Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/16/2009 11:16:55 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 10, 1945

Course: South
Attached to: TF 43
Mission: Bombardment
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 410

Orders: Intercept enemy fast transport convoys at Tori Shima

---

The Japanese ships steam in slow circles off the southern tip of the Kii Peninsula. Here they are at small risk of air attack but are close enough to Tori Shima to sprint in and out during the hours of darkness. All they are waiting for now is confirmation of a target.

Submarines and patrol aircraft scour the sea to the south, seeking some sign that a fast transport convoy is heading north. Allied fighters and patrol planes operating out of Guam, Tinian, and Iwo make this dangerous work but it will pay off if it means that Tanaka’s ships can catch the enemy as they attempt to unload their cargo in the nighttime waters off the volcanic island.

There is some danger, even this close to Japan, that enemy B-24 or B-29 bombers might find and attack them. It seems, however, that the enemy has renewed his bombing campaign against Tokyo since Hibiki and the other ships left Kure. Fierce air battles are reported there and that is where the enemy’s attention seems to be focused. The risk is deemed to be acceptable.

And so they steam in circles and wait.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4231
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/17/2009 2:28:34 AM   
BrucePowers

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Nothing prettier then a flawless night launch of the Shuttle!  

Yeah

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4232
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/17/2009 3:41:43 AM   
oz_boater

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

quote:

Nothing prettier then a flawless night launch of the Shuttle!  

Yeah

American Victory was good (saw it in 05 when at a convention in Tampa). Very much worth the visit - but the shuttle launch of the 15th was simply awesome. I have never thought I would see one but finding myself in Jacksonville on busness for a month I drove down - best decision I have made in a long time. You have no idea just how much raw power is involved till you go - and it is an astonishingly beautiful sight.

p.s. And thanks to Cuttlefish for his efforts. This ongoing story has been a true delight to look forward to each few days.

Richard Simpson
Australian Battle Group
www.ausbg.org
Sydney, Australia

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 4233
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/17/2009 8:18:49 AM   
bradfordkay

Well, I went to see my first live shuttle launch back in January, 1986. That winter I was living in Stuart, Florida so it was easy to head up to a good vantage point.

As a kid I always loved to watch the gemini and apollo rockets launch on television, so I was looking forward to seeing one in person. I haven't had much desire to go watch them since...

< Message edited by bradfordkay -- 3/17/2009 8:20:07 AM >

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to oz_boater)
Post #: 4234
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/17/2009 7:49:28 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Okay class -- what's wrong with this picture?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4235
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/17/2009 9:06:24 PM   
tocaff

Hibiki hasn't topped off with fuel prior to the impending dash to Tori Shima and the expected sprint away if she's able. 

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4236
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/18/2009 4:10:13 AM   
bradfordkay

Nope, that's not it... if you are expecting to fight a surface battle, you probably should not be in a bombardment TF, especially if you are hoping to surprise the enemy TF. 

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 4237
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/18/2009 5:41:17 AM   
John 3rd

The man has a point...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 4238
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/18/2009 8:09:05 AM   
SierraJuliet

John... you wouldn't be drawing on your hard won knowledge/experience gained from the school of hard knocks now would you?

< Message edited by SierraJuliet -- 3/18/2009 8:18:05 AM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4239
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/18/2009 9:07:09 AM   
Ambassador

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish
And so they steam in circles and wait.

And so WE, the readers, steam on place and wait...

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4240
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/18/2009 1:39:57 PM   
tocaff

I missed that obvious tidbit.    I'm sure CF will have it adjusted before the run is made.

Todd

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 4241
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/18/2009 2:03:59 PM   
FOW

The AAR has been showing bombardment since the aborted attempt to bombard Iwo Jima on Jan 12 (game date)......

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 4242
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/20/2009 11:06:38 PM   
kaleun

Bump

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to FOW)
Post #: 4243
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/21/2009 7:51:52 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

quote:

Okay class -- what's wrong with this picture?

I actually did have the TF set to bombardment. Since the interception was largely a matter of guesswork I didn't want to waste the trip. I figured that with Tanaka in command he would attack vigorously if enemy fast transports were encountered, and if not at least they could lob a few shells onto the island.

I wouldn't have tried it with most other commanders and if heavy enemy surface forces were to be encountered it might be a problem. We'll see how it works out shortly.

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4244
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/21/2009 7:53:21 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 11, 1945

Fuel: 382

---

“It doesn’t matter if it’s a worthless piece of volcanic rock,” says Yoshitake. “It’s Japanese soil. We have to attack.”

“We have two battleships and three heavy cruisers,” says Riku, stretching out in his hammock. “That’s a lot to risk. It might be better just to let the enemy stay there. Maybe if we are lucky the volcano will erupt and take care of the problem for us.”

Shiro sets aside his whittling. “I like that thought,” he says. “The land defending itself from our enemies. Maybe that could be our divine wind, except that it would be a divine volcano.”

“That would surprise the Americans!” says Oizuma. “We Japanese know all about volcanoes, but I don’t know if they even have volcanoes in America. They don’t, do they?”

Everyone ponders this, but no one seems to know the answer. Shiro picks up his whittling again.

“They had an earthquake in San Francisco a long time ago,” says Yoshitake helpfully. “I read about that once.” No one responds to this. The Japanese are not easily impressed by earthquakes.

“Maybe we could just send a bomber or two over the island,” says Shoji. “They could drop a few bombs right into the volcano. It would cause an eruption and we could go back to Osaka.”

“I don’t think it quite works that way,” says Riku dubiously.

“Maybe if they used armor-piercing bombs?” asks Yoshitake. But no one has an answer to this. Silence settles over the compartment, broken eventually by the sound of Shoji starting to snore.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4245
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/21/2009 8:44:37 PM   
kaleun

"Silence settles over the compartment, broken eventually by the sound of Shoji starting to snore. "

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4246
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/21/2009 9:09:22 PM   
tocaff

I thought that the TF setting was interesting and that maybe it was done on purpose.  The fuel on the other hand I do find interesting since topped off fuel tanks prior to a fast run in and out makes sense.

Todd

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 4247
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/22/2009 2:04:10 AM   
vettim89

quote:

February 11, 1945

---

“It doesn’t matter if it’s a worthless piece of volcanic rock,” says Yoshitake. “It’s Japanese soil. We have to attack.”

“We have two battleships and three heavy cruisers,” says Riku, stretching out in his hammock. “That’s a lot to risk. It might be better just to let the enemy stay there. Maybe if we are lucky the volcano will erupt and take care of the problem for us.”

Shiro sets aside his whittling. “I like that thought,” he says. “The land defending itself from our enemies. Maybe that could be our divine wind, except that it would be a divine volcano.”

“That would surprise the Americans!” says Oizuma. “We Japanese know all about volcanoes, but I don’t know if they even have volcanoes in America. They don’t, do they?”

Everyone ponders this, but no one seems to know the answer. Shiro picks up his whittling again.

“They had an earthquake in San Francisco a long time ago,” says Yoshitake helpfully. “I read about that once.” No one responds to this. The Japanese are not easily impressed by earthquakes.

“Maybe we could just send a bomber or two over the island,” says Shoji. “They could drop a few bombs right into the volcano. It would cause an eruption and we could go back to Osaka.”

“Maybe if they used armor-piercing bombs?” asks Yoshitake. But no one has an answer to this. Silence settles over the compartment, broken eventually by the sound of Shoji starting to snore.

Okay this is quite the involved post. As usual Cuttlefish, your yarn spinning skills are exemplary. First, of course, picking up on the previous "random volcano eruption" thread. Then, picking up on the USAAF attempt to induce an eruption at Rabaul using AP bombs. Very nice

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4248
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/22/2009 3:20:39 AM   
Hornblower

excellent as always

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 4249
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/22/2009 6:42:59 AM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

quote:

February 11, 1945

---

Okay this is quite the involved post. As usual Cuttlefish, your yarn spinning skills are exemplary. First, of course, picking up on the previous "random volcano eruption" thread. Then, picking up on the USAAF attempt to induce an eruption at Rabaul using AP bombs. Very nice

HEY--CF I am planning to add that feature to my first Mod. You cannot take my intellectual property away!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 4250
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/22/2009 8:13:58 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

HEY--CF I am planning to add that feature to my first Mod. You cannot take my intellectual property away!

Look at it this way: I'm not taking away your intellectual property, I'm advertising for it!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4251
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/23/2009 6:01:53 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 12, 1945

Fuel: 353

---

“To err is human,” Alexander Pope once said. No one aboard Hibiki has ever read Pope and not even Lieutenant Miharu knows who he is. But all of them would admit to the truth of this statement if they heard it. People make mistakes. They screw up. It’s an inevitable part of the human condition.

Warfare, being a particularly complex and dynamic form of endeavor, is especially subject to this. Errors and mistakes in the chain of command are not always caught and corrected. But in war even small mistakes can produce tragedy. If the manager of a store orders three gross of a certain widget instead of just three widgets it can be a costly inconvenience. If a sign painter messes up a sign the results can be confusing or even humorous. If a football player gets turned around and dashes into the wrong end zone he can even achieve a kind of fame. But when people make mistakes in warfare all too often the result is that people die.

Admiral Tanaka is one of the best officers in the Imperial Japanese Navy. The crews under his command are brave and skilled. But somewhere in the complex chain of orders that stretches from Tokyo to his ships a mistake has just occurred.

Currently Hibiki and the other ships are still circling, waiting for word that enemy ships are on the way. The wait is nearly over. Within twenty-four hours they will be ordered into battle. And somewhere along the line the mistake will cause the operation to go badly wrong. And people will die.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4252
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/23/2009 6:15:51 PM   
tocaff

Now that sounds bad.  

Todd

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4253
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/23/2009 6:31:48 PM   
Barb

-Me praying to Banzeiten for Hibiki.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 4254
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/23/2009 6:34:35 PM   
John 3rd

I'm sacrificing a small child right for Hibiki...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Barb)
Post #: 4255
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/23/2009 7:04:58 PM   
Ambassador

Hibiki will be safe, Benzaiten will look after her.

I hope so, at least.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4256
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/23/2009 7:33:11 PM   
Admiral DadMan

A line often used in the Star Wars Movies:

"I've got a baaaad feeling about this..."

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to Ambassador)
Post #: 4257
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/23/2009 10:36:28 PM   
kaleun

Really bad feeling.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 4258
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/23/2009 10:49:54 PM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Admiral DadMan

A line often used in the Star Wars Movies:

"I've got a baaaad feeling about this..."

Oh another pop culture classic, "RUH ROH, Shaggy"

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 4259
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/23/2009 11:42:27 PM   
Radio

At the risk of stating the obvious it sounds like Admiral Tanaka's error has already been spotted by the audience. Here's hoping Hibiki doesn't suffer for it.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 4260
Page:   <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  140 141 [142] 143 144   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI