Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

more budget for fancier graphics ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> more budget for fancier graphics ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
more budget for fancier graphics ? - 3/30/2009 8:09:22 AM   
inquisiteur

I remember when I bought COI I noticed that a few maps had better graphics and I thoughts that this would lead the way to a future overhaul on this field.

I was wondering if, instead of releasing a version with improved gameplay matrixgames can, for a change, release a version where the focus is solely on graphics. I'm not speaking about 3d stuff, but fancy stuff, or I would say, fancier stuff.

Ingame tanks and units could use better drawings, I noticed that I can set color palette to 16 bits only in this game, the maps have always a bit a bland feeling. I'm ok with the icon though, my concern is only for units on map. The static interface (main screen, map, debriefing, force pool selection) would also use better visuals.

Would be good if people can share their opinion whether at this point graphics start mattering more than gameplay.

< Message edited by inquisiteur -- 3/30/2009 8:12:22 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 3/30/2009 10:01:38 AM   
Andrew Williams

They are both considered important.

Advances in one does not preclude advances in the other.

And Budgets... don't get me started on budgets.........

(in reply to inquisiteur)
Post #: 2
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 3/30/2009 12:17:51 PM   
berndn

I would prefer adding a new functionality like the one I have edited into my screenshot. Would at least help me and others and would defintley give the needed 3D information about height.

Just an idea :)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 3
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 3/30/2009 5:28:55 PM   
Southernland

don't get me started on topography  LOL 

(in reply to berndn)
Post #: 4
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 3/31/2009 7:02:05 AM   
berndn

Hehe,
but for me this is what's needed. A lot more then fancier graphics because I know that the community has done incredible addons due to the fact that all is 2D and that with time you can create great graphics.

The engine let's you see the difference in height using the right mouse click. But a small little addon using the right, free place of the bar would help to imagine 3D character much more instead of 'leveling' the whole which would be a work around but the worst workaround because height advantages has been used and plays a big role IMO.

I, however, agree or can imagine that what was easy as a picture edit is a lot of work in 'foreign' source code. And to be honest, I believe that most part is still 'foreign' source code.

But it's nice to dream :)

(in reply to Southernland)
Post #: 5
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 3/31/2009 9:12:24 AM   
Southernland

Got to admit its a nice solution.  i guess your window would stretch to encompass how far out you've "drawn' your LOS

PS must be late in the GC... You've ot a lot of Pzshcreaks showing in your forcepool

(in reply to berndn)
Post #: 6
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 3/31/2009 9:27:37 AM   
berndn

Not late but unfortunatly a BG against me with a lot of shermans and no place to hide my guns. I tried but in the end it showed that playing against the AI with some nice houses around it's better to ambush with the Panzerschrecks until I can bring in my regular infantry or replace with a better BG.

Post #: 7
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 3/31/2009 6:46:37 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

Surely graphics are an area where the game is almost completely open to modding? So we should ask the developers to concentrate elsewhere, under the hood, in the engine and in new areas beyond the scope of modding.

(in reply to berndn)
Post #: 8
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 4/1/2009 12:28:17 AM   
TheReal_Pak40

quote:

ORIGINAL: CSO_Talorgan

Surely graphics are an area where the game is almost completely open to modding? So we should ask the developers to concentrate elsewhere, under the hood, in the engine and in new areas beyond the scope of modding.

I agree. Improved tactical and deployment AI would be a much wiser investment.

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 9
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 4/1/2009 3:00:09 AM   
Tejszd

Definitely want to see more code changes over graphic changes at this time.

Though I do agree at some point there will have to be a graphics overall (would love to see everything at the same pixels per meter instead of the 3 different used today) and make the environment more alive (dynamic shadows, running water, tank tracks, etc.)....

(in reply to TheReal_Pak40)
Post #: 10
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 4/1/2009 12:22:55 PM   
killroyishere

quote:

Would be good if people can share their opinion whether at this point graphics start mattering more than gameplay.

Imho graphics will never be at the top of my list over AI improvements. i'd play with 8bit graphics again if the ai in wargames played like Blue. Once the AI is top notch then developers can work on graphics. Fact is I do play many old 8 bit graphics dos games because the ai in them is so much better than todays ai's. Games like Empire Deluxe and good old origional Civilization or Cevo I or Civilization II or Master of Magic or Master of Orion II. I could go on to name many old 8bit or 16bit graphic games that have ai's so much better than todays jillion gigabyte graphical games with no ai whatsoever. Like that Total War series since RTW has like 10gigs of graphics code and 10 cents worth of ai.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 11
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 4/1/2009 10:42:05 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

I could go on to name many old 8bit or 16bit graphic games that have ai's so much better than todays jillion gigabyte graphical games with no ai whatsoever. Like that Total War series since RTW has like 10gigs of graphics code and 10 cents worth of ai.

The trouble is that teenage idiots with wads of cash are a much more profitable market than us grumpy old buggers!

... and they want eye candy.

quote:

I took Steel Panthers for a spin recently thinking that I would aclimatise to the godawful graphics, but I couldn't.

Maybe I'm just another teenager at heart!

:)

(in reply to killroyishere)
Post #: 12
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 4/1/2009 11:14:55 PM   
Southernland

Easy, sell every copy of CC with a month dose of retilin... calm down their little, ADHD jumpy, Generation Y minds into a real game

(in reply to CSO_Talorgan)
Post #: 13
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 4/2/2009 10:26:04 AM   
Platoon_Michael

Once or if better graphics make it to CC you can pretty much bet that modding CC wil be all but over.
Most people cant afford Photoshop just to mod the current graphics in CC now if you add any type of 3D or animations you can pretty much expect thats all well see for the life of that game.

Case in point:
While many mods have been done for CC you dont see anything extroidinary done to the current graphics.You dont even see anyone trying to duplicate the rolling tank effect by creating 17 images for each vehicle.

Post #: 14
RE: more budget for fancier graphics ? - 4/3/2009 6:41:50 PM   
CSO_Talorgan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoon_Michael

Once or if better graphics make it to CC you can pretty much bet that modding CC wil be all but over.
Most people cant afford Photoshop just to mod the current graphics in CC now if you add any type of 3D or animations you can pretty much expect thats all well see for the life of that game.

Agreed

3D = no modding

(in reply to Platoon_Michael)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> more budget for fancier graphics ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI