Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Tech Support >> RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/9/2009 11:22:38 AM   
Nomada_Firefox

I have been testing the beta patch with my new ATI 4870 and game runs better, many better, temperature are normal like with all the other 2D games.

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 31
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/9/2009 7:31:22 PM   
Andrew Williams

The frame rate is capped at 60fps if you are runnig the patch 4.50.5b

It will display that version number on the bottom right of your main screen.

Try this monitor to see if your graphics card is having heat problems.

http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 32
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/9/2009 9:40:53 PM   
jspec

hi andrew -

I'll double check to make sure the beta patch installed correctly tonight when I get home from work. 

As far as the hardware monitor, I have that program - I had it up and running when playing this game, but the game locks up the computer on me, so when I restart and check the temps everything seems normal. When I'm running other games (black shark, FSX) the temps get around mid-upper 50s or so.

Maybe there's a way to enable logging, so I can see if the temp of the graphics card got really high before the computer locked up? I'll check that tonight as well -

thanks again, hope to get it sorted out because I like the little bit I've been able to play so far.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 33
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/10/2009 1:34:04 AM   
jspec

hi again andrew -

just a quick post to say my game is displaying the version # of the beta. I've tried playing a game with cpuid hardware monitor active, then alt-tabbing out of the game every minute or so to see what the temps are up to.

So far 53C was the highest, but then again it didn't crash so don't think that means anything. going to try a more deliberate test later on, I'll post back.

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 34
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/10/2009 7:02:59 AM   
jspec

well, I played a couple more games through, highest reading I got was 58C.

no lock ups yet, which is strange since it was locking up so consistently before with this game. Besides having the hardware monitor running I haven't done anything different, so I don't know what to think. Maybe the game knows cpuid is watching and it's on its best behavior?

or maybe I just hadn't played long enough, these games ended pretty quickly (still learning the ropes). or my problem has nothing to do with the overheating thing that was happening to some people.

not sure what to do at this point...

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 35
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/14/2009 6:54:51 AM   
jspec

Just got another lock up, naturally I had forgotten after the first couple of minutes to keep alt/tabbing out and checking on the graphics card temp so I don't know if overheating was the cause... temp wasn't high when I checked, but about 8 or 9 minutes had gone by before the screen froze up on me.

Was hoping the problem just magically went away, because I had played a couple games without a lock up, but no such luck.

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 36
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/14/2009 8:03:20 AM   
Andrew Williams

It sounds like you have some settings on your video card affecting gameplay.

there doesn't seem to be a general issue of lock ups etc with standard settings.

Play around with your settings to "normalize" everything.

Is your video card overclocked?

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 37
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/14/2009 8:21:02 AM   
jspec

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for responding. I'm pretty sure the settings on my card are "normal", at least as far as I can tell. The card is an EVGA 8800gt, might be an 'overclocked edition' but I haven't personally overclocked the card.

I've heard back from tech support, and from what they were saying it doesn't seem like the cards settings should affect things - here's an excerpt of what they wrote

"I don’t see anything obviously wrong with his configuration. No application based settings should be necessary to play CC WaR on his system (i.e. he shouldn’t have to mess with anti-aliasing or anything like that).  Steps I would suggest:"

They then go on to list a few things to try (that I've already wrote them back about).

Should I not post in the forum anymore? If it's more helpful just to keep communication going through the tech support I will, just trying to get it sorted out so I can play!

Thanks

Post #: 38
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/14/2009 10:51:30 AM   
Andrew Williams

Forums are good for everyone else read... they may encounter a similar problem

There have been reports of those settings fixing lockups and jerky play.

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 39
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/14/2009 10:59:35 AM   
Andrew Williams

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5514&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Post #: 40
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/14/2009 6:51:55 PM   
jspec

hi andrew -

Ok, I'll post once in a while to keep anyone who might be interested updated, that's a good point.

Not sure what you mean by "those settings" fixing lock-ups, if you mean turning on or off aa/af I've already tried that and either way (on, off, application controlled) there is no difference, the game locks up.

It's confusing as to why that would even matter, since tech support said they were in contact with the developer, and that's who the excerpt above was from (saying that it shouldn't mattter what the aa/af settings were on).

I read through that linked thread, seems like if what I am experiencing is in fact the heat problem, for whatever reason the beta patch does not fix it for me (but it did for the people posting). 

I'll do some more testing and try to remember to keep alt/tabbing out of the game to check temps.

Don't know if I mentioned this (or if it matters), but I purchased close combat cross of iron recently and have no problems at all playing through scenarios.

Post #: 41
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/14/2009 9:23:26 PM   
Andrew Williams

hmmmm...

I wonder what special insights the "Developer" has?

Have you tried installing (and patch) on another PC to see if the problem continues there?

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 42
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/15/2009 8:14:38 PM   
jspec

hi andrew -

not sure either about any special insights, just know that's what tech support wrote me. Are you writing "Developer" because you know they aren't in contact with the developer?

Here's the entire text of the response (and I've already tried the suggestions and responded to them)

----------

Hi
The developer has written several suggestions & questions to try to resolve your issue. Please follow the directions & answer any questions in your reply, thanks
I don’t see anything obviously wrong with his configuration. No application based settings should be necessary to play CC WaR on his system (i.e. he shouldn’t have to mess with anti-aliasing or anything like that).  Steps I would suggest:
1)       Confirm he does indeed have the updated version of CC WaR.  Executable file should be CCE.EXE dated 11/12/2008.  The file version for CCE.EXE (if you check file properties via the Windows Explorer) should be 2008.11.12.1. 
2)      Confirm that his card is overheating.  He can use nTune from NVIDA to monitor GPU temp (www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility.html <http://www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility.html> ). He will have to switch out of the game very few minutes to check the temperature, but if it is spiking like the pre-patch temperature problem it will be obvious (GPU temp up 20+ degrees in short order). 
3)       Have him try running DxDiag and doing the Direct3D test on the “Display” tab of the DxDiag dialog.  The significant test here is the one for Direct3D 9 interfaces. 
4)       Verify that he has not installed any mods or modified any of the files from the stock CC WaR install.  A modified data or graphics file could trash memory and cause something like this. 5)       Have him start the game and just let it sit idle. See if this eventually causes the crash, or if he has to be doing something.  If we can narrow down the crash to consistently happening in one place in the game (i.e. while on the Battle Group screen, or while playing a tactical battle) that could help narrow down the cause. 

Hopefully this will help us track down what’s causing the problem, though.

Looking forward to resolving your issue!

------------------

Also, were you talking about af and aa when you mentioned 'those settings' being able to fix lock-ups? Figured you were, just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I don't have another pc to install it on, so I can't try that.

Thanks

Post #: 43
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/15/2009 9:17:23 PM   
Andrew Williams

Hi

Look at posts 29 onwards in this thread.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1948528

Have you set up an profile for CCE.exe in the nvidia control panel?

And set the "Threaded Optimization" to OFF in addition to disabling the AA & AF.

< Message edited by Andrew Williams -- 2/16/2009 12:49:35 AM >

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 44
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/15/2009 11:37:43 PM   
jspec

Hi Andrew -

I've already tried setting "threaded optimization" to OFF and disabling the AA and AF.  It's on page one of this post, you had already recommended I do that and I responded that I had  no luck. (I think you just must have missed seeing those postings). And yes I do have a profile for CCE.exe in my control panel.

Also, the thread you linked me to is about the "commonwealth summer mod" - and I can't look at 'post 29 onwards' because post 29 is the last post in the thread!  So I think - unless you have it in for me for some reason ;)  you accidentally linked me to the wrong thread.

Post #: 45
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/16/2009 12:50:54 AM   
Andrew Williams

Ooops, sorry

Fixed the link

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1948528

But it is to do with creating a profile and AA and AF... just trying to make sure they are covered.

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 46
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/16/2009 6:44:06 AM   
jspec

that's ok, thanks andrew - and yep, I had those covered.

Just played through a couple of games, alt tabbing out every minute or so. Temps never moved more than 1 or 2 degrees (was around 58c most of the time), and there were no lock ups.

so if it is the heat issue, maybe it just happens so fast for my card that I'd probably never catch it in time before it locks up.

Post #: 47
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/17/2009 8:46:32 PM   
Pzt_kevin_dtn

Ok so I installed the beta patch and now I can't launch the game.  It brings up the main menu but when I select PLAY I get a little pop up alert that states "not available".  Now I haven't played the game since Christmas but I didn't think there should be any issues with it.  Any suggestions besides having to reinstall the whole thing?

< Message edited by Pzt_kevin_dtn -- 2/17/2009 8:56:27 PM >

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 48
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/17/2009 9:21:04 PM   
Andrew Williams

quote:

"not available"

Haven't seen that or had any reports of that.

Did you install the patch to the same folder as the original installation?

(in reply to Pzt_kevin_dtn)
Post #: 49
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/24/2009 12:04:00 AM   
Andrew Williams

jspec01

Something to try.

From your options menu

Can you turn off all sound , video and music options.

see how that goes.

Post #: 50
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/24/2009 3:24:26 AM   
jspec

hi andrew -

just gave it a shot, turned off all the sound, video and music options. played through a game without a lock up (unfortunately, it doesn't happen with any consistency so don't think that says anything, really).

going to turn the sound back on and leave the music and videos off (can't really play without sound) and see if that helps. 

a weird thing happened, when I turned the sound option back on, I got an error message saying something about 'reading a registry entry' and that I should reinstall.

I was able to start up again fine after that and play a bit, don't know what that's about (first time I ever saw that message).

Guess I should do a reinstall though, anyway, right?  Probably something I should have tried already...

Thanks for posting.

Post #: 51
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 2/25/2009 2:15:22 AM   
TDeacon

Patch cured my overheating issues completely.  I am favorably impressed.  Hope to try multiplayer this Friday. 

Mark Hinds

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 52
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 3/26/2009 7:19:10 PM   
moggbomber

i have the same problem as jspec01. i have two 8800GT in sli but i tried to disable sli and it's the same. sometime after 1 or 2 minutes starting the battle the graphics are corrupted and i need a hard reboot. some times i can play 5 or more battles.
i have no problems in the menu by the way

i think it's a nvidia driver because before getting the actual ones ( 182.06) i had no problems (181.22 or 180.84 i think...)

i tried all that was said here and still the same freeze

(in reply to TDeacon)
Post #: 53
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 3/27/2009 4:01:51 AM   
Tejszd

moggbomber,

See if you can find the previous Nvidia driver version and then uninstall the newer ones.

jspec01,

You haven't posted since Feb. 24 did you get it working???

(in reply to moggbomber)
Post #: 54
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 3/28/2009 9:17:07 PM   
moggbomber

well i tried the 181.22 and still freezing :/
by the way i takes more time to come but i can't really say it changed since i tried only to play 2 times

i'm gonna try the 182.08...

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 55
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 3/29/2009 1:12:46 PM   
moggbomber

tried and the same
the sprites from the units and the command line just jam and the game freeze

i tested cross of iron and it's the same!

i'm running with default parameters in the drivers.
uncheck physX too

last time i was able to play more than 2 hours. i just reload another game (not the last of my campaign and it was ok)

where does it come from!!???

(in reply to moggbomber)
Post #: 56
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 3/29/2009 10:09:05 PM   
Andrew Williams

If cross of iron is the same problem you have to look at your drivers and setup,

Even check directx

(in reply to moggbomber)
Post #: 57
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 4/1/2009 9:19:49 PM   
moggbomber

i think i foud a silution

not sure but tested 2 times since now.
i disable my antivir nod32 (3.0.672)
AND
i quit rivatuner (2.23)

not sure for the moment if it's really that but that's a track maybe

Post #: 58
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 4/2/2009 12:50:46 AM   
moggbomber

played a third time without freezing!

(in reply to moggbomber)
Post #: 59
RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta - 4/28/2009 10:27:03 PM   
Titanwarrior89

When I run the game it flashs very fast when in the game.  What is causing this?  I am able to run everything else(CC modern combat, EW: totalwar and so on).

Pent 4 , 2.2 gig  2 Gig ram memory, geforce 6800, xp.   Was working now its not.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to jspec)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: Wacht am Rhein >> Tech Support >> RE: Wacht am Rhein 4.50.5b Beta Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI