Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Run from External drive?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support >> Run from External drive? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Run from External drive? - 4/6/2009 9:03:06 PM   
Major SNAFU_M

Hi all,

I have a problem in that I have a laptop that is locked down (company) and I cannot install programs on it.

I want to be able to play the Campaign Series while travelling. This means I have to be able to copy the installed directory from my home machine onto an external drive and be able to run the program from there.

I have been successful with a few other titles in getting this to work, but when I try to run WF, EFII or RS I get an error message saying to contact Matrixgames support because of error code 486.

I suspect that the install/serial code is being stored and referenced outside of the installed directory. Is there ayway to overcome this? I don't want to promote illegal behaviour, but I do want to be able to play what I purchased on when travelling.

Thanks

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"
Post #: 1
RE: Run from External drive? - 4/6/2009 10:18:52 PM   
sfinlay

Hi

I would try installing the game (from scratch) onto your external hard drive, as opposed to merely copying the directory from one drive to the other. If you just copy the directory i'm guessing the game would be looking for the serial on your C drive. (which it wouldn't find as you have effectively changed the drive)
Just a thought.

(in reply to Major SNAFU_M)
Post #: 2
RE: Run from External drive? - 4/6/2009 10:49:18 PM   
Jason Petho

I don't think it is possible, as it is looking for the registration.

Unless you can somehow edit the registration on your work machine, creating an entry for the Campaign Series with the proper serial.

Jason Petho

(in reply to sfinlay)
Post #: 3
RE: Run from External drive? - 4/7/2009 3:28:37 AM   
Major SNAFU_M

Hi Jason,

Is the registration stored in the registry? If so, then I am probably out of luck.

I will look for where it is stored on my home machine and then see if I can make a plan.

Thanks!

"Popular Opinion? What I suggest you do with 'Popular Opinion' is biologically impossible and morally questionable." -

"One ping to find them all,
One ping to link them;
One ping to promote them all,
and in the darkness sink them"

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 4
RE: Run from External drive? - 4/12/2009 11:39:28 PM   
borsook79

quote:

ORIGINAL: Major SNAFU

Hi Jason,

Is the registration stored in the registry? If so, then I am probably out of luck.

I will look for where it is stored on my home machine and then see if I can make a plan.

Thanks!

Alternatively you could just try to run the system from the external drive, Linux plus wine would be the most obvious choice, there are also unofficial windows mods meant for such circumstances.

(in reply to Major SNAFU_M)
Post #: 5
RE: Run from External drive? - 5/7/2009 6:08:51 PM   
markw

Speaking of WINE and Linux.

Has anyone played the CS games within this environment?

I'm thinking of making Ubuntu my official OS on my home machine (still have Vista as an alternate boot-up).

Seeing as really the CS and BG games are about all I play, I'd like to play them in WINE if possible, but not sure how well they would work.

(in reply to borsook79)
Post #: 6
RE: Run from External drive? - 5/7/2009 10:06:31 PM   
Arkady

Install the game on your home machine to external drive (use same letter of the drive as you have assigned from your company laptop) then export registry key for JTCS to a file.

Connect external drive to company laptop and double click the exported registr file, it should add registry entry. Now you should be able to play. Additionall you may need another registry file that delete previousl created registry entries before you connect to our company network ;)

(in reply to markw)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> John Tiller’s Campaign Series Support >> Run from External drive? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI