Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Weapon Malfunctions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Weapon Malfunctions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Weapon Malfunctions - 10/20/2000 11:33:00 AM   
Skandranon

I was just reading the grenade malfunction posts and how some odd things have happened with certain 'nonbreakable' weapons like grenades and bows malfunctioning on a squad scale. Though I understand how hard it is to differentiate between classes of weapons that should and shouldn't malfunction, I've turned off weapon malfunctions altogether for this and another reason. I was recently playing a campaign game as the Germans and was set to defend against the Poles and their hordes of surprisingly determined 19 man squads. So, accordingly, I bought lots of machine gun platoons, machine gun nests, scout vehicles, and half a dozen battalions (yup, that many!) of 150mm guns. I was going to mop the floor with them. That's when the interesting things started happening... I've come to the conclusion that weapons malfunctions are a bit too frequent, take too long to fix, and affect too many types of weapons. I'm going from memory, but let me sum up so you get the gist: On round 3 I noted one of my 150 batteries had already lost a gun to a malfunction, I checked, and another had lost a single gun. On round 4, I lost another single gun from another battery. On round 5, all hell broke loose and I lost two guns from one of the previous batteries to jamming/malfunction (so it now had ONE gun), and another unit was affected by one loss. Also, some machineguns started jamming, and I wasn't even using them full-on. Conserving for Opfire and all that. After this, I lost exact track, but can be summed up like this: by the end of the game, I had lost over half of my 150's to malfunction, and none were ever repaired! One entire battery was wiped out from it! Also, I bought six machinegun nests, and three of them had jammed guns, one of them completely disarmed as well. None were ever repaired in the 20-odd turns I played. Artillery's hard enough to stay in contact with, I can't abide by the gunners getting their hands stuck in the breach, forgetting to take off the cap, or off for smoking breaks as well. I really do like the weapon and vehicle malfunctions (I leave the latter on), but just think the weapons break a bit frequently, aren't repaired quick enough (some of those machinegunners and artillerymen had 15+ turns to repair!), and affect weapons that should be immune. But, just my opinion... and you can always turn it off!

Derek "Skandranon"
Post #: 1
- 10/20/2000 12:03:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Skandranon: I really do like the weapon and vehicle malfunctions (I leave the latter on), but just think the weapons break a bit frequently, aren't repaired quick enough (some of those machinegunners and artillerymen had 15+ turns to repair!), and affect weapons that should be immune.
Agree. Feels to me that things have gotten worse in v4.3b (from 4.0) ... Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Skandranon)
Post #: 2
- 10/20/2000 1:28:00 PM   
Fredde

Although.. a weapon jamming or becoming unusable for a short while is not uncommon. Usually the small things are fixed very quickly though, which is not happening here. I agree, it's a little too frequent as it is. Same for vehicle breakdowns. In a recent PBEM game i had a whole pz IV platoon immobilized. One could follow their way to their objective by the line of broken tanks Special case, and bad luck.. i know.. but still.

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to Skandranon)
Post #: 3
- 10/20/2000 1:44:00 PM   
Lars Remmen

quote:

Originally posted by Fredde: Although.. a weapon jamming or becoming unusable for a short while is not uncommon. Usually the small things are fixed very quickly though, which is not happening here. I agree, it's a little too frequent as it is. Same for vehicle breakdowns. In a recent PBEM game i had a whole pz IV platoon immobilized. One could follow their way to their objective by the line of broken tanks Special case, and bad luck.. i know.. but still.
Saboteurs in factory perhaps *G* Really, I do think that weapon malfunctions are great. But it takes far too long to clear a MG. Naturally it should take longer for large weapons but a MG should be 1 turn max. ------------------ Lars Nec Timide - Nec Temere

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

(in reply to Skandranon)
Post #: 4
- 10/20/2000 1:55:00 PM   
Mike Wood

Helllo... Please remember that the breakdown rule simulates everything from a jammed bullet to a broken breach block. It would be difficult to repair the latter in one turn, or at all, for that matter. Bye... Michael Wood ____________________________________________
quote:

Originally posted by Lars Remmen: Saboteurs in factory perhaps *G* Really, I do think that weapon malfunctions are great. But it takes far too long to clear a MG. Naturally it should take longer for large weapons but a MG should be 1 turn max.

(in reply to Skandranon)
Post #: 5
- 10/20/2000 3:14:00 PM   
silentsurfer

I think its important to note that the time frame for one turn is "minutes". i.e. two or three, I think. These are not the time frames we might be used to in many games where one turn might equal many hours or even a day. So keep this in mind when playing with the malfunctions on, it may take several minutes to get buddies hand out of that breach Surfer

what the ....

(in reply to Skandranon)
Post #: 6
- 10/20/2000 3:51:00 PM   
thewood

While I admit to having little knowledge of "mean time between failure" statisitcs and their relationship to WW2 combat, I do find it a little hard to believe the undistributed nature of the breakdowns. I have played many campaigns and games in SPWAW without a single breakdown. Yet, I have had several where breakdowns happen very frequently. I just finished a game where I had 6 tigers and 4 Mk IVs and by the end of the game 4 tigers and 2 Mk IVs had suffered a main gun breakdown. It seems to be all or nothing. Maybe the random algorithm, once it determines a breakdown, gets stuck in a loop.

(in reply to Skandranon)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Weapon Malfunctions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI