Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

My 3.9.4 Experience

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> My 3.9.4 Experience Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
My 3.9.4 Experience - 4/1/2009 2:21:36 AM   
Sigma8510

ALL,
I wanted to pass on an absolutely wonderful scenario experience I had last night playing the latest version of ANW, 3.9.4.

I will first say that I play games to have fun and generally have a glass half full outlook on life. So acknowledging the history of computer Harpoon (and I have been playing ever since it was just "Harpoon" and not "Classic" or whatever), I have to say that I'm happy that we still have a game to play and that it HASN'T gone by the wayside, and I appreciate the hard work of all involved. I try not to even venture into the venomous aspects this game has produced (real life has enough of that); I just try to have the best experience I can with what I have learned about Naval Warfare.

With that said, I was VERY curious about the changes made to the weapons state and weapons release logic. I tried out Scenario 2 (SAG v SAG) of Ralf Koelbach's PASON series and had the time of my life!

I started off in EMCON Alpha, Weapons Tight and launched helo's on a passive (eyeballs,infared, etc.) search for the enemy. The real fun came after the my initial long range SSM strikes as the first of my units was discovered. Upon detection of the first inbound missiles, my SAG lit off all radars and began engaging inbound threat targets without order. Salvo allocation was spot on, just as I would have fought the ship, and even though I ended up losing 4 ships by bull-heading my way into the middle of the Soviet SAG, I was utterly pleased with the SAM response of my units(Medals to CO's of Ticonderoga and Richmond K. Turner! :-)). The tweaks to 3.9.4 in this area, at least in my admittedly small sample size of one scenario, were just what I was looking for, and leaps and bounds over my recent experiences with earlier versions.

My SAG even took it upon themselves to return to EMCON Alpha after all inbound weapon attacks were complete, JUST AS THE LAST ORDERS I GAVE THEM TOLD THEM TO. In the heat of the moment, I forgot to order Weapons Free and maintain EMCON Delta as is tactically prudent in most situations after you have already been pinpointed and tracked, but at least I knew they were listening and not off on their own tangent.

Anyway, it all made for a very enjoyable experience and I look forward to many more. I know issues will arise and I hope that the focus will remain more on fixing the things that make the game more realistic, as has been done here, and less worrying about the things that don't add value, or just don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

ALL the best! And please remember, it is just a game; have fun, no ones shooting at you for real!

Joe

< Message edited by jbaxter1964 -- 4/1/2009 5:14:19 PM >
Post #: 1
Harpoon 3 scenarios for the PlayersDB - 4/1/2009 10:02:39 PM   
hermanhum

Ralf's a great designer. He's just released a new one for his Papa and Son battleset.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2077799

(in reply to Sigma8510)
Post #: 2
RE: My 3.9.4 Experience - 4/1/2009 11:00:22 PM   
Sigma8510

I'm on it!
Post #: 3
RE: My 3.9.4 Experience - 4/2/2009 2:36:35 AM   
Bucks

Joe,

Words such as yours make the countless hours of effort sunk into the project all worthwhile. It's great you're having a fun with our new work, and you really give all of us involved in the development process a great motivation to continue with our our improvements to the gaming system.

If you think 3.9.4 is good wait until we have 3.10 ready.

Ralf's a real Pro when it comes to scen design and his scens cover most databases. I'd like to take this opportunity to express the community's gratitude to Ralf for both his long association with Harpoon and the quality of his work. Joe, I'm glad somebody finds 3.9.4 a worthwhile effort.

Cheers

Darren Buckley

Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1

(in reply to Sigma8510)
Post #: 4
RE: My 3.9.4 Experience - 4/2/2009 3:14:18 PM   
Erik Rutins

Thanks for the report, very glad to hear that you're enjoying yourself.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Post #: 5
RE: My 3.9.4 Experience - 4/4/2009 2:41:08 PM   
erichswafford

I'm also really loving 3.9.4!!!  Very enjoyable and just as good as 3.6.3, but with a better interface.  I personally like how you guys are aiming at Harpoon4 "compatibility".  Since I have those rules, it's fun to check out the weapons calcs and see how often they match up with what's happening in-game.

Anyway, great job guys and keep up the good work!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 6
RE: My 3.9.4 Experience - 4/4/2009 2:46:51 PM   
erichswafford

One thing!  I was playing "Reinforcing Northern Flank" using all 3 of the databases (just to see how they compare), and in the HUD3 version, you can't launch the Yak-38's from the Kiev.  It spits out an error saying "Cannot launch from available runways". 

Not that those Forger-B's are much use, but occasionally they get lucky and ambush an F-16 that I've suckered into chasing after one of my Bear-D's!  Anyway. They can launch just fine using either the original or ANW 2.1 db's.  I'm sure it's a simple matter of changing something about the Forgers to make them STOL-capable.  If I can figure it out, I might just do it myself!  Kinda scared though -  I've never used the platform editor. 

Do we *have* a platform editor? LOL

(in reply to erichswafford)
Post #: 7
RE: My 3.9.4 Experience - 4/4/2009 6:04:10 PM   
erichswafford

Yep, I agree.  It works!  And anyone who knows me, also knows I don't have a dog in this fight.  I think I sorta understand why they had to take back control of the DB as well.  Basically, the way the Db interacts with the game engine determines...well - everything that happens.  And if your goal is to produce the computer equivalent of Harpoon4.1, then you'd need to ensure that the product works as a turnkey solution - database included.  The whole ECM deal was, IMHO, a smart move as well.  I've outlined my thoughts elsewhere on that - basically that simplifying it probably makes it *more* realistic, and certainly less unpredictable.

It's unfortunate that, in the process, we lost all those great scenarios for DB2000 - but it's not the End of the World.  Going forward, there will be more scenarios. 

One editorial comment:  please more Cold War scenarios!  I've got the "High Tide" expansion for H4 and it's great.  I just can't get excited about 2 po-dunk Third-World powers going at it, or the US vs. Anyone these days.  Does any country even have the firepower to swamp a single Arleigh Burke, much less a Tico VLS?

Post #: 8
Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB - 4/4/2009 7:01:48 PM   
hermanhum

quote:

ORIGINAL: kondor999

One editorial comment: please more Cold War scenarios! I've got the "High Tide" expansion for H4 and it's great. I just can't get excited about 2 po-dunk Third-World powers going at it, or the US vs. Anyone these days. Does any country even have the firepower to swamp a single Arleigh Burke, much less a Tico VLS?

Already ahead of you.

Several Cold War-era battlesets are available for the PlayersDB. The original HCE GIUK/NACV battlesets were re-made for H3 compatibility. They are currently only available for MP play from the ANW server hosted by AoA.

http://www.harplonkhq.com/?page_id=18

If you want to see the power and prestige of a single Burke (and Perry) versus a swarm of missile boats, try out "Matrix Siege" from the HDS II GIUK battleset. It works well in both SP and MP.

Post #: 9
RE: My 3.9.4 Experience - 4/5/2009 2:42:38 AM   
Mr.Sharkey

kondor999,

Sean, a mate of Darren's here, you're lucky last I'm out for the rest of today so you'll have wait for further "HUD3 NEWS" later.

I've sent you an email from here with Darren's personal email addy. He asked me to request you send him a mail message so he has your address and he'll organise what you need with editors and a copy of the HUD3 to try out.

He said if you have any questions that he'd be happy to explain anything he could. Yes, he likes Coldwar scens and has already discussed a splinter DB based on the HUD3 filosophi possibly covering the Korea - Vietnam era with the HUD3 development group. He's already planning previous eras for when you guys get "H5".

I have no idea, just email him, the guy will help you out.

Sean "Sharkey" Leach

Post #: 10
RE: My 3.9.4 Experience - 5/23/2009 8:48:38 PM   
RedMike

Ralf,

Thanks for the heads up on GCB2. What a fantastic alternative to Harpoon. Man, that's what Harpoon should look like!

RedMike...out

Hannibal ad portas
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> My 3.9.4 Experience Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI