Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Water and Movement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Water and Movement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Water and Movement - 5/16/2002 2:20:54 AM   
sctrogers

While testing a scenario I found that a French Marine Commando platoon was able to cross a three hex wide canal/river. The water had a depth of -3. And the properties/description of the platoon squads did not indicate that they had rafts of any kind. For the moment I want to say that they were swimming, but I wonder about their ability to swim with full combat loads. Scuba gear of some kind maybe?

On the other hand a US Ranger platoon was not able to cross the same type of water hexes. It's properties/description did not indicate a raft of any kind either.

I'm using SPWAW ver. 7.1. However I seem to remember that in version 6.3 certain infantry units did carry rafts with them and could do water crossings. In the properties/description of these units it was mentioned that they did have rafts. Also when they did do a water crossing a small raft would appear and replace the unit icon when the unit was in deep enough water.

Is the a bug in 7.1? Or am I missing a key concept/idea?

Scott
Post #: 1
- 5/16/2002 2:54:03 AM   
Belisarius

Don't you know that frogs are excellent swimmers? :D :D :D

Jokes aside, check if the unit carried a raft. Sometimes (at least in my games where all kind of weird stuff happens) the unit icon doesn't change to the raft one, but remains a squad icon.

Could you move beyond the beach/bank in the same turn?
Could you fire the squad weapons?

Got StuG?

(in reply to sctrogers)
Post #: 2
- 5/16/2002 8:28:54 AM   
sctrogers

Here are the answers to your questions Belisarius:

The units were not carrying rafts.

I could not move beyond the bank/beach in one turn. Out in the water, I was restricted to moving only one hex per turn.

And I could fire my weapons at targets.

Scott

(in reply to sctrogers)
Post #: 3
- 5/16/2002 9:35:26 AM   
tracer

Sounds like an 'oversight' :)

From my understanding, rafts will only appear in a unit's equipment list if the map has a major river.

Jim NSB

(in reply to sctrogers)
Post #: 4
- 5/16/2002 9:49:05 AM   
Goblin

Is the unit amphibious? The Italians have frogmen, the French may too. Look for a movement with a number after the colon. For example- Speed 12:2. The '2' is its amphibious movement rate.

Goblin- A Goblin swims like a fish:)

Update- French Marine Commandos have a movement of 8:1. Just looked it up. They are true 'Frog' men!:D

(in reply to sctrogers)
Post #: 5
Frogmen??? - 5/16/2002 8:59:32 PM   
Gary Tatro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Goblin
[The Italians have frogmen, the French may too
Goblin- A Goblin swims like a fish:)

Update- French Marine Commandos have a movement of 8:1. Just looked it up. They are true 'Frog' men!:D [/B][/QUOTE]

What is a Frogperson? Is that a cross between a frog and a Goblin. Or would that be called a FrogGoblin? Is that this big Green Frog that likes to sneak around at night in 0ther peoples swimming pools? And would you call that frog hopping or pool hopping. Maybe its called leap frog. No wait, that is a different game. :D

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to sctrogers)
Post #: 6
Re: Water and Movement - 5/16/2002 10:49:38 PM   
RockinHarry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sctrogers
[B]While testing a scenario I found that a French Marine Commando platoon was able to cross a three hex wide canal/river. The water had a depth of -3. And the properties/description of the platoon squads did not indicate that they had rafts of any kind. For the moment I want to say that they were swimming, but I wonder about their ability to swim with full combat loads. Scuba gear of some kind maybe?

On the other hand a US Ranger platoon was not able to cross the same type of water hexes. It's properties/description did not indicate a raft of any kind either.

I'm using SPWAW ver. 7.1. However I seem to remember that in version 6.3 certain infantry units did carry rafts with them and could do water crossings. In the properties/description of these units it was mentioned that they did have rafts. Also when they did do a water crossing a small raft would appear and replace the unit icon when the unit was in deep enough water.

Scott [/B][/QUOTE]

What kind of "water" was your river/canal shown as? If it´s "shallow water" then you don´t need any rafts.
BTW: this "-3" thingy is not really a height indication, it´s rather a terraion flag! Check the document to be downloaded from my signature below.

It still sounds odd though, that one infantry (the french commando) can cross, while the US Rangers cannot!? :eek: I´ll have a look at this tonight...

_________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to sctrogers)
Post #: 7
Re: Water and Movement - 5/17/2002 1:01:16 AM   
john g

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sctrogers
[B]While testing a scenario I found that a French Marine Commando platoon was able to cross a three hex wide canal/river. The water had a depth of -3. And the properties/description of the platoon squads did not indicate that they had rafts of any kind. For the moment I want to say that they were swimming, but I wonder about their ability to swim with full combat loads. Scuba gear of some kind maybe?

Scott [/B][/QUOTE]
Just checked, the FF Marine Commandos do have 1 water movement capability. I guess since they are marines they are used to swimming.

Horse cavalry has a similar movement ability in the water.

For a minute there I thought you were referring to SPWW2 where almost every unit that has commando in the title seems to have water walking ability.
thanks, John.

(in reply to sctrogers)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Water and Movement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI