Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Thinking about trying this

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Thinking about trying this Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 4:58:23 PM   
NickWright

Hello everybody! First time poster here.

Only recently having become a fan of strategy games I've missed several of the classic titles, like WITP, that are held in high regard by 'those who know'. I feel I'm ready to try out something with some real depth, something with lots of detail, something that is tough enough that I won't figure out how to beat the game in a single session. WITP seems to fit the bill. I've also got my eye on Ageod's WW1 (now it's been patched) and the new Crown Of Glory, but I think I'm going to try this first. I'll consider removing funds from the family food budget to get the others, if I somehow find the time to play in the near future. I figure a little starvation would be character building.

Anyway....

Is there a general consensus on good mods/artwork? I see on the forums people having been making some cool artwork, I'd like to download some, but I don't really want a hodge-podge of various offerings. Is there one super artwork pack anybody would recommend? How about mods for the first-time player to try out? Or is it better to have a go with the vanilla version first?

I've seen the helpful 'must read threads' sticky, so I'll be referring to that. Would anybody recommend a resource for new players in particular?

Nick

Post #: 1
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 5:05:17 PM   
Alikchi2

Fool around with vanilla, and then try out CHS! As for art, it's all personal preference, really, but at the very least use TheElf's aircraft art.

(in reply to NickWright)
Post #: 2
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 5:05:59 PM   
Terminus

I'd wait for AE, if it were me...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to NickWright)
Post #: 3
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 5:11:22 PM   
witpqs

He's got to buy WITP to get AE, so maybe fooling around with it to learn some basics about the interface, concepts, etc.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 5:14:39 PM   
DivePac88

CHS comes with a new art set, but your better off learning with stock then going to CHS (or maybe even AE if your very lucky).

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to NickWright)
Post #: 5
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 5:20:19 PM   
NickWright

Thankyou for the recommendations!

I've just had a quick look in the AE subforum. For want of a better internet acronym, "lol". How long has that been in development? From what I can see most people are expecting to be fully decomposed by the time it's finished. It does look really good though... Something to look forward to =)

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 6
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 5:36:05 PM   
witpqs

The way I understand it, AE was in double-secret development for at least 18 months before it was announced. Upon announcement (December 2007) they figured it would be a few more months to release. They then found that some of the really necessary objectives to improve the AI (for solo play) required that the AI be pretty much re-written. They've done that and are way down the road in testing and refinement. Last communique indicates they are confident of release by this summer.

(in reply to NickWright)
Post #: 7
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 6:09:49 PM   
greg_slith

quote: He's got to buy WITP to get AE,

Is this true?

And, I have not seen anything that hints to the price. Any clue?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 8
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 6:16:28 PM   
RevRick

And I think I can speak for virtually (but certainly not) all of us....
This is NOT a game you will master in one session unless your real name is Lt.Cdr. Data, in any of it's various incarnations. Personally, it is so deep in scope that I would start with stock vanilla until I got anywhere near a handle on the depth of preparation, pre-planning, planning, and revised planning before coming into contact with the enemy, and then throwing most of that away and pulling things together to start preparations against the opponent - even if it is AI. Get you feet wet on that, and then dive into CHS, which is a tad easier than RHS, and then get ready for the ride of AE.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 9
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 6:33:35 PM   
Misconduct

Put it simply like how Rick said, if you want a game that you can master in few hours then by all means counterstrike is something easy enough. War in the Pacific however involves tremendous learning curve, one of the other forums posted I wrote I reset my campaign 4-5 times in the last month and finally have a successful campaign started (10 turns no problems yet wahoo!)

You will really have a lot of learning to do, however give yourself a few weeks and you can see the game is wonderfully complex to play, with almost hundreds of possible options to do, you can't really get bored.

War in the Pacific is about as addicted as Heroin. Once you take a few hits your hooked.

/Bad I know, sue me :)

(in reply to RevRick)
Post #: 10
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 6:34:34 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: ecwgcx

quote: He's got to buy WITP to get AE,

Is this true?

And, I have not seen anything that hints to the price. Any clue?

Absolutely true in that Matrix has affirmed it several times.

No, they have not set a price. Matrix has stated that their policy is to set pricing upon release of a product. So, we have to wait for the news on that.

(in reply to greg_slith)
Post #: 11
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 6:39:23 PM   
greg_slith

Thanks for fast reply! I guess regardless of the price it'll still work out to fractions of a cent per hour played.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 12
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 6:41:11 PM   
Misconduct

quote:

ORIGINAL: ecwgcx

Thanks for fast reply! I guess regardless of the price it'll still work out to fractions of a cent per hour played.

I thought the price was bit wacky being new games are around $45 new and this being many years old at $70, however with the time invested playing in the game and how many updates are available and the community to help you out - its worth the pennies spent.

At least your not investing in a $45 game to find out the community is hostile and developers stopped updating the game or have so many bugs Dev's won't fix any in few months period of time.

(in reply to greg_slith)
Post #: 13
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 6:57:51 PM   
greg_slith

This is realy the cheapest game on the market. If you consider how long it takes to play a full campaign (even against the AI) it turns out to be better than free... think of all the money you won't be spending on other titles. It may ruin your marrige. Or out last it anyway

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 14
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 7:36:46 PM   
Misconduct

I look at it as if I Spent $70 for WITP I don't spend that on the Bar's 

(in reply to greg_slith)
Post #: 15
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 8:29:42 PM   
Ambassador

WitP does not have a steep learning curve.  It has a learning cliff.  With an overhang.

(in reply to Misconduct)
Post #: 16
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 8:29:51 PM   
stuman

Welcome to WiTP. Worth every penny. Take your time, read the threads, and asl questions. It is a very fun gaming experience.

" Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room. " President Muffley

(in reply to NickWright)
Post #: 17
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 11:36:34 PM   
NickWright

Lots of responses =)

I've played through the tutorial, and yeah, it does seem pretty complex. This is what I was after, so I'm happy. Hopefully it'll keep me occupied for a little while!

Regarding cost/(time playing). This game was pretty expensive! I love the way the UK distributor slowly ups the price as you head through the order page, it's very funny. Label price is something like £50 for the download & box. Fair enough. Next page, £7 shipping, £4 extended download. Now we're up to £61 *sigh*. Final page, add enter your address etc... Add the sales tax - grand total £70! (that's about 100USD for the Americans here). Nice way to add 40% to the price on the product page, Digital River!

I'm not bitter though, I'm happy to pay a little bit more for a niche product like this. I'm assuming I'll get my monies worth =)

I'm thinking about starting one of the smaller scenarios tomorrow. I'll write back after I've been annihilated!

(in reply to stuman)
Post #: 18
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/11/2009 11:51:40 PM   
bradfordkay

I paid about $100 for the game when it was first released (box version plus FedEx shipping) and it has certainly been worth the money. More so than any other game I have ever owned/played.

(cue usual newbie greeting)
Welcome to the madhouse! Now kiss your wife and children goodbye (after getting her to bring you a sandwich and beer).

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to NickWright)
Post #: 19
RE: Thinking about trying this - 3/12/2009 12:24:46 AM   
n01487477

quote:

I'm thinking about starting one of the smaller scenarios tomorrow. I'll write back after I've been annihilated!

That probably won't happen against the AI ... but there are some fine players on this site who probably could. Although the small scale AI does play fairly well mind you

As for Mods, I'd go for BB1.5 - but that is just a matter of choice and IF you want something different Nemo's EA or RHS or Alikchi (has made what looks like a nice mod too)...

There are plenty of utils to try as well and forum reading to do that makes the Brittanica a light weight read --- well they are paid a few cents a line after all

Good Luck

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Thinking about trying this Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI