Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Initiative and Forage

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Initiative and Forage Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Initiative and Forage - 3/14/2009 1:14:34 PM   
LuckyJim1006

Hi all,

Working my way through the manual and I came across this in 1.8.1 Unit Info and Controls

"Units set to Forage will recieve a bonus to Initiative"

As I understand it Initiative is the measure of how likely a unit is to fulfill it's movement on the Strategic map.

If a unit is spread out over a province looking for food and stuff why the bonus to initiative ? I would have thought it less likely to be ready to move than a unit supplied by a depot and presumably in good order.

Apologies if I have misunderstood this and it is a great game. Just wish I was a great commander.
Post #: 1
RE: Initiative and Forage - 3/14/2009 2:17:59 PM   
PaulWRoberts

I think reliance on the formal supply net means slowing down so the baggage train can keep up.  "Living off the land" allows for faster strategic movement when averaged over a month-long turn.

(in reply to LuckyJim1006)
Post #: 2
RE: Initiative and Forage - 3/14/2009 2:46:12 PM   
Ironclad

Armies who relied mainly on depots moved at a slower rate because of their need to await the delivery/dispersal of supplies and larger supply trains were required making progress more cumbersome. In contrast French armies could move in a far more flexible way, foraging was organised so as to minimise delays and the smaller supply tail produced less of a drag. The greater self reliance of French troops and the looser disciplinary framework that applied aided this sytem.

(in reply to LuckyJim1006)
Post #: 3
RE: Initiative and Forage - 3/14/2009 3:30:06 PM   
LuckyJim1006

Thanks all. That makes sense.

I guess I just had the wromg impression. I though that 200K men foraging would mean them spread out, disorganised, not getting orders to move etc etc so the initiative to move strategically would be cut.

I need to read more, which I am currently trying to remedy by reading Robert Hardy's War of Wars.

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory: Emperor's Edition >> Initiative and Forage Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI