Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is It Ready Yet?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> Is It Ready Yet? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is It Ready Yet? - 1/26/2009 8:14:33 PM   
New York Jets

I've been loosely following this forum for awhile. I own Guns of August but, am looking for a more in depth WWI experience. I noticed in the threads that there were many bugs and such associated with this game, at the start, which had rendered it pretty much unplayable when compared to GoA.

I understand there have been several patches and updates since release and have a question before I purchase the game.

Is it a good product, worth buying, yet?

I'm not meaning to be snarky, or anything like that. I'm just wondering if it is yet worth what's being charged for it?

All opinions welcomed.

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -
Post #: 1
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 1/26/2009 8:20:35 PM   
Blueprint

Yes.

Full manual is online and CTDs are very rare now. Most bugs affecting the gameplay have been adressed.

Try the demo on AGEOD forum.:

http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12891

< Message edited by Blueprint -- 1/26/2009 8:26:34 PM >

(in reply to New York Jets)
Post #: 2
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 1/26/2009 9:54:31 PM   
Eastern

It could be a great game, however not a perfect in-depth game. But it wasn't ready for release, Ageod came with some patches but if I am honest those aren't nearly fixing all the buggs. You have to save every round or lose several times your game, crashes all around (especially when the newspaper pop up) It's a shame, it could be THE game of the year for the WW one fan

(in reply to New York Jets)
Post #: 3
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 1/26/2009 10:18:38 PM   
JudgeDredd

I haven't had a single crash in all the times I started it up...I think I played to the end of December 1914, that's all though, so I'm not sayin crashes aren't there, just that I have not encountered.

And from what I've seen in the short span of playing it, I like it. I'm not sure I could in all honesty recommend it to anyone yet because I haven't nearly played enough of it...but I like what I see so far.

(in reply to Eastern)
Post #: 4
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 1/26/2009 10:48:23 PM   
Arsan

Chris,
You can try for yourself if the game looks like your cup of tea and/or if your computer have CTD problems with it by taking a look at the demo, which is updated to the latest official patch.

Here is the demo
http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/3rdParty/WW1/WW1_v1.0.5c_DEMO.zip

Here the patch for the demo
http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/3rd...ch_v1.0.5f.exe 

And here you have the full 190+ pages manual to take a look at all what the game offers
http://www.ageod.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5783&d=1232391332

Hope it helps to make up your mind!

Regards!

< Message edited by Arsan -- 1/26/2009 10:49:06 PM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 5
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 1/27/2009 1:24:04 AM   
Capitaine

I've been playing the betas for a while.  I'd say it's not quite done yet.  At least a half dozen more beta updates are needed IMO (assuming as many things get resolved as in previous patches).

(in reply to Arsan)
Post #: 6
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 1/27/2009 7:39:56 AM   
JudgeDredd

Capitaine

Can you tell me what you think is wrong with the game?

I've got
  • Where battles occur - never knowing where they are taking place. It's very difficult to get your bearings when the battle screen shows and at present, I have to take note of the region and go scouting for it on the map afterwards
  • Unit sensitive spot - still seems overly difficult to pick units up (although it seems to be better in flat 3D for some reason)
  • Interface - annoys me the small spelling errors around and the way the interface works at times (text overwriting where it is meant to be contained...popup text not being placed properly)
But that's all that springs to mind for me

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 1/27/2009 7:41:38 AM >

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 7
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 1/27/2009 2:08:41 PM   
Capitaine

Judge, well that would be a long list right now.  It's mainly discussed over on Ageod's forum.  There are a number of map errors, there are issues with reserves, merging detachments, interface glitches, AI stallling out, certain events not playing out as described, the music freezes...  It's much more playable now than before but there are a ton of "punch list" items IMO.  To me it's kind of like death by a thousand stings.  Some of the glitches might never be fixed because it's inherent in the program.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 8
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 1/27/2009 3:07:34 PM   
JudgeDredd

Clearly you've played it more than I have!

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 9
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 3/11/2009 5:40:41 PM   
EUBanana

So whats the word now?  Being a WW1 game fan I dearly want this game to be playable!

I might be getting bored of GoA - sacrilege, I know...

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 10
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 3/19/2009 9:18:03 PM   
Blueprint

patch 1.06b is available here:

http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13508

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 11
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 3/20/2009 5:40:49 AM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: EUBanana

So whats the word now?  Being a WW1 game fan I dearly want this game to be playable!

I might be getting bored of GoA - sacrilege, I know...

I have been using the 106b version with very good results. After approx 4 hours of play, I have not had any technical problems. So, to answer your question; I would say it is getting very close to a "strong buy" recommendation.

I have been a supporter of this game since its release, but have avoided recommending anyone to buy it just yet. If the next non beta patch runs as good as the current beta, I will have full confidence in recommending the game to any WW1 buff. At this point I think it is reasonably safe-the major snafus have been ironed out, plus many improvements. I'm not sure of its multiplayer functionality at this point. I'm not aware of any who have played online yet. I am ready to give that a whirl anytime now-I have a few days of peace-what better time for war?

Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to EUBanana)
Post #: 12
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 3/20/2009 10:13:19 AM   
Dabo

The game is really stable now I haven't had a CTD for ages, there are still few bugs but nothing you can't live with and I guess they will be ironed out. I think the area that really needs an improvement is the AI: it does a decent job in WEGO mode, but it's really awful in turn based army by army activation mode. As the central empires I usually manage to take Paris by spring 1915 while as entente player I'm always able to stop the Germans in Belgium well beyond the historical lines.

Given the complexity of the game I don't know if this will ever be fixed and it's a real pity since the army by army activation mode  captures the feeling of thrench warfare better than any WWI game (either pc or board game) I've played. BPEM would probably be the best was to play the game but given the number of interaction between the players it's almost impossible and given the lenght of the game I don't know if online play is really practical.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 13
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 3/20/2009 3:15:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Great to hear that v1.06b is being well received. As soon as it goes official, we'll host it here as well.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Dabo)
Post #: 14
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 3/20/2009 5:36:07 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dabo
BPEM would probably be the best was to play the game but given the number of interaction between the players it's almost impossible and given the lenght of the game I don't know if online play is really practical.

Email play is not a feature of the game, but online multilayer is.

You are right about PBEM game using the army by army activation, it would take forever to finish a game. I am playing a game now in the turn based mode-it adds some depth to the game, but even playing against the ai, it takes more time.
I think I will be sticking to wego mode long term.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Dabo)
Post #: 15
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 3/21/2009 9:04:24 AM   
JudgeDredd

I still have issues with the game and couldn't recommend it as a buy...unfortunately, the problems I have with the game will not be in a patch.

I still find it a nightmare to locate where a battle took place. Even taking other peoples recommendations on board, I use the breakthrough thing to see surrounding regions, but this brings me to my other gripe...I find the map extremely difficult to find anything. So even if I take the name of the region where there's a fight, I simply cannot find it.

My final gripe is again with the map. I find it nigh on impossible to distinguish between borders.

These are my own personal gripes and, like I said, prob not going to be fixed in a patch. In all honesty, how could I recommend a game if I have issues with it. Technically, it's there...but it is simply too rough on the map front for me.

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 16
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 3/21/2009 9:59:09 AM   
Blueprint

you should try this:

http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12690

http://www.ageod.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5697&d=1231958682

http://www.ageod.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6306&d=1235817881

< Message edited by Blueprint -- 3/21/2009 10:00:50 AM >

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 17
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 3/21/2009 7:54:53 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blueprint

you should try this:

Damn! I didn't know he made that last one. That JMass is some kind of graphics genius. Ageod should consider hiring him. His mod for Great Invasions not only made it look better, but made it run better-seriously.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Blueprint)
Post #: 18
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 3/23/2009 3:50:34 AM   
Anthropoid

quote:

patch 1.06b is available here:

http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13508

That is weird. I looked over at Ageod and it appears to have been utterly DEAD in the WWI forums for the past few weeks!?! And no link to any 1.06b patch either?

ADDIT: Okay I had a look at that thread; sounds like some things got better and maybe some things got worse, and some thing still have not been addressed. How can I say this without sound snarky . . . SHOULD I even say this . . . *sigh*

Yes, the truth should be told.

I resent paying $50 or $60 to be a Beta-tester, and no matter how beautiful a game I'm not prone to do it.

Were this a sequel to a game that I had played and loved, or were I recruited to be a beta-tester before I paid, that would be different. Here we have a situation where paying customers are acting as beta-testers. To me that just does not seem right. Maybe it is just reality, and there is nothing to be done for it, but honestly it does not seem right.

< Message edited by Anthropoid -- 3/23/2009 3:59:35 AM >

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Blueprint)
Post #: 19
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 3/24/2009 4:15:58 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

you should try this:

http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12690

http://www.ageod.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5697&d=1231958682

http://www.ageod.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6306&d=1235817881

Well thx for those links. I'm not convinced the transparent battle window is going to help though and I'm not convinced that the new map colours will help me distinguish borders, but I'll give it another look.

I'll tell you what happens - every time I fire this game up, I go through the same motions for setting up and selecting war plans etc, and then as soon as the first wave of battles kicks off, I'm lost and leave. That's about it.

I don't know...I'll have another look.

(in reply to Blueprint)
Post #: 20
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 3/24/2009 7:28:04 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd
I'll tell you what happens - every time I fire this game up, I go through the same motions for setting up and selecting war plans etc, and then as soon as the first wave of battles kicks off, I'm lost and leave. That's about it.

I have saved 2 of my favorite start ups just at the beginning of the first military phase-this cuts down on the tedium of going through all those start up actions.
The eastern provinces are tricky to get around/orientate yourself (unless, I suppose, one is from that part of the world). I make use of the mini map frequently to keep track of my location on the Eastern Front. The more you are exposed to the map, the easier it is to know where you are at. One easy step is to memorize the strategic cities. With a little luck, one of those will show in your battle screen or surrounding map. Memorizing all of the eastern provinces is a choir that I have not gotten into yet.

One other thing; use of the mini map is useful at several tasks, including seeing where you are dragging too using rail movement or redeploying.

quote:

ORIGINAL:
I don't know...I'll have another look.

Its getting better all the time. Its been a long and bumpy road.

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 21
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 3/31/2009 12:08:40 AM   
Blueprint

a player comment here: http://www.ageod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13706

(in reply to 06 Maestro)
Post #: 22
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 4/23/2009 4:42:15 AM   
06 Maestro

I just had 3 days to immerse myself in WW1 (even reading Cyril Falls "The Great War" at bed time) between a CotA MP game-wonderful 3 day's off. I have WW1 patched to 106 D and have played it for many hours as the CP in 2 player and 4 player (single country) mode. CTD's is a thing of the past. scrolling is smooth and the frustrating problem of attaching is gone. All in all, I would say it compares very favorably to other games now-a light year or so from where it was 5 months ago-or 3 for that matter.

Even though there are still improvements to be made (another beta is on the horizon) this game is there-now. I would not be surprised if the patches keep coming for many more months, but those won't be for fixing "game breakers", as those have been taken care of.

One odd thing about this game (similar to Great Invasions) is the number of pop up windows keeping you informed of everything. A couple of days ago, during an 8 hour session of play, I got serious about reducing the messages. It is all adjustable in the game menu. I cut it to the quick. Made a big difference for me.

If you are into the grand strategy of WW1 you should give this game a go.

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 4/25/2009 4:20:19 AM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Blueprint)
Post #: 23
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 6/1/2009 3:58:14 PM   
Berkut

Is there going to be an updated demo?

This looks intriguing, but I tried it a while back (at least the demo) and the bugs and impossible interface were a huge turnoff. I would love to see if those have been resolved, but it looks like the demo has not been updated?
Post #: 24
RE: Is It Ready Yet? - 6/1/2009 5:32:21 PM   
06 Maestro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Berkut

Is there going to be an updated demo?

There is a new version of the demo based on the 106d patch-either in the works or already made public. No doubt it will play better than the previous c patch demo.

New demo at:

http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/3rdParty/WW1/WW1_v1.0.6d_DEMO.zip

< Message edited by 06 Maestro -- 6/1/2009 5:33:48 PM >

Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Berkut)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> World War One Gold >> Is It Ready Yet? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI