Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Utah to Rhine-Purchase points?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Utah to Rhine-Purchase points? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Utah to Rhine-Purchase points? - 10/18/2000 6:20:00 PM   
Rambodoc

I have noticed in a few posts that the purchase points for the first scenario are 1400. In my hard fought attempt at this scenario I noticed that I only received 1303 points and if I turn off the option for true troop cost the starting points drop to 1295. I am playing with version 4.2. I must congratulate Wild Bill and all the testers, this is one of the best starting scenarios I have ever played. I am embarrassed to say that I barely ekked out a draw. The southern armor was a big surprise and I unfortunately lost my southern 57 AT after only one kill to a malfunction of the main gun. If my purchase points are somehow different another 100 points would be a great help.

Post #: 1
- 10/18/2000 6:46:00 PM   
Spellbinder

Hi Rambodoc, during purchase you automatically loose some points (aprox 100) for your HQ. This price increses/decreases with "True unit Cost" on/off. If you have it on, and your newly purchased units are rather green, they're cheaper - that's all to it. As for purchasing in this campaign, it is a challenge for every single scenario. Did I purchase the right units???? I just finished the "Mortain" battle (I think the 5th or 6th) and I had to start twice because of the wrong unit mix :-/ It is definately a great campaign!!! ------------------ "Semper Paratus"

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 2
- 10/18/2000 8:18:00 PM   
Windo von Paene

Well the biggest problem I've had so far, is that you don't know what the AUX troops are going to be. Case in point: After battle 1, (marginal victory), I'm delaying the counterattack on Utah beach. So I say to myself, better buy some AT guns. I do so, (forgetting to buy any transports for them thinking I'll be able to deploy with a good field of fire), and go to the deploy. Now I see I can only set up on the beach, and the AUX troops already have a bunch of AT guns emplaced. Luckily I had saved before the buy, so I was able to try again...

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 3
- 10/19/2000 1:30:00 AM   
Wild Bill

Smart move, Windo. I recommend you save the end of each battle, the setup of the next battle and at least one turn in the middle of the battle. That way if you ever have to go back, you don't have to start over. And keep them till you have finished the campaign. A wise move. Also, if the text files were bigger we could include more info, but the space is severely limited. I will, however, in future campaigns, try to include something of what you will have as aux forces. Thanks, Rambodoc! I appreciate the good thought. It is a great encouragement to keep at it. Again, I had some real quality guys testing this one and they were quite thorough, with great suggestions. I hope to use them again for the next one. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 4
- 10/19/2000 1:31:00 AM   
Wild Bill

And I understand your cry for a few more points for units. I think that is the lament of the battlefield commander too. If only I had a few more men, a couple of tanks...I could get this done. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 5
- 10/19/2000 1:52:00 AM   
McGib

Wish I had the skills of your testers WB cause for me this opening scenario is next to impossible to beat. I somehow managed to defeat both the northern tanks and the southern tanks for the loss of only 1 M3A1(76) to a mine, but when it comes to getting into town! There must be at least 3 platoons of infantry in that place. I took two rifle platoons and two AB platoons into that place and lost all but a couple of squads as well as two tanks. And all I got was 1 victory hex. I was afraid to stay out and hit them with arty cause I didnt want the scenario to end on me. Guess I'll try my saved game and try the arty way and see what happens. BTW Bill what are the aux Waco gliders for?? ------------------ McGib Ready Aye Ready [This message has been edited by McGib (edited October 18, 2000).]

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 6
- 10/19/2000 3:41:00 AM   
craig77

I must say this is difficult. I love it. I always like to be the under-dog. I am still in the middle of the first scenario. I have dealt with most the armor using my five tanks and suicide tactics with three of my infantry platoons (ala PRIVATE RYAN). I have 3 infantry plts and an engineer plt setting up to take on the armored group approaching from the south. Can't wait to see the outcome.

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 7
- 10/19/2000 3:57:00 AM   
Kharan

I have a (somewhat) related question: Why does the Soviet Union always get (unless you've set the points from preferences screen) 20%-30% more points than it's opponent regardless of the Historic ratings or the True troop cost setting (or the opponent) ?

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 8
- 10/19/2000 5:24:00 AM   
Wild Bill

It can be done, Mac, but it is not an easy one. About one half of the testers got a draw on the first battle, if that is any comfort I would offer some hints, but that is not quite fair. Well, one...A double envelopment of St. Mere Eglise was the way I did it, attacking from two directions at once. As for the gliders, eye candy, my friend, to give the feel of the paras being there, nothing more. As for Soviets, I think that is a default setting due to primarily the fact that the Soviets had such an abundance of manpower and as the war progressed, equipment. That is an uneducated guess, nothing more. Don't take me to taks on it, please. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games [This message has been edited by Wild Bill (edited October 18, 2000).]

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 9
- 10/19/2000 5:33:00 AM   
McGib

I tried the double envelopment but my timing left much to be desired WB. More arty next time and a whole lot more coordination between units will (I hope) do the trick. As to the waco's I tried using them empty, just for the wreckage nearby for that D-day flavor but they crash as soon as they cross over land. ------------------ McGib Ready Aye Ready

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 10
- 10/19/2000 6:00:00 PM   
Rambodoc

Thanks alot Spellbinder. It did not occur to me to figure in the HQ unit. That makes a good deal of sense. I am going to have to rearrange my starting forces and try this thing one more time. It is heartening to know that the testers had a hard time with this one too. I am a long time player of SP. Buying the original the first day it came out and playing each iteration exhaustively over the years. (exception being SP 3, could never get used to the change in scale.) I must thank again all the people at Matrix for bringing SP back. This is an incredible simulation that has me hooked again.

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 11
- 10/19/2000 7:48:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Our pleasure, Rambodoc. Mac, you are speaking of Wacos flying? I don't see these, even in the TOE in the scenario. THere are only four Wacos and they are all on the ground. Do you have more Wacos besides the four on the ground? That should not be. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 12
- 10/21/2000 9:46:00 AM   
Malkuth

I got my butt kicked on this one. Held off the first attacks by middle APCs and Northern armor, with only 1 tank lost. Then I noticed some More Panthers from south sent 5 shermans down in ambush and got Kicked by those dam, are those tigers? That were behind the Panzers. I know history and Shermans versus Tigers is no match!. An AT gun took out the Tigers but was too late all tanks were dead.

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 13
- 10/21/2000 10:19:00 AM   
mogami

Howdy folks!!! I started with 4 sherman 76mm 2 flame tanks 2 tank destroyers, 2 sp 155mm 1 half track, 1 jeep FO. In first battle I dawaddled (I do that)and was 1 hex away from 2 victory areas when battle ended (would have captured at least 4 hexes) 2nd battle defend the beach ok the Paras kicked some major butt without me and it was a DV no problem (thanks WB for all the support!) 3rd battle advance into the city I put all the units that were not mine under computer control (always do...there not mine I don't give them orders unless my HQ is next to them) Several large armoured monsters on my left caused trouble but flame tanks kill every thing if it gets close enough and 6 aircraft!!! I was in heaven being the bomber instead of the bombie. Just when I was thinking Utah to the Rhine was going to be a cake walk I was sent to secure a bridge........... ------------------ I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 14
- 10/21/2000 7:25:00 PM   
KGzim

Played the first battle in the campaign last night and it was good fun. My core units where 2xM-10, 3 Para Plts, 6 Dukws, ammo truck for my M-10, FO, 1xM-16, 4xM-8. For support I took 5 Bty's of 155's and 2 rocket support ships (they do not fire indirect waste, never new) finished the on turn 14 score was 9093/664. I delayed attacking the town until I finished with all the threats that kept popping up and continued a running battle with the Panthers and 251 from the south till the end. I moved 1 of my 57 to a better field of fire when I seen the StuG' appear and this gun kicked butt. I awarded this crew some Bronze stars for stopping the StuG’s. When I did attack the city (head on and one Plt from the south, which ran into the bunkers and Mortars). I used the Arty to pound the piss out of it to reduce my infantry casualties. I used the Arty like they did, hit a bump and pound it with Arty till it's gone! I had 2 M-8 play cat and mouse with the JgPz IV until the mouse got to brave, you know the rest. Look forward to the next scenario in the campaign. Good job WB.

(in reply to Rambodoc)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Utah to Rhine-Purchase points? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI