Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What kinds of music do you listen to?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What kinds of music do you listen to? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What kinds of music do you listen to? - 5/18/2002 9:12:17 AM   
KG Erwin

I've been a music fan from the cradle, and I am a musician as well as a wargamer. I'm a fan of Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, the Beatles,the Stones,the Who, Led Zeppelin,Aerosmith, Pearl Jam & many others. That pretty much covers the history of rock n roll as we know it. I also love classical music, from Mozart to Samuel Barber. Reggae, the blues, German military marches ("Erika", I love that one), movie themes (Lawrence of Arabia, cool), gospel quartets (my father was in one, I have a weakness for four-part harmonies, so I love the Beach Boys, too). I DO NOT have any ear or need for hip-hop/rap/country. I have to give a caveat for country music, though, because I'm from West Virginia and I DO like a good bluegrass tune if it's played well. The "Oh, Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack pretty much fulfills that need, as well as "Appalachia Waltz", which features Yo Yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, & Mark O'Conner. Now that I've divulged my musical tastes, what about the rest of you?
Post #: 1
Music that makes me cry - 5/18/2002 9:32:17 AM   
KG Erwin

I have to add that "Appalachia Waltz" is the one tune that touches me in a way I can't describe. This is the memory trigger, of parents and grandparents, friends & other loved ones lost. Perhaps I need another topic of "memory triggers". Hmm.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
- 5/18/2002 9:52:19 AM   
Mojo

Yoikes:eek: As a classically trained musician it might be easier to list what I don't listen to.

I can't stand most opera, though I do go around singing Gilbert and Sullivan on occasion. (I have a karaoke HMS Pinafore thats fun.) I also can't get into free form, atonal, fusion jazz. I also don't have much use for most corporate Nashville country music.

With the exception of rap/hip hop and I think I've played just about all mainstream music. (Can you even "play"rap?) Orchestral, concert and marching band, swing/big band, punk, rock, r&b, funk, blues, both country and western ;) and a little bluegrass but I'm strictly a rhythm player for that.

So I guess the short answer is I like it all!

If something's not working you might want to tunk it a dite.
Mojo's Mom

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
- 5/18/2002 10:58:37 AM   
Drex

I went through my rock music phase in the 60's/70's but now I excusively listen to classical; preferably romantic to modern(from beethoven to John adams. It moves me emotionally as well as intellectually.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
- 5/18/2002 12:51:26 PM   
scimitar

Classic, rock, folk, country. I also like those arrangements between relaxing music and natural sounds (classic with thunder and rain, by example. Really effective against stress ;) )

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 5
- 5/18/2002 3:43:21 PM   
Marc von Martial

Basically Punk Rock, Hardcore, Crossover a bit of Rap and Hip Hop but also love a lot of the 60´s & 70´s classics. Independent or alternative, however you want o call it ;)
Some electronic stuff like Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy etc. Big Beats and Easy listening, some modern Jazz too.

It´s really widespread, it must ge good music and give me a nice feeling that´s it ;) .

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
- 5/18/2002 5:03:03 PM   
NaKATPase

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Marc Schwanebeck
[B]Basically Punk Rock, Hardcore, [/B][/QUOTE]

You listen to german punk/hxc bands? or more british/american?
And if german, what are some good ones?

Thnx!

Oh, and to answer the question...
If it [B]hasn't[/B] been on mtv and it's been performed since 1980 I probably listen to it... also listen to beatles/crickets, herman's hermits... glenn miller/tommy dorsey... alot of wagner (no, I don't use psychoactive drugs ;)) and i also love elgar's pomp and circumstance marches... not the one you're thinking of, but the other 4...

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 7
- 5/18/2002 10:00:18 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Well I have a wacky combination of tastes to be sure (wackier than most I think at least).

You can find me enjoying big band because I watch to many old war movies and it just seems natural to me.

Then there is Rush, one of the world's most accopmplished Rock Bands. Some don't like Geddy Lee's voice but at least you can understand what he is saying clearly.

Lived through disco, and I am not afraid to say I love Abba. Oddly enough, Abba always makes me think of Squad Leader. But then a buddy and I love the music and we played it a lot while playing Squad Leader.

I love Celine Dion. So what if you are sick of hearing the Titanic tune, I love it. And besides we are both Quebecers hehe.

I prefer music that uplifts and is positive. Explains why I think the whiny complaining politically intense anti social rap music sucks. I am being generous just allowing it to be called music.
I don't "hate" country, but if you just lost any of your wife/girlfriend/house/job (in any combination or order) just don't expect me to enjoy sharing your misery in a song.

I love listening to anime music. Yes I said anime music. The music popular to Japanese anime. Takes a tough man to say he enjoys listening to the music of Sailormoon heheh.
Actually a great deal of the music from anime is astoundingly well done. It came as a surprise to me how good it actually is when I first encountered it. Great for listening to while I am in my shop as well. Not very distracting when I can speak Japanese anyway.
Yes it's often icky sweet, but after spending the 90's with depression, I don't mind excessively happy music.

The one tune I hope I have played at the conclusion of my last day, is Amazing Grace on bagpipes. Anyone dissing the pipes in my presence will also likely lose their shins. There isn't a tune out there that I love crying to more.

Through it all, I require one thing in my music. If you can't speak clearly while singing, then you are not a great singer. All the music I listen too is "easy" to listen too.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 8
- 5/18/2002 10:06:46 PM   
sven

Nine Inch Nails

Wagner

Brahms

Nitzer Ebb

Patsy Cline

Depeche Mode

Ministry

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 9
- 5/18/2002 11:20:00 PM   
Kanon Fodder

Too much to list, but I tend to agree with the "Rap", "Hip-Hop","Corporate Country" and "Opera" leanings mentioned above.
* meaning those are the genres I avoid

Most of what I like is guitar-based - check out Johnny A. if you haven't already.

As I write this I am listening to Steve Howe's latest: "Natural Timbre". All acoustic guitar instrumentals. (Steve Howe was/is the guitarist from "Yes")

We have a good music scene here in Portland and I am able to see a lot of good artists in smaller venues for $25 or less.

I have just about replaced my record collection on CD but am still looking for some of the more obsure stuff I liked in the '60s and '70s. It's great to be able to listen to them again with out the bics and crackles and pops ...

Maybe that's why my gaming budget suffers - my first love is music. I have probably dropped $40,000+ in the last 15 years.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 10
Re: What kinds of music do you listen to? - 5/19/2002 12:26:23 AM   
Ardle

[QUOTE]Originally posted by KG Erwin
[B]...I am a musician as well as a wargamer...[/B][/QUOTE]
Me too, a multi-instrumentalist with my own modest studio from which I knock out original blasts of alternative rock. Good to hear that someone else has this bizarre split between totally cool and totally nerdy hobbies.:D

I'm a punk at heart, and subscribe to the 'no rules' school of music as exemplified by the likes of Guided by Voices, Wire, Pere Ubu, The Fall, Killing Joke, The Raincoats, and many other artistes you've also never heard of. Quite partial to earlier stuff such as The Who, Frank Zappa, Kinks, & Syd Barrett as well, and not averse to the odd bit of jazz, lounge or classical, either.

"You one of those right wing nut outfits?" inquired the diplomatic Metzger.
Fallopian twinkled. "They accuse us of being paranoids."
"They?" inquired Metzger, twinkling also.
"Us?" asked Oedipa.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
- 5/19/2002 12:28:43 AM   
Ardle

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sven
[B]
Patsy Cline

[/B][/QUOTE]

??:eek: !!

"Us?" asked Oedipa.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
- 5/19/2002 10:18:11 AM   
Fred98

As a teenager I liked music.

Then I grew up.

Occasionally I hear a tune that makes one of my feet move up and down all on its own. And I quickly bring it under control.

But otherwise I have zero interest in music.

Music is a waste of time.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 13
- 5/19/2002 10:49:18 AM   
sven

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ardle
[B]

??:eek: !! [/B][/QUOTE]

she had a beautiful voice...

was lost too soon...

JMHO

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 14
- 5/19/2002 11:55:31 AM   
Randy

I wish Paul had put up this poll, this one is much easier to answer.
I like mostly 70s stuff: Fleetwood Mac, Frampton, Eagles, America,
BTO,... But I also like some of the bridge music 70s-80s Journey, Styx, Police, Blondie etc. I also like Inya and Kenny G. It would probably be easier to list what I do not like: Hiphop, Rap, and C&W. I prefer to study to classical since there are no words to start singing to.

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 15
- 5/19/2002 6:05:11 PM   
Ardle

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joe 98
[B]
Music is a waste of time. [/B][/QUOTE]
Heretic! Unbeliever!

"Us?" asked Oedipa.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 16
- 5/20/2002 12:55:04 AM   
Oggidoggi

I like a variety of music:
- HMS Pinafore is my favorite opera/musical.
- Hank Williams Sr., Johnny Cash, and any other old time country.
- Classical: Holst "The Planets," Wagner, and some opera.
- Big Band: When I'm playing historical wargames. A couple of months ago I bought a 2 CD set entitled Glenn Miller "The Lost Recordings." Miller's final sessions, before he disappeared over the English Channel and originally made for broadcast to Germany as part of the Allies' propaganda campaign. A number of songs are sung in the german language.
- Movie soundtracks like: LOTR, Bladerunner, Original Star Wars, Bram Stoker's Dracula, etc...
- Computer game soundtracks: Mech Warrior, DOOM, Quake, Diablo (the music made this game great!), etc...
- Metal: Early Metallica, Obituary, early Carcass (in their medical jargon days!), the immortal CELTIC FROST! (are you morbid?), Blind Guardian ( "Nightfall in Middle-Earth" Rules!!!), Candlemass (Epicus Doomicus Metallicus!)
- Christian Metal: Antestor, Sanctifica, Extol, Tourniquet. Lots of great Christian metal CD's can be found at Blastbeats.com
I'm a bit of a Metal Head, so sue me! Now if I can only keep from going deaf before the age of forty...

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 17
- 5/20/2002 1:08:27 AM   
Marc von Martial

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NaKATPase
[B]

You listen to german punk/hxc bands? or more british/american?
And if german, what are some good ones?

Thnx!
[/QUOTE]

I mostly listen to UK/US stuff, but there´s really good german stuff out there. Well, "good" is allways a subjective thing, but some german stuff you might give a try is:

http://www.beatsteaks.com (my fav song is "Summer" )
http://www.steakknife.org ("dirtpig" has some familiar sounds , hehe ;) )
http://www.waterdown.de

some friends of mine:
http://www.argwohn.de
http://www.toofargone.de

Some have german lyrics, some english, some both. Most of the websites are in english or at least have an english section.

If you click through the link sections you will have stuff to surf around for ages ;). I found there´s nothing better to discover "new" or better say underground bands when you click through the link pages of their websites.

@Sven:

Hey we have something in commen at last ;). Love NIN and Ministry too ;)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 18
- 5/20/2002 2:47:55 PM   
stevemk1a

Music is an incredibly personal and subjective issue. Most people like whatever music was playing when their hormones kick in. As a teenager I loved hard rock and punk, but now I listen to pretty much everything. My Brother in Law is lead guitar in a country band and now I appreciate that too. Good music is good music - (Blue oyster cult is the most underrated band of the 1970's) Thx- Steve...:D

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 19
- 5/20/2002 4:17:49 PM   
ananias

As a young boy(read: 4-5 years ago), I used to like punk (Ramones, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys...etc.) and metal (Metallica, Sepultura, Pantera, Slayer...etc.). Then I grew up.

Nowdays I enjoy the older rock and heavy (Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple...). I have also started to listen to the newer swedish rockbands, such as Backyard Babies, The Hives, and Hellacopters.

Oh, and I dislike techno, rap-"music" and r&b.

"Man shouldn't have to live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." -Spike.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 20
- 5/21/2002 2:05:11 AM   
WhiteRook

Sorry - no musical bones in my body like all you talented guys! ;)
I love lots of stuff from the 60's and 70's, though I listen to it less and less now days. I am pretty much a classical kind of guy, with bigband and swing included.
I have a bunch of cassette singles that I bought in the 80's when I worked for Musicland. Most of them were remakes of older stuff.
The only thing I have a real problem with - meaning that I have a hard time calling it music. Is Opera, hiphop, heavy metal and rap.
They all make my skin crawl! :eek: But one of my cassette singles is a Gun's & Roses tune! :cool: Not sure why buy I like the darn thing. :D

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 21
- 5/21/2002 5:36:46 AM   
Mojo

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ananias
[B]As a young boy(read: 4-5 years ago), I used to like punk (Ramones, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys...etc.) and metal (Metallica, Sepultura, Pantera, Slayer...etc.). Then I grew up.

Nowdays I enjoy the older rock and heavy (Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple...). I have also started to listen to the newer swedish rockbands, such as Backyard Babies, The Hives, and Hellacopters.

Oh, and I dislike techno, rap-"music" and r&b. [/B][/QUOTE]

You don't have to stop being a "punk" just because you grow up! There are still times I strip down to my skivvies, plug in the amp, turn up the stereo with Sex Pistols on and leap about the living room.

Much to the dismay and displeasure of my last ex you came home early from her MBA class to catch me in mid leap from the arm of the couch.

"WTF are you doing!"

"What do you mean dear?"

"You heard me what are you doing. Have you gone crazy?"

"Just playing some music"

"God the neighbors can see you. You didn't even close the curtains."

"Hey baby ever boff a punk rock star?"

"No and for God's sake put on some clothes."

Oh well another relationship doomed.:D Critics sheesh

BTW the Hives rock

Mojo's Mom

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 22
- 5/21/2002 7:21:03 AM   
Easy8

I can appreciate just about anything. When I played professionally, it was mostly blues, rockabilly, C&W from the '50s and '60s, surf instrumentals, etc. Guess if you had to pin a label on it, call it "American Roots Music". I was pretty much of an elitist back then and disdained anything current.

A lot of you guys mentioned the Sex Pistols. Saw them at a kicker bar in Dallas, the Longhorn Ballroom, and was blown away by their energy and attitude. Rock music was so stagnant at time and they really opened a lot of peoples eyes.

Ironically, the older I get, the more open-minded I get. My tastes are a lot more varied now than in my "purist" days. I listen to everything from the Beatles and Hendrix to AC-DC to the MTV stuff my kids expose me to.

"The problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the present" -Hobbes

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 23
Re: What kinds of music do you listen to? - 5/21/2002 1:10:18 PM   
tohoku

Sisters of Mercy, Joy Division, Children on Stun, The Merry Thoughts, Kraftwerk, Laibach, Malice Lizer, Shingo Mama, Bauhaus, pre-80s Alice Cooper, Vivaldi, Mozart, various cello things, Plainsong, Gregorian chant, Brian Eno, Rammstein, The The, Shonen Knife, The Cure, The Mission, Disjectra Membra, The Clash, Salmonella Dub, The Mutton Birds, Headless Chickens, Fields of the Nephilim, lots of 80's stuff of various flavours, Every Little Thing, Lar'c en Ceil, and.... other stuff.

tohoku
YMMV

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 24
- 5/21/2002 2:25:17 PM   
ananias

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mojo
[B]
You don't have to stop being a "punk" just because you grow up! There are still times I strip down to my skivvies, plug in the amp, turn up the stereo with Sex Pistols on and leap about the living room.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, sometimes when I´m feeling nostalcig, I dig up some Sex Pistols or The Clash, and jump around a bit. But it´s easier to jump around with the Hives, because they sound a bit more "fresh".

Also, when Joey Ramone (R.I.P) died, I bought the The Best Of The Ramones, and listend to it to remember the "old times". I **** nearly cried.

[B]
Much to the dismay and displeasure of my last ex you came home early from her MBA class to catch me in mid leap from the arm of the couch.
[/B][/QUOTE]

LOL!

[B]
BTW the Hives rock
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, the certainly do. The White Stripes rock too, and also, let´s not forget The Strokes.

"Man shouldn't have to live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise." -Spike.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 25
- 5/21/2002 2:38:11 PM   
ananias

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Easy8
[B]
A lot of you guys mentioned the Sex Pistols. Saw them at a kicker bar in Dallas, the Longhorn Ballroom, and was blown away by their energy and attitude. Rock music was so stagnant at time and they really opened a lot of peoples eyes.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Was that before or after the (in)famous "Sid-smashes-a-cowboy-in-the-head-with-his-bass"-incident?

I remember how they tried a comeback in 1996, or so. Their comeback-tour was named "filthy lucre" by the band themselves. They played in Finland in this big music festival, or actually, would have played. They where bombed down from the stage with bottles by dissappointed, drunken youngsters. A **** shame, really.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 26
- 5/21/2002 6:11:30 PM   
Easy8

[QUOTE]Was that before or after the (in)famous "Sid-smashes-a-cowboy-in-the-head-with-his-bass"-incident? [/QUOTE]

I believe that happened in San Antonio, around the same time (1977 ???)

"The problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the present" -Hobbes

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 27
- 5/25/2002 8:47:54 PM   
RockinHarry

Well..at age of 10 I fell in love with ABBA´s music, besides some of the disco stuff of the late 70´s (BeeGees ect). Later on my elder brother brought Rock Music to my ears. Was Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, early Van Halen, Black Sabbath, Whitesnake, Yngwe Malmsteen (...for short duration) Iron Maiden, Judas Priest ect., all music that made me learning the guitar (acoustic) at age of 12. Starting electric guitar with age of 14 I soonly joined my first band and stayed with Rock/Metal music througout the 80´s. My faves at this time were mainly Ozzy Osbourne (always great guitarists!), Queensryche, J.Priest, VanHalen, Blue Murder, and still much of the very good 70´s stuff like D.Purple and Zep. At the same time I fell in love with classical music (except opera) and one composer that in particular touched the deepest depths of my heart and mind was J.Brahms with his symphonies. (4th kicks a..) But there are many good others I like. Hindemith, R.Strauss, Sibelius, Grieg..I think most were from the "Romantic" period (late 19th century). Film music I liked the "conan the Barbarian" soundtrack much. I forgot name of the composer though.
Another band that not only impresses me, but also touches something with me was the canadian band RUSH! I´m still great fan of this band and had the luck to see them live in Cologne in 1992 (Roll the bones tour). This band has it all, great musicians, great melodies and very unique and creative ways to play their music. Hard to believe this is a band of 3 men when you hear them! This band also makes me getting interested in playing drums and liking synthesizers. Unfortunately they never were really succesful in a more commercial way. (Faves: Signals, Moving Pictures, Grace under Pressure)
Nowadays I like a much greater varity of music styles, well produced dance and pop/rock songs, Robby Williams, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Missy Elliot (..in general I don´t like RAP style music), Alanis Morissette, Daft Punk, Madonna, En Vogue, Goo Goo Dolls, Modern Talking (Noooo...just kidding!! :D ) and other stuff from the charts. If it´s well produced (good sound) and has good melodies/groove, has unique musical ideas, intensity and good singer, I´m usually open minded to many different styles, no matter wether it´s commercial or underground. There are even some "techno" and simplistic rock tunes I like. Too bad I don´t have really enough time anymore to hear much music, cause of my own activities with making music myself (Dance, Pop, Rock..). If there weren´t wargames like SPWAW, CM and Panzer Elite that I waste too much time on playing, I probably would be a famous music producer today! :D :eek:

Special greetings to all you other musicians here, no matter what style or instrument you play. :) Keep playing on!

_________
Harry

RockinHarry in the web:

https://www.facebook.com/harry.zann

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 28
U2 - 5/25/2002 11:58:25 PM   
U2

I will listen to U2 till the day I die.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 29
- 5/26/2002 12:05:17 AM   
Mojo

Anybody listen to Elvis Costello's new CD? It's great. "Spooky Girlfriend" has been running through my head for days now

Mojo's Mom

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> What kinds of music do you listen to? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI