Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WWII films - what is your favorite?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> WWII films - what is your favorite? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WWII films - what is your favorite? - 10/20/2000 7:23:00 AM   
Latka

I was recently browsing the list of "war" films over at www.imdb.com (Internet Movie Database) and thought I'd ask you folks for your thoughts. Which films do you like? I know that many were made with less than accurate details, so I'd like to see which ones hold up to the scrutinizing bunch that y'all are On the same subject - I caught "Mister Rogers" on American Movie Classics (AMC I think it is) a couple weeks ago. They had footage of MCAS Kaneohe Bay (where I served in the Marine Corps, and now... I live right across the bay from it) from the late 50s or early 60s. Quite a hoot to see the very hangars I walked around thousands of times at night in film! -Andy

Post #: 1
- 10/20/2000 7:46:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I have always been a war movie addict. It began as a kid. I've been around so long I saw "Sands of Iwo Jima" when it came to the Paramount Theatre back in the late 40s. And some earlier than that. Without trying to sound pompous or bragging, I have been able to collect over 250 videos of war movies from through today. This includes nearly all the episodes of Tour of Duty. Now after more than 50 years of watching war movies, which is my all time favorite? Wow, hard choice! Some stand out for authenticity, some for their entertainment value. I'm still trying to decide. Right now it would appear to be Saving Private Ryan. I have to recommend one other that stands out so strongly in my mind. There is no real combat in the film, but it is a gripping tale of Admiral Bull Halsey when he relieves Admiral Ghormley to take over the battle for Guadalcanal. "The Gallant Hours." Another very gripping one, and apparently little known, is one called "The Victors," following an infantry unit from North Africa to post-war Germany. The ending will stun you! Oops, more than one. At the moment, however, it's still SPR. I can't get that movie out of my mind. Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 2
- 10/20/2000 8:05:00 AM   
Drake

Will for me 1. Des Boot 2. Stalingrad 3. Glory Will could add a lot more to this list but for all time favorite and I dont see that changeing and that is Des boot. Cant remember how many times I have seen it. Seen Wild Bill list Saving Private Ryan as his, I found that mavie ok but I cound not see what all the fuse was about it. Gess you got to be an amarican to really like that one. As for war related movies I would have to list Shenlers List. First time I seen that I could not move from my seat.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 3
- 10/20/2000 8:09:00 AM   
Latka

quote:

I have always been a war movie addict. It began as a kid. I've been around so long I saw "Sands of Iwo Jima" when it came to the Paramount Theatre back in the late 40s. And some earlier than that
Wow. I guess you've seen *all* the war movies then, eh? SPR was quite a movie. The shock of the beach landing when we saw it in the theater...man. That was the first (and only to this point) movie where people walked out at the end in total silence. Even with the techical innacuracies (I know of a few, and I'm sure there are more) it was quite a powerful movie. I mentioned in another post that I picked up "A Bridge Too Far(1977)" the other day on DVD. I had forgotten just how many "big" names there were in that movie! Jeez... after looking at the cast again, I wonder how much it'd cost them in salaries alone to do the duplicate today! http://us.imdb.com/Title?0075784
  • Dirk Bogarde .... Lieutenant General Frederick 'Roy' Browning
  • James Caan .... Staff Sergeant Eddie Dohun
  • Michael Caine .... Lieutenant Colonel Joe Vandeleur
  • Sean Connery .... Major General Roy Urquhart
  • Edward Fox .... Lieutenant General Brian Horrocks
  • Elliott Gould .... Colonel Bobby Stout
  • Gene Hackman .... Major General Stanislaw Sosabowski
  • Anthony Hopkins .... Lieutenant Colonel John Frost
  • Hardy Krüger .... Major General Ludwig
  • Laurence Olivier .... Doctor Spaander
  • Ryan O'Neal .... Briragier General James M. Gavin
  • Robert Redford .... Major Julian Cook
  • Maximilian Schell .... Lieutenant General Wilhelm Bittrich
  • Liv Ullmann .... Kate Ter Horst
  • Denholm Elliott .... RAF Meteorological Officer
  • [/list]

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 4
- 10/20/2000 8:53:00 AM   
Ismael

Cross of Iron Gunga Din 300 Spartans Gettysburg The Beast 12 O'clock High Kelly's Heroes Lawrence of Arabia The Battle of Austerlitz War and Peace The Deer Hunter The Battle of Britain Saving Private Ryan Das Boot A Bridge Too Far Zulu The Longest Day Lion of the Desert The Dirty Dozen The Blue Max Sahara Fail Safe Dr. Strangelove Sink the Bismark [This message has been edited by Ismael (edited October 22, 2000).]

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 5
- 10/20/2000 8:56:00 AM   
dox44

Which films do you like? "a midnight clear" "geronimo" "rough riders"

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 6
- 10/20/2000 9:25:00 AM   
Hauptmann6

In no order Winter War Zulu Gettysburg Hamburger Hill

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 7
- 10/20/2000 9:33:00 AM   
degen

I've always liked The Longest Day. The movie covers the invasion from many different vantage points and tries to show what the people felt during it. The humor is also great, especially the German officer getting blown to smithereens in the pillbox while his HQ is doubting the existence of the invasion.

"I would have much rather that he had given me one more division" - Rommel after receiving his field marshall baton

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 8
- 10/20/2000 11:32:00 AM   
Maelstrom

WW2... The Longest Day The Guns of Navarone SPR Midway Modern.. The Beast (Hey tank boy!) Hunt for the Red October

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 9
- 10/20/2000 1:06:00 PM   
JN

My alltime favorite would be "The Unknown Soldier", the old version from '55. And the other great finnish war movie "The Winter War" (There is a longer TV series version that was shown on finnish TV which is really cool)

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 10
- 10/20/2000 1:24:00 PM   
Fredde

JN, I agree.. the old version of 'The unknown soldier', the most realistic war movie i have seen.. the newer version isn't bad either. Winter War is also very good. Saving private Ryan, i had big hopes for that movie after watching the first couple of scenes.. but unfortunately, it fell down to the usual hollywoodish heroistic tradition in the latter part. Too bad..

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 11
- 10/20/2000 1:38:00 PM   
Lars Remmen

As for WW2 movies: Das Boot Stalingrad Die Brücke ------------------ Lars Nec Timide - Nec Temere

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 12
- 10/20/2000 1:40:00 PM   
Red Baron

1): Das Boot 2): Gettysburg 3): Platoon 4): Kelly's Heroes 5): The Deer Hunter 6): Saving Private Ryan And in the odities dep. Not of it´s qualities but, more because of CE. I just love the scen where he sit´s on top of the hill after the battle and smoking his cigar 7) :Suddenly i can´t remmeber the English title?? It´s the one with the US invasion on Grenada.Tranlated from Danish "Elite Soldier" Well, there could many more films to that list, but those above was the first ones to pop up in my mind. Regards..Red Baron. ------------------ "SEMPER PARATUS" An Old Hawk Soldier Is Allways Ready!! [This message has been edited by Red Baron (edited October 20, 2000).]

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 13
- 10/20/2000 1:43:00 PM   
Red Baron

1) as Boot 2):Gettysburg 3):Platoon 4):Kelly's Heroes 5):The Deer Hunter 6):Saving Private Ryan And in the odities dep. Not of it´s qualities but, more because of CE. I just love the scen where he sit´s on top of the hill after the battle and smoking his cigar 7):Suddenly i can´t remmeber the English title?? It´s the one with the US invasion on Grenada.Tranlated from Danish "Elite Soldier" Well, there could many more films to that list, but those above was the first ones to pop up in my mind. Regards..Red Baron. ------------------ "SEMPER PARATUS" An Old Hawk Soldier Is Allways Ready!!

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 14
- 10/20/2000 2:00:00 PM   
Latka

Dang, Red Baron... I can see the movie you're talking about. Clint Eastwood as a US Marine. Heartbreak Ridge (1986)...that's it! http://us.imdb.com/Title?0091187

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 15
- 10/20/2000 3:05:00 PM   
silentsurfer

Saving Pvt Ryan-best and hardest hitting war movie ever made. Amoung the other good ones: Stalingrad cross of iron midnight clear-little known movie, well worth the rental Most war movies I've seen are at least in the "fair" catagory. One noteable exception: In the "Holy crap, that sucked" departement...Thin red line. I'm not even going to go into one of my rants on how much I hated that movie. Sufice to say, I walked out about half way through, I think it was about the 7 hr mark, so that would put it about half way, wouldnt it? Cheers Surfer

what the ....

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 16
- 10/20/2000 3:53:00 PM   
Red Baron

quote:

Originally posted by Latka: Dang, Red Baron... I can see the movie you're talking about. Clint Eastwood as a US Marine. Heartbreak Ridge (1986)...that's it! http://us.imdb.com/Title?0091187
Yep!..That´s the movie..Just love CE in that movie Red Baron. ------------------ "SEMPER PARATUS" An Old Hawk Soldier Is Allways Ready!!

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 17
- 10/20/2000 4:40:00 PM   
TheOriginalOverlord

One nobody has mentioned.....Attack Force Z. Mel Gibson in the Pacific, not too bad of a flick. His whole team is running around behind enemy lines with silenced "Grease Guns", there are some good scenes in there. ------------------ Semper Fi! Overlord

Semper Fi!

Jeremy

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 18
- 10/20/2000 5:11:00 PM   
Heartland

quote:

Originally posted by Fredde: Saving private Ryan, i had big hopes for that movie after watching the first couple of scenes.. but unfortunately, it fell down to the usual hollywoodish heroistic tradition in the latter part. Too bad..
Have to agree here. The first twenty minutes are just brilliant, then it's downhill. The final fight could just as easily have taken place on the Death Star...and in fact reminds me of Star Wars to some degree. Had it been marketed as such it would have been okay, but it was supposed to be super-realistic. My list: - Thin Red Line. Numero uno, probably favourite movie all categories. Got it on DVD and it's just stunning. - Das Boot - Piece of Cake. Eexcellent British mini-series about Spitfire pilots. - Cross of Iron - Stalingrad - That Australian mini-series about WW1 which I can never remember the name of, with Paul Hogan among others! - The Beast - Kelly's Heroes - Dr Strangelove Ooops, that's not WWII movies, but war movies in general. Oh well! [This message has been edited by Fredrik Rask (edited October 20, 2000).]

"Spare some change for a homocidal maniac..."
-- Homeless guy in the London subway

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 19
- 10/20/2000 6:09:00 PM   
xavier

1) Stalingrad. 2) Cross of Iron. 3) first twenty minuts of SPR. 4) Das Boot. 5) others... I never saw "winter war". Where can I find it ? XAAL.

xaal

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 20
- 10/20/2000 7:07:00 PM   
El Che

My favorite war movies are “Cross of Iron”, “Stalingrad” and “A bridge to far” But I saw one that although is not my favorite at all, none of you had mentioned: “The Battle for Moscow” A soviet four hours (yes for hours!) Pre-Perestroika Neo-Stalinist propaganda film made on 1985 (puagh!). I’m serious the movie its a disaster: some times looks like a movie, some other times looks like a documental. During the battles the Russians kill mountains of Germans, so you want to ask “Hey, If you kill that much of your enemies, why are you on full retreat?” And during one battle there is a Russian soldier who say a poem about the courage of the red army. So all the movie is the eulogy of the party in such terms that even the members of the party could understand. But it have some interesting points: 1- The actor who plays Zhukov its incredible: He looks like Zhukov, he acts like Zhukov, he press his teeth as you imaging that Zhukov did, he dismisses inapt general as you could wait of Zhukov, and he stopped the Nazis at the gates of Moscow as Zhukov. 2- There are a lot (A LOT) of T-34 and Pz-IV fighting in a lot of battles. Although they are a mix of T-34 model 1941, 1942, 1943 and even T-34/85 fighting during the defense of Moscow, and the Pz-IV seems to be models g or f2(s). 3- Finally, the film shows you all the battles fought during the campaign, and even explains you the tactic and strategic importance of each of them. ------------------ No Pasarán!!

Hasta la victoria siempre!

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 21
- 10/20/2000 8:15:00 PM   
Supervisor

Cross of Iron-the best recreation of havoc on the Eastern Front. The 2nd best recreation of East Front Fighting is the first 10 minutes of "The Eagle has Landed" Das Boot Stalingrad The Bridge A Bridge Too Far The Great Escape ------------------ Grenadier Matrix Games Technical Writer

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 22
- 10/20/2000 8:27:00 PM   
JN

quote:

Originally posted by Fredde: JN, I agree.. the old version of 'The unknown soldier', the most realistic war movie i have seen.. the newer version isn't bad either. Winter War is also very good.
For me the movie ("Unknown Soldier" old version) captured some of the feelings I myself had when I was in the army. (Except for the parts where people got killed of course ) Especilly the fact that there can be moments of "fun" in all the madness that war really is. A lot of movies fail to capture the comradeship between soldiers. When watching some Hollywood war-movies I just get the feeling that the characters seem to hate everyone else, maybe thats's just the american way .

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 23
- 10/20/2000 8:33:00 PM   
xavier

The Battle for Moscow” ------------------------------------------- Hello El Che Where can I find this movie ? Han pasado ! XAAL.

xaal

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 24
- 10/20/2000 9:27:00 PM   
Hauptmann6

quote:

Originally posted by xavier: I never saw "winter war". Where can I find it ? XAAL.
I belive I got my copy from Belle and Blade. You won't find it in a video store or rental place unfortunatly. Haupt

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 25
- 10/20/2000 9:48:00 PM   
RUsco

To Hell and Back.Audie Murphy Tora Tora Tora Sgt. York Midway

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 26
- 10/20/2000 10:05:00 PM   
Peregrine Falcon

quote:

Originally posted by Latka: Which films do you like?
Not in any specific order: Das Boot (Director's Cut) Thin Red Line Stalingrad The Last Bullet Saving Private Ryan Talvisota (The Winter War) Tuntematon Sotilas (The Unknown Soldier) The Burmese Harp Tora Tora Tora! Of course, on DVD (most of them) [This message has been edited by Peregrine Falcon (edited October 21, 2000).]

--Peregrine Falcon--

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 27
- 10/20/2000 11:12:00 PM   
Colonel Klink

great question and here's my list.. Bing. (in no particular order) 1. Judgement at Nuremberg - Burt Lancaster puts in a fantastic emotional performance as Judge Ernst Janning. Kudos to Maximillian Schell for an equally (and oscar winning) riveting performance as the Defense Counselor. If you like courtroom drama in a ww2 setting this movie is for you. See a very young william shatner and colonel klink before he was colonel klink (a younger werner klemperer). Spencer Tracy and Marlene Dietrich (fraulein.. Jah!) round out the cast. 2. The Battle of Britain: air war over england 3. Sahara: Humphrey Bogart as a tough US sergeant caught up in Rommel's Desert War. Check out the authentic grant tank. (this film made during the war) 4. Sink the Bismark: naval epic 5. Saving Private Ryan: no text necessary 6. Das Boot (directors cut): same here.. a classic 7. Von Ryan's Express: haven't seen it in ages but an exciting movie 8. Operation Daybreak: Based on the real life event.. brit/polish commandos drop into czechslovakia to assasinate Himmler's deputy Reinhart Heidrich. 9. To Hell and Back: saw this while i was still in diapers. Made a huge impact on me. 10. Patton: saw this one at the theatre. i was about 8 years old. 11. Kelly's Heroes/Battle of the Bulge/The Longest Day/The Great Escape: i've seen these films a zillion times and are all time classics. 12. A Bridge too Far: seen it a zillion times. good movie.. better book. 13. Europa Europa: a fascinating true story 14. Stalingrad: the tank scene is worth the price of admission alone 15. Stalag 17: William Holden shines in this one. also stars a young peter graves. 16. Bridge over the River Kwai: another holden film. brits build a bridge 17. Dr. Strangelove: not ww2 but worth mentioning 18. The Blue Max: ww1 flying over enemy lines. very good 19. Schindler's List: Subject matter worth mentioning and remembering [This message has been edited by Colonel Klink (edited October 20, 2000).]

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 28
- 10/21/2000 3:29:00 AM   
Zarquon

Blackadder goes forth Das Boot Apocalypse now (not WWII but some cool scenes, realistic or not.) Actually haven't seen that many war movies, but those two I've seen several times,

The past is a fiction created to account for the discrepancies between my immeditate physical sensations and my state of mind.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 29
- 10/21/2000 4:31:00 AM   
Huffy

Hey guys....all great movies you've mentioned...but ..anyone know if "The Beast " is out on DVD?...been looking for it for a long time now. Hey...another thought..how about they re-make the movie "Battle of the Bulge" with the up to date movie technology. Huffy

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> WWII films - what is your favorite? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI