer is.....I apologize for my poor English, then the word is not reported in my dictionary.
But it, (a bummer) I should expected to be in so far I'm with ones who reviewd WW1 at Gamespot.com as at Play.com

You even reviewed these games several times under 2 or 3 nicknames.

For the origin of your WW1 bashing: http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12358 and here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1997686

For the rest, NCP has yet one great quality: its avaibility. Anyone can play it, not like your NCP mod you removed from Fileshare 2 months ago and you haven't yet uploaded somewhere.

WW1 was released too soon. Yes. I guess because the French distributor Nobilis has shared part of the cost development and exiged the game to be "ready" for the 11th November.

Now My position remains the same: we may hope for a more perfect world where wargaming companies would have huge revenues and could delay a game release until fully ready. Unfortunatly, we're in a world where we have to live with more or less precipitated releases. But at least we have computer wargames to play. In the whole, there are maybe around 20 computer wargame designers at work, in very small companies. The real point isn't to get perfect games the release day. It's to get dedicaced support to fix things in the next months.

< Message edited by Blueprint -- 3/8/2009 11:15:28 PM >

(in reply to JastaV)
Post #: 25
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/9/2009 2:27:39 AM   
Anthropoid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blueprint WW1 was released too soon. Yes. I guess because the French distributor Nobilis has shared part of the cost development and exiged the game to be "ready" for the 11th November.

Now My position remains the same: we may hope for a more perfect world where wargaming companies would have huge revenues and could delay a game release until fully ready. Unfortunatly, we're in a world where we have to live with more or less precipitated releases. But at least we have computer wargames to play. In the whole, there are maybe around 20 computer wargame designers at work, in very small companies. The real point isn't to get perfect games the release day. It's to get dedicaced support to fix things in the next months.

I would love to see the actual numbers that indicate that (a) distributors, financial backers, or whatever Daddy Warbucks overlords are putatively pulling the strings stand to lose unmanageable amounts of money by not getting a computer game on the shelves quickly; not to mention (b) the long-term cost-benefit analysis comparing revenues from games that underwent longer developments and games that got rushed out to the shelves.

I do not doubt that none of this was Calvinus or any other gamer or developers' fault. I can believe that it is a moneyroll somewhere putting pressure down the ladder to kick it out for retail sooner. It is not that I'm disputing who ultimately is responsible.

All I'm saying is: wouldn't a good game do BETTER business in the long-run by undergoing a bit longer development period to work out the kinks? You would think that corporate finance types would have thought through those kinda analyses pretty carefully.

Or, maybe it is as you say: World War One is "selling well," despite the fact that it still runs like a clunker. Maybe it is even selling almost as well as a comparable game that is in a much better state in final release (CoGE comes to mind).

If that is the case, then I guess there is just one thing for us gamer/consumers to do: beware.

I personally took a leap of faith with Ageod and bought the game based on Matrix's online advertisements having never tried the demo. I've generally had good luck just buying stuff that way with Matrix.

I will never buy so impulsively from Matrix again, and I likely will never buy from Ageod again at all.

On the other hand, having had two exceptionally good experiences with some of the other small-house developers who peddle their wares through Matrix, I will never hesitate to buy, nor to speak supportively of some other companies that I'm guessing are no less constrained by being small fry than is Ageod.

I'm just one guy, but the thing about Grog computer gamers is how powerful reputation word-of-mouth and pragmatism figure in to repeat purchases if not brand loyalty.

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Blueprint)
Post #: 26
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/9/2009 3:21:50 AM   
skshrews

I'm more forgiving than some comments here.

I remember the rise and fall of SPI and Avalon Hill. Small, specialized game companies that produced products for a limited audience.  When they were gone, there was only an infantile computer wargame industry.

Considering the endless "beta" applications produced by massive companies such as Google, and the endless updates of OS X and Vista, it's not hard to be forgiving of small game developers struggling with the same issues.

I haven't bought "World War One" yet, but probably will eventually.  It does sound as if it was released much too early (if only they would address the "sweet spot"/mouse issue!). But being someone who has always imagined producing a computer wargame, I'm appreciative there are people producing something in this genre.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 27
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/9/2009 11:18:43 AM   
JastaV

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blueprint

For the rest, NCP has yet one great quality: its avaibility. Anyone can play it, not like your NCP mod you removed from Fileshare 2 months ago and you haven't yet uploaded somewhere.

Uhhhh, that's a great point!
Are you saying NCP in now available for free?
Hops, just checked: AGEod is selling it out of € 33.99/44.99, download/boxed versions.
Guess a bit too high price for a bugged games published some a year ago, not receiving support and patches out of many months.

As regard my NCP mods they came for free out of many hours of my work: no one paid me for them, no one can claim rights over them!
But all, there's something sick with you: you expended time, words and efforts to denigrate my mods, then you are here to claim for right of access to them!

Anyway, I did all I could to make my mods available even after I “left” AGEod board.
My last attempt is till hot:

It was then AGEod decision to remove the post soon damaging all ones interested to get my mods.
So, should you till have to charge someone for un-availability of my mods charge AGEod, not me!
Notice I was posting at AGEod board to reply to a specific questions over my mod:
http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13461

Please notice it was not a problem for me signing the post with my JastaV aka-nickname.
I have no reason for hiding behind dummy identity, in the same way I signed all my posts, and user-reviews.
It's a sick fantasy moving you to see my presence behind any negative statement regarding AGEod products.
As you said, "WW1 is selling well", and may be other AGEod games too: so you should not be stunned with negative public statements reporting the many issues affecting Ageod products.

"WW1 is selling well!"
Really?
I'm doubtful..... Are you sure that will that be positive for AGEod future?
Can you think customers disappointed and frustrated by AGEod WW1 issues will then buy any future AGEod product?
It seem like VGN will soon be available: based on past experience, AGEod customers can expect VGN will be buggy as hell on release and the AI will be dumb as a bag of hammers, so customers would not bother with it at all!

(in reply to Blueprint)
Post #: 28
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/9/2009 3:38:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: JastaV
Guess a bit too high price for a bugged games published some a year ago, not receiving support and patches out of many months.

It seem like VGN will soon be available: based on past experience, AGEod customers can expect VGN will be buggy as hell on release and the AI will be dumb as a bag of hammers, so customers would not bother with it at all!

Ok, it's clear there are some raw nerves here, but this is simply going too far. This forum is not a place for you to post constant criticisms of AGEOD's games based on the personal problems you've had with them. There are ways to be civil and ways to be rude and the statements above are simply bashing. Constructive criticism is always accepted here, comments like the above regarding a game that has not even been released yet are way beyond the line.

This is a final warning, stop using our forum as a way of continuing this feud, or you will be given a "vacation" to reconsider how to post with civility.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to JastaV)
Post #: 29
RE: Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups - 3/9/2009 7:48:03 PM   
MorningDew

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthropoid
All I'm saying is: wouldn't a good game do BETTER business in the long-run by undergoing a bit longer development period to work out the kinks? You would think that corporate finance types would have thought through those kinda analyses pretty carefully.

You've obviously never dealt with my accountants

Two other comments:

1. I've been one of those supporting AGEod (for comment #2 below) since a few days after the release of WWI, but I don't remember hearing anyone (including myself) say WWI should have been released when it was. It was clearly not ready and should not have been release and all comments to this effect I agree with whole heartedly (but I do not agree at all with with the same comment being made about BoA, AACW, NCP or WiA).

2. One thing I don't understand is anyone claiming AGEod doesn't support their games. I've found BoA, AACW, NCP and WiA all playable from day one. Perfect? No. Playable? Very. Supported? Amazingly. That's why I've been supportive of AGEod with WWI. Everything I've ever seen from them tells me it will continue to be be supported and will achieve it's potential. But to point #1, it should not have been like this.

< Message edited by AndrewKurtz -- 3/9/2009 7:55:34 PM >

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> Tech Support >> Game is completely unplayable due to hangs/lock ups Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI