Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Rifle Squad Differences?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Rifle Squad Differences? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/27/2009 7:00:58 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

None of this addresses the actual point I am making; that your method for deciding how many squads to put into a unit, ...

Again, the technique in post #76 is about how to model whatever squads anyone may want to put into a unit. Forget what I'm doing in France 1944.

quote:

whatever its other merits, is going to skew the density equation away from what it would seem reasonable to assume Norm anticipated.

Whatever assumption you make about Norm, it still can't support treating all squads as if they have the same density, regardless of size.

Let's take your line in post #80:

"Assuming Norm's original density formula is accurate, your density is now off by (47/36=1.31) -- 31 percent."

Let's just assume that you're right and there is actual basis for assuming Norm meant for 13-man squads to be the standard (unlikely). But that means that if the squads are 10-man, then that 36-squad unit must now be modeled as 360/13 = about 28 squads. And if they are 8-man, then it must be modeled as 288/13 = about 22 squads.

There is still no way you can fit modeling all three different sizes as if they were equal density into any logical system. The unit sizes are 288, 360, and 468. They can't have the same density.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 91
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/27/2009 7:17:18 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

None of this addresses the actual point I am making; that your method for deciding how many squads to put into a unit, ...

Again, the technique in post #76 is about how to model whatever squads anyone may want to put into a unit. Forget what I'm doing in France 1944.

Note that I granted at the time that this approach has considerable merit. I just don't feel obliged to follow it myself.

Where I differ more sharply is on the wisdom of representing rear-echelon elements. I have already listed the problems I see with this.
quote:

quote:

whatever its other merits, is going to skew the density equation away from what it would seem reasonable to assume Norm anticipated.

Whatever assumption you make about Norm, it still can't support treating all squads as if they have the same density, regardless of size.

Let's take your line in post #80:

"Assuming Norm's original density formula is accurate, your density is now off by (47/36=1.31) -- 31 percent."

Let's just assume that you're right and there is actual basis for assuming Norm meant for 13-man squads to be the standard (unlikely). But that means that if the squads are 10-man, then that 36-squad unit must now be modeled as 360/13 = about 28 squads. And if they are 8-man, then it must be modeled as 288/13 = about 22 squads.

There is still no way you can fit modeling all three different sizes as if they were equal density into any logical system. The unit sizes are 288, 360, and 468. They can't have the same density.

You're managing to insert an assumption that Norm employed the same rationale as you do about how to determine how many squads a unit should have.

He didn't. From the available evidence, it would seem the historical Jesus/Norm Koger felt otherwise. I remember his posts rebutting criticism of his original TOAW. The argument was over its supposed inability to model the success of the British counterattack at Arras. He pointed out that the designer had used great big regiments for the little German 'Schutzen regiments' -- and asserted that these regiments should contain only 81 squads. Inasmuch as the 'squads' in this case were two-MG sections with fourteen men apiece or something, if we are to attempt to delve into Norm's mind, it would seem that he adhered to the Colin Wright school that a squad is a squad, no matter how small (or large).

The POINT -- which you are rather predictably failing to concede -- is that dumping in additional squads, whatever the rationale, will throw off the original density ratios.

This doesn't disturb me unduly -- but only because I don't think those density ratios are particularly sound to begin with. However, to the extent that there can be any one correct ratio, Norm's ratios probably err on the side of forcing excessive dispersion as they stand, and so dumping in still more equipment will make a bad situation worse.

Now, as I noted, the importance of this will vary, and in certain circumstances it may well be justified. However, it's not an unqualified win-win. What you gain in accuracy in one respect, you lose in another. It's a question of balance -- and where that balance will fall depends on the particular situation in question.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 3/27/2009 7:30:42 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 92
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/27/2009 7:21:08 PM   
ColinWright

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 93
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/27/2009 7:33:25 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I find your argument that the rear echelon elements can wind up fighting of some merit; the one for the need to reward encirclements less so. Encircling the enemy is plenty beneficial as it is.

If you just happen to find some isolated forces to encircle it will be. But if you're having to slash two pincers through the enemy front to achieve it then I don't think it is. I first noticed this in Grigsby's War in Russia. All he modeled were the frontline elements. As a result, it was far more efficient strategy to just atrit away those frontline elements by frontal assaults than the far more expensive task of driving pincers through the enemy defenses to create a pocket. What ended up in the pocket was rarely enough to justify the cost. And, despite massive pocketed forces, they were rebuilt almost immediately, since their losses amounted to no more than the frontline elements.

quote:

So whether adding the rear echelon elements would improve matters would depend on the answers to several questions:

1. In the decisive engagements, did the rear-echelon elements participate frequently enough to have a significant effect? It's much less important if they only joined in when the cause was already lost. In general, is the average combat power of the unit best represented with or without the rear-echelon units? The mapping section of the US 34th Infantry division may have once taken up arms -- but on the 383 other occasions when the division entered battle it did not. We're not going to improve our representation of the division if we put in two light rifles to represent the mapping section -- we'll make it worse.

In the case of France 1944 there is no question that, for the Germans, the answer is yes. By the time of Cobra, multiple divisions that had started out at 9,000 - 12,000 men had been reduced to 2,000 men or less. Clearly, far more than just the official frontline combat elements ended up fighting. Furthermore, the bulk of the extra stuff is in rear-area units (AAA, Art, HQ, Eng, etc.). So most of it isn't fighting from the start.

quote:

2. Will the added fidelity -- if any -- of modeling these elements outweigh the distortion to the density paradigms induced by dumping in so much extra equipment?

As I pointed out earlier, if both sides are modeled by the same standard, then they are equally affected. So then the adjustment to the Attrition Divider (set by test runs) effectively scales the density too. Had there been less density, they resulting AD would have ended up lower.

quote:

3. Did the rear-echelon elements fight well enough to make a big difference? My three year old son might well help me unload the truck; how much help he's providing is another matter.

Since I'm modeling only a fraction of the rear-area elements, their impact is effectively de-leveraged. Allied divisions may have had 14,000 non-frontline men in them. I've probably modeled less than 5,000 of them. Without some modeling of the rear combat elements, breakthroughs wipe out the artillery, HQs, etc. like they were civilians. It's unrealistic.

Again, I would simply submit the performance of France 1944 as experimental verification of the theory.

Post #: 94
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/27/2009 7:52:56 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

You're managing to insert an assumption that Norm employed the same rationale as you do about how to determine how many squads a unit should have.

I'm only assuming that he was a rational being. If he wasn't then why would we care what he assumed? There is no way anyone - be it you or Norm - can justify the same density for units composed of 288, 360, and 468 men each. Whatever density level TOAW may be tuned for, such units must be modeled with different quantities of squads to have their density correct.

This is actually kind of fun. I've somehow manuvered you into a hopeless situation. And since you can never admit you're wrong, you can't vacate it.

Let's just keep going with it. Explain again how units with 288, 360, and 468 men must have the same density.

quote:

The POINT -- which you are rather predictably failing to concede -- is that dumping in additional squads, whatever the rationale, will throw off the original density ratios.

Actually that POINT pertains to what I was doing in France 1944 - a completely different subject. But I predict you'll continue to attempt to inject it into this issue. Misdirection is you're only real option.

Post #: 95
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/28/2009 2:30:45 PM   
vahauser

Well, here is one way.  The area of a 5km hex is 21.65 sq. km.  The area of a 50km hex is 2165 sq. km. 

What is the 'average area' of a squad of 10 men?  If the average frontage is say, 10 meters per man (which I don't think is unbelievable), then a 10-man squad will occupy 1000 sq. meters.  1 square kilometer is 1,000,000 square meters. So, the area of a 5km hex is 21,650,000 square meters.  Thus, 21,650 10-man squads will "fill up" a hex at 10 meters frontage per man.

If the average frontage is 31.6 meters per man, then a 10-man squad will occupy 10,000 sq. meters.  And at this frontage only 2,165 10-man squads will "fill up" a 5km hex.

But, what happens when we are dealing in 'generalities' (and generic squads) and suffering density penalties when talking about only 216 squads?  At that point (100,000 sq. meters per 'squad') it doesn't matter much whether 14 men or 10 men or 8 men are filling that space (100,000 sq. meters).  The density difference of 14 men occupying 100,000 sq. meters and 10 men occupying 100,000 sq. meters is not terribly significant. 

Post #: 96
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/28/2009 2:35:16 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Since I'm modeling only a fraction of the rear-area elements, their impact is effectively de-leveraged. Allied divisions may have had 14,000 non-frontline men in them. I've probably modeled less than 5,000 of them. Without some modeling of the rear combat elements, breakthroughs wipe out the artillery, HQs, etc. like they were civilians. It's unrealistic.

You've added rear area elements to the combat units as well, though. How else would you get to over 200 squads for a British infantry brigade?

"What did you read at university?"
"War Studies"
"War? Huh. What is it good for?"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 97
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/28/2009 5:59:20 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: golden delicious

quote:

You've added rear area elements to the combat units as well, though. How else would you get to over 200 squads for a British infantry brigade?

Don't think of that unit as a peice of cardboard on a hexgrid. Think of it as a unit just as complicated as the division or corps, and the hex not as a hex, but as a huge tactical map. So, if the division can have its rear-areas affected, the brigade can, in a similar way - within the hex.

(in reply to golden delicious)
Post #: 98
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/28/2009 6:12:49 PM   
Curtis Lemay

Let's just consider two different situations:

First, a division is ordered to assault the enemy front lines. It does so for some time, until its entire frontline combat elements have been destroyed. At that point it is withdrawn from the frontline to the rear for re-fitting. It's lost about 4,000 combat troopers.

Second, a division is cutoff and surrounded behind enemy lines by enemy maneuvers. Trapped, every man must fight. But it's hopeless, and eventually the entire division is destroyed. All 18,000 men in the division are lost - including vast numbers of specialized, highly-trained officers, etc.

Now, consider that only the frontline elements were modeled in a TOAW scenario for this. In game terms, both results are exactly the same! In both cases, the division has been entirely destroyed. In both cases, the amount of equipment that had to be eliminated was the same. In both cases, the loss penalties awarded the enemy player are the same. In both cases, the replacement equipment needed to rebuild the division is the same.

But in the real world, those two situations are vastly different. In the first case, the division only needs some grunt replacements and it's ready to rejoin the fight. The really valuable parts of the division weren't damaged at all. Whereas, in the second case, the division must be rebuilt from scratch, with lots of very expensive equipment and personnel needed to be able to do so.

That's why I continue to believe that, if the situation is going to get wild or desperate, you've got to model the rear-areas.

Post #: 99
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/28/2009 6:13:35 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

This is actually kind of fun. I've somehow manuvered you into a hopeless situation. And since you can never admit you're wrong, you can't vacate it.

Believe that if you wish. As before, your conviction is only a comment upon yourself.

You do realize that your position boils down to claiming that adding equipment will not affect density? I mean, you do realize that, don't you?

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 3/28/2009 6:36:12 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 100
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/28/2009 6:28:39 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: vahauser

Well, here is one way.  The area of a 5km hex is 21.65 sq. km.  The area of a 50km hex is 2165 sq. km. 

What is the 'average area' of a squad of 10 men?  If the average frontage is say, 10 meters per man (which I don't think is unbelievable), then a 10-man squad will occupy 1000 sq. meters.  1 square kilometer is 1,000,000 square meters. So, the area of a 5km hex is 21,650,000 square meters.  Thus, 21,650 10-man squads will "fill up" a hex at 10 meters frontage per man.

If the average frontage is 31.6 meters per man, then a 10-man squad will occupy 10,000 sq. meters.  And at this frontage only 2,165 10-man squads will "fill up" a 5km hex.

But, what happens when we are dealing in 'generalities' (and generic squads) and suffering density penalties when talking about only 216 squads?  At that point (100,000 sq. meters per 'squad') it doesn't matter much whether 14 men or 10 men or 8 men are filling that space (100,000 sq. meters).  The density difference of 14 men occupying 100,000 sq. meters and 10 men occupying 100,000 sq. meters is not terribly significant. 

At 5km/hex, density penalties begin at 100 peices of equipment and above. So it makes a big difference.

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 101
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/28/2009 6:31:08 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Believe that if you wish. As before, your conviction is only a comment upon yourself.

I suppose I've tormented you enough with that. But think how much grief you could have saved yourself, if you had made the effort to actually comprehend what I was saying, instead of making a knee-jerk assumption that it was about France 1944.

Post #: 102
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/28/2009 6:37:01 PM   
vahauser

quote:

At 5km/hex, density penalties begin at 100 peices of equipment and above. So it makes a big difference.

Exactly. So, the problem isn't with the equipment, it's with the density calculations. At 50km per hex, how may pieces of equipment before density effects kick in? 5km has 21.65 sq. km area. 50km has 2165 sq km area. Thus, density effects at 50km should kick in at 10,000 pieces of equipment. I wonder if this happens...

Post #: 103
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/28/2009 6:40:45 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

I suppose I've tormented you enough with that. But think how much grief you could have saved yourself, if you had made the effort to actually comprehend what I was saying, instead of making a knee-jerk assumption that it was about France 1944.

God help us.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 104
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/28/2009 7:05:13 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

Exactly. So, the problem isn't with the equipment, it's with the density calculations. At 50km per hex, how may pieces of equipment before density effects kick in? 5km has 21.65 sq. km area. 50km has 2165 sq km area. Thus, density effects at 50km should kick in at 10,000 pieces of equipment. I wonder if this happens...

At 50km the penalties start at 5050. There's some non-linearity to the formula.

Regardless, whatever density formula you want, the density differences of 8-man squads vs. 13-man squads can't be discounted. They're just building blocks. Suppose you have 20 battalions in that 5km hex. Still think it should not matter whether the squads are 8-man or 13-man?

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 105
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/29/2009 6:30:09 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

I assure you you aren't 'tormenting me.' I waver between exasperation and contempt, I recurrently realize that this conversation is pointless, I am led to suspect that all conversations with you are pointless -- but I am not 'tormented.'

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 106
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/30/2009 7:34:06 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Don't think of that unit as a peice of cardboard on a hexgrid. Think of it as a unit just as complicated as the division or corps, and the hex not as a hex, but as a huge tactical map. So, if the division can have its rear-areas affected, the brigade can, in a similar way - within the hex.

Right. In the duration of the scenario, on how many occasions did rear area elements of a British infantry brigade enter into significant combat? Ten times? Twenty?

Now, how many does that work out to per brigade? How many times does the brigade fight in the scenario?

I'm going to estimate that rear area elements would become engaged in somewhere between 1% and 5% of actions. So in at least 95% of actions, those elements will fire and be fired at quite inappropriately.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 107
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/30/2009 7:35:23 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

That's why I continue to believe that, if the situation is going to get wild or desperate, you've got to model the rear-areas.

The situation got that desperate for the Germans. Not for the Allies.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 108
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/31/2009 3:46:25 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

Right. In the duration of the scenario, on how many occasions did rear area elements of a British infantry brigade enter into significant combat? Ten times? Twenty?

Now, how many does that work out to per brigade? How many times does the brigade fight in the scenario?

I'm going to estimate that rear area elements would become engaged in somewhere between 1% and 5% of actions. So in at least 95% of actions, those elements will fire and be fired at quite inappropriately.

Both sides have to be designed to the same standard, regardless. Otherwise, the Germans would have unrealistic counterattack abilities. And other factors, such as relative density and replacements would be off-kilter. As to how often they were engaged, I just think that WWII combat was messier than, say, WWI combat. Units got entangled on a regular basis due to the emphasis on penetration and exploitation. The brigade is only one step below the division. If the division's rear-areas are included, why not the brigade's? Think if the scenario had been designed at the 2.5km/hex, company scale.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 3/31/2009 3:48:05 AM >

Post #: 109
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/31/2009 6:26:44 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

Both sides have to be designed to the same standard, regardless. Otherwise, the Germans would have unrealistic counterattack abilities...

I think this fails on three scores. First, it's undemonstrated that the Germans would have 'unrealistic' counterattack abilities. Faced with a German counterattack, would an Anglo-American infantry brigade of mid-1944 really have started hoicking the cooks up to the firing line? Wouldn't they just have yelled for help and fallen back? Cooks, etc were sent up to the front in the Battle of the Bulge -- at least so legend says -- but the very fact that this was seen as remarkable points to how rare the practice was. Moreover, in that situation there was no help to hand. It wasn't like Normandy, with units jammed in cheek to jowl.

Second, even if it can be demonstrated that rear-area elements need to be represented for both sides, this ignores the question about whether the gains in fidelity offset the loss in fidelity due to the skewing of density factors.

Third, when rear-area elements are put in, they don't just fight in the 0-30% or whatever of engagements they did fight in -- they fight in all of them.

You have two sides. On one side, rear area elements virtually never fought. On the other, they fought some unknowable percentage of the time. Let's be generous and say 60%.

So for both forces in combination, the percentage of the times rear area elements fought comes to around 30% -- and I wouldn't be surprised if the number could be shown to be a third of that.

That means that your approach misrepresents most of the units most of the time. Given that it misrepresents their density all the time, I don't see how you can seriously argue that it's an unalloyed good.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 110
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/31/2009 7:34:54 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Think if the scenario had been designed at the 2.5km/hex, company scale.

Quite. In that situation, a British brigade HQ would never see action. Not so here. Why the difference?

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 111
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/31/2009 9:50:13 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

Think if the scenario had been designed at the 2.5km/hex, company scale.

Quite. In that situation, a British brigade HQ would never see action. Not so here. Why the difference?

Regardless of whether that is correct or not, that HQ would be modeled - just as division HQs are modeled when you have division-sized formations. Once I made the decision to model a portion of the rear-area elements, there was nothing special about the brigade parts of the divisions. Again, don't think of it as a cardboard counter.

Post #: 112
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 3/31/2009 10:01:09 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

I think this fails on three scores.

First of all, it doesn't fail on any score. The scenario works, period.

quote:

First, it's undemonstrated that the Germans would have 'unrealistic' counterattack abilities. Faced with a German counterattack, would an Anglo-American infantry brigade of mid-1944 really have started hoicking the cooks up to the firing line? Wouldn't they just have yelled for help and fallen back? Cooks, etc were sent up to the front in the Battle of the Bulge -- at least so legend says -- but the very fact that this was seen as remarkable points to how rare the practice was. Moreover, in that situation there was no help to hand. It wasn't like Normandy, with units jammed in cheek to jowl.

I'm talking about how the scenario would work under TOAW. And if German units are designed to one standard, with lots of rear-area elements included, and Allied units are designed to another, with none - the Germans will be unrealistically strong.

quote:

Second, even if it can be demonstrated that rear-area elements need to be represented for both sides, this ignores the question about whether the gains in fidelity offset the loss in fidelity due to the skewing of density factors.

Again, by designing to the same standard for both sides, the relative densities are correct. And, at least in Normandy, the absolute density is effectively adjusted by the adjustment to the Attrition Divider.

quote:

Third, when rear-area elements are put in, they don't just fight in the 0-30% or whatever of engagements they did fight in -- they fight in all of them.

I think the rationales that I've listed for the way I did it are more important.

quote:

You have two sides. On one side, rear area elements virtually never fought. On the other, they fought some unknowable percentage of the time. Let's be generous and say 60%.

The Germans sent about 500,000 men to Normandy. About 60,000 got out. The rest became casualties of one sort or other. Everybody fought.

quote:

So for both forces in combination, the percentage of the times rear area elements fought comes to around 30% -- and I wouldn't be surprised if the number could be shown to be a third of that.

15th Army didn't fight too much in this campaign, either. By this line of reasoning, I should have omitted them. The rear-area elements were on the field of battle and eventually fought. They need to be included.

Post #: 113
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 4/1/2009 6:03:19 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

I think this fails on three scores.

First of all, it doesn't fail on any score. The scenario works, period.

If by this you mean that in hot-seat matches with yourself, the forces wind up about where they did historically, that's not good enough.

The same can be said for the 'Barbarossa' segment of SPI's 'War In the East.' However, that is almost transparently not a simulation of anything.
quote:

quote:

First, it's undemonstrated that the Germans would have 'unrealistic' counterattack abilities. Faced with a German counterattack, would an Anglo-American infantry brigade of mid-1944 really have started hoicking the cooks up to the firing line? Wouldn't they just have yelled for help and fallen back? Cooks, etc were sent up to the front in the Battle of the Bulge -- at least so legend says -- but the very fact that this was seen as remarkable points to how rare the practice was. Moreover, in that situation there was no help to hand. It wasn't like Normandy, with units jammed in cheek to jowl.

I'm talking about how the scenario would work under TOAW. And if German units are designed to one standard, with lots of rear-area elements included, and Allied units are designed to another, with none - the Germans will be unrealistically strong.

quote:

Again, by designing to the same standard for both sides, the relative densities are correct. And, at least in Normandy, the absolute density is effectively adjusted by the adjustment to the Attrition Divider.

No...not really. If we assume Norm's density factors are correct, then where he (and probably the historical combatants) could jam in four regiments, if you try it, the density light will go off and you'll pay dearly for it. What one will get is a system where the historical density of troops simply cannot be put on the line -- assuming one doesn't want to get creamed, that is.
quote:

quote:

I think the rationales that I've listed for the way I did it are more important.

quote:

The Germans sent about 500,000 men to Normandy. About 60,000 got out. The rest became casualties of one sort or other. Everybody fought.

Should we apply the same logic to the French campaign of 1940? By the end of the campaign, over two million Frenchmen were casualties 'of one sort or other.' Ergo, everybody fought. Fact of the matter is, rear echelon elements can surrender. They can even fight ineffectually. They'll become casualties of 'one sort or another.' It doesn't follow that they were fighting usefully in the majority of engagements their parent formations were engaged in.
quote:

quote:

15th Army didn't fight too much in this campaign, either. By this line of reasoning, I should have omitted them. The rear-area elements were on the field of battle and eventually fought. They need to be included.

No...it would be nice if you could selectively include them. However, you can't. Therefore, you don't 'need to include them.' You need to decide which leads to a better simulation -- including them and having them fight in all battles (and drive up the density past what Norm intended), or not including them and have them not fight ever.

I also note that you didn't address my query about why it is appropriate to include Allied rear-echelon elements when it is quite improbable that they would have fought under any circumstances likely to arise in your scenario.

You asserted a while back that this had to be done because German rear-echelon elements were always fighting -- but this seems to be going at it the wrong way. Having included rear-echelon elements from one side because they sometimes fought, you find yourself including them from the other side even though they never fought.

It seems fairly obvious that simulation would be better served if the rear-echelon elements from neither side were included. Perhaps up the German rifle squad replacement rates.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 114
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 4/1/2009 9:15:22 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

It seems fairly obvious that simulation would be better served if the rear-echelon elements from neither side were included. Perhaps up the German rifle squad replacement rates.

That's probably best. The unit will never have both its full first line strength and its full rear echelon strength in action at the same time- yet this is what the Allies will face on the beaches in this scenario.

So boost replacement rates and replacement priorities. Cut the equivalent equipment from the units. The only problem is if the unit evaporates before it can receive replacements- but you could argue that in this situation the unit has been so thoroughly shocked by the attack that it needs to withdraw and reconstitute.

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

Post #: 115
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 4/1/2009 9:19:14 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

If by this you mean that in hot-seat matches with yourself, the forces wind up about where they did historically, that's not good enough.

Multiple hot-seat matches with myself, the PO, PO vs. PO, and useage in a TOAW tournament. And it performs far better than just matching the end positions. Multiple waypoints are met (given historical command choices), losses are realistic, and the historical choices of the commanders tend to be well justified for the historical reasons. The scenario speaks for itself. The AAR I posted speaks for itself. Of course, you can't even be bothered to read the AAR, much less play the scenario. As I've said before, total ignorance is not a very lofty vantage point.

quote:

No...not really. If we assume Norm's density factors are correct, then where he (and probably the historical combatants) could jam in four regiments, if you try it, the density light will go off and you'll pay dearly for it. What one will get is a system where the historical density of troops simply cannot be put on the line -- assuming one doesn't want to get creamed, that is.

How dearly depends upon both the density and the Attrition Divider. Since the AD was set based upon trial runs, only the relative density matters. That's correct, provided both sides are designed to the same standard. They were.

quote:

Should we apply the same logic to the French campaign of 1940? By the end of the campaign, over two million Frenchmen were casualties 'of one sort or other.' Ergo, everybody fought. Fact of the matter is, rear echelon elements can surrender. They can even fight ineffectually. They'll become casualties of 'one sort or another.' It doesn't follow that they were fighting usefully in the majority of engagements their parent formations were engaged in.

Normandy wasn't remotely like that. The French Army as a whole surrendered in 1940. There weren't even many real pockets formed in Normandy. It's safe to assume the vast majority of Germans were being engaged in action.

quote:

No...it would be nice if you could selectively include them. However, you can't. Therefore, you don't 'need to include them.' You need to decide which leads to a better simulation -- including them and having them fight in all battles (and drive up the density past what Norm intended), or not including them and have them not fight ever.

If they fought then they need to be included, same as the 15th Army - for the reasons I've listed. It was a desperate situation, and the breakout will be wild.

quote:

I also note that you didn't address my query about why it is appropriate to include Allied rear-echelon elements when it is quite improbable that they would have fought under any circumstances likely to arise in your scenario.

Of course I did. The forces have to be designed to the same standard. If the Germans are designed to one and the Allies to another, nothing will work right. The Germans will have counteroffensive abilities beyond their historical means. This will especially threaten the Allies while they are attempting to establish a lodgement in the early turns. And that threat will last far longer than historically. The Germans wanted to drive the Allies into the sea. It never developed for the good reason that each Allied division's 4,000-5,000 frontline elements had another 12,000-14,000 men behind them that would have had to have been destroyed too, if the counteroffensive was to succeed.

Nor have I conceded that the Allied rear-area elements were never engaged. For such a condition to be true, 100% of all Allied losses must have been suffered by the frontline elements only. Being in the Allied rear should have been as safe as being state-side. Yet we know that at least one American Lt. Gen was killed.

quote:

You asserted a while back that this had to be done because German rear-echelon elements were always fighting...

?? When?

quote:

... -- but this seems to be going at it the wrong way. Having included rear-echelon elements from one side because they sometimes fought, you find yourself including them from the other side even though they never fought.

Here we go again. The theory trumps the evidence. I've actually built the scenario, tested it extensively, while you've done nothing more than a thought experiment - but you're the expert.

Post #: 116
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 4/2/2009 6:45:17 PM   
vahauser

Here is a summary of a German infantry division TOE from 1939-41. Based on numbers of LMGs, can you derive ballpark estimates of the number of combat squads (rifle, heavy rifle, engineer, assault, etc.) in the division?

Of interest to me, the number of motorcycles does not seem to correspond to combat personnel. My estimate is that the vast majority of those motorcycles are being used (unarmed) as messengers, communications. My guess is that of the 450+ motorcycles in the division, perhaps only 120 or so (~12 squads) are actually armed combat machines.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 117
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 4/2/2009 9:27:31 PM   
golden delicious

quote:

Here is a summary of a German infantry division TOE from 1939-41. Based on numbers of LMGs, can you derive ballpark estimates of the number of combat squads (rifle, heavy rifle, engineer, assault, etc.) in the division?

A first wave infantry division as of about 1940 would be about as follows (by my standards);

324 Rifle Squads
18 Mounted Rifle squads (3 per regiment, 9 in the recon battalion)
9 Bicycle squads (up to you what you do with these)
36 Engineer squads (3 per regiment, 27 in the engineer battalion)

As the squads only have 12 MGs each, I would have no heavy rifle squads, but Colin would probably disagree. Assault rifle squads don't factor in at all until the closing months of the war.

quote:

Of interest to me, the number of motorcycles does not seem to correspond to combat personnel. My estimate is that the vast majority of those motorcycles are being used (unarmed) as messengers, communications. My guess is that of the 450+ motorcycles in the division, perhaps only 120 or so (~12 squads) are actually armed combat machines.

I don't believe any of the motorcycles are in combat units. They're in dribs and drabs throughout the division with a platoon under the HQ;

http://niehorster.orbat.com/011_germany/40_organ_army/div-inf_1-welle.html

"War Studies"
"Absolutely nothing."

(in reply to vahauser)
Post #: 118
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 4/2/2009 10:47:40 PM   
vahauser

Golden_Delicious,

That summary I posted above is probably a generic amalgamation of the first 5 waves (and perhaps more), not just the first wave.  However, the real question is can any useful information regarding combat-squad totals (total number of squads) and strengths (light rifle, heavy rifle, etc.) be estimated just by looking at a divisional summary such as the one I provided above?

[P.S.  I'm guessing that some of the motorcycles in each of the combat units (infantry regiments, recon battalion, engineer battalion, antitank battalion) were combat-trained and used regularly in combat (I'm guessing usually as recon/spotting/intel gathering).]

Post #: 119
RE: Rifle Squad Differences? - 4/2/2009 10:53:18 PM   
secadegas

quote:

As the squads only have 12 MGs each (...)

I think you mean "as the companies only have 12 MG's each"...

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Rifle Squad Differences? Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI