Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 10/21/2000 4:47:00 AM   
jpgr

In no particular order... The Longest Day The Great Escape Bridge over the River Kwai Midway (especially that Rochefort guy ;-) ) However the movie this weekend is The Last Detail, been yakking a little too much about it at work. George IYADSYAS President of A.P.A.T.H.E.T.I.C.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 31
- 10/21/2000 4:49:00 AM   
panzerfist

when the trumpets fade is pretty good. i also liked "the big red one". i watched the hell out of that when i was young. i think, by far the best ww2 movie out in recent times is saving private ryan. i am anxious to see the hbo special he is working on with tom hanks.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 32
- 10/21/2000 5:18:00 AM   
M4 Jess Housley

#1 of all time... CROSS OF IRON !

I remember the Tigers...poor lost kittys....Here Kitty..kitty

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 33
- 10/21/2000 5:30:00 AM   
Bonzo

My (current) Favs: Stalingrad (1993 version) Stalingrad (50's version) Capitaine Conan (Great French WWI'er) The Light Horse Men (Anzacs in Palastine) Is Paris Burning? When Trumpets Fade While the special effects of the newer Stalingrad are great, the story of the older version seems better to me. Both share a lot of the same elements. Bonzo ------------------ Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Coordinator 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters http://dreadnaught.home.icq.com [email]nwbattalion@icqmail.com[/email]

Robert (Bonzo) Lindsay, Webmaster 28th (North-west) Battalion Headquarters Main http://www.nwbattalion.com E-mail

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 34
- 10/21/2000 5:45:00 AM   
mogami

WHAT????? Not one mention of that classic from Japan "ZERO"???? You people have to get out more this movie tells the "Real" story of WWII in the pacific. Ismael named every movie I like, except "Red Badge of Courge", "What Price Glory" and Kirk Douglas "I'll take the ant hill" ("Paths of Glory) to repeat some others have mentioned also "Stalag 17", "Pork Chop Hill", "12 o'clock high","Bridge over the river Kwi","Lawerance of Arabria","A walk in the Sun" I could go on and on........... ------------------ I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a differant direction!

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 35
- 10/21/2000 7:25:00 AM   
Flashfyre

I, too, am a "war movie" buff.... Here is my list of greats: For sheer realism of combat, Saving Private Ryan. However, storyline left something to be desired. For armchair-gripping, teeth-chattering suspense, Das Boot. For all-star casting and unabashed glory(Allies nations), A Bridge Too Far. As an old Navy man, a tie between In Harm's Way and Midway. Too bad John Wayne didn't do both. For outstanding special effects and cinematography, Full Metal Jacket. The scene in the head made the whole movie. For great scripting and storyline, The Bridge on the River Kwai. Technicals a bit off, tho. For best historic piece, Gettysburg. If you study the American Civil War, this one hits on all shots. Overall, my favorite one would have to be A Bridge Too Far. So many great actors, so many great lines, so much great scenery. A winner.

The Motor Pool http://www.geocities.com/aurion_eq/index.html?976419304550 [email]kmcferren@onemain.com[/email]

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 36
- 10/21/2000 7:54:00 PM   
El Che

quote:

Originally posted by xavier: The Battle for Moscow”
Well Xavier, I live in Argentina, and I saw this movie here in a theater specialized in films form Russia, Poland, and other east Europeans countries. Where do you live? Spain? May be you could look in some video store specialized in east European films. This film was also exhibited on cable TV some years ago, and I think that I had video recorded it. But I’m not sure... I’ll take a look in my collection (is not going to be very easy because I had moved one year ago and I threw a lot of things. If I didn’t lost it and you can not found it may be I can send you a copy. “Das Boot”! How could I forget this one!! There was another good one (not that good, but very good) about submarine war fare, I don’t know the original title in English, in Spanish they translated it as “El zorro del mar”, “The sea fox”. Is one on which Robert Mitchum is the captain of a US navy ship which fought against a German sub. Saludos, El Che PS. Sí, lo sé. No sólo “han pasado”, si no que hasta se podría decir que “lo han hecho por encima nuestro.” Pero siempre se puede levantar una nueva barricada y resistir con el mismo grito.

Hasta la victoria siempre!

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 37
- 10/21/2000 7:57:00 PM   
El Che

quote:

Originally posted by Mogami: WHAT????? Not one mention of that classic from Japan "ZERO"???? You people have to get out more this movie tells the "Real" story of WWII in the pacific. Ismael named every movie I like, except "Red Badge of Courge", "What Price Glory" and Kirk Douglas "I'll take the ant hill" ("Paths of Glory) to repeat some others have mentioned also "Stalag 17", "Pork Chop Hill", "12 o'clock high","Bridge over the river Kwi","Lawerance of Arabria","A walk in the Sun" I could go on and on...........
Wait! I saw ZERO!! It's really good, isn't it? What about Memphis Belle? ------------------ No Pasarán!!

Hasta la victoria siempre!

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 38
- 10/21/2000 11:17:00 PM   
GI Seve

OK some of my favorites in random order : Finnish "Talvisota" allso finnish movie "Tuntematon sotilas" (Wich I really hope would be remade with modern way as Talvisota was made ... awesome explosions and shooting scenes .. really see bullets on night fights) "Stalingrad"(no need to say more of good movie) "Thin red line" (one of best I recon) "Full metal jacket" "Saving pvt. Ryan" (Way too much Hollywood **** after that awesome landing scene) "Kelly's heroes" (best is that scene when those Shermans run out of railroad tunnel into middle of amazed gerries ) "Big red one" (nice film) "Gettysburg" (nice film about US civil war thought I saw it only as tv-serie cut in 3 parts) "Hamburger hill" + Some other wich names I can't remember right now .. Films that I don't really like happend to be those wich glorify some country too much (ahem ... US .. krh .. US .. trr.. US ... )and one finnish movie called "Rukajärven tie"(IT SUCKS) I really wish to see movie "Patton" one day ... Some nice(not exactly good) movies were "Guns of Navarone" , "Eagles are listening"(maybe got name wrong) and " Bridge over the River Kwai" Some offtopic stuff: Damn Im frustrated fighting hotseat fight with friend on yrs -44,-45 with Germans .. damn that morale/experience loss they get If I get regular infantry I get some serious boot from Guards infantry and if I pick SS/Fallschmirjaegers I have too small amount of infantry .Same bad morale/exp eats BIG part of German tanks efectiveness.

HallelujaaGobble!

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 39
- 10/21/2000 11:27:00 PM   
Fuerte

I'm not expert on this but here it goes: * Talvisota (Winter War) * Deerhunter * Killing Fields I realized that I was out of topic on the last two. [This message has been edited by Fuerte (edited October 21, 2000).]

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 40
- 10/21/2000 11:37:00 PM   
Bondy

Stalingrad - No, not perfect but my fave east front film, pretty terrifying. The Bridge - More obscure, but very well movie. Iron Cross - Another intersting east front movie. Das Boot - The most terrifying. As good as it gets.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 41
- 10/22/2000 1:49:00 AM   
Latka

Did anyone see U-571? I never got a chance to see it while it was in the theaters... was it worth watching? -Andy

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 42
- 10/22/2000 1:58:00 AM   
Lars Remmen

quote:

Originally posted by Latka: Did anyone see U-571? I never got a chance to see it while it was in the theaters... was it worth watching? -Andy
The rewievs have been good. So it might be worth watching if you do not mind the rewrite of history... ------------------ Lars Nec Timide - Nec Temere

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 43
- 10/22/2000 2:01:00 AM   
Tortfeasor

quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: I have always been a war movie addict. It began as a kid. I've been around so long I saw "Sands of Iwo Jima" when it came to the Paramount Theatre back in the late 40s. And some earlier than that. Without trying to sound pompous or bragging, I have been able to collect over 250 videos of war movies from through today. This includes nearly all the episodes of Tour of Duty. Now after more than 50 years of watching war movies, which is my all time favorite? Wow, hard choice! Some stand out for authenticity, some for their entertainment value. I'm still trying to decide. Right now it would appear to be Saving Private Ryan. I have to recommend one other that stands out so strongly in my mind. There is no real combat in the film, but it is a gripping tale of Admiral Bull Halsey when he relieves Admiral Ghormley to take over the battle for Guadalcanal. "The Gallant Hours." Another very gripping one, and apparently little known, is one called "The Victors," following an infantry unit from North Africa to post-war Germany. The ending will stun you! Oops, more than one. At the moment, however, it's still SPR. I can't get that movie out of my mind. Wild Bill

My opinion might have been changed, but not the fact that I am correct.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 44
- 10/22/2000 2:06:00 AM   
bob lawn

I thought 'All Quiet On the Western Front' was marvellous; I also liked 'Big Red One', Schindler,Bridge Too Far,Bridge at Remagen, amongst others. 'Private Ryan' was too fearsomely close to the bone ever to be a favourite, but i can see why so many consider it so good. bob

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 45
- 10/22/2000 2:19:00 AM   
Tortfeasor

Wow 250 movies but not the real one, i mean the Finnish film "The Unknown Soldier", the old black and wite version from '55. For so astounding game you have made to us all. Is there anyone ho would send as a present the "Unknown Soldier", the old black and wite version to Wild Bill for war evaluation.
quote:

Originally posted by Wild Bill: I have always been a war movie addict. It began as a kid. I've been around so long I saw "Sands of Iwo Jima" when it came to the Paramount Theatre back in the late 40s. And some earlier than that. Without trying to sound pompous or bragging, I have been able to collect over 250 videos of war movies from through today. This includes nearly all the episodes of Tour of Duty. Now after more than 50 years of watching war movies, which is my all time favorite? Wow, hard choice! Some stand out for authenticity, some for their entertainment value. I'm still trying to decide. Right now it would appear to be Saving Private Ryan. I have to recommend one other that stands out so strongly in my mind. There is no real combat in the film, but it is a gripping tale of Admiral Bull Halsey when he relieves Admiral Ghormley to take over the battle for Guadalcanal. "The Gallant Hours." Another very gripping one, and apparently little known, is one called "The Victors," following an infantry unit from North Africa to post-war Germany. The ending will stun you! Oops, more than one. At the moment, however, it's still SPR. I can't get that movie out of my mind. Wild Bill

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 46
- 10/22/2000 6:24:00 AM   
xavier

If I didn’t lost it and you can not found it may be I can send you a copy. ------------------------------------------- Well, I will try to find it, but I don't know if there are video stores specialized in movies from east countries in Belgium... If you find your copy, I will pay you for sending me a copy. -___________________________________________ Pero siempre se puede levantar una nueva barricada y resistir con el mismo grito. ----------------------------------------- Si, hasta la victoria siempre !!!... XAAL.

xaal

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 47
- 10/22/2000 7:41:00 AM   
Rhone

I find it intersting that Wild Bill, after all the movies, and with apparently the heyday of WWII war movies behind us that the best movie might possibly be Saving Private Ryan. I must admit I have never been so moved by a war movie as I was SPR. Regardless of how historically accurate it was (or wasn't), it is by far the most detailed account in a movie of what war might have been like. And that is an achievement all into itself. IMHO.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 48
- 10/22/2000 9:27:00 AM   
troopie

"A Bridge too far." for a serious war movie. "Days of Glory" for laughs. Gregory Peck, Donna Reed, Zero Mostel, Allen Reed" It had every Heroic Soviet Partisan cliche in the book. And it was an American movie. "The Hill" with Sean Connery (The real James Bond) troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 49
- 10/22/2000 7:11:00 PM   
Fuerte

Timothy Dalton was the real 007.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 50
- 10/22/2000 8:31:00 PM   
Supervisor

In no particular order, the WWII flicks I especially like are: 1) The Young Lions 2) The Enemy Below 3) Das Boot 4) Saving Private Ryan 5) Twelve O'clock High

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 51
- 10/22/2000 11:22:00 PM   
Supervisor

Here, here. The closest to what Ian Fleming wrote yet. The first 15 minutes of Living Daylights shoiwcased what the Real Bond was all about.
quote:

Originally posted by Fuerte: Timothy Dalton was the real 007.
------------------ Grenadier Matrix Games Technical Writer

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 52
- 10/23/2000 8:19:00 AM   
Zarquon

But just the first 15 minutes... Face it, the only thing the books and movies have in common are the main character and the titles. Given that, I prefer Sean Connery. At least he had a Brittish car,8)

The past is a fiction created to account for the discrepancies between my immeditate physical sensations and my state of mind.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 53
- 10/23/2000 8:42:00 AM   
PanzerMeyer

In no particular Order: Das Boot Cross of Iron Saving Private Ryan Kelly's Heroes A Bridge too Far Stalingrad Zulu Waterloo Apocalypse Now A Midnight Clear Dr Strangelove (or how I learned to stop worrying and love the Bomb) Bridge on the river Kwai Full Metal Jacket Platoon Three Kings

Meine Ehre HeiBt Treue 4SSPzRgt "Der Furher", 1939-45

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 54
- 10/23/2000 11:43:00 AM   
Latka

I don't know how 007 snuck into this...but Sean Connery is *the* James Bond in my book

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 55
- 10/23/2000 1:33:00 PM   
Tortfeasor

Have anyone non finn seen "The Unknown Soldier" the old version from '1955. if not, well you can get it from http://us.imdb.com/CommentsShow?48752 I think its the best movie and the most realistic one. Is there any ho disagree. Date: 27 September 1999 Summary: A Finnish infantry company with machine guns fights against the Red Army. The movie is based on a brilliant and realistic book (Unknown soldier) about the "Continuation War" between Finland and Soviet Union from 1941 to 1944. After the initial fast attack phase the war turns into sleepy trench warfare (1942-44), then (1944)the company has to retreat and finally stop the storming Red Army forces. There exists a wide spectrum of characters from cowards to heroes, from peasant rank-and-file soldiers to cocky officers. The scale in personalities and changing situations of war, which are credibly described, makes the movie a spectacle. It helps a lot if one knows some of the underlying history, but the story is rather universal tale of the cruelty of war and the men who have to live and die for their country and different motives. The language with dialects is versatile, but in Finnish only. This old version (1955) is in my opinion better than the later one (1985).

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 56
- 10/23/2000 4:16:00 PM   
Ilja Varha

Tuntematon Sotilas Talvisota Das Boot Rukajärven Tie The Beast (great atmosphere when viewed with big enough screen and dolby surround systems) Thin Red is toooooo damn long (30 minutes and I was sleeping), and SPR is too hollywoodish hero stuff (yes, the beach attack was realistic)... Ilja

Ilja Varha Leader (and proud of it!)of the SPMW development team.

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 57
- 10/23/2000 4:38:00 PM   
Der_Rabe

My order of the best war films 1. "unknown soldier" Fin 1955 (tuntematon sotilas) : Real fighting scenes, no hollywood **** with stars and stripes(no offence). Comradeship, real equipment. Like the scene where scatchel charge thrown at bunker(nice toss) 2. talvisota "winter war" : Real t-26's, creates the feeling to fight against ten times bigger enemy. "hey guys do you thing you could drink one of these molotov coctails? They are from the rajamaki booze factory?" 3. Kellys heroes : The tank crew is just so lazy as i back in the army, while in the heavy transport troops. These three films are really worth watching. 2 realistic films and one good comedy. -Rabe

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 58
- 10/23/2000 6:37:00 PM   
spartacus

Best war movie actor: George “Patton” Scott (in “Patton”, of course) Best sea warfare movie: Das Boot Best air warfare movie: Memphis Belle Best action scene in a war movie: the landing scene on “Saving Private Ryan” Best saying in a war movie: “- Do you believe in God Sargent Steiner?” “- I believe that God is a sadistic.” From “Cross of Iron”

(in reply to Latka)
Post #: 59
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI