Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Raiders SP Arsenal scenarios-Do you play them?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Raiders SP Arsenal scenarios-Do you play them? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Raiders SP Arsenal scenarios-Do you play them? - 5/18/2002 12:22:40 PM   
Grenadier

How many of you play the scenarios designed by the SP Arsenal team, the official scenario design team for SPWaW? Our team puts a lot of effort for each issue of the SP Ardenal to give you the best quality scenarios from masters like the Kunel himself, Wild Bill, Marauder Melvyn, Redleg , Herr Professor-Dr Klaus Mueller-Buschbaum and myself:)

Do you play them? We need to know.
We are busy getting prepared to make the scenarios and campaigns for the upcoming Combat Leader and Close Assault but we will make SPWaW scenarios for you if you want them. Let us know. There seems to be a lot of competition for your playing time from many good scenario and campaign designers and the community may be oversaturated with SPWaW scenarios right now. This poll will give us an indication of how strong an interest there is in our work so we can best address your desires.
Thanks for voting

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://
Post #: 1
Plese please keep that way =) - 5/19/2002 12:32:25 AM   
Farfullo

Hi Brent and all SPWaW Official Scenary Designer please

Dont let us down please!!!!!! I apreciate your effords a lot and as you say there are many new designer and tons of new scenarios almost a new one every day however every scenario must be played even the simplest so i think you must be there designing for us...even if it was only one person. Dont let us down please!!!!!

This is all what i have to say about that.

Farf

Un amigo es el que viene cuando todos se han ido.

(in reply to Grenadier)
Post #: 2
- 5/19/2002 8:24:16 AM   
Drex

You have produced superb scenarios for SPWAW and others have taken up the flag. Now is the time for you to take your talents into new ground and do proud to the new games. We who have followed you up to now will continue to follow you. SPWAW has established itself and has a life of its own. Close Assault and Combat Leader now need your expertise to give it life and momentum-- and you can always do a SPWAW scenario every once in a while for fun:D

(in reply to Grenadier)
Post #: 3
- 5/23/2002 10:50:23 PM   
Unknown_Enemy

No I don't play them, I just download these to have the pleasure of having them laying on my hard drive.

:D

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn.
Yaah ! Yaah ! Cthulhu fhtagn ! Cthulhu fhtagn !

(in reply to Grenadier)
Post #: 4
- 5/24/2002 5:40:38 AM   
Farfullo

Yeah!! Unknown Enemy...that is an option hehehehehe :D however....play them is the best one. only try it and enjoy :) .

But perhaps Drex has the truth and i am wrong...because my list of unplayed scen is greater than the played one.....

Drex i have thought this question more slowly and perhaps it is time to let other people to take the flag however i have to say that will play those scen..not today nor tomorrow perhaps nor next week but i am sure that i will play them some day. Hehehehe :) i am afraid about never seeing any scenario from the Arsenal Team again...but i hope it never happen.

Only that...Hehehehhe :) i hope that someone can understand me....it is my real and better wish.

Bye all and be fun

Farf

Un amigo es el que viene cuando todos se han ido.

(in reply to Grenadier)
Post #: 5
- 5/24/2002 6:47:35 AM   
Drex

Farfullo, I too have many scenarios I have not yet played yet but hope to and I will continue to download new ones for my gaming library. However I said the Arsenal team should direct its main efforts towards the new games: I doubt that any of them will abandon SPWAW. they put too much of themselves into it. I suggested that they could always do a SPWAW scenario for the fun of it, which is what its all aboout any how. In the meantime there are many new scenario builders out there who will fill our insatiable appetites.

(in reply to Grenadier)
Post #: 6
- 5/24/2002 11:40:49 AM   
Fallschirmjager

Thats my biggest problem.

The games take so many hours thats its hard to get a single game done in a 2-5 day time span.

One of my suggestions for CL is to shorten the time a game takes anyway possible.

(in reply to Grenadier)
Post #: 7
- 5/26/2002 4:09:44 PM   
Frank W.

i rather play campaigns then single scenarios.

(in reply to Grenadier)
Post #: 8
- 5/29/2002 9:16:37 PM   
challenge

I agree with the campaign/scenario comment above. I haven't played much in the past few months (RL issues), but I prefer knowing I need to deal with a series of Hell's rings one after another than one at a time.

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

(in reply to Grenadier)
Post #: 9
- 5/31/2002 4:14:49 PM   
learnerever

all the Hurtgen scenarios are cool

"Hurting in Hurtgen" that comes with the game is
one of the best small scale scenarios

the Hurtgen five I downloaded from the Armor Site are
excellent too

I only tried campaigns once (v 4.5 back then) and
didn't like the fact that a scenario you were supposed
to lose in you won and then got a message like "colonel
that operation was a disaster" and in the next scenario
for example your forces would start having advanced only
a few city blocks while in the previous one you conquered
the whole town .

also there was them edited russian infantry in a building
that was surrounded by 20 stugs,tigers and other tanks
and they fired two turns into the building killing one of the
heroes of the motherland. The unit got so dishearted by
the loss they smoked the hex and retreated , only to return
next round

in the Hurtgen scenarios I kept losing areas and equipment
I had won in the beginning of the next scenario , but it
wasn't a campaign and was a series of historical scenarios
so that was ok.

smallish ,medium scenarios with lots of different units in a
alternating landscape and events are best i think

and while some of the "million infantry and t-34 tanks go
from this side of the map to that side of the map in 20 turns
supported by all the artillery in the world" scenarios might
be historically correct they might get rather boring and I
rather might watch that as a replay of someone elses game.

thanks for everything though

(in reply to Grenadier)
Post #: 10
- 5/31/2002 6:12:18 PM   
Charles2222

For those who think shorter scenarios are just the thing, I would suggest you put some more thought into it. I know that not being able to complete a battle in one session seems really decisive to some people, but even if one battle takes often 2-5 days for you to complete, as it can with me sometimes, the other end of things is worse in my opinion.

Suppose a battle takes 10 hours to complete, on average. You have a lot of problems knocking that amount down. For one thing I've expressed frustration with the 'mine' system, it's just too blasted long.

By the mine system I mean that mines take for too long to spot. This is even getting to be a problem for me in the standard-time campaign battles. The mines are taking longer to spot as of V.5, and I wouldn't be surprised if they've been unannouncingly been made harder to spot since.

The reverse awful opposite of that is how mines are handled in scenarios. For some reason, I suspect it's because accomodations are being made to make it difficult for the gamey, designers don't follow the campaign standard. They seem to think that giving 20 turns for a meeting engagement is the same thing as 20 turns in an assault with mines galore. I admit, 20 turns is usually a pretty good rate for a meeting engagement, though I think the campaign has it at 30 turns, but when you throw mines in there, that should change everything, as indeed the campaign does.

I don't rant in this manner for the sake of changing scenarios, because as far as I'm concerned that's a lost war anyway, but I do it in the hopes that people will reflect a bit more on how much different CL may become because of insistence on basically completing a game in one sitting, and also that CL campaigns would at least hold out to "the longer battles".

What has changed? We have campaign assaults which are often 35-40 turns long. We have designers who make those same battles often 18-23 turns long. From what I've seen, there's been no change whatsoever, in designing, once the mines became harder to spot. The fact of the matter is that scenarios haven't become longer due to too many turns, but they are often "played" longer because one is spending so much more time trying to find mines (for the gamey, of course that's not too much of a problem because they always know where they are anyway) though from what I've seen the mine placement is getting more unpredictable as the AI sets them.

The fact of the matter is, aside from the mines, that it's going to take you just as long to take what you've always taken no matter the turns allowed. If the total casualties amount to a couple of platoons lost for each side, with maybe one cluster of objectives taken, then they can make real short scenarios with very few units and that would speed things and make them very shallow compared to now. Personally I like playing to annihilate the enemy, which takes longer, but I doubt that something quicker such as much smaller forces, and one objective cluster right on the enemy front line would be very enjoyable even for those who aren't more into annihilating the other forces.

I'm just not so sure that many realize the full displeasure of the scenarios becoming shorter, yet, as compared to having to hash out a battle over a few days. Matter-of-factly I now find the most demoralizing and boring part of the game is having to place units on the map (and no, I don't use auto-deploy, which seems pointless). I enjoy the fighting so much with generally between 90-115 units on my side, that I sure don't want to be spending more of my time in the boring tedium of placing units (though upgrading is generally fun).

Thanks.

(in reply to Grenadier)
Post #: 11
- 6/7/2002 10:18:13 AM   
OKW-73

Why dont you put a download counter for each scenario file? in that way you can see how much people download them ;)
there are free services in net that can be used, so no need to worry about costs...sorry that cannot give any specific url where to find it, but using "download counter" word in yahoo or similar should give some results.

"You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone." - Al Capone

(in reply to Grenadier)
Post #: 12
- 6/9/2002 6:41:22 PM   
antarctic

Ummmm.... Whenever I try to enter the SPWAW section of the SP Arsenal , I get a 500 error.... Internal Server Error... Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks

Antarctic

(in reply to Grenadier)
Post #: 13
Some REALLY good scenarios..... - 6/13/2002 2:43:22 AM   
gainiac

But I'd love more campaigns of the longer variety.

Marty

(in reply to Grenadier)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Raiders SP Arsenal scenarios-Do you play them? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI