Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1st Impression

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> 1st Impression Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1st Impression - 5/16/2002 5:49:57 AM   
Rob Roberson

The opening avi is nice...old war footage, nothing wrong with that. Actually haven't dug to deeply into it yet. Reading the pdf (yes I'm one of those who actually reads the rules before playing) this baby is deep. And gorgeous to look at. I will probably spend tonite playing the smaller scenarios to get a feel for the interface. Based what I have seen on the inside of the game the detail level is what every grog dreams of. More later.
Post #: 1
Sure Rub it in! - 5/16/2002 6:29:12 AM   

Yes, so you've gotten your copy. So you start a new thread to gloat. So all of us that are looking at order status "New", can just watch and be jealous. :mad: How nice for you. :rolleyes: Isn't that special. What could be making you post such a thing? Hmm.... I wonder.... Could it be...

SATAN?

:eek:

kp

My apologies to the Church Lady. ;)

The Earth is but a hollow nougat, reverberating with the sounds of the big bands... :cool:

(in reply to Rob Roberson)
Post #: 2
:) - 5/16/2002 6:44:33 AM   
Rob Roberson

Didnt I mention, satan is my idol muahahaha

Just dinked around with the COral sea scenario..(pointed my carriers right at the slot to get into combaty quickly.

As much as I hate to admit it. I love the animations. Waiting to watch your ships get pasted does add to the tension. (And yes did I ever get pasted...Japanese Naval Air pounded my carrier). Nothing was more depressing then watching my cap circle the carriers and ditch. One after another a death announcement. I think I have the interface down going to try a larger scenario now.

Post #: 3
- 5/16/2002 7:32:02 AM   
osros

Good to hear the animations are pleasing..

Post #: 4
Say good bye to your loved ones - 5/16/2002 10:16:03 AM   
Rob Roberson

This is a dream come true. The interface takes a little getting use to, but man, what a game. I just fought what would of been considered the battle of the Coral Sea. Vicious air battle, my two flattops are now limping home sans their airgroups (the flight decks were foul with debris) all of which diverted to Port Moresby. (Except one group of hapless bomber pilots which went to Buna and were promptly captured by Japanese troops during the land phase). MY pilots are claiming devastating hits on the Japanese carriers...:) we will see. Its easy to get myopic in this game ( I have all but ignored the east side of the map) and concentrate in one area. No doubt I will pay for that later. I'm not sure whether or not I blunted the PM invasion yet, but IM sure the computer is rethinking his plans :).

Post #: 5
- 5/16/2002 10:42:31 AM   
MalleusDei

My copy is due here on May 22nd. In the meantime, if the UV manual appeared in my email box by some strange coincidence I would consider it an act of great mercy. I'm at [email]malleus@bellsouth.net[/email]

Post #: 6
Awesome - 5/16/2002 11:32:19 AM   
mogami

Hi, I am trying to recall when a game has made such a favorable impression on me. Prehaps it was the AAR's that made the game easy to understand. I did read through the manual (like a prarie fire in August) Then I started the long campaign. I was worried from the AAR's about pilot fatique but discovered how easy it is to rest them. (bases with good support they recover 20percent per day) HQ provide support for LCU . Baseforces for airgroups.
Use a percentage of the total pilots available to decide how many planes to put up each day. (several Japanese groups start with planes but no pilots) I have to force myself to increase the size of my TF's against the AI my little 8 ship groups keep running into 12-14 ship TF. ) The AI will go where you don't think it has any bussiness going. The Carrier battle animations drive me crazy. I smoke 3-4 cigarettes while the enemy attacks and weave back and forth in my chair driving my carriers. SO far (3 times) in every battle one of my birdfarms escapes without damage.
This is really a Grognard game. Prehaps the most Grognard game ever. If you like the subject and history this game is total joy. 2by3 and Matrix have produced prehaps the best all time wargame. Deep and yet easy to manage. I do entire turns where I am conducting intense ops in 15 minutes (resolving the turn takes longer then entering orders.) The phases are presented in an interesting and entertaining way. (I wonder if anyone turns off the animatons during a CV or surface battle to speed it up?) Pay attention to how your leaders do. They seem to have a great impact on results. Don't buy anything from a pilot-the whoppers those guys tell are amazing. I was attacked by 12 aircraft and I destroyed 16 and damaged 14. (In one CV battle a lone Dauntless attacked Zuikaku and the gunnersmates claimed it destroyed twice and damaged twice, from what I saw it dropped a bomb and flew away. ) This game also possesses the famous 'one more turn and then I'll eat/sleep/gotowork function. Where those famous words are spoken and 6 hours later your still cursing enemy torpedos and going full speed ahead.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

Post #: 7
I couldnt agree more - 5/16/2002 11:44:25 AM   
Rob Roberson

I have now been at it four just over 5 hours and I dont see me sleeping tonite. I may take a love break at some point with the wife though ;).

"This is really a Grognard game. Prehaps the most Grognard game ever. If you like the subject and history this game is total joy. 2by3 and Matrix have produced prehaps the best all time wargame. Deep and yet easy to manage"

No question!

Anyone with a passing interest in this aspect of the war needs to break out the credit card right now. I'm am still working through some aspects of it, but it is simply joy to play.

I think I got two out of three Japanese carriers at my Coral Sea. One of my subs got the third a day later. Watching the air battles was fascinating. Makes me regret saying anything about the animations during the chat last week.

Post #: 8
- 5/16/2002 12:08:54 PM   
Crocky

:D

I knew Ive been testing for about 4 months and still have my heart in my mouth every time my dive bombers appear over the enemy fleet....just one more hit , just one , come on , please hit

You wait till you start paying human opponent then it gets intense.

Enjoy boys and if you want a game let me know

[email]crocky@inet.net.nz[/email]

Mike Blair CROCKY

Post #: 9
- 5/16/2002 3:38:31 PM   
LargeSlowTarget

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MalleusDei
[B]My copy is due here on May 22nd. In the meantime, if the UV manual appeared in my email box by some strange coincidence I would consider it an act of great mercy. I'm at [email]malleus@bellsouth.net[/email] [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't even know when my copy will arrive here in Germany (late, of course), so if someone please have a heart and send me the manual, too? In (trigger-)happy anticipation, [EMAIL]Taffy-03@gmx.net[/EMAIL]

LST

Post #: 10
- 5/16/2002 4:34:27 PM   
Achim

Yes, i am living in Germany too. can somebody please send me the manual too ?
i need DAYS to translate it ...

[email]silverea@gmx.de[/email]

Post #: 11
- 5/16/2002 4:48:29 PM   
matt.buttsworth

The same. [email]matt.buttsworth@freesurf.ch[/email]

Post #: 12
- 5/16/2002 5:03:15 PM   
kgsan

ditto for me. I placed my order on May 1 but it still hasn't shipped so I'd love to at least have the manual to pore over:

[email]kgsan@aol.com[/email]

Post #: 13
- 5/16/2002 7:46:28 PM   
Grouchy

Yeah, help us poor europeans through those dark days ;)

m_luppens@chello.nl

Post #: 14
Ditto - 5/16/2002 8:38:30 PM   
Jason629

[email]Jason629@bellsouth.net[/email]

Post #: 15
grognards rejoice - 5/16/2002 9:44:08 PM   
rough44

"This is really a Grognard game. Prehaps the most Grognard game ever. If you like the subject and history this game is total joy. 2by3 and Matrix have produced prehaps the best all time wargame. Deep and yet easy to manage"

They should quote this on every ad they make.

We've been all waiting for a game of this magnitude far too long.

UV is a complete success even if its sales don't reflect that, just because the audience is so much more demanding than the regular shootem up/cast a spell crowd. The game might not make $$$ for the developers but it sure will bring glory and fame for years to come, just like PacWar did... and what more could you want, well ok maybe some $$$.

If the grogs say it's a grog's dream come true then it's settled.

Post #: 16
ditto - 5/16/2002 9:51:56 PM   
Toro

It seems I have such a hard time getting a game sent quickly to me from Matrix (took a full week after release to have my last one sent). I'm still "new" today.

[email]rhys60@yahoo.com[/email]

Thanks.

Post #: 17
- 5/16/2002 11:40:41 PM   
kgp

I'm also waiting on the post office. If anyone is
emailing manuals, I'd love to get a head start.

[email]ken_pauwels@unc.edu[/email]

The error set is infinite.

Post #: 18
- 5/16/2002 11:53:17 PM   
IKerensky

After all I guess I can just add my email to the list :p
[email]ngousset@hotmail.com[/email]

I am curently re reading PaCWar manual but it just dont feel the same alike :p

Post #: 19
- 5/17/2002 12:42:04 AM   
Griffin

I checked with UPS page that my package will be delivered later today. GREAT! :D

Before that I wish to know if the animations are in par with Carriers @ War? Well, when I played that game some years ago , I always did pray for your bomb/torpedo run home into that enemy carrier, would start a fire that they could not put out.

Post #: 20
- 5/17/2002 1:15:53 AM   
Paul Vebber

I think they are a lot better (higher resolution and better effects of smoke and fire) - but the idea is generally the same.

Post #: 21
- 5/17/2002 2:00:53 AM   
Hartmann

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Vebber
[B]I think they are a lot better (higher resolution and better effects of smoke and fire) - but the idea is generally the same. [/B][/QUOTE]

Exactly! If you have played PacWar and Carriers at War, you feel immediatly "at home" playing UV. :) I remember, I was always waiting for those torpedo hits in CAW .... *splush*... *psshhh* .... *booom!*

It's even better in UV. I'm now always watching out for those extra CRITICAL DAMAGE explosions. :cool:

Hartmann

Post #: 22
- 5/17/2002 2:45:09 AM   
daniel123

I would also like a copy of the manual
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE !!!!!!
[email]dwray1234@earthlink.net[/email]

thanks who ever sends it

Post #: 23
- 5/17/2002 7:58:48 AM   
Caltone

For a copy of the manual to read while waiting on USPS, I would be forever in someone's debt.

[email]rkaleel@carolina.rr.com[/email]

Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> After Action Reports >> 1st Impression Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI