Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just got the game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Maximum-Football Support >> Just got the game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just got the game - 2/22/2009 1:33:18 AM   
PeterS60

Hi,

Just got the game last week.
Am I missing something? I don't mean to sound like some irate jerk sounding off on one of these boards, but this seems like an AWFUL game.

The quarterbacks are only completing about 20% of their passes.
The quarterbacks get sacked about 40% of the time when they call passes.
Punt Returners and Kick Returners let the ball bounce over their head EVERY TIME.
The running backs get dropped for a loss 50% of the time.

The fact that you can see the players breath in front of their facemasks on a "cold" day is a nice touch, but I'd really prefer a game that plays football accurately.

I'm coaching against the computer sometimes, and the rest of the time I have the computer playing against itself. I've only played U.S. Pro rules.

Any suggestions? The way this game is running now, I feel like I've wasted my money.

Thanks,

Peter
Post #: 1
RE: Just got the game - 2/22/2009 2:17:48 AM   
garysorrell

Hey PeterS60, welcome.

First thing to know about the game, is that the default playbooks are junk. Go to the following thread, download the playbooks from Hack, dump the contents of the plays folder in his zip file, to the plays folder in your games directory. Let it overwrite anything. These playbooks will make an immediate difference in how the game plays for you, and makes the AI fairly competetive.
There are I think 6 or 7 that are complete and ready to go...assign those to your teams.
Coach_Brown, Coach_Miller, Coach_Williams, Coach_Smith, Coach_DavisJr, Coach_Wilson, Coach_Goode, are all ready to use.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2009837

Aside from that, the state of the game is a matter of taste for a lot of people here. Its a very moddable game, and many here enjoy the 'sandbox' way you can play it. Accepting the games flaws is a part of that.

Others have all but given up on it. The game is no longer supported by its developer, so it definately is a case of 'it is what it is'.

There are a ton of things at www.fbmax.com for the game. Try the playbooks above, see how it goes. Any questions, just ask on here, someone will be along to answer as best they can.

(in reply to PeterS60)
Post #: 2
RE: Just got the game - 2/23/2009 1:18:38 AM   
PeterS60

Gary,

Thanks for your help. I posted the same complaint/question on MaxMykal's board and Big Smooth and Mykal made the same suggestions about Hack's playbook, also some suggestions about changing the constants. I've done both, and things are running much better.

Flaws I can deal with, I didn't expect the game to be perfect (I hoped it would be, but I didn't expect it to be). I just want something that runs reasonably close to the real thing. For instance, if NFL passers are completing 60% on average, then the game should be somewhere between 50% and 70%, not 20% (or 95%, for that matter).

Again, thanks for your help. If I figure out anything to make the game better that I can pass on to everyone, I'll put it up on the board.

Thanks,

Peter

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 3
RE: Just got the game - 3/2/2009 4:51:15 PM   
mudrick

Pete, let me tell you one thing.  I am experiencing none of what you mentioned.  Not a single one.  I also have not changed any of the constants.  So do take the advice of some of the members that are more knowledgeable about the game.  I am not one of them, but I felt the need to let you know that this game can be and is pretty good.  Also make sure you are running the correct version.

(in reply to PeterS60)
Post #: 4
RE: Just got the game - 3/23/2009 4:20:35 PM   
busman

quote:

Others have all but given up on it. The game is no longer supported by its developer, so it definately is a case of 'it is what it is'.

Is this true that Maximum Football is no longer supported? I was considering purchasing this game; however, I'm reluctant to spend $40 for a dying product. I'm assume by "no longer supported" that means no future enhancements, no patches, no bug fixes, etc.

If this game is no longer supported, does anyone have any suggestions for a comparable game that is supported by its developer?

Thanks for any advice.

(in reply to garysorrell)
Post #: 5
RE: Just got the game - 3/23/2009 5:14:13 PM   
Tullius

The development cycle for MF 2.2 is over. There will be no patch in future. The developer David Winter works on MF 3.0 (look at his homepage) but we do not not know more.

But we are a little and active community and improving the game. It is the best to look at Mykals forum and get an an impression.

(in reply to busman)
Post #: 6
RE: Just got the game - 3/23/2009 6:08:31 PM   
busman

quote:

The development cycle for MF 2.2 is over. There will be no patch in future. The developer David Winter works on MF 3.0 (look at his homepage) but we do not not know more.

So the support of 2.2 is over but there are future plans for a 3.0? That makes me feel better. I was concerned that the entire game was being dropped.

I did look at Mykals site, and there's lots of great stuff there.

I used to play Front Page Football a decade ago, and MaxFB looked to be similar in nature. That's what made me interested in MaxFB over other PC sim games on the market.

Thanks for the info.

(in reply to Tullius)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Maximum-Football Support >> Just got the game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI