Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/31/2009 2:52:38 AM   
Hornblower

Me thinks it will soon be 25mm's and 5" against bomb toting F6F's, Helldivers, and TBM's... 

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 4291
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/31/2009 4:17:01 AM   
Cuttlefish

February 18, 1945

Course: South
Attached to: TF 43
Mission: Surface Combat
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 416

Orders: Intercept enemy fast transport convoys at Tori Shima

---

“We can see Japan from here!” Shoji yells over the roar of the anti-aircraft guns. “They can’t DO this!” A enemy twin-engine bomber roars past, heading for heavy cruiser Takao. The plane makes a textbook skip-bomb attack and its bomb detonates against the side of the cruiser. Water and small pieces of debris are blasted upwards. The cruisers fire stops for a few seconds and then resumes. Shoji sees with relief that the damage does not appear to be serious.

“I think they can!” Yoshitake yells back. “I think they are!” The mountains of the Kii peninsula are indeed visible to the north but this does not seem to deter the enemy air raid. Both men are at their combat stations forward, crouched near the base of the tower, a big hose coiled near their feet, a hose they hope they do not have to use today.

Fortunately the air raid is a small one, consisting only of a handful of planes. Takao and light cruiser Oyodo are the only ships attacked and neither is heavily damaged. Within just a couple of minutes the guns fall silent as the enemy planes depart for whatever island they came from.

“I still think it’s wrong,” says Shoji as they help their team stow the damage control gear. “Aren’t they worried about our fighters?”

“It doesn’t look like they are,” Yoshitake tells him. “But let’s hope this is the worst they can do. If it is we shouldn’t have anything to worry about.”

---

Air attack:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4292
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/31/2009 4:57:23 AM   
kaleun

I so want the book!

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4293
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/31/2009 6:16:57 PM   
tocaff

Nothing worse for morale that getting pounded in you own backyard.  

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 4294
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/31/2009 6:35:36 PM   
bigbaba

what a little brave ship.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 4295
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/31/2009 7:56:02 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 19, 1945

Course: North
Attached to: TF 43
Mission: Surface Combat
System Damage: 1
Fuel: 231

Orders: Intercept enemy fast transport convoys at Tori Shima

---

“You’re absolutely certain?” says Captain Ishii into the speaking tube. Petty Officer Takahashi’s voice comes floating back upwards.

“Yes sir,” it says. “We are the only ships within 50 kilometers of the island.”

“It does make sense, sir,” says Lieutenant Miharu. “The enemy knew we were coming. They must have turned their transports around.” Lieutenant Sugiyura, the disappointment plain on his face, nods in agreement.

Captain Ishii nods. “I know,” he says. “At least we…” His words are cut off by the sound of an explosion rolling across the water. All the officers raise their binoculars. The night is clear and in the light of the waxing crescent moon they can all see that something has exploded against Hiei’s port bow.

“Damn,” mutters Ishii. “Lookouts, concentrate forward! Any periscope trails or torpedo wakes? Sonar, do you have anything?” Negative reports come in as the sound of a klaxon aboard Hiei can be plainly heard. After a moment a signal light begins winking aboard the battleship.

“Sir,” says Ensign Izu, “Hiei is reporting that she hit a mine.”

“One mine isn’t going to stop Hiei,” says Sugiyura confidently.

“But it might slow her down,” says Ishii. “I think this is a good place to leave.” Admiral Tanaka must agree, for very soon the task force is ordered back north. The ships move cautiously until they are presumed clear of the minefield and then are ordered to make their best speed towards home. Hiei reports flooding in several forward compartments but is nonetheless able to make decent speed. The Japanese flee north, leaving the volcanic cone of Tori Shima to fade back into the darkness.

---

It is now midday. Slowed by the damage to Hiei it is now obvious that the task force will not reach Osaka until after dark. All eyes are trained south, watching for the approach of enemy planes, but so far the skies have remained blessedly empty.

A radioman enters the bridge and salutes Captain Ishii before handing him a message flimsy. Ishii takes it and reads. As he does so the lines on his face deepen.

“Enemy carriers have been sighted 300 miles south of our position,” he says. “They are moving north at speed.”

“We will make Osaka before they are in range,” says Sugiyura confidently.

“Yes,” says Ishii. He knows, but does not mention, that if the enemy carriers are after them – and he suspects they are – Osaka Bay may be more of a trap than a refuge.

“Sir!” says the sonar operator. “I have a contact, solid contact, 2300 meters bearing 15 degrees to port.”

“Signal the task force,” says Ishii. “Combat stations, ahead full.” The klaxon begins to sound as Hibiki picks up speed. Men rush to their posts as a signal flag flutters up the mast informing the other ships that Hibiki has a submarine contact.

Ishii orders the depth charges set to 70 meters. Sonar maintains the contact and as Hibiki charges over the spot the Y-guns fling two depth charges to either side. Destroyer Niizuki comes over to assist and the two destroyers criss-cross the area, dropping depth charges.

“Oil on the water, sir,” calls a lookout. Indeed several small bubbles of fuel oil have risen to the surface and are spreading their sheen across the waves.

“Contact is fading, sir,” sonar reports. “Moving southeast and…now it’s gone, sir.”

“Look for more oil,” Ishii orders. But nothing else rises to the surface. It might be a kill, though likely not, thinks Ishii.

“Well done,” is all he says. He gives orders for the ship to resume its place in the task force, and Hibiki joins the other ships moving through the late afternoon light towards the dubious safety of Osaka Bay.

---

Hibiki attacks a sub:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4296
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 3/31/2009 8:34:08 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

“It does make sense, sir,” says Lieutenant Miharu. “The enemy knew we were coming. They must have turned their transports around.” Lieutenant Sugiyura, the disappointment plain on his face, nods in agreement.

Captain Ishii nods. “I know,” he says. “At least we…” His words are cut off by the sound of an explosion rolling across the water. All the officers raise their binoculars. The night is clear and in the light of the waxing crescent moon they can all see that something has exploded against Hiei’s port bow.

“Damn,” mutters Ishii. “Lookouts, concentrate forward! Any periscope trails or torpedo wakes? Sonar, do you have anything?” Negative reports come in as the sound of a klaxon aboard Hiei can be plainly heard. After a moment a signal light begins winking aboard the battleship.

“Sir,” says Ensign Izu, “Hiei is reporting that she hit a mine.”

The Allies' response has gotten much faster since the glory days of the bombardment and surface combat runs. I wonder if the minefield was air-dropped or laid by subs?

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4297
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2009 4:58:57 PM   
mdiehl

Bump (X-6)

Edit: Aaargh too big.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/22/NB-36H_with_B-50_1955-57.jpeg

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 4/1/2009 5:00:44 PM >

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4298
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2009 5:03:29 PM   
Marc gto

nice pictures...

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 4299
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2009 5:43:56 PM   
John 3rd

Holy COW!  That is a big bomber...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Marc gto)
Post #: 4300
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2009 5:50:28 PM   
Feinder

You should see one up close.  There's a B-36 at Wright-Patt.  It's quite a beast.  They even rigged it up so it could carry parasite fighters on-board (the "Goblin" I think).

-F-

And that's interesting. That photo is that of an NB-36H: A test plane for the feasability of putting a nuke reactor on a plane (to act as a power source, not to be dropped!). Something tells me somebody finally asked the question, "What happens when one of them crashes on take-off?".

-F-

< Message edited by Feinder -- 4/1/2009 5:54:50 PM >

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4301
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2009 6:10:04 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 20, 1945

Course: None
Attached to: Disbanded in port
Mission: None
Fuel: 475

Orders: Prepare for enemy air attacks

---

Like a cat stalking its prey the enemy carriers arrive 150 miles south of the Bungo Passage, neatly cutting off Tanaka’s escape route. The Japanese respond by launching a series of air strikes against them from bases all over southern Japan. The attacks last most of the day and are parried with lethal efficiency. By late afternoon the Japanese have lost 260 aircraft while just 26 defending fighters are lost. The enemy ships are untouched.

When it is obvious that the Japanese have shot their bolt Spruance’s carriers move to the northeast, straight towards Osaka.

---

Tanaka’s task force is ordered to disband. The ships dock at widely scattered points around the harbor in an effort to blunt the coming attack as much as possible.

Captain Ishii orders the torpedo tubes unloaded and the torpedoes moved ashore. Hibiki and destroyer Isokaze are docked on either side of a wide pier, most of whose length is covered by a low wooden warehouse. Aft of Hibiki is moored a squat little harbor tug.

”I want anti-aircraft crews and damage control teams in position at first light,” Ishii says. The sun is going down into a western sky that is free of any sign of cloud cover. “It isn’t going to take long for the enemy planes to arrive once the sun comes up.”

“Are you sure we are going to be attacked, sir?” asks Lieutenant Kuwaki.

“I am certain of it,” says Ishii. “I can feel it in my gut.” Though oddly his ulcer is not bothering him right now. Perhaps, he thinks, it is because I am not plagued by uncertainty. I know what is going to happen and have done what I can to prepare for it.

“Get some sleep tonight, Kuwaki,” says Ishii. “Tomorrow may be...it may be a very long day.”

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4302
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2009 6:42:54 PM   
kaleun

Bites on fingers anxiously.
(nails long gone)

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4303
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2009 7:50:57 PM   
cantona2

Whatever you do CF please do not keep us waiting long!

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 4304
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2009 8:37:09 PM   
tocaff

Talk about a cliffhanger.  CF keeps bringing us to the brink only for us to find that the end isn't as near as we thought.

Todd

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 4305
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2009 9:38:26 PM   
paullus99

Really captures the flavor of the war at that time - things are looking pretty grim.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 4306
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2009 9:51:27 PM   
bigbaba

hibiki must survive!

hope there are some jacks, georges and franks available to fly CAP!

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 4307
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2009 10:17:51 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbaba

hibiki must survive!

hope there are some jacks, georges and franks available to fly CAP!

As Newt says "It won't make any difference." This stage in the war, unless there is a crap load of them, those fighters will simply be swept aside. Trust me--I know.

Why are the ships disbanded? I would have run them away at High Speed...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 4308
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/1/2009 10:53:25 PM   
Feinder

"No where to run, no where to hide..."

-F-

"It is obvious that you have greatly over-estimated my regard for your opinion." - Me

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4309
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/2/2009 12:04:49 AM   
Cuttlefish

February 21, 1945

---

Enemy carrier planes roam almost with impunity over the Inland Sea, Osaka Bay, and the Kii Channel. Japanese fighters rise to meet them but in numbers too small to make much difference. Once these are swept aside the business of hunting down and destroying every Japanese ship they find afloat begins.

Not everyone has made it to the dubious safety of port in time. A pair of minelayers scurrying up the Kii Channel are found and sunk. An small group of antisubmarine ships is found fleeing for safety and all four ships are sunk or heavily damaged. And several freighters are caught out in Osaka Bay.

Aboard Hibiki they can see the attack against them unfold. The men watch planes buzzing around the freighters, silently willing the big, clumsy ships to make it, but soon even those without binoculars can see smoke rising from the burning ships. Those with binoculars can see much more but soon they lower their binoculars and turn away, cursing or grim-faced and silent.

When this work is done some of the enemy planes come buzzing along the waterfront. Hibiki’s guns track them but nothing comes close enough to shoot at. A few bombs are dropped on Hiei and Kirishima but no serious damage is done.

“Everyone smile,” mutters Lieutenant Miharu, watching them a pair of dive bombers cruising slowly high overhead. “We are being photographed.”

“Yes,” says Ishii. “I fear this isn't over yet. There will be more attacks tomorrow.”

“Will we make a run for it, sir?” asks Ensign Konada.

Ishii shakes his head. “I have received no orders to that effect. And perhaps being attacked here gives us a better chance to save the ship than being caught at sea.”

“To think we have come so far and fought so many battles to end like this,” says Lieutenant Sugiyura bitterly. “Caught like rats in the bottom of a sack!”

“No more of that kind of talk,” says Ishii. “If anyone wants to sink this ship they are damned well going to have to work at it. We’ve been in trouble before and come through all right.”

“True enough, sir,” says Sugiyura. “My apologies. I just…I just hate not being able to do anything. Torpedoes can’t help us now.”

“Maybe we could go dig up some trees, sir,” says Ensign Izu. “We could bring them back aboard and place them around the ship so we look like an island.” There are chuckles from the other officers. Even Ishii smiles a little.

---

Now just 60 miles off the southern coast of Shikoku the U.S. and British carriers recover their planes. The Allied aircrews are debriefed and told to get some rest. Tomorrow will be another busy day. Tomorrow, they are told, they are going to smash the Osaka and Kobe port facilities and as many of the ships moored there as they can.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4310
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/2/2009 1:02:29 AM   
AmiralLaurent

Will be interesting to know at this point how much ships are in Osaka port... If Hibiki is sharing the port with 200 transports, 50 small warships and a half dozen capital ships, she will probably survive, and even may escape unscathed...

On the other hand, I think it's time to say goodbye to Hiei and Kirishima...

And by the way, I agree with others, fleeing to Korea was probably the thing to do.

Go on Hibiki !!!

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4311
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/2/2009 1:08:20 AM   
tocaff

I'm curious as to why the ships were left in port and not sent elsewhere that might've been safer.

Todd

(in reply to AmiralLaurent)
Post #: 4312
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/2/2009 1:40:47 AM   
Feinder

CF probably had the choice of having them attacked by 4e bombers from China while at sea, or an advancing TF38 from the south.  Or hide in port, hope for the best.  A ship in port is less likely to sink and give up vps, than one at sea.

-F-

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 4313
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/2/2009 3:12:33 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

Tomorrow, they are told, they are going to smash the Osaka and Kobe port facilities and as many of the ships moored there as they can.

I see just one chance for Hibiki and her gallant crew . . . the arrival of numerous I-boats.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4314
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/2/2009 3:31:13 PM   
Marc gto

there must be a way out of this......

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 4315
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/2/2009 7:08:57 PM   
kaleun

quote:

there must be a way out of this......

Unconditional surrender?

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Hornblower)
Post #: 4316
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/2/2009 8:10:20 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 22, 1945

---

To this point no city in Japan has suffered major damage. Tokyo has been attacked several times but the air defense has remained stout enough there to limit the damage. But at Osaka the defense has collapsed.

For the American pilots in on the attack there has to be more than a little satisfaction to savaging the waterfront of a major Japanese city. As their torpedoes churn through the water of the bay to intersect with Japanese battleships surely more than a few of them think of Pearl Harbor. For them the Japanese are now reaping the full benefits of the whirlwind they sowed there and revenge is indeed sweet.

At the height of the carrier plane’s attack big four-engine bombers come roaring in from the south. B-29s target the industrial areas of the city while B-24s come in high over the waterfront, dropping sticks of bombs on the naval facilities at both Osaka and Kobe and on whatever else happens to be nearby. For a few hours on February 22, 1945 Osaka is turned into a small corner of hell.

---

Ensign Izu stands on one of the observation wings off the bridge and looks out over a scene of destruction and chaos. The attack is at its height and enemy planes seem to be everywhere. There are hundreds of them. All around the city, and especially around the waterfront, clouds of thick black smoke rise into the air. The roar of anti-aircraft guns, the screaming of airplane engines, and the sound of explosions near and far fill the air.

We were mad to think we could stand against this kind of power, thinks Izu numbly. Mad.

Above the background chaos the screaming of airplane engines suddenly grows louder. Izu looks up as Hibiki’s anti-aircraft guns suddenly begin to fire. Overhead a chain of enemy dive bombers is unwinding and plunging straight towards him.

It is just like the nightmares he had following the dive-bombing attack they endured off Wake back in ’42. The bombers are a bit different – these, he knows, are SB2Cs, not the old SBDs – but he is standing rooted to the spot as the lead plane seems to grow larger and larger. Then it releases its bomb, and just like in his old nightmares the projectile seems to hang there for a moment, ridiculously large.

Nor is this just an adrenaline-induced impression of his. These dive bombers are carrying 1000 pound bombs, larger and much more dangerous than the 500 pounders that have struck Hibiki before.

Time seems to freeze for Izu for only a moment, and then the bombs are whistling down as the bombers pull out of their dives and roar overhead. Izu ducks reflexively , even though he knows that it can do him no good.

Bombs hammer down near the destroyer. One smashes the end of the pier. And one smashes directly into the target of the attack, destroyer Isokaze, berthed across the pier from Hibiki. The bomb strikes atop the aft anti-aircraft platform, the one built where the ship’s Y-turret used to be. Guns and their crews are gone in an instant and the platform is reduced to twisted wreckage surrounding a gaping hole.

Shrapnel whines and pings off of Hibiki’s superstructure. After the explosion’s roar dies away there is a moment of relative silence and then debris begins to rain down, pieces of wood and metal twirling through the air with almost stately grace as gravity brings them back down from the high arcs into which the bomb’s force had flung them. Splashes erupt in the water all around and there are more rattles and pings as debris strikes Hibiki. Horribly not all of the debris is steel from Isokaze or wooden planks from the pier.

Red-hot shrapnel ripped into the wooden warehouse built along the pier and here and there smoke now begins to curl upwards. Aboard Isokaze more smoke begins to pour from the hole in the deck and Izu can see flames licking up around the edges.

“Izu!” Captain Ishii’s voice barks. “Take a damage control team over to Isokaze to assist!”

“Yes sir!” says Izu. He takes one more fast look around the waterfront. To the north, where Hiei and Kirishima are berthed, there is a great deal of smoke. Many other ships are on fire as well. The entire waterfront seems to be an arc of smoke tinged with flame, thickest over by Kobe where some burning fuel oil tanks are sending up huge billowing black clouds, through with orange fires can be seen licking here and there.

Izu bounces down the ladder to the bridge and collects a damage control team. As he leads them across to Isokaze the attack continues, though no further planes appear to directly menace Hibiki.

---

Hibiki sends more men to assist Isokaze when the attack ends after what seems like a lifetime. Isokaze is badly hurt and over thirty men have died aboard he, but she will remain afloat even though out of the war for the foreseeable future. Other crewmen from Hibiki fight the fires in the warehouse.

There is no word yet how many ships have been sunk. Hiei and Kirishima are both obviously badly hurt, Kirishima perhaps mortally so. Fires burn here and there throughout the city for the rest of the day and that evening the sun sinks into a strange ochre-colored sky.

It is the first time that Hibiki’s men have beheld such a scene, someplace known and familiar terribly transformed into a scene of destruction. They pray that it will be the last.

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 4/3/2009 7:00:10 PM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4317
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/2/2009 10:06:19 PM   
Feinder

During:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 4318
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/2/2009 10:07:11 PM   
Feinder

After:

(actual photos of Osaka in 1945).
-F-

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 4319
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/2/2009 10:19:31 PM   
John 3rd

Damn...those are wild pictures...

Hibiki's luck still holds through THIS attack!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Feinder)
Post #: 4320
Page:   <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  142 143 [144] 145 146   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI